IMDb > Sleeping with the Enemy (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sleeping with the Enemy

Sleeping with the Enemy More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Sometimes the scariest things come from within'

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
12 October 2014

Well, "Sleeping with the Enemy" is a suspenseful thriller from the nineties that does its job in leaving the spectator tense and scared about can happen next. Laura is a woman that suffers domestic violence from her husband, which seems to be an extremely authoritarian man that does everything in his power to dominate Laura. Both these characters are well written, making you feel like any bad thing can happen to Laura once he finds her back. However, there are some few plot holes that made me dislike it for some times. For instance, I don't believe that Martin would have found out about her swimming classes; he had total control over her life, and it feels hard to imagine he'd never found a clue about it. Also, Laura, although being smart and reasonable in some moments, in others, she proves to be quite dumb. First, she should have moved to an apartment, which is much more safer than a house. Second, she should've never mentioned to her mother where her new affair worked. I figured out right away that that'd be the way to Martin find her. This movie as a whole is good, delivering what the spectator usually expects from it, but it doesn't add much to the genre.

Well worth watching

Author: DoomDealer from United Kingdom
15 March 2014

I'm not a fan of Julia Roberts (or Patrick Bergin, for that matter) and watching this film again after some years reminded me why. To be fair, it was still quite early on in Robert's career, and it's obvious that she was still trying to find her place in Hollywood and a foothold as an actor.

Sleeping With The Enemy is a very good film, with what has to be one of Bergin's strongest performances. A somewhat underrated actor, he carries much of the film alone. His performance of the abusive, controlling and manipulative husband is very believable. He really does come across as a genuinely evil character. Julia Robert's performance lacks confidence, so consequently she is just dithering along for most of the film, and Kevin Anderson doesn't really deserve a mention. In fact, you could take out Anderson's part/ character and it wouldn't really affect the film.

On a whole Sleeping With The Enemy is well worth watching; it's from a time when Hollywood was still trying to come up with something good (on occasion). Yes, there are holes, it's predictable and it may not be all that realistic, but it's very well acted, scripted, shot and even has a great, memorable score.

What more could you want?

Promising Thriller

Author: lancecherubin
1 May 2011

This was a fairly entertaining thriller with a bit of a disappointing ending. Honestly, the movie became a bit too obvious after Martin found out the whereabouts of his wife Laura. The real suspense came more towards the beginning of the movie especially with Laura's great escape, I didn't see that coming since it was emphasized that she couldn't swim. The main line of evidence that Laura was still alive was quite foolish if you ask me. If I were to flush a ring down the toilet I strongly doubt it would still be floating around a few months later, that's not very plausible. Apart from these minor flaws, the movie is definitely worth a watch and provides enough entertainment to satisfy the needs of any fan of the thriller genre.

Sleeping with the Remote in Hand.....

Author: tmpj from Chicago IL
16 June 2010

"Sleeping with the Enemy" is not an over the top thriller. It's a fairly decent vehicle for Julia Roberts, who is--perhaps--the only real reason for watching the film. In escaping from an abusive marriage, one has to wonder how it is that she could leave a trail that her spouse can easily follow...and one must also wonder why she did not continue to move on even after she had escaped his grasp. Certainly, she must have known that he would catch up to her at some point. He did..and she was completely un-prepared. If a husband is abusive, it does not automatically follow that he is a pathological murderer, though Pat Bergin plays the role in that fashion. I was finished with him after it appeared that he was tempted to murder the Mother, though he had nothing to gain by doing so. It just made no sense...not even in movie logic. And then, upon discovering the faked death of his wife, why would he want to kill her? Just because he'd been played for a sap? What a dope. Control freaks don't need enemies. The one they see daily in the mirror is Alpha and Omega for them. This is one you don't really need to see, though I can recommend it for its slight entertainment value. In some of the sidebars I read, Julia Roberts was disgusted with the town of Abbeville, SC, where some of the filming took place. She was disgusted with some the racist backwardness she found there. I give her kudos for that, as I am in the south as of this writing and find it to be the same way.

entertaining, absorbing drama

Author: blanche-2 from United States
14 September 2005

I'll say right off that I'm not a fan of Julia Roberts. I find her acting very external. I do, however, like a lot of her movies. I think our tastes run to similar type stories. What can I say. "Sleeping with the Enemy" is a good, if not great film. It held my interest, especially at the beginning, where one feels the tension in the beautiful home, and when all the little pieces of conversation come together.

It seems like the object was to showcase Julia rather than the story - I found some of the scenes a big waste, such as her MTV video doing costume changes and yet another one of those couples dancing together and falling for one another scenes.

I thought Kevin Anderson, a marvelous stage performer, did a great job as Julia's love interest, and Patrick Bergin was one scary husband. The suspense did build at the end. Yes, the movie has holes. I just went with it.

Dozing Off With the Enemy

Author: Karen from Illinois
5 December 2002

Sleeping with the Enemy, directed by Joseph Rubin, begins with Laura Burney (Julia Roberts) and her husband Martin Burney(Patrick Bergin) in their luxurious beach home. Scolding Laura for not having the canned goods lined up on the shelves, or the bathroom towels perfectly straight, the psychological terror that ensues is intense. Laura is allowed no will of her own. Martin's controlling behavior continues, wanting anything, including sex on command. An invitation to go sailing shows the fear Laura has of the ocean, but Martin insists they go. They are caught out in rough seas during an unexpected storm. Laura fakes her death by drowning, changes her identity to Sara Waters, and tries to disappear into a new lifestyle in a small college town in Iowa. She develops a trust for her neighbor, Ben Woodward(Kevin Anderson). Martin discovers the deception and tears through Laura's personal effects, finding her wedding ring in the toilet (not such a smart way to dispose of it). He sets to find her to exact revenge. Although the movie gives a realistic look at physical abuse with a strong element of mental abuse, its intention about the rebirth of an abused woman fails. She falls for Ben too easily for just starting out with her independence. Why does it seems that the only solution to spousal abuse is violence? Is there no recognition of human faults and an attempt to deal with these issues? The acting throughout the movie was great. The movie's `fatal attraction' resemblance takes away some of the shock value of the ending scenes. I immediately found several faults in the plot logic: 1) why flush your wedding ring down the toilet, and why did it take him so long to notice it? 2) how did the woman at the YWCA swimming class get her phone number? 3) how did Martin know where Sara lived? Being a Julia Roberts fan, I did enjoy the film, but recommend leaving any logic behind before viewing it. The two opposite lifestyles seem to be too extreme on both ends. It does contain some thrilling scenes, but after the first third of the movie, the film tends be mundane, until the end, which is predictable.

Chilling film of escape from a controlling and abusive husband.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
10 February 2002

SPOILERS -Julia Roberts was only 23 when filming this movie, and only one year after "Pretty Woman" began her rise to fame. The suspense of this film is provided by Patrick Bergin who plays the most evil, controlling husband imaginable. When she falls from a sailboat in a storm, at night, he just knows she drowns because she cannot swim. After the "funeral" he picks up hints that she may in fact be alive, that she might have been taking swimming lessons for months. Then he finds her wedding ring in the toilet and begins looking for her.

Meanwhile she has escaped by bus to a different part of the country, where she starts a new life and meets a nice guy who teaches drama at the local college. Visits blind mother in nursing home. Things are going well when you guessed it shows up. In a climaxic struggle in her home, trembling and with a gun pointed at her husband, on the phone she tells police, "Come quick, I've just killed an intruder", hangs up the phone then "blam"... "blam"... "blam"...

Not a great film, but causes one to think about spousal abuse. The acting and directing are fine, it probably deserves a bit better rating than it currently has.

good movie

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
10 September 2001

Everyone is in fine form in this movie about one woman's escape from marital abuse. It was a good role for Julia Roberts, who plays the battered wife, and Patrick Bergin was also good as the abusive and controlling husband. I liked Kevin Anderson as the new man in Julia's life after she fakes her own death and flees. Overall, I rank this as one of my favorite Julia Roberts films.

*** out of ****

Slow Moving:

Author: Ron-181 (rhall96319@aol.com) from Lake Butler, Florida
3 September 2001

This was an interesting plot and the acting was fairly good, but the the movie was very slow moving, to the point that it was hard to stay interested in the story line. Patrick Bergin makes a very good heavy. Julia Roberts always demands respect, even in this early effort.

Julia & Patrick shine!

Author: Catherine Grace Zeh (FilmGirlGZ@aol.com) from Vienna, Virginia, USA
16 August 2001

Julia (Roberts) and Patrick (Bergin) shine as a battered housewife and a rich and abusive husband. I thought that Sara/Laura (Julia Roberts) looked beautiful in the black dress that she wore to the party early in the film. What scared me was all the physical violence -- Especially when Martin (Patrick Bergin) beat up Laura when she said, "I don't know the doctor, Martin." That REALLY scared me! When that happened, I wanted to scream. If I were Martin's wife, I'd either flee, get a restraining order or tell him that I want a divorce. In conclusion, I recommend this edge-of-your-seat thriller to those of you who like a nice, suspenseful thriller or are fans of Julia Roberts or Patrick Bergin. You're in for some pure thrills and a good time, so, go out to the video store, rent it or buy it, kick back with a friend, and watch it.

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]