Suburban Commando (1991) Poster

42 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Enjoyable, but cheesy
dtm66610 October 2001
I was flipping through channels and noticed this movie giving, so I decided to see it. Noticing that the quality of the picture was pretty bad (it was on TV), I pretty much assumed that the film was an 1980's flick due to the poor effects (and also due to the fact that Hulk Hogan's in the movie). Imagine my surprise when I found out it was made in 1991!

I will admit... despite the overall cheesiness of the feature, despite the somewhat poor acting, despite the special effects being crap when compared to Star Trek VI (also released around 1991 if I'm not mistaken), I actually enjoyed it. The scenes where Hogan's character (an interstellar hero or something) makes a complete idiot of himself by trying to skateboard or when he whacks a paperboy with his own newspaper are pretty hilarious (some may beg to differ). Of course, the only good part is the one fight scene where Hogan is fighting with two cronies (who happen to be Undertaker and Ed Leslie a.k.a. Brutus Beefcake).

Suburban Commando is only worth watching if you're actually into this type of cheesiness. If you want a serious action movie, look somewhere else.
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Laugh out loud funny
XoGents82oX20 December 2003
This movie gets funnier as I get older. Not a good sign, but oh well. Lets face it, this is no blockbuster film, but deep in your hearts that part of being a kid comes out and just laughs at this film. Hogan is the king of cheasy. The dialogue is hilarious and there really isnt a bad actor in this film. Lloyd is one of the better actors ive seen in my life and Larry Miller is always good for a laugh or two. Shelly isnt bad herself. I dunno, this movie fits some peoples humor and not others.
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Fun Throughout
Big Movie Fan25 June 2002
Out of all the movies Hulk Hogan has starred in this is probably my favourite.

Like I said on my summary, it is great fun throughout as Hogan plays intergalactic warrior Shep Ramsey who ends up on Earth after an encounter with evil villains. It is fun to see Shep adjusting to life on Earth (watch out for one scene where Shep locks a cruel dog owner in the back of a car and lets the dog go free)and to see him battle the evil bad guys who are after him (one of them played by Mark Callaway who is still wrestling as The Undertaker).

The dialogue is pretty good throughout the film and as usual, Hogan is playing a moralistic character. Shelley Winters and Christopher Lloyd do a fantastic job as well.

All in all, a great film and I just loved Shep Ramsey's suit in the movie.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Harmless, painless formula movie, with a handful of solid gags
leaping 15 April 2001
It's a peculiar badge of cinematic honour to be the least-worst Hulk Hogan movie of all time. Hulk plays some sort of super-powerful alien who, in coming to Earth on whatever Universe-saving mission he's on, becomes involved with a suburban US family.

Such fun as the movie has is in the alien's attempts to deal with the frustrations, annoyances and rules of suburban life. The pleasant surprise for those who come to "Suburban Commando" without unsustainable expectations of seeing anything remotely resembling a classic is that this material - Superhero Hulkster dealing with normal suburban irritations - is pretty well-handled, with a few big, satisfying laughs, and not without an element of satire.

Whether it's the director or whoever, someone babied Hogan through this one, since the film plays to his strengths (ie he coasts on the natural screen charisma that made him a star in pro wrestling), and avoids his weaknesses (ie acting) that are copiously evident in other Hogan movies.

Otherwise, the remedial comic book plot tends to take over, which is endurable but no particular fun, and Christopher Lloyd has one of his bad days at the office as the suburban family's father. Wrestling fans shouldn't struggle to spot Mark Calloway (aka the WWF's Undertaker) and might even pick up Hogan's high school buddy Ed Leslie (Brutus Beefcake).

Most of the good stuff's in the first half hour or so, from memory. If you're partial to some simple but effective comedy on the theme of familiar irritants in suburban life, you might get a rise out of at least that much of the movie. For what it is, "Suburban Commando" is ok.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
it's actually watchable
Special-K8825 April 2002
Silly, but watchable and amusing sci-fi/adventure is aimed mostly at kids but worth at least a look for adults. A fierce, intergalactic war hero travels through the universe battling the forces of evil. After an intense battle, his ship is damaged and he stops on planet Earth for a brief vacation. He settles in with an ideal suburban family, but his vacation is quickly cut short when his enemies eventually uncover his whereabouts. Requires a leap of faith, considering the film's setup and casting choices, but the effects are pretty good and Hogan's goofy antics and cheesy one-liners actually add amusement to the viewing experience. Good fun for the right audience. **½
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This has always been highly underrated
jbanks137230 September 2001
Many people tend to slam this movie, but I've always found it quite enjoyable. No, it would never win any prizes, but it's a decent piece of semi-mindless entertainment nonetheless. The strongest part of this is the supporting cast. Christopher Lloyd and Shelley Duvall rarely fail to deliver good performances, while the character of galactic-super-hero Shep Ramsey was tailor-made for Hogans over-the-top personality. Probably the only real reason this did as bad as it did is because it came out right after Hogans first and worst, No Holds Barred. No, this is far from being a great movie, but it's a decent one.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not That Bad
aesgaard4126 May 2001
I'm not a science fiction fan, but I like this movie. I may be biased as a Hulk Hogan fan, but this is my favorite of his films. A lot of it is pretty dumb and borders on the absurd, but the best and funniest scenes are his trying to fit in on Earth, and the odd partnership between him and straight-laced Christopher Lloyd. Accepting Hogan too quickly as the space hero he is, Lloyd gets to play one harried husband with a spaced out wife played by Shelley Duvall. Larry Miller, funny as he is, is annoying as the boss, but Jack Elam is wasted as a shell-shocked neighbor in a neighborhood of wierdos. Roy Dotrice has an unexpected cameo, but the worst part of the movie is the unconvincing villain who comes across as a kiddie show bad guy. Two of Hogan's wrestling cronies play bounty hunters who take part in a cartoonish John-and-Larry fight scene. Altogether, the movie has a lot of faults, but few really good scenes.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kinda funny
caerdwyn15 July 2001
I remember seeing this years ago, either on VHS or on HBO. It was one of those films that I paid rapt attention to (hey, I was 11 at the time) and thoroughly enjoyed.

I saw this movie again, for the first time in a decade, on Sci-Fi just the other day. Admitedly, it was nowhere near as funny and/or cool as I thought it was back in '91, but it brought back a lot of fond memories. I'd say this is Hogan's best film (with No Holds Barred taking the #2 spot).. which is, yes, a pretty sad fact. This man was never meant to be an actor - a showman, perhaps, and a wrestler indeed, but the only shining performance here was Christopher Lloyd in his usual goofiness.

At least this movie doesn't try too hard... it's not meant to be taken seriously, and is an overall good 'popcorn' flick.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of my favorite 1990s classics
Monstrel20 January 2007
This movie gets into my category of favorite classics of 1990s. Sure, it is more kids movie than even a family movie, and it can not compete with glowing old stream-liners like Back To The Future, not to mention recent Harry Potters, etc., still, it delivers the unique combination of funny comedy and warm atmosphere of kindness and personal achievement. You can rarely meet this combination in movies nowadays.

What I also like is that the struggle of good and evil is going on more realistic sci-fi level than usual (no mystically flying superheroes and other such things). And the Hulk Hogan's character is perfect for him. This movie is probably Hogan's best. Christopher Lloyd also performed great (as usual), and the acting of many supporting characters was solid good and fit the plot precisely.

So if you want the entertaining comedy for your family and you want to chuckle at some scenes for yourself, watch this movie. Hogan there looks like a big kind-hearted superhero uncle, so your kids will love him.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best film of the decade
psycho_charlie6664 February 2003
Both the critical and box office success of 1989's No Holds Barred were unprecedented, and needless to say, many had high expectations for the eagerly anticipated Sububan Commando of two years later. What movie goers recieved that year was arguably the best film of the decade, with the Hulkster bringing Shep Ramsey to life in yet another heart stopping performance. Comparisons with No Holds Barred are unavoidable, but in my opinion unfair. The latter film is primarly concerned with philosophical issues pertaining to man's relationship with the universe, while Suburban Commando has a much tighter focus, presenting the individual as a mirror reflecting the socio-politcal values of the "new" deomcracy in which he finds himself captive. The much touted gay scene between Christopher Loyd and Hogan was left on the cutting room floor, but may be included in the upcoming directors cut. In short, Suburban Commando is a landmark film which rarely gets the attention it deserves.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this