IMDb > Wildflower (1991) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wildflower

Wildflower (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A sensitive treatment of suffering.

Author: plbwild from United Kingdom
19 November 2005

Patricia Arquette's best film in my humble opinion. She has obviously, thoroughly researched the conditions suffered by her character and is very convincing. Having one of the conditions myself, I was hesitant about watching this film at first. However, in spite of the Hollywood style happy ending where the bad guy (brilliantly played by Norman Maxwell) got his comeuppance, I still found it to be an interesting and sensitive handling of a subject many people prefer to ignore and hope it'll go away. Beau Bridges' character did appear to come around rather sharply. A change for the better, thank goodness but I wonder if he might have been more reluctant. Having said that, a lot of ground needed to be covered in the hour and a half and it would be churlish of me to downgrade an otherwise wonderful film.

Powerful and Touching

Author: Al Culp (AlCulp@aol.com)
24 December 2001

Powerful movie for the entire family. Patricia Arquette is very believable as an abused and love starved child. Beau Bridges performance and transition is believable and touching. We have worn out two VHS copies. I only wish this made for TV movie was available in DVD format.

Patricia Arquette is phenomenal!!!

Author: ducky42378 from United States
28 March 2006

This has got to be the best movie, TV or otherwise, that I have ever seen. It does all the right things, touches your heart and takes you right into the lives of the characters. Patricia Arquette is one of the best actresses of all time. She rarely gets credit for her work, she deserves so much more. All of the characters are wonderfully played and the chemistry is incredible. What a great movie for everyone to watch. I think that all people can benefit greatly from watching this movie. It delves into a part of human suffering that more often than not isn't mentioned or is just glanced over. Although I am not deaf, I have had experiences with deaf people and they are some the most animated and expressive people I've ever met. Patrica Arquette plays her character so well, that it's hard to realized that she's not really deaf. Actors like her are few and far between.

Ignorance knows no bounds

Author: helpless_dancer from Broken Bow, Oklahoma
11 July 2002

A young girl is locked away in a feed outhouse way out in the country because her redneck father thinks she is off her rocker. When 2 neighbor kids befriend her she begins to come out of her shell and slowly become functional after years as a recluse. Very good picture.

Really liked it, touching, an upper

Author: susandavis309 from Vancouver, Washington
16 July 2003

A touching movie, clean language. I really liked it. It's dramatic, sensitive, thought-provoking, and has a good ending--an upper. The actress who plays Alice Guthrie is beautiful and did and exceptional job of portraying the character.

One of my favorites of All Time

Author: Bernd Bosig from Germany
14 June 2005

Don't forget about this film.. Listen to your inner heart and you will experience an extraordinary movie. Patricia Arquette is wonderful as the lovely outsider girl. As soon as she gets familiar with the other kids.. she shows her natural talent for social behaviour. A love movie for the higher sensitive people. But don't start crying as I do, when she gets the hearing aid and for the first time were able to hear the birds singing in the woods. Good script very good camera (thats rare) plausible and very good actors and a great story. All in all an extraordinary film and one of P. Arquettes greatest!! Why can't we get more of those movies..

beautiful movie

Author: Rachel Butler from Charleston, West Virginia
12 May 1999

I would watch this movie everyday if i could! It is a totally wonderful story! William McNamara, Reese Witherspoon and Patricia Arquette did an excellent job! The love that develops between Sammy and Alice is so beautiful! I only wish that there would be a sequel something to add to this already wonderful movie!

Amazing

Author: Video_Kid91 from United Kingdom
3 September 2009

I think Wildflower is an amazing film. It touched my heart with the powerful acting, it really bought out all my emotions. It is a simple movie but it is really powerful. Patricia Arquette does a superb job playing Alice. I couldn't get over at how well she managed to portray a deaf person. Most actors that I have seen trying to portray a deaf person, tend to go over the top so the performance isn't believable. Patricia's actions, speech and her eyes show real emotion. This is a really good family movie and I would recommend this to anyone. I gave Wildflower 10 out of 10 because I believe that it ticked all the right boxes, parts were funny, sad, upsetting, but overall, it was really enjoyable!

Simple, predictable, teary romance

Author: purryguy from Kilmarnock, Scotland
25 July 2003

Nice little heart warming movie which follows the conflict which arises when a partially deaf abused girl is helped by a brother and sister team to escape the evil grasp of her deranged violent step father. The brother and the deaf girl gradually fall for each other and well you know how it goes, love and hugs all around after a bit of an emotional roller-coaster.

Get the hankies ready if you are in an emotional mood. If you are of a cynical cold hearted disposition then this won't be to your liking.

The Waltons meet Helen Keller ...

Author: j.pasteur (j.pasteur@btinternet.com) from Norwich, England
6 May 2003

Was genuinely moved by the content of this tale of extremes of human nature. The barbarity of keeping a young girl in a shed versus the humanitarian sincerity was handled well by actress-director Diane Keaton. Patricia Arquette in particular must have found it difficult to play her role as the disadvantaged AND hearing-impaired Alice, uttering her lines as a deaf woman... with all the embarrassment that must go with it.

Perhaps I have been alone too long. Or perhaps - over-educated and right after yet another vicious superpower vs. small nation war, with the subsequent revelations of bestial cruelty - I am still surprised by humankind's inhumanity to humankind.

But there are pinpricks of light out there, somewhere. And with that thought, Humankind still has, at the very least, some hope...