IMDb > Scissors (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Scissors More at IMDbPro »

Well-honed scissors

Author: pnay75-1 from Paris, France
19 June 2004

I first saw "Scissors" some ten years ago, and I had kept some memories of it when I saw it again on tv. It fulfilled my expectations, as I remembered it as rather interesting, though somewhat far-fetched.

Several reviewers have wondered about the necessity of showing Sharon Stone's beautiful bare breasts. I think it signifies that, though she reacts frigidly to men's advances, her sexuality is nevertheless present and no longer repressed when she is alone. Most writers rightly stress the excellency of the impersonation of Sharon Stone, on her (delayed)way to stardom. However I should like to point out that Steve Railsback, a very underrated actor, is quite remarkable too in the dual role of the neighboring twins. I think the film is worth a 8.

In my mind, the best Sharon Stone movie yet...

Author: Sampo Syreeni from Lahti, Finland
5 November 1998

In Scissors, Sharon Stone builds a very believable picture of a young woman whose mental health begins to shatter while trapped in a penthouse apartment of her shrink. The role is difficult and Stone pulls it off wonderfully. I think this is the one movie in which she really gets to display her talent as an actress. It is truly amazing that this little gem has never got more attention - as a thriller, it's almost in the same series as the old Hitchcock movies...

Sharon Stone, before she was big...

Author: MarieGabrielle from United States
8 November 2006

This film was made in 1991, and it is sort of odd. Sharon Stone however, looks great (she is more understated, young and fresh). Steve Railsback ("Helter Skelter", and the more recent "Ed Gein") is strange and menacing.

The film itself has some odd cinematography and sets, including the apartment where Stone is abducted. Sort of a cold, Los Angeles modern look to it. It was marketed as suspense/horror. Probably more suspense/mystery.

Ronny Cox as Stone's psychotherapist and Michelle Phillips as his politician wife, so there is a message somewhere lost in the script. It is not the worst, and Stone looks beautiful, so it's worth a shot. 6/10

Creepy and underrated

Author: (zeu69@hotmail.com) from Victoria, Australia
12 December 2000

Scissors is a tense psychological thriller where a disturbed woman (Sharon Stone) is trapped in an apartment by an unseen intruder in an attempt to drive her crazy. This film relied heaveily on Stone's dramatic acting and honestly she created a very believable and sympathetic character. She had to carry this film by herself basically and she pulled it off well.

You killed him! You killed him!

Author: kapelusznik18 from United States
29 December 2014

****SPOILERS**** When Angie Anderson, Sharon Stone, was attacked in the elevator of her apartment building by this red bearded and scuzzy looking man all her fears of men as well as her childhood started to resurface with shocking clarity. It was in fact the pretty and very attractive Angie's first experience with a man sexuality that screwed up her head in her not having any normal relationships, sexual or otherwise, with members of the opposite sex. It's Alex Morgan, Steve Railsbeck, Angie's next door neighbor who took the time to help her out in this crisis that had Angie eventually fall in love with him. This had Alex's live-in twin and wheelchair bound brother Cole, also played by Steve Railsbeck, develop a deep resentment of Alex since he was having his eye as a peeping Tom on Angie since she moved into her apartment.

It's when Angie sought help from her psychiatrist Dr. Stephen Carter, Ronnie Cox, that by trying to help her overcome her phobias about men as well as her recent attempted rape experience he brought out things about her past, or childhood, that started taking over her life in her for so long suppressing them. This lead Angie to slowly lose control and becoming paranoid in both her private as well as public life. This paranoia lead her, after getting an invite, to the Bailey Building where she sought, I would assume, to get a job there as Mr. Bailey's private secretary. It's there that Angie found herself locked in with what seemed like real-estate developer Mr. Bailey found stabbed to death, with a scissor, lying in the bedroom! With his pet black bird Jimmy accusing Angie, over and over, that she's the one who killed him!.

****SPOILERS*** Almost the entire second half of the movie has to do with Angie locked in the Bailey Building with Alex desperately trying to save her. It's then that Alex's twin brother, the evil twin, Cole shows his true colors as well as his ability to walk,It's a Miracle! It's a Miracle! he screams, and clobbers him and leave him unconscious as he then joyfully takes off to celebrate his getting even with his twin brother to the nearest ginmill in order to get himself smashed. That in his twin brother Alex ending up getting the better things in life, like Angie, compared to failed artist Cole getting the sh*t end of the stick. It's at the very end of the movie with Angie by now almost completely insane that the truth comes out to who's behind this plan in driving her off her rocker. And it didn't have anything to do with her at all but the real-estate developer Mr. Bailey. And he, Bailey's killer, had a big surprise coming himself when he tried to pin Bailey's murder on Angie that ended blowing up in his face!

A Bit Drawn Out

Author: gavin6942 from United States
15 February 2013

After a young woman (Sharon Stone) is attacked in the elevator she meets her neighbors for the first time. One of them has a secret, the other has a crush on her. Her analyst tries to help her over the attack, but when she is invited to a mysterious apartment things get worse and worse.

Not even Ronny Cox could save this film. While Cox is an incredible actor and an amazing presence, this film has a few too many annoying aspects and tends to run a bit long. Sure, there is some suspense, and you need time to build that suspense, but there is a line that divides suspense and boredom, and I think the director may have crossed that line.

There are things to like about the film (besides Cox). The quirky characters, the menacing music... much of the architecture even makes of a good background. I do not happen to be a big fan of Sharon Stone (although Netflix seems to think so, because it has suggested her films more than once now). Some say this is among her best roles. Maybe, I do not know. A good editor good fix this one up nicely.

Flawed Film, but interesting

Author: rndgurl from Virginia
22 May 2004

Possible Spoilers I saw this movie several years after "Basic Instinct" came out, and this movie, although it has its flaws is interesting. It is intriguing to watch Ms Stone play a sweet, shy child woman as opposed to a sexy killer as in Basic Instinct. The apartment she is trapped in is very curious and weird, the setting keeps you wondering what will happen next. The script could have been better and the plot should have been "filled out" a bit, but overall this is a very strange and intriguing flick that stays with you. This movie is currently showing a lot on showtime, usually late at night, I would say that this flick is the perfect "late night" flick to catch on the cable.

Fairly well-made, but weak script-wise.

Author: gridoon
3 June 2001

During most of this film, Sharon Stone is trapped in a weird, large room and we, the viewers, are trapped along with her, forced to witness her slow descent into madness. She portrays it fairly well, but this whole effort just isn't a particularly enjoyable one. And when we reach the finale, expecting some sound psychological explanations, we get only generalities and trivialities (you guessed it:the key secret is another - SPOILER! - Childhood Trauma!). Didn't the director watch "Marnie" and learn his lesson? (*1/2)

Scissors

Author: Jonas Miller from Denmark
5 December 2007

You can already tell from the rating I gave this movie that it's excellent. The reason why it's so good is because you have to consider the genre of the movie (in this case a thriller).

This thriller is seriously worth your time and is one of those masterpieces that are overshadowed by lesser thrillers with lots of marketing dollars & hype to make up for the lack of great content.

Don't underestimate this movie and don't underestimate Sharon Stone. I'll guarantee you'll see her in a different light after. She is truly a gifted actress and in this movie you'll come to appreciate her talents. This movie has all the ingredients of a stone cold thriller so don't rob yourself of this experience. I'm not gonna say anything about the plot all I can say is watch it!

Brilliant

Author: bamptonj from Melbourne
22 November 2001

The atmosphere created in SCISSORS is quite intense, despite it's tele-movie leanings. It definitely seems an overlooked horror-thriller that leaves images lingering in mind, literally for years.

If you liked "The Look-alike" I am sure you'll love this even more!