The Silence of the Lambs (1991) Poster

985 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Dr.Lecter, I'd like to see you again...
Max_cinefilo8922 October 2005
The Silence of the Lambs runs two hours.Anthony Hopkins appears for little more than sixteen minutes, yet during those minutes he hasn't bored you for a second, not even after the tenth or eleventh viewing. Such is the power of his performance, it's absolutely impossible to forget him.His character, Dr.Hannibal"The Cannibal" Lecter, is a brutal killer with revolting methods and habits, but he's also very intelligent, charismatic and with good taste(you can interpret that as you like).A clichè by now, but who cares? He still is one of the key elements in this wonderful thriller, which sees Jodie Foster's Clarice Starling asking for Lecter's help to catch another killer.The result is a dangerous yet fascinating relationship between the young, unexperienced FBI-agent and the convicted,but basically omnipotent, psychiatrist.He's a step ahead of everyone all the time, and makes sure everyone notices, with his witty, unforgettable one-liners.If there had to be only one reason to worship this movie, then it would have to be the chemistry between the two leading actors.Never before has a non-sexual man/woman connection been more thrilling.Never before has a film's ending been more unsettling and brilliant and left us asking for more.

Best watched with a nice Chianti...

P.S. dear film-buffs, have the lambs stopped screaming?
158 out of 175 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolutely Brilliant.
Scudder-319 February 1999
Sweeping all five major Academy Awards ("Oscars" for Best Movie, Director, Actor, Actress, Screenplay) is quite an accomplishment. Doing it nearly a year after a film was released is a miracle considering the notoriously short attention span of Oscar voters. It is a powerful example of how great a movie can be when superb writers, directors, actors, and others work at the top of their craft.

`Silence of the Lambs' is the story of a young FBI trainee Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) who is summoned to help find one serial killer called `Buffalo Bill.' by interviewing another. Foster's performance is absolutely brilliant. While Anthony Hopkins receives most of the (well-deserved) praise for his chilling portrayal of incarcerated serial killer `Hannibal ‘the Cannibal' Lector', it is Foster's performance that holds the movie together. The fear she shows just behind her eyes makes Clarice's outward courage all the more interesting and vulnerable. This is the perfect way to play the part because it explains Lector's interest in Clarice. Her only bargaining chip in getting Lector's help is to let him `feed' on her innermost secrets and fears in exchange for his brilliant insights into the psychotic mind. The title of the movie comes from these exchanges and is very poignant.

Director Jonathan Demme is masterful. There is one scene late in the movie that I will not spoil. It is one of the most simply brilliant scenes ever staged in a movie. I don't know if all the credit goes to Demme or the writers, but there is a moment in the film where the suspense builds beautifully to a what seems to be a common movie scene. However, through skillful timing of the direction, the audiences assumptions are used against them and when the truth is revealed (hint: it involves a doorbell) it is shocking and induced a collective gasp from the audience I saw it with at the theatre. It set the stage for an edge-of-your seat climax.

Do not miss this movie.

The movie is incredibly suspenseful and an absolute must see.
351 out of 403 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Story And A Character That You Can't Forget
ccthemovieman-117 January 2007
I'll never forget my first viewing of this movie at the theater and will always look back fondly on it for one reason: helping me quit smoking cigarettes.

I read the book first, was fascinated by it, and couldn't wait for the film to come out. That was the day I picked to quit smoking and I knew this movie would take my mind off that matter. I was expecting an intense movie and I got it. Little did I realize how well-received this film would be and how it propelled Anthony Hopkins to super-stardom.

Although entertaining, this is not always a fun movie to watch, especially with the scenes with Ted Levine who plays the killer, "Buffalo Bill." "Bill" and his kidnapped young woman are sick and profane people, respectively, and their scenes are very unpleasant. This movie is not for the squeamish with those and other scenes involving the infamous Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Hopkins). There also is some extreme crudeness in the jail/dungeon where Lecter and other inmates are held.

Jodie Foster is excellent as the FBI agent "Clarice Starling" and Scott Glenn is low-key and effective as "Jack Crawford." A major part of the film is psychological more than violent as Lecter constantly taunts "Clarice," while she tries her best to manipulate him to help with a case. The by-play between the two is a game in itself.

Hopkins, however, is the actor people remember best from this movie. His portrayal of the refined-yet-cannibalistic serial killer-doctor is one viewers will never forget. I've enjoyed watching him in the sequels, too. The looks on his face, his fascinating vocabulary with intelligent sarcasm and frankness, never ceases to entertain.

"Silence Of The Lambs" has turned into a modern-day "classic." If by some odd chance you have never seen this movie, be warned it is a dark, difficult story to watch at times....but it will get your mind off other things.
137 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In a Class by Itself
tfrizzell21 July 2000
Brilliant Best Picture of 1991 that never gets old. "The Silence of the Lambs" deals with a young FBI cadet (Oscar-winner Jodie Foster) who is sent to interview a captured madman (Oscar-winner Anthony Hopkins in one of the greatest performances ever on the screen) to find out about a serial killer (Ted Levine) who is stripping the skin from his female victims after they die. The FBI has had no luck with the case and agent Scott Glenn tries to throw a curve-ball to Hopkins by sending Foster. Hopkins is a former doctor of Levine and holds the clues to capturing the unknown criminal. Needless to say the film takes many twists and turns, creating a suspenseful thriller that has no equal. At the heart of "The Silence of the Lambs" are the confrontations between Hopkins and Foster. They play a complicated chess match of words which results in some of the greatest footage ever captured for the cinema. Hopkins dominates in spite of the fact he has approximately 17 minutes of time in the film. This is a film that will wrap itself around you and you will likely never be able to shake some of the key elements you have seen in this amazing masterpiece. 5 stars out of 5.
199 out of 252 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A gripping film that well deserved its Oscars
crisp_morning_200411 August 2006
It is a creepy and taken-by-storm experience with the film, background music is darker than the film itself and too ominous, plot is brilliantly constructed, conversations are thought-provocative, to crown the whole, Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkin are the cream. They take ownership of Clarice and Hannibal respectively, transforming them into the most unforgettable screen images.

The psychological path of Hannibal is hard to trace. He is so odd a mixture of intelligence, cruelty, insanity, grace and charisma. In the depth, fledgling FBI trainee Clarice is no match of him. She is still naive yet very ambitious. On the trail of the serial killer Buffalo Bill, she's sent to interview him, a psychiatrist-turned-cannibal. Hannibal is willing to provide clues to finding the killer but only in return for personal information about Clarice herself. He calls it Quid Pro Quo. In those mind games, the two dance backward and forward between cannibal and FBI agent, mentor and student, psychiatrist and patient, father and daughter. It is Clarice who breathes life into the multidimensional sophisticated psychopath and Hannibal who nudges the aspiring student FBI agent and helps her achieve her first success in a world of Y chromosome where her guru Crawford uses her, embarrasses her, excludes her; Doctor Chilton regards her no more than a simple-minded woman and tries to flirt with her. Frankly speaking, though no lack of other impressive scenes, it's really the nerves fights between Hannibal and Clarice that carries the film.

Some of the horrible scenes involve Buffalo Bill who, a transvestite, skins his victims, especially woman victims. But the most terrifying one is Clarice's single-handed trace in Buffalo Bill's gruesome den, which also has become another irony to the self-important testosterone-dominated world. Crawford's misjudgment and stubbornness makes him out of the right track, a special anti-terror deployment resulting in vain. But Clarice, though excluded from the business which she should be on, still holds onto her intuition and through on-the-spot investigation finds the serial killer at last. She has to take on him herself. (Demme uses "deceptive cutting" there to enhance the tension.) It is definitely a life-or-death fight, especially when Clarice is in the dark, groping her way in absolute terror. I have no doubt everyone holds the breath when the film rolls to that part.

A gripping film that well deserved its Oscars
63 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Grand Thriller
Brian Washington12 July 2003
This is definitely a film that proves you don't need tons of blood and gore to have a good suspense film. Anthony Hopkins performance as the deranged genius Lecter earned him a well deserved Academy Award and the same was true of Jodie Foster's performance as Clarice Starling. This film should go down in history as one of the greatest suspense films in the history of cinema.
143 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Perfectly executed dramatic thriller
pooch-812 January 1999
The Silence of the Lambs, having accomplished the rare feat of winning all five of the major Academy Award categories, is a remarkable achievement in filmmaking. Gruesome, pulpish material was transformed by dedicated participants on all levels of production, and a film that would have failed in the hands of many others wound up becoming a modern masterpiece. Taut direction and a superb screenplay might be the best arguments for the film's power, but the flashiest are certainly delivered in the bravura performances of Hopkins and Foster. Their interplay -- and remember, they only share a handful of scenes together -- is nothing short of riveting.
126 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Classic psychological, suspense brilliant - masterpiece best horror thriller ever made!
ivo-cobra825 May 2016
The Silence of the Lambs (1991) is a classic psychological suspense brilliant masterpiece well acted and the best thriller ever made! This was my first film I saw on VHS as a teenager and I absolutely loved it. Right after seeing this flick, I heard about Hannibal (2001) Ridley Scot film a sequel to this psychological thriller flick, I rushed buying it right away. Saddly I was disappointed with Ridley Scott Hannibal.

"Silence of the Lambs " is a classic and I think people would agree. It is my number 1 favorite thriller ever made, mostly I have enjoyed Jodie Foster as FBI recruit Clarice Starling's. Jodie did a brilliant acting performance I have seen. I love this film to death I absolutely love everything about this film. Since the first time I saw her in Silence I went to seeing her in a movie theater 2002 Panic Room, it was her first film I saw in movie theater since than I love Jodie Foster but Silence will be her best film she ever made. I was disappointed with the sequel Hannibal, no Jodie Foster in it, no brilliant masterful Clarice. Julianne Moore was incompetent for me, she couldn't catch Hannibal. Clarice Starling character was based on Gillian Anderson's FBI Agent Dana Scully and I think The X-Files inspired this film. I am even convinced that The Lone Gunman three geeks were also based on this film. You have a nice shootout on the end with Clarice and Buffalo Bill and Clarice get's her man, spoils her plans saves the hostage and saves the day.

The Silence of the Lambs is the 1991 thriller that was the feature film adaptation of the novel of the same name by Thomas Harris and marked the first appearance of Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Hannibal Lecter. (Oscar-winner Anthony Hopkins in one of the greatest performances ever on the screen) Dr.Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter, is a brutal killer with revolting methods and habits, but he's also very intelligent, charismatic and with good taste (you can interpret that as you like). He is scary and his the same time awesome including brilliant, you can't out smart him. Director Jonathan Demme is masterful directing this flick you have to be brilliant you have to keep thinking to solve the murder mystery. Scott Glenn acts beautiful as Jack Crawford. This flick got five major Academy Awards ("Oscars" for Best Movie, Director, Actor, Actress, Screenplay) it is no wonder why.

Plot: FBI recruit Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) is asked by the Bureau to elicit Lecter's help in tracking down a notorious serial killer who has kidnapped a US Senator's daughter. Directed by Jonathan Demme (The Manchurian Candidate), the film would receive five Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Actor for Hopkins and Best Actress for Foster and Best Screenplay. Hopkins would reprise his role as Lecter in two more films: Hannibal (2001) and Red Dragon (2002).

Real life killer Ed Gein was the inspiration for Buffalo Bill as well as the inspiration for Norman Bates from Psycho and Leatherface from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies. And the director Jonathan Demme was a film student of Roger Corman who makes a cameo in the movie. Roger Corman taught not only him, but I think other filmmakers such as Martin Scorsese, James Cameron, Joe Dante, Francis Ford Coppola, and many others. Ted Levine did a pretty solid job as a serial killer Buffalo Bill. This film is fun, intense, very well fast paced goes quickly around for those two hours.

The Silence of the Lambs is a 1991 American horror-thriller film directed by Jonathan Demme and starring Jodie Foster, Anthony Hopkins, and Scott Glenn. The film is based on Thomas Harris' 1988 novel of the same name, his second to feature Hannibal Lecter, a brilliant psychiatrist and cannibalistic serial killer.

In the film, Clarice Starling, a young U.S. FBI trainee, seeks the advice of the imprisoned Dr. Lecter to apprehend another serial killer, known only as "Buffalo Bill".

This movie is a perfect 10 out of 10, it takes the vision of one of the most imaginative directors on Earth (Jonathan Demme) with a brilliant cast including Thomas Harris novel that was adapted from it. I even saw the Documentary how they were shooting this film on YouTube. I think I do have that documentary film in my Blu-ray special features. Watch this film you want be disappointed at all.

The movie is incredibly suspenseful and an absolute must see for fans.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A truly remarkable film
davideo-216 November 2005
STAR RATING: ***** The Works **** Just Misses the Mark *** That Little Bit In Between ** Lagging Behind * The Pits

Rookie FBI agent Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) is assigned to get into the mind of notorious incarcerated serial killer Dr Hannibal 'the Cannibal' Lecter (Anthony Hopkins) to get his evaluation on the elusive Buffalo Bill, a serial killer who's been abducting and killing young women. When a prominent senator's daughter is kidnapped, it becomes a race against time to find her before she is killed and all the while Lecter is playing mind-games with Starling as well as any help he can provide...

The first of Thomas Harris's Hannibal novels to be adapted for the screen, only to be followed some years later with some very lacklustre (but inevitable!) follow-ups, despite it's age this remains one of the most effective chillers of modern times. Despite the mainstream appeal of the film, the grainy lighting and laid-back budget give it an art-house feel that sets it apart from other such films that were as successful. The film manages some effectively disturbing scenes that make it a not altogether pleasant viewing experience.

Performances wise, in a very early role, a young Foster shows her promise for future roles, with a gripping portrayal of naivety and vulnerability here that is very compelling and convincing, even though there are some plausibility problems with someone as junior as her being assigned to do something like that. Hopkins too is brilliant as Lecter, playing a dangerous man behind bars who's ability to get inside your head and see the things you don't want him to see makes him no less dangerous, if not more so, than if he was on the outside. He's certainly received the most acclaim for his role over the years, but in my humble opinion, he's actually over-shadowed (though only slightly!) by Ted Levine as Buffalo Bill, a truly extraordinary psychopath with an unsettling sexuality disorder that is probably one of the nastiest things ever to be seen in such a mainstream film. As supporting FBI agent Crawford, Scott Glenn is impressive but sort of just faded into DTV land after this film.

It's easily one of the most popular films ever made, so it's likely a lot of you are familiar with it already, but with reviews on the so-inferior follow-up films Red Dragon and Hannibal, I thought it only right that I'd finally give this first film a mention. Truly remarkable. *****
95 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"The Godfather" of all thrillers
Kristine28 August 2004
I've seen way too many thrillers. You name it: "Identity", "Seven", "The Usual Suspects", etc., etc., etc. I remember my friend being so obsessed with "Silence of the Lambs", that it drove me crazy. And I hated the movie naturally and refused to see it. But everyone told me that I have to see this, so I let my guard down. And had an open mind, and I'm glad I did. My friend was right, this is a great movie. It is so well acted, I couldn't even describe. I loved "Silence of the Lambs" and would recommend it to anyone. It's creepy and exciting. Trust me, you'll love it.

354 out of 510 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's a classic!
nickpal198317 July 2005
There is little doubt that the most memorable aspect of The Silence of the Lambs is Anthony Hopkins' incomparable performance as Lecter. Taking over for Brian Cox, who was effective, but not especially memorable, as the good doctor in 1986's Manhunter, Hopkins instantly makes the role his own, capturing and conveying the charismatic essence of pure evil. To his dying day, no matter how many roles he plays in the interim, Hopkins will forever be known for this part. (It is a credit to Hopkins' ability as an actor that this part did not result in stereotyping. His post-Silence career has been greatly varied, with roles as widely diverse as a stodgy butler in Merchant-Ivory's The Remains of the Day and an action hero in The Edge.) I can throw out any number of superlatives, but none of them do justice to this chilling performance, which I labeled as the best acting work of the '90s. Want to feel the icy fingers of terror stroke your heart? Watch this mixture of brilliant eloquence and inhuman cruelty. As portrayed by Hopkins, Hannibal is both a suave, cultured gentleman and an unspeakable fiend. He is gracious and monstrous at the same time. (Hopkins also provided one of the most quotable lines in recent film history with "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti", which was followed by an inimitable slithering slurp.)
56 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the greatest thrillers of all time
notoriousCASK1 August 2017
Silence of the lambs is a masterpiece you cannot miss. Jodie Foster stars as Clarice Starling, a top student at the FBI's training academy.Jack Crawford (Scott Glenn) wants Clarice to interview Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins),a genius psychiatrist who is also a violent psychopath,serving life behind bars for various acts of murder and cannibalism.Crawford believes that Lecter may have insight into a case of a serial killer called Buffalo Bill,that murders and skins his victims,and that Starling as an attractive young woman,may be just the bait to make him help with the case.

Silence of the lambs is only the third film in history to win Academy Awards in all the top five categories:Best Picture,Best Actor,Best Actress,Best Director,and Adapted Screenplay and that implies something about it's quality as a film.

The direction is marvelous,as the film has the audience from the beginning till the end on the edge of their seats,especially towards the end with a lot of perfectly crafted suspenseful and thrilling moments,until the amazing climax of the film.

The performances are also incredible.Jodie Foster as Clarice is absolutely brilliant,and Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal the cannibal gives a chilling and memorable performance.Both the actors gave amazing and memorable performances that will stay in film history forever.

In conclusion,this film is an absolute must see and classic,especially for those who like suspenseful and thriller films,but also for those who don't it is a film experience that absolutely cannot be missed!
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Class Act
BaronBl00d19 June 2000
With Silence of the Lambs comes some much needed recognition for the horror genre. It is a first-rate production all around. It boasts a witty and suspenseful script based on the Thomas Harris novel, full of great lines. It has marvelous direction from Demme. Demme creates suspense very well throughout and uses some great directorial shots such as the twin frames of Clarice ringing a doorbell and the FBI men breaking into a home. The two lead actors won oscars for their performances...each deserved. Foster is very good in her role, but it is Anthony Hopkins that literally lights up the screen with his complex portrayal of a complex serial killer. Hopkins does the seemingly impossible. He frightens you with his outrageousness and yet illicts some pity/compassion(albeit not a lot) for his situation. He says his lines with reservedness when needed and brashness when needed. The rest of the cast is also quite good with Anthony Heald a standout as a unethical, petty doctor in charge of Hopkins. Of course the story of the other killer is very very chilling as well. A quality film in all aspects!
82 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Potpourr of Vestiges Review: Hannibal - The Cannibal
Murtaza Ali24 April 2009
Silence of the Lambs is a quintessence of a profound character study and a rare and vivid demonstration of an actor's subtle brilliance and his improvisation in manifestation of a nebulous entity (Lecter), almost single-handedly immortalizing it and in the process elevating himself to a position of unqualified envy and ubiquitous acclaim. In fact, one is likely to suffer, either from inarticulacy or verbosity while describing Anthony Hopkins portrayal of sadistically sophisticated Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Lecter's trademark, his wide open glacial eyes, devoid of any emotion, not only makes him deviously equanimous, but also egregiously peculiar. The fast, slurping-type sound invented by Hopkins that Lecter does, is as fascinating as it is chilling and Lecter's infamous "Good evening, Clarice", is as enthralling as it is vicious. Anthony Hopkins's performance is the shortest ever and the most memorable to win an Oscar in the leading category.

Hopkins as Lecter, is incontrovertibly and incredibly at the top of his game and it is his brilliance that gets the best out of the other actors, especially Jodie Foster. In fact, it won't be a hyperbole, that Anthony Hopkins's portrayal of cannibalistic Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs and more so in its sequel, Hannibal (which is my favorite of the series, as the story completely revolves around Lecter, giving him more exposure), is one of the best, the world of cinema has ever seen or offered. In spite of having some of the most gruesomely disturbing and viciously graphic sequences, Silence of the Lambs, is one of the most decorated and enthralling movies of all time. A must watch for avid fans and eclectic viewers.

22 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Believe me, you don't want Hannibal Lecter inside your head
Agent Dice8 October 2013
Once upon a crime, Hannibal Lecter was a manipulative psycho-killer compensating for his incarceration by messing with people's minds. Then Hannibal happened and he suddenly turned into a dandy anti-hero... Watching The Silence Of The Lambs again really puts things into perspective. Jonathan Demme's astute adaptation of Thomas Harris' last good book entwines the horror and detective genres to enduringly shocking effect, while Anthony Hopkins' Lecter and Jodie Foster's Starling fizz up an unsettling chemistry that was utterly lacking in the sequel.

I haven't seen a movie this perfectly wrapped in a while. I recently re-watched it and it blew me away and it only gets better the more you see it.

The performances from everyone are great. Foster sold every scene she was in. But, of course, Hopkins stole every scene he was in and was a powerful anti hero who was scary even when concealed because you know his mind is working at every second. Always planning and he's rarely wrong. His escape was an amazing scene. Levine gives a suitably scary performance but just doesn't stand up to the greatness of Foster and Hopkins.

All the characters main characters are deep people are deep people with clear motivations. The police officers are the complete contradiction to this who abuse their power to do what they believe is right, and end up being wrong. It's clever.

Everything is wrapped together really well, the performances were great and it's full of memorable scenes.

I'm giving The Silence of the Lambs a 10/10.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
pure psychological thriller brilliance
nobbytatoes27 October 2005
Agent Clarice Starling is a training FBI agent, hope to work in behavioral sciences with Jack Crawford. Crawford though sends Starling on an assignment, to psychologically exam the insanely intelligent criminal Hannibal Lecter. Crawford had another agenda, to see if Starling can press information out of Lecter to help with the current case of Buffalo Bill. Bill has already killed five girls, skinning off sections of their bodies. Lecter is intrigue by Starling and helps her with the investigation; they start to form a strange friendship.

The Silence of the Lambs is one of the best psychological thrillers. Thomas Harris's best selling book is faithfully transfered to the screen. It's one dark twisted disturbing ride. The mood is heighten by Demme's great direction, with such detail in all the sets and locations. Demme has used reflective surfaces wonderfully, during one of Starling's and Lecter's talks it used to great extent. One of the final sequences of Clarice walking through the basement of Bill's house is one of the most suspense full scenes i have ever seen.

All the performances are knock outs. Jodie Foster as always brings the goods and makes Starling the most interesting to watch. At times she makes Starling so fragile, then a second later she's strong as steel. Anthony Hopkins is so disturbing as Lecter. From the first second you see Lecter standing in his cell; just waiting for Starling to show, you can see Hopkins was perfect casting. You cant keep your eyes off Lecter, he's so disturbing and can make your skin crawl every time he speaks. Ted Levine makes the perfect serial killer, you can see from Levine's performance what a torn and damaged soul the killer is; you feel somewhat sympathetic for him.

The Silence of the Lambs is a must see, one of the best thrillers you'll ever see.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not that great..
Robertino Ruffinelli17 March 2009
It is really difficult for me to understand what it is about this film that everyone loves. I have seen many thrillers and I can honestly say that this one is not even in my Top 20. Although I think Hopkins did a terrific job in Lecter's shoes, his 30 minutes on screen just were not enough. This was supposed to be a horror film but I think it barely managed to create the suspense atmosphere and it certainly did not scare me or made me feel uncomfortable at all. Perhaps I expected more since I have been hearing all the fuzz about this movie since I was a little kid. So I watched this film several times and I am still not enjoying it that much.
29 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best served chilled with a nice Chianti
george.schmidt22 April 2003
THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991) **** Jodie Foster, Anthony Hopkins, Scott Glenn, Ted Levine, Anthony Heald, Brooke Smith, Diane Baker (Cameos: Roger Corman, producer Kenneth Utt, singer Chris Isaak) Terrifying masterpiece of modern-day horror and the first film since 1975's "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" to win all 5 major Oscars (Picture, Director: Jonathan Demme, Actress Foster, Actor Hopkins, and Screenplay Adaptation by Ted Tally of the best-seller by Thomas Harris): novice FBI agent Clarice Starling (a stalwart Foster) begins her career in a manhunt for a serial killer known as "Buffalo Bill", a transsexual wanna-be whose grisly crimes leads to her only source of his trail: imprisoned psychiatrist Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter (Hopkins in one chilling and modulated perf) whose mindgames with the rookie agent has her on her toes and running out of time. Exciting, suspenseful and supremely scary with some truly eye-widening moments of the unexpected. Best line: Lecter at film's end: "I'm having an old friend for dinner."
32 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best filmed stories
Dale Harrell15 May 2013
The acting is of a very high level. Foster put down a good role as Clarice Starling and the supporting cast was very good (think of Buffalo Bill, for example). The star of the show is Anthony Hopkins. The role he put down here is really nothing less than genius. The dude is perfectly cast and is both friendly and polite, and very creepy and smart about it. I think it's an incredibly and fascinating character. Hannibal is for me one of the best psychopaths I've ever seen in a movie.

Overall I highly recommend this movie if you love thrillers and detectives because this is definitely one of the best in its category for me. And i think this movie is also in my top 10 films!!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A dynamite Hollywood thriller.
Scott LeBrun27 December 2012
This is deservedly one of the most popular and praised of all the entries in the worn-out "cop vs. killer" genre, and represents a career high point for its key participants. It's especially noteworthy that it should have swept the five major Oscars for the year of its release, considering that the Academy wouldn't normally award such acclaim to a thriller with often grim and disturbing content - a tribute to how well crafted it is. Also worthy of a mention is the way that this film put the Behavioural Sciences unit of the FBI on the map - that unit devoted to the study of the most deviant "human" beings among us. Director Jonathan Demme shows a great skill for the genre, and with the assistance of a first rate crew creates some eerily effective suspense. Based on the novel by Thomas Harris, it stars Jodie Foster as an eager beaver young FBI trainee who is sent by her superior (Scott Glenn) to interview an imprisoned murderer, the intelligent, cultured psychopath Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter (Anthony Hopkins), in the hopes that he can lend his insight into the activities of "Buffalo Bill" (Ted Levine), a serial killer currently on the loose. Other than a music score by Howard Shore that is a little *too* over the top and manipulative, "The Silence of the Lambs" hits all the right notes, telling a story in a taut and convincing manner. The subject matter admittedly is not to every taste - especially when one thinks about what Bills' ultimate plan is. The editing (by Craig McKay), production design (by Kristi Zea), and cinematography (by Tak Fujimoto) are exemplary; among the scariest scenes are Clarices' (Foster) search of a storage space, and the climactic action where agent and maniac are finally face to face (and the sequence leading up to that). Of course, the real meat of the story is the unusual relationship between the charismatic Lecter and the determined Clarice, as he demands she divulge personal information in return for his thoughts on the Buffalo Bill case. Lecter is a truly memorable character, from his choice of entertainment to the way that he gleefully toys with those people that he holds in contempt. Hopkins and Foster are both very effective in these parts, although the contributions of the supporting cast absolutely should not go overlooked. Given the way that Lecter dominates the proceedings, it's important to point out just how extremely creepy Bill is; his performance brought character actor Levine to real prominence. Brooke Smith is very good portraying a would-be victim who actually tries to use her wits and fight back in some way. Also appearing are many other familiar faces: Anthony Heald (as the smarmy jerk in charge of the insane asylum), Diane Baker, Kasi Lemmons, Demme regulars Charles Napier and Tracey Walter, his old mentor Roger Corman (as the director of the FBI), Frankie Faison, Dan Butler, Chris Isaak, and Daniel von Bargen. Even at just under two hours long, this is actually pretty taut in terms of pacing; there's no filler at all, just some very potent entertainment. This was preceded by another Harris adaptation, "Manhunter", in which Brian Cox played Lecter, and would be followed by "Hannibal" and, after that, "Red Dragon", another film version of the source novel for "Manhunter". Some people tend to prefer "Manhunter" and consider it superior; this viewer merely prefers to think that they each have their own heavy assets. Nine out of 10.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very Effective Thriller But Ultimately Overrated
Theo Robertson30 October 2005
It's impossible to comment on SILENCE OF THE LAMBS as being a mere film . Its release was a watershed in popular culture and has influenced a myriad of imitations that are far too numerous to mention . Much of this success is down to director Jonathan Demme who has made the film so effective by coming up with the strikingly simple idea of filming everything in dim lighting which gives SILENCE a moody and brooding atmosphere that was absent from movies in the previous decade . Ironically enough this is as typical of 90s film making as MANHUNTER was of 80s movies . Howard Shore's score also helps the proceedings and Jodie Foster gives a sublime nuanced performance as vulnerable heroine Clarice Starling . Watch the scenes closely when Clarice is in the company of men , don't you get the feeling she has a phobia about the male of the species . Is she a victim of sexual abuse in her childhood ? A lesbian ? We never find out but Foster's performance is multi layered and it's a pity this aspect is never explored in HANNIBAL which sadly deletes this aspect to Clarice

Sadly SILENCE was released with a tidal wave of hype which the film doesn't live up to . Who can forget the stories that upon seeing this at the cinema certain audience members wanted armed escorts back to their cars ! I'm sorry but despite being a good thriller it's not that good and I fail to see how people were turned into quivering jellies unable to sleep with the lights off . I'm also afraid to say that much of the awards heaped upon the film aren't that well deserved either . Foster deserved the Oscar as did the film and possibly Demme too but did Ted Tally for his adapted screenplay ? All he seems to have done is to copy the best bits of Harris's novel wholesale into the screenplay without making an effort to improve anything . and i'll probably be accused of sacrilege but the more times I see this film the more times I ask myself how did Hopkins win the Oscar for Best Actor ? I don't even think Hopkins should have qualified for the Best Actor category since the role isn't on screen long enough and his performance is slightly hammy . Hannibal as played by Hopkins resembles something along the lines of a paedophile rather than a serial killer who has maimed , murdered and munched on adults . Despite having some reservations of Brian Cox as Hannibal in MANHUNTER you do believe his burly presence does have the physical strength to overpower his victims , not so Hopkins

I know it's very difficult , perhaps even impossible , but the best way to enjoy this movie is to erase from your mind the fact that it's one of only three movies to have picked up the Oscar in all five main categories , the fact that it made headlines about being the most terrifying film committed to celluloid , and the fact that it stands as the 28th best movie ever on this website . It is a very good thriller but one that is ultimately disappointing after hearing of the hype surrounding it
33 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An overrated but sporadically very good suspense thriller
Brian-26820 May 2000
That the film has its moments cannot be denied. Hopkins is slightly over-the-top as the diabolical yet urbane Lecter, but it's an enjoyable performance all the same. Lecter's finest moment is when, bound, straightjacketed, and face-masked, he is brought before Senator Martin and, after relentlessly goading her about the fate of her daughter, blurts out the identity of Buffalo Bill and adds, "Love your suit."

Beyond the superficial appeal of a character who can interject such misanthropic witticisms, Lecter embodies the repulsive seduction of this thoroughly erudite monster, utterly free of societal constraints in spirit if not in body. His intelligence is, if remorseless and amoral, open and searching and methodical. We are time and again shown his superiority to the FBI, who rush hither and yon after clues they don't begin to understand, and to the pettiness of his jailor, Dr. Chilton, who subjects Lecter to televangelist broadcasts as punishment for brutal misbehavior.

Yet Lecter is poorly contrasted throughout the film, and his intelligence is falsely elevated by comparison to the unimaginative mediocrities he is up against. Starling is a dreary feminist with a white trash inferiority complex, Dr. Chilton is a preposterously snide asshole, and none of the other characters rise above their status as plot devices. There is something particularly prim and humorless and unlikeable about Starling, and it is impossible to determine why Lecter would take an interest in her childhood trauma about lambs.

Several points regarding Lecter's escape make no sense at all, and at crucial stages the total incompetence of his captors is required to pull it off. That Hopkins manages to keep the suspense going is a testament to the actor's ability to rise above the script. Regarding the ultimate capture of Buffalo Bill, it is too much to swallow that Starling's success hinges upon uncovering photographs in the victim's abandoned bedroom years after it had been scoured for evidence by FBI agents. This twist hangs one ridiculous premise on another and is a sorry attempt to justify Starling's centrality to the story.

The cinematography and direction do contribute something interesting to the tumultuous descent to Lecter's asylum cell, but are otherwise unremarkable. Buffalo Bill is more bizarre than chilling, and the final confrontation between him and Starling is contrived. The film ends on a note that suggests it could have been alot better.

Warning: If you purchase the DVD of THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, resist the urge to listen to Jodie Foster's commentary. While the lambs may be silent, it is next to impossible to get her to shut up. Her grating, man-hating (and totally outdated) style of feminist rhetoric comes close to self-parody, although not often enough to be truly entertaining. Conclusion: this über-bitch is a gaseous windbag. But if you don't believe me, listen for yourself. You'll be saying "Pass the Chianti" before you make it through the first reel.
52 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just a lame psycho and a kiddo playing hide and seek
felixoteiza10 September 2011
Ever since this one came out I've been reading great things about it, but I didn't get in that bandwagon as I always had the bugging feeling this was just another proverbial ruler without a decent wardrobe. Also I'm not great fan of Foster, neither I'm of Hopkins, but I decided to give this one a try anyway as, even if I didn't have much expectations I was willing to be pleasantly surprised by, fool of me, good plot and decent acting. But what do you know, that 6th sense had kicked up again.

For 75 min. SOTL moves along in so-so territory, as there's nothing in it that would make for a classic. The main story is one that I've seen many times before, mostly in CSI, only difference being that here the police is trying to enroll one nut into helping them to catch another. But all parallels stop there. The characterization is practically nonexistent and after 60 min. one still doesn't know a thing about those cops, as they all act like the oh, so common, stereotypical, law enforcers. As for the two nuts, they are just caricatures. One thing that for 9 seasons made of CSI such a classic was the impeccable characterization, right from to the bosses down to the scruffy guys in the labs, thanks to the superb acting job by all involved--specially Peterson--so much so we'd even mention them as if we knew them personally. Granted, here they had only 2 hours but, please, how many 90-min. movies with unforgettable characters you can remember? This flick is so bad character--wise that not even Foster's is defined by her acting, behavior, but by the bits of life story she tells to Hannibal!. As for Hopkins, he didn't impress me at all; he looks just like another nut of the kind I see everyday in the street or the subway and he's most forgettable trying to scare us with his bad ass stare. Anyway, for 75 min. the flick slumbers along, barely sustaining itself while totally lacking in atmosphere, tension or emotion.

Then the plot dissolves into lameness and stupidity. I'm talking in first place about Hannibal's escape. We are supposed to believe that the tightest possible security measures have been taken--someone even talks of calling the SWAT and cordoning off 10 blocks around-which means they are aware of the risks he represents. Yet in Hannibal's floor there are only two guards with no communication—radio, TV monitor--armed with clubs and maze (while everyone else carry guns). But it gets even worse: Hannibal flees in an ambulance disguised as a wounded cop, implying that all present cops & medics are morons. Later, when it comes to the part in the psycho's place the flick goes into standard Hollywood crap: awful dialogs; general overacting; chaotic camera work, editing--to give "atmosphere"--cliché antics by the lone, enterprising heroine, etc. The flick ends up with an avalanche of feel good clichés—most of the "law & justice prevail" kind, the only thing missing there being the final romantic kiss.

The cinematography is mediocre and specially bad in the scene where they examine the body of a victim. Contrary to standards, they shot the whole scene using--instead of wide or medium shots, to give us the most possible info on the proceedings--one close up after another, specially of Foster's, for no reason at all. What's the obsession with those close ups that litter the whole flick anyway? After a while it gets annoying. But this is just one of many flows. For ex.: what's the idea of portraying the head of a mental institution as a spoiled brat? Why the police ever expected to get a psycho on their side? And why they'd give such a job to a kid who doesn't know how to handle mental patients? Speaking of editing, those flashbacks of Clarice's dad are terribly done.

So, stay away from this one. Just another emperor....err, turkey in emperor's clothes. 2/10
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best thriller ever made!
Vasilis Manikas7 November 2005
One of the best movies of the 90's and one of the few thrillers that can match up with Alfred Hitckok's movies.Certainly the perfect choice for the character of Hannibal Lekter, Sir Anthony Hopkins who manages to make the "cannibal" a kind of hero. The film won 5 academy awards but in my opinion it worths for more. I would like to stay more in the performance of Anthony Hopkins that is really majestic and gives the film more quality.Hopkins gets to the skin of his role and makes you to feel that he is a real psycho killer.Also the direction is perfect by Demme and makes the viewers to be absorbed by the fight of the FBI agent Clarice Starling and Dr. Hannibal Lecter.Jodie Foster fairly wins the Academy Award for Best Actress in Leading Role.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dark and Gripping Thriller
mjw23052 February 2005
Silence of the Lambs was the birthplace of Anthony Hopkins's Hannibal Lecter, one of the finest monsters ever screened. Although this is the middle film in the trilogy, it was made first and remains the finest in the set.

Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) is a highly intelligent, very vulnerable young FBI trainee. With a serial killer named Buffalo Bill increasing his body count. Clarice is sent by Jack Crawford (Scott Glen) to attempt to gain any information that she can from Dr. Hannibal Lecter (A brilliant, yet Insane Psyciatrist known as Hannibal the Cannibal) Starling has to gain Lecter's trust, by engaging in very dangerous mind games with the Doctor, and the last person you want in your head is Hannibal Lecter, but without his help, Buffalo Bill's victims will stand no chance.

Foster and Hopkins have a very strong on screen chemistry, and both portray their characters brilliantly, making them realistic and believable. The Scenery matches the mood of the movie, very dark and gloomy for much of the time, and the pockets of suspense interlaced with some imaginative psychological horror make Silence of the Lambs a movie that sets the standard, and the standard is high.

10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this