Rush (1991) Poster

Excellent drama, much better than expected
smokehill18 May 2000
I watched this only because Sam Elliott was in it, expecting little from Patric & Leigh, whom I looked upon as TV-quality lightweights. I was quite wrong -- both can act with great strength when given a quality script (a rare item in Hollywood). This is an intense, driven tale about undercover cops firmly entangled in the drug underworld, with the criminal activity and hypocrisy evenly spread between the cops and the dealers. The accuracy of this portrayal and the obvious futility of the "War on Drugs" explain why this film was hammered loudly by the police departments, newspapers and mainstream critics. To anyone who hasn't spent time around serious junkies this film will be a bit of a jolt, but it's the best and most honest portrayal of this world ever put on film.

This is definitely not your standard two-cop "buddy" films that spew forth so often from the Hollywood colon. The story is not predictable, nor is the ending....nor the ending after that ending. Scripts like this are jolting because they make you realize just how awful most of the other films actually are.

Some of the secondary actors turn in surprisingly nice jobs here. Sam Elliott turns in his usual good work, always enjoyable, but several others are well worth mention: Max Perlich, the pathetic little snitch, and Gregg Allman, who with almost no dialogue does a very convincing portrayal of a malevolent local crime kingpin.

This is one of those rare movies where the soundtrack is worth owning. Eric Clapton does a superb score, and his selection of music for the saloon and drug den scenes is masterful.

I've watched this three times, each a few years apart, and it gets better each time. The film doesn't have rely on fancy car chases, lengthy gunfights or comic relief. It's simply a fine film done by craftsmen -- a rare treat indeed.
31 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a drama definitely worth seeing
LATENITE20 November 1999
'Rush' is a very powerful and moving drama complimented by some of the greatest acting performances of the stars' careers. Patric and Leigh are the most notably outstanding actors as a duo of undercover narcotic police officers delving into the illegal drug world of a small town in Texas. There were a few problems, though, in this film. Small parts of the film's dialogue are flawed and the pace gets too choppy at many points. Nevertheless, 'Rush' remains a great example of what dramatic scenes and acting should be. Highly recommended for drama movie lovers.
24 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent and intense
igulin21 October 2000
For those who claim this film unrealistic, mind you it is based on a true story. I hail Rush as one of the most powerful and emotional films to ever portray addiction. The characters coupled with Pete Dexter's realistic and sincere dialog paint a very sad, yet human picture of our culture. Our need to punish crime, yet our inability to steer 100% clear of it, is one of many themes intertwined with Rush's story. This film is a fine example of true filmmaking. There are no big effects, no trick stunts, yet one cannot turn away from the screen. Everything from the sutle production design to Eric Clapton's score make Rush a true modern classic.
27 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thought Provoking
snyderb24 December 2000
Rush was definitely interesting to watch, though not always pleasant to look at. Set amidst the war on drugs, this film challenges us to rethink this battle. Are the wasted resources really worth the hypocrisy and corruption that go hand in hand with the arrests? The movie was not extraordinary, but I did go away haunted by many of the prevalent themes.

The relationship between the two undercover agents was very intriguing. I would have liked to have seen a bit more development before they became so involved, but nevertheless, their support of each other, alone in a world they don't belong in, is very interesting. Their different descents, and partial ascents accross the blurred line of addiction gives merit to the portrayal of this affliction. I would definitely recommend Rush for those who have second thoughts about the war on drugs. This film shows us that the worlds of the law breakers and the law enforcers may not be so far apart after all.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good '70's styled cop film...
chas771 September 1999
While no masterpiece, "Rush" is an offbeat, well made film set in the early '70's centering on the efforts of some Texas cops to bust supposed drug dealer Greg Allman -- at all costs.

All of the actors perform well -- Jason Patric gives a particularly intense performance as the once idealistic officer who has obviously stayed undercover too long.

Great score by Eric Clapton. I really have no idea why this fairly unconventional film (gee, maybe that was the reason -- it wasn't a formulaic cop/buddy movie) did not receive more acclaim. 7/10.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well acted and convincing drama
John Seal9 February 2000
Rush was a controversial film upon it's initial release. Scenes depicting drug use by police officers were denounced by the usual Fraternal Orders and right wing cranks. Those scenes are only part of what makes Rush such a memorable experience. Good performances from Jennifer Jason Leigh as a starry eyed rookie narc, Sam Elliott as her burned out boss, and especially Max Perlich as a construction worker making some extra bucks in the drug trade anchor a film that makes a mockery of our vain attempts to somehow end the importation and use of these illegal substances. When does use change into addiction? How far will we go to stop people from abusing their bodies, and how many lies must be told in the process? Rush is a brave and provocative film that tells it's story without histrionics, a minimum of gunplay, and a dearth of sensationalism...despite what Officer Friendly may say about it.
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
gets me every time
yaknowreesa16 July 2006
Although this story isn't about the average person's everyday life, in my opinion this film is one of the most realistic and interesting movies I have ever viewed. This tale takes place in Caterly, TX where two undercover detectives have found their chance to make a difference, but after becoming involved in this world they realize that right and wrong is not always black and white. This film is very close to my heart. There are no cheesy lines that you only here in movies where you find yourself thinking "who really talks like that?" The emotions displayed by these characters come across the screen as guanine and hit you where it hurts. Most of all this movie has an unbelievable soundtrack including hits from Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Great Movie to see again and again!
psywizard8808 November 2006
I thought this movie was excellent. I loved Greg Allman in this. He really should make more movies. I remember the first time I saw him in the movie, walking into the bar, checking out people, clad in black with his long blonde hair, he was the bar owner type. He really did not have such a big part but I think he played a great Gains. My husband and I each have two different takes on the end of the movie. I say that when Jennifer Leigh is in court on the stand, when she looks at Gains, he takes his finger and runs it down his nose very slowly, while he is staring at her. The same thing that happened when the double barrel gun came through the window when she was laying on the couch. Now, I think that Leigh was the one in the back seat and blew Gains away. My husband says that police chief, or Sam Elliott killed him, I say it was Jennnifer Jason Leigh. Who was it? One of my all time favorite, one of many.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rough and Sweet
native_girl3339 July 2006
I saw "Rush" yesterday and it surprised me completely. I haven't seen so powerfully dedicated acting in a long time! In "Rush" two undercover police officers (soulful pair Jason Patric and Jennifer Jason Leigh) who are trying to bust every big drug dealer in Los Angeles. But there is a fine line of becoming a drug addict when you are acting to be one... Is it save to use drugs in the name of good intentions?

Lili Fini Zanuck directed (and her spouse Richard D. Zanuck produced) Jason Leigh and Patric with a touch of a combination of rough and soft at the same time. The pair gives performances which are strong and morningly present, too. Probably their career's best roles. The pair supports the story and are the strength of whole movie. I was blown away. Jason Leigh and Patric really had the unspoken chemistry. That isn't easy to achieve. They were very impressively convincing.

Although of the rough subject of the movie the love story rises behind it. If your partner is screwed than so are you, Patric's character Jim Raynor says to Kirsten (Jason Leigh) about their under-covering. Yes, it is true but I think that Kirsten would have done whatever Jim would have wanted her to do even she was so strong individual. It is a notion of overcoming love.

I really loved the feeling of the seventies in the movie. The music (composed by guitar-wizard Eric Clapton), clothes and the spirit was so '70s (my favorite decade even I wasn't been born yet). After happy hippie-sixties, the golden era of drug-using was behind and the drug-busting was just begun. If the using was so free in the '60s in the '70s it was spreading more fluently and the criminality was increasing. The movie shows that how dangerous it is to be close encounter with the drug dealers.

The movie has R-rating here in Finland and some other countries too and it is definitely rough and tough although there is a softer side. But I am sure that the drug addicts life isn't so pretty so "Rush" feels very authentic and real.

"Rush" was surprisingly good movie which held me throughout the whole movie. I highly recommend it.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's a fine line, Dodd.
lastliberal21 January 2008
Outstanding movie about undercover drug work with Jason Patric (In the Valley of Elah) and Jennifer Jason Leigh (Miami Blues, Margot at the Wedding).

Producer Lili Fini Zanuck (Driving Miss Daisy, Cocoon) directs her first film and does a great job of keeping the action moving as we delve into the sordid world of those who build cases against drug dealers and see the danger that they themselves are in. It was a revealing and tense film with outstanding performances by Patric and Leigh.

With Sam Elliott (The Big Lebowski, The Golden Compass) and Gregg Allman in his only movie.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Feelings towards the movie RUSH
mdnght13818 November 2005
I was about 21 when i first saw the movie Rush.. and i just fell in Love (well maybe not love, but close..) with Jason Patric. The mix between him and Jennifer Jason Leigh was wonderful. And adding Sam Elliot to the show was like icing on the cake. Then adding Max Perlich and Gregg Allman gave this movie the perfect cast. It was a movie that people could relate to b/c the writers and directors didn't dress it up to be something that it wasn't. They made a real life situation seem not only realistic, but interesting and informative as well . I felt like i was there with them the whole time, going through the motions like they were. I've watched this movie many times and it is by far my favorite movie,, never have i found a movie that can match the feelings that this one gives me. I say great job to all who where involve. It is an amazing movie and a must see. Truly what a movie should be. Thanks for listening, Angel
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a career starter that stands the test of time
smfilm26 November 2012
24 years later, Rush is intensely interesting.... and is remarkable for being a piece of movie history where history was revealed, careers were started, real life relationships ended, and lawsuits were flying everywhere.

Jennifer Jason Leigh had a long career going before this, but prior to Rush, her only real critical success had been the super edgy and brutal but unknown Last Exit to Brooklyn. The very private Jason Patric had gotten lucky with Solar Babies and Lost Boys.... but really neither of them were flying artistically yet.... Rush changed that. Top flight performances from both marked them as first stop actors for real acting work in the decades since.

Kim Rozencraft's novel about her Texas undercover work in the early 70's is mostly represented well here except for the extraordinarily ugly real life ending of Kim's breakups, prison time, and eventually lawsuits over the movie for the real life Jim and Kristen.

Rush very faithfully recreates blue collar Southern Rock / Texas mood of the 70's along with drug culture and lax police oversight and case making.

The actors do a great job of depicting a cop couple doing a months long torturous circling of the drain while in love. They have obvious great chemistry as resulted in Jason Patric leaving Julia Roberts for Jennifer Jason Leigh in real life. To reflect back, that was as if in 2013 Brad Pitt left Angelina for Daniella Kertesz in World War Z... it was the biggest story in the world at the time.

Rush has some stunning scenes. Dancing together while Freddy Fender sings 'Last Teardrop Falls'. The defining moment of the movie being the table scene where coffee cups fly and Walker gets turned.

Great movie and now a true classic that I wish they would release on Blu Ray.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Title Is Self-Explanatory
jzappa9 September 2007
Rush does not have my favorite atmosphere, that of big belt buckles, long hair, cowboy hats, and barrelhead bars. Not a fan. But, the film is very powerful. It's directed with a very discerning pace and clearcut, head-on reception of every emotion and tension released by every scene by Lili Fini Zanuck. Because of this, the film, which some say is not so action- packed, is actually brimming with action. The action doesn't largely involve guns or chases or fights but involves a harrowing ride through the attacks of libido and paranoia of drug addiction. The film is a masterpiece of direct film-making. Not only is Zanuck's aforementioned style barefaced and precise, the story is the reality of a deep cover narcotics operation. Hardly any connection with the outside world at all, the acclamation to hard drugs, the dangerous risk taken by the chemistry between the narcs working together, and the unexpected traumatic, malicious confrontations that turn out to be the most harrowing and affecting experiences on the whole.

Jason Patric and Jennifer Jason Leigh make for a surprisingly very intense duo. Patric delivers a gem of a performance as a dark, hardened cop who reaches the peak of every alarming human extent. Leigh, as the straight man so to speak in that particular area, delivers on quite a sensitive note. Also, having been scarred by her maddening irritating side in The Hudsucker Proxy, I was happy to see her in a performance where she did not go over the top and stayed at the level that made her stand out quite a lot. And, on a side note, I had no idea she was so hot. Her body, especially around the level of the hips and thighs, is perfection rarely so magnified. Watch for the scene in the apartment where she's wearing jeans and a black shirt. You'll sweat till your clothes stick.

Rush has what one wouldn't expect from a film like it, and that is a villain that is an added bonus in every way. We see him only as silent punctuation at the beginning, middle, and end. He is elusive, smarter than any of his partners, calculating, all underneath that long Texas hair of his. From the start, we are presented with a man who only appears to all that come in contact with him to be no different, wearing boots, the accent, everything I said at the top, the like, but beneath the appearance is someone who knows the trouble and chaos those who try to catch him throughout the film are about to go through and smirks inside about it.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Leigh and Patrick deliver academy award worthy performances in this gritty, stark drama.
triple820 February 2006

I read the book "Rush" as well and found both the book and the film to be very good. The supporting cast was incredible. And The performances from the two leads are as good as it gets and about as good as Leigh and Patrick get. If one were to doubt the acting ability of either of these two people, they'd need only to see this film. Both of them immerse themselves in their roles and the fact that they are performers playing a part, really does disappear. It was two excellent casting choices, casting these two as the police officers.

The movie itself is moody, grim, and, at times brutal, but it always stays interesting. I loved the southern feel of the film and think the atmospheric cinematography was spot on. Rush is really thought provoking and the performances from Patrick and Leigh, being really much more then merely good, were both academy award worthy. They also had an incredibly strong amount of on screen chemistry and that chemistry adds a lot to this film.

Rush is a very difficult film to watch because of the subject matter. This is both an anti drug film and a crime film and so there's not exactly a lot of sweetness and light but the film is very well made and the supporting performers deserve a lot of kudos as well. Because of just how stark and grim the film is, with less talented people it may have become to difficult to watch but this movie is performance driven and always keeps one watching.

The story and characters are complex, and watching this one does kind of forget it's a movie as the film plays like a volcano about to erupt and a lot of different feelings are felt when watching this. There were a lot of films being made around this time about drugs and though this isn't my favorite, it is one of the most complex and well acted.

The main negatives are the slow moving nature of the film, the extreme talky quality and the mood of the film in general which is so gloomy it's tough to get through at times. There's a lot of violence, a lot of drug use and a lot of people getting hurt or killed. The story however, as grim as it is, is also fascinating and it's almost impossible not to get hooked in. The ending is full of questions and a bit more ambiguous then I would have liked(it also differs from the book). Rush isn't going to be for everybody but I liked the film and loved the performances from everyone. I'd give this a 7.5 of 10.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great 1970's Time Capsule
Red Queen6 January 2013
Not hard to follow, just lacking plot, Rush captured a way of life more than it followed a sequence of events. What struck me about this film was how realistic it was to the seventies rural drug culture, and how casual it was, with the kingpin being untouchable. The attitudes are dead on.

The Eric Clapton soundtrack was an ingenious idea that again was dead on for the period, but disappointing in its unoriginality.

I still can't figure out the worst love scene in cinematic history or why was that was included, but men seem to like this movie a lot and never mention that.

The ending was good but anticlimactic as the surprise was ruined by foreshadowing in the opening scene. Again, I just don't understand why they did it that way.

But I do get the gist of this film and it's an interesting socio- political comment.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Intense but slow
valerie-868 October 2009
I preface by stating I am a big fan of JJL and NOT one of Patrick. Therefore I watched this to see her performance and of course, it was excellent. I do not feel the director was adequate for the film as several very bad choices were made re: shot angles, blocking, etc. If the director was trying to give it a "realistic" feel, they failed and lost some good performances because of it. Nearly always felt that the camera was way too static, too far from intense facial reactions -- and so many times when the action depended on the intimacy of lead characters, the dialog was slow and plodding. This easily could have been resolved by cutaways or changes of camera angle. But the impression I got was that the budget was too small and only one camera was used! I also got the impression that perhaps scenes were shot multiple times and the energy coming from the actors was... used up.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Marginalized Persons
Robert J. Maxwell16 June 2006
The cable guide summary was misleading -- "Two undercover cops become lovers and addicted to dope and danger." Look out -- action movie ahead, right? Righteous cops seek out Gothic underworld figures. Motorcycle chases. Exploding heads. Vicious beatings. The shoot out in the automobile graveyard. The final vindication with the hero's arm in a sling. But no. It's a mature movie. Above all, the couple don't get hooked on danger. On the contrary, they're scared to death of it.

Jason Patric and Jennifer Jason Leigh are two narcs who must be part of the drug world they inhabit and yet retain their identities as cops. In a way they're marginal people, like shop foremen or upper-echelon clerks -- no longer just workers, yet not part of management either. Or like cultural anthropologists, for that matter, participant observers, of which I was one. Two of us were studying psychedelic drug use in New York way back when and were doing on-site observation at a party where everyone else was getting stoned. The dope turned my hosts paranoid and they accused us of being narcs. My partner and I agreed that I would partake of the illicit substance -- just a hit or two to reassure our subjects -- and my partner would not. It reflected really poor judgment on my part. (How long is the statue of limitations in effect, again?) But watching this movie, I could understand pretty much exactly where these two narcs were coming from. In their case, life and death were involved. If you don't participate, you don't do your job. If you do, you're breaking the law. If one side finds you out, you're spanked. If the other side finds you out, you're spanked.

What's important in a movie like this are the performances and they're quite good. Not just Patric and Leigh, but even the smaller parts. I was pleasantly surprised by the direction as well. Let me see. The producer is Richard Zanuck. The director is Lili Fini Zanuck. When you see a combination of names like those with statuses like those, you have to suspect nepotism. But, nepotism or no, the direction is unhurried, dark, humorless and very effective, the subdued equal of one of Sidney Lumet's stories of squealing cops in New York.

The photography is outstanding, its colors drawn from the cool end of the spectrum. The music is by Eric Clapton and he does a great riff on Texas Rock, though we still hear his vibrating chords through the cow flops.

It isn't a happy movie. But it's unusually well done.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Portrays the Drug Scene 100%
IHATEITHERE7415 August 2011
As an ex-addict (who am I a fooling, I'll always be an addict for life), this movie plays to exactly how an addict works in life. You will do whatever you have to do to get that high. Whether it be coke, heroin, speed, etc. this movie portrays it perfectly. Once you have done heroin, there is no turning back. Yes, it is that addictive. I'm not a big coke fan, but Meth (Speed)is damned addictive and good luck getting off of it once you have started. This movie portrays this perfectly, as Jennifer J. Leigh is going through the carpet and snorting whatever Meth she has found (I've done the same and it is a terrible thing).

The message of this movie is perfectly clear. Do NOT put yourself in the position to get strung out on any of this stuff. It will ruin your life, like it ruined mine.

Is there anything better than a shot of heroin? No...There is not. Is there anything better than being high on Meth? No, there is not. STAY AWAY FROM IT ALL OR IT WILL WRECK YOUR LIFE AS IT DID MINE!!!

Drugs are a great escape until you find out it is too late and in up in rehab (which I did). Even after rehab I went back to using. Yep....It is that hard a habit to break.

I am in a Methadone clinic now, but getting close to getting out.

Bottom line? Don't mess with any of this stuff if you want to keep a clean life.

God bless.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An emotional drama
Nigel-262 December 1999
I think I hired this movie because I noticed that Eric Clapton had scored the soundtrack. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the movie, the acting, although the dialogue and diction were hard to pick up at times, and the overall theme. The little twist at the end was a nice way to finish and does remind a viewer to concentrate earlier to ascertain the reason why! Can Sam Elliott get a deeper voice than this!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'm going deeper underground!
Spikeopath31 July 2016
Rush is directed by Lili Fini Zanuck and adapted to screenplay by Peter Dexter from the Kim Wozencraft novel. It stars Jason Patric, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Sam Elliott, Max Perlich and Gregg Allman. Music is by Eric Clapton and cinematography by Kenneth MacMillan.

Two undercover narcotic cops get on a downward spiral that they may not return from...

Set and filmed in Texas, Rush is a hot, sweaty and claustrophobic neo- noir. It maybe doesn't have the classic visual tics of yesteryear, but it has photographic style to burn - with Clapton's score suitably melancholic, which in turn is something that sits perfectly with the perpetual sense of doom that pervades the pic. Corruption and addiction lead the way, all while love tries its hardest to break on through to the other side, but we are on a bus to noirville, and noirville is an unforgiving place...

Patric and Leigh are damn fine actors if given the right material to work with, and they carry this with aplomb. Sadly, Allman is a weak villain, maybe because he looks like a Rick Wakeman clone?! While under using Sam Elliott is just a plain waste. However, this deserves its place on neo-noir lists. It is deliberate in pacing, therefore asking for you to buy into the thematics at work, to let them itch your skin, but to do so has rewards, for in true noir style it doesn't chicken out once the end credits have rolled. 7.5/10
Drug-addled intensity
Mr-Fusion12 May 2015
You know that know in your stomach when you're watching a character go down a dark road? "Rush" is pretty much that feeling, and it starts when wholesome Jennifer Jason Leigh has to shoot up in front of a dealer to prove she's not a cop. Jason Patric has already explained to her how easy it is t kick addiction (just have to be strong enough), but we know deep down, she's in for hell. And they both are, be it addiction, the criminal underworld or their superiors. These are two officers who are woefully in too deep, and that feeling does not let up.

The prevailing impression I've had of this "Rush" (since '91) is that it's a "harrowing" drug movie. And I'm not sure I'd use that word (maybe that's because 25 years have passed since I finally watched it), but the drug scenes are still hard to watch, not to mention Patric's downward spiral. It is gripping, that's for sure. Gregg Allmann's pretty great as a (mostly) silent dope kingpin. But Leigh's performance was the standout, and the movie does ultimately leave its mark.

1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as gloomy as it should be, but original and never dull.
Podtytulem19 March 2011
First of all, terrific cast: J.J.Leigh as young and green anti-drug cop was an excellent choice. Despite she was 5 years olden than Patrick, she acting like real rookie. Jason Patrick act well but there is something missing in his character. Max Perlich as "mister Walker" is also great.

I can't imagine how it's possible, that after all this good choices, Zanuck (or someone) thinks that Gregg Allman should be a bad guy. Allman look like old harmless hippie, and he can't compete with Patrick and Leigh.

The script is really good, but don't expect some action scene. This is drama about cops, not crime movie with drama attitude.

Story is not predictable, there is no stupid and pathetic scenes, like in so many modern crime movie. And Jennifer is always worth seeing.

It's just good movie, but "just" means a lot these days.
jrenemccarthy24 May 2006
I first saw this movie when I was 16 years old (in 1994) and I immediately loved it. Jennifer Jason Leigh is one of my favorite actresses and the soundtrack is extremely moving and intense. Eric Clapton did an excellent job, but the song that really made the movie for me was "Bridge of Sighs", which was played twice during the movie, in the beginning and at the end, by Robin Trower. I remember after I saw it for the first time I wondered who sang that song and it took me years to figure it out. I found out who sang it in 2004 after writing down all the songs that were played in the movie, and I just kept narrowing it down and narrowing it down until I thought, "It must be 'Bridge of Sighs'" because I recognized a few of the lyrics. That song was just chilling! Gregg Allman did an amazing job, too, as Gaines. I also read the book, but years after I first saw the movie. Every time I see this movie it captivates me, and I am a very picky movie-goer. I am the type of person who likes documentaries the best, or at least movies that are really "real", with plots that could have happened in real life. And every single time I see one of the last scenes--in the courtroom-- it gives me chills and brings tears to my eyes. It's just one of my favorite movies of all time and definitely a must-see!
Generation X Must!
Todd11 July 2003
This movie has nothing new as far as plot. It's a story as old as time. What makes gravy of this flick is the acting. Many of the roles in this picture are played by next to nobody's. Basically, your standard issue supporting supporting actor. Regardless I enjoyed a astounding performance by Sam Eliott, William Sadler and especially Max Perlich who has had us all going since 'Gleaming the Cube.' Now that I aged myself. This movie came at a point in our generation when we were ready to lift the burden of Reganomics and The earlier, less deadly strain, of the Bush virus. This movie not only openly portrays drug use, it embraces it. Many movies such as 'Requiem for a Dream,' 'Trainspotting,' and 'Leaving Las Vegas' owe patronage to 'Rush' for breaking the Conservative mold on drug use in cinema. Basically all we had was Spicoli walking out of a smoke filled V-Dub saying 'Aloha, Mr. Hand.' Remember movies such as 'Days of Wine and Roses' where American addictions are outllined skin tight. Go figure it took a movie about cops doing the deed to break the mold. Of course this movie placed a delayed promotion for modern flicks such as 'Training Day' and of course 'NARC.'

Bottom Line : The movie will tend to drag as most drug movies do. I'm sure if you induce fore mentioned, it won't drag. Beyond that, Excelent Directing, Exquisite soundtrack by the (at moment mourning) Clapton, and most deffinitely a must for those who appreciate fine acting, so much you forget they're actors (which has become recently rare). Heck, I bought it at Best Buy for $7.50, worth at least three times that.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"what the f**k do you thing you're doin'?" "I'm doin' my job'
zengun20 February 2003
It doesn't matter what your job is, life is alot more complicated than the stereotypical social commentary on it. In that sense, anyone can relate to this film. What you hope for from a movie is that it will talk to you, will speak to you, just as you hope for when you meet a new person. You hope they'll send you a message, tell you that they see life something like the way you do, and in that you find a comfort from the terrifying experience of existence, a relief from that cosmic lonliness. Life gnaws at you, gets to you, takes you right to the edge, and then you have to shake it off and "get up on your feet and walk". Brilliant film. I'm a better person for having seen it.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this