IMDb > Strictly Business (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Strictly Business More at IMDbPro »

Still Da Bomb!

Author: dgordon-1 from Toronto, Canada
9 May 2003

I remember seeing this movie back in 1991, and a couple of times on TV, then it just disappeared. I was surprised to find that it was still in print on VHS, and I purchased it immediately! Tommy and Joseph are great in their roles. Not to mention it's great to see Halle Berry in her dope early '90s fashion, complete with ripped knee jeans and a leather jacket. Samuel Jackson plays his role great too as the boss from hell! This is a fun movie, and is very enjoyable to watch multiple times. It would be great to see it available on DVD in the future, but the VHS still looks great even after all of these years.

Fun movie.

Author: GPeoples from Pittsburgh, PA
30 August 2002

Good clean movie with a message. They don't make them like this anymore. This movie reminds me of a later movie Mo Money!, though more for comedy with the Wayman brothers still clean and fun to watch. I gave this movie a 10 for entertainment value.

good comedy

Author: Jerry Smith from USA
1 June 2002

Strictly Business is a good feel-good comedy movie. Tommy davidson and Joseph Phillips are awesome as an on-screen duo. Halle Berry looks good in this one. This movie is bombed by critics, but I think it's good. I recommend this to anybody and everybody who is a fan of comedy movies.

Overall the movie is really funny and really good. Rating 9 out of 10.

Now in my collection

Author: desibel07 from United States
26 January 2008

This is really a good movie. I look at it every time it comes on which is maybe once or twice a year.

Could never find it over the past 15 or so years, until my son found it for me Christmas week and I just got it -- so it's now in my movie collection.

A really feel good love story that breaks the boundaries of life styles, stereotypes of wealth and income levels. And that given a chance, many of us have talents to excel.

Critics often bash GOOD movies and we all miss out. Props to Kevin Hooks for directing.

Strictly fabulous

Author: Newsense from United States
30 May 2009

I don't care what anybody says. Not many movies can capture the essence of the 90s like Strictly Business. See back then it was about having fun so the comedies we watched were just fun. Plus this one was pretty funny and had a slight sense of awareness(some comedies had that even Boomerang). Nowadays what passes for comedy is sheer garbage just like these overrated movies that Hollywood oversells to death. At any rate..

The story: Waymon Tisdale(Joseph C. Phillips) is a bank investor that is not too happy about his love life with his swishy and domineering girlfriend Diedre(Anne-Marie Johnson). He meets a beautiful girl named Natalie(Halle Berry) and ends up falling for her. He calls upon the help of a mail room clerk named Bobby(Tommy Davidson)to aid him in getting her.

Tommy Davidson is funny as hell in this movie. So is Joseph C. Phillips. He is pretty good as the square but likable Waymon Tisdale. Halle Berry was just gorgeous here as Natalie and to tell you the truth I like her 90s movies better than the junk she's in now. There are too many funny situations to name them all and Strictly Business perfectly captures everything about the 90s urban culture whether its the music or the fashion.

Pay no attention to pompous and sheep-minded critics that cant even write real reviews. If you want a 90s comedy that's fun to watch then look no further. If you want something overrated beyond belief then follow these easily manipulated puppets but prepare to be disappointed if you do.

A Bit Light on Comedy

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
24 August 2013

"Bobby" (Tommy Davidson) is a young black man working as a mail clerk in a large firm with aspirations of getting ahead. Unlike his mentor, "Waymon Tinsdale III" (Joseph C. Phillips) he doesn't have the temperament it takes to work in a management position. He's too brash and hip. However, he has connections and one of them just happens to be "Natalie" (Halle Berry) who Waymon is just dying to meet. So Waymon promises Bobby that he will get him into the training program if he will introduce him to Natalie. At the same time however, Waymon is working on a huge business deal which can either make or break his career. Along with that there is at least one person named "David" (David Marshall Grant) who would rather have him fail miserably. Anyway, so much for the plot which has been used in one scenario or another many times before. That said, there really wasn't anything special or unique about it. The acting was adequate but the only person who stood out was Halle Berry who was absolutely gorgeous. The bottom line is that this is a film that is a bit light on comedy but cute all the same. It's not great—but it's not bad either. I rate it as average.

Typical but still great

Author: breakdownthatfilm-blogspot-com from United States
27 June 2013

I'm not sure if it's because people don't like popular actors' earlier works or if it's just because the movie was released in 1991, which is considered to be old now, but viewers have the tendency to find lesser value in these kinds of films. Yet, there are various actors here that should help make the viewer at least give it a watch for curiosity. Seriously, Samuel L. Jackson, the guy who played Nick Fury from The Avengers (2012) and Mace Windu from the three Star Wars prequels is in this movie acting as a balding grumpy boss at a business firm! It's quite comical to see him in this kind of role.

The premise is very basic, a businessman finds the girl of his dreams but can't find a way to meet her. Luckily, he has a friend who can get him inside the world she lives in so he can finally be happy. The businessman who only knows how to be a "business man" and nothing else is Waymon (Joseph C. Phillips). Waymon is the best portrayal of how backward someone's life can be depending on how they're brought up. To show this, Phillips makes Waymon look like a stiff, a guy who can't adapt to something different or new; a book worm. That's very relateable because a lot of people are like that when it comes to trying new things and breaking their comfort shell.

The person who will introduce Waymon to this change is Bobby (Tommy Davidson) who apparently lives in Harlem; in other words, his type of demeanor is quite the opposite of Waymon. This is what makes various scenes funny because of how Bobby acts with his co-workers and Waymon. The girl that Waymon wants to get to know is Natalie, played the ever so popular Halle Berry. May I mention that this is only her second theatrical release where she actually plays a more significant role? But even here, she puts in a nice performance, although it could be said that she's just here for eye-candy (which should be a reason to watch this I would think). The rest of the cast also does a good job in doing their part, so no complaints here.

Pam Gibson and Nelson George who did the writing have a decent script here as well. I am surprised to how many times the "N" word was spoken; yet I feel now that if it were left out, it would not have felt as authentic. The subplots are also rather typical but it's forgivable because how much charm the main actors give their characters. There are several genuinely funny scenes in this movie as well. Most of these scenes are the exchanges between Waymon and Bobby when Natalie is around.

However, the one thing I found a little unrealistic is how certain characters had connections to important people. I mean, I know it's possible but both characters have to have some kind of status on the corporate latter, not just one, unless it is one of those rare cases. So I was a little confused on how they met. No explanation was given, that could have at least been explained. Lastly, the musical score provided by Michel Colombier didn't have a main theme but it did carry a consistent tone, which pleased me. A lot of the music played carries culture and continually sounds upbeat and energetic. That always helps a movie, especially if its genre is romance/comedy. It's all around a solid movie.

Not only does it contain performances from actors in their earlier days but it also has a good story to go along with it. The character portrayals are also well scripted.

Before they were stars?

Author: LivingDog from NYC, NY
23 December 2003

This is a cute little flick in which many actors, who later get more fame, appear in the same film.

Tommy Davidson (In Living Color, stand-up comedian), Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction and Star Wars?), Halle Berry (some movie where she got an Oscar for some reason), Denis Leary (stand-up comedian known for his song "A..hole"), and Sam Rockwell (Galaxy Quest) get together in this not too interesting flick about business as usual.

It's simple formula works for people in their teens. It has a "70's" feel to it that makes it not worth watching. I found it interesting to see them all together before they became more famous. Halle Berry *is* adorable.

The ending is incredibly drawn out. I kept screaming in my head "END IT, PLEASE END IT!" 6/10

-Zafoid