IMDb > The Story Lady (1991) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Story Lady (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Excellent, excellent movie!

Author: rp_roger (rp_roger@yahoo.com) from United States
11 June 2006

I never heard of this movie until I watched it today. Why it isn't a classic is beyond me. Watch it with your children and bring the wonder and imagination of stories into their lives. The ending is wonderful as well especially the scene in the judge's chambers. I couldn't help but break out in laughter! Why there isn't an actual show like the one portrayed in this movie isn't on TV is also beyond me. I only hope some senior lady see's this and gets inspired. I once wrote a Christmas story for my niece's and this is a very good family movie, one that parents and children should watch together. Watch it, then go to the library and get some classic fairy tales to read to your kids instead of video games. They'll remember those times for all of their lives.

Excellent

Author: daddykingpig from United States
14 October 2007

Anything with Jessica Tandy, Hume, or her daughter is always fantastic. From Foxfire to Dances with the white dog, all their movies are A-1. Even Lifeboat made by Hitchcock was great. A credit to their profession. This movie also was great and endearing. Will watch once and again. Will recommend to others. Will always love them all. The world mourned when they died. But it rejoices when they are on the silver screen. All their movies tug at the heart. They always will. Never miss any with Jessica, Hume Croyn in it. Will love their work as long as can watch. I been watching now for 46 years and will continue until I am laid at rest.

It touched my heart.

Author: locher69 from Taiwan
22 February 2000

I love this movie. It really touches my heart... especially the little note disclosed with the beautiful doll house that Grace sent Alex and Julie. Grace is telling Julie and us, the audience, that "family spirit," the virtue our parents' treasured, is very important.

This is a plain movie, talking about family love and children that we can get plenty of on TV. However, this is the value of the movie. There's no exciting plot, beautiful costumes or actions, only everyday life and the things that we sometimes forget to see or are blind to because of fame or money.

Alice Lin, National Changhua University of Education, TAIWAN

Great family film for all ages

Author: Greg
31 December 2002

Great family film for all ages. Could be called a "Christmas" movie, but the Christmas part plays a small role. Lisa Jakub's film before she plays the daughter on Mrs. Doubtfire. Jessica Tandy does a fine job as the "story lady" - a grandmother for all the children watching her on her community access TV show.

there's still time

Author: Steve Skafte from Nova Scotia, Canada
22 April 2010

The moral of "The Story Lady" is something along the lines of the dangers associated with commercialization. Which makes it ironic, in a way, that the story arc of the film itself makes very nearly the same mistakes it warns against. The most powerful passages of this film revolve around the first scenes of Grace McQueen (Jessica Tandy) at the public access cable studio. Tandy has by far the superior acting capability to carry a film based solely on this premise. Somewhat unfortunately, then, does Robert Zeschin's script take a much more unnecessarily complex route.

But such are the dangers of low-ambition TV movies. Jessica Tandy is this film. She is the reason it exists, and why it is so much worth watching. Everything else (save for a wonderful performance from young Lisa Jakub) is par for the course. In spite of that, there's no reason not to like, even love "The Story Lady". Tandy creates a character of wondrous depth and reality. There's nothing remotely false or off about her performance. I very much encourage you to see this film.

A Gem You Might Have Missed...

Author: Isaac5855 from United States
16 October 2007

THE STORY LADY was a delightful Holiday TV movie that starred late Oscar winner Jessica Tandy as a senior citizen who wants to stay active and starts her own public access cable TV show where she reads children's stories on the show. The show begins to attract such a devout following that it attracts the attention of a national ad agency who want to put the show on network television, and as always in stories like this, once they've acquired the show, try to change it. Tandy is absolutely enchanting in one of her final roles and receives effective support from Stephanie Zimbalist as a busy ad exec, Lisa Jakub as her neglected daughter, Ed Begley Jr. as Zimbalist's boss and Christopher Gartin as Tandy's favorite cameraman. The film also features Tandy's real life daughter, Tandy Cronyn. It may be overly sentimental and on the predictable side, but it is a delight from start to finish, thanks to the limitless screen charisma of Jessica Tandy. A fun holiday film for the entire family.

Be careful what you wish for.

Author: sixpence1106 from Florida
2 January 2014

As, I am sure was previously mentioned...Jessica Tandy is in this movie. Need we say more? Many years ago, I had a boss that thought the only way you could be a good sales person was to talk loudly and firmly, to the point of being pushy. Ms. Tandy, with her quiet and calm demeanor could sell snow to an Eskimo. She makes acting look easy and effortless. That is what makes her so good. This is not a blockbuster movie, but it's a sweet story of an older woman who senses that at her age, people seem to feel she has nothing more to offer. What started out as a small enjoyable pass time, became more than she could have anticipated. In the meantime, she shows a mother that she is missing out on what is really important. Stephanie Zimbalist was wonderful as well. I really enjoyed the movie. Its definitely worth watching.

Wonderful Christmas movie with Jessica Tandy

Author: jbsamwise from United States
14 January 2012

A grandmother who cannot find anything worthwhile to do with her time, begins reading classic storybooks on Public Access Cable TV. When everyone starts watching her, the networks get interested....I just want people to know that this title is available on Amazon now. But they changed the title to, 'The Christmas Story Lady' - this is sad as many people will not find it. I guess they are looking for a new audience. But I am so happy that I finally have it on DVD. I had bought a VHS tape a few years ago and it was going bad. This is a really wonderful Christmas movie and I can't think of anyone who would not like it. Jessica Tandy is wonderful. Stephanie Zimbalist is wonderful. Lisa Jakub is wonderful. Fun, also, to see Jessica's real-life daughter, Tandy, playing her daughter in the movie.

an example of older input from grandparents

Author: patsew from Australia
27 January 2005

I remember seeing this movie on a local TV station in the mid90's and thought how wonderful it would be if children could experience the magic of listening and using their imagination again instead of having all visual stimulus at the ready depriving them of the ability to use their imagination to come up with their own original ideas. I feel it portrayed an essential part of human development to listen to stories from the older generation of a time before they were born or stories passed down. Maybe I'm getting old but I would like to think in a similar situation we won't have gone too far beyond radio or watching a storyteller to ever fail to enjoy listening.