IMDb > Run (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Run

Run More at IMDbPro »

its one of those films..

Author: frog_chorus from belfast, ireland
7 September 2004

its one of those films that you discover when you cant sleep and then switch on the telly at 3am , its really quite gripping , i love the two crooked cops who try to make a few bob out of it then end up crashing off the top of the car park , Dempsey once again excels at playing the clueless geek and ken Pogue is the ultimate bad guy . The slightly eerie small town Connecticut atmosphere is created really well in this , i wouldn't say its a Hitchcock although i would defo buy the DVD if it came out , some films just get a little cult following and this is one ! I'm with all those who like this one !

Not Oscar material, but surprisingly good.

Author: David Nihsen from Omaha, NE
6 January 2004

Read a couple of user reviews about this movie, and they say it was forgettable pap. I disagree. Granted, it will not win any awards, but it's an enjoyable movie.

Patrick Dempsey puts in a credible performance as a kid on the run. Some complain that it's just one big chase scene. News flash! The name of the movie is "Run"! You get what you expect to see.

Besides, if it's so forgettable, why are we talking about it 12 years later?

-Dave

In Comparison to Out of Bounds...

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
6 March 2004

I would consider Run in comparison to an Anthony Michael Hall movie called Out of Bounds and make the recommendation for the former if this is the kind of movie that you're in the mood for.

Out of Bounds, which I think came out in 1986, stars Hall as an Iowan kid who goes to visit his brother in Los Angeles. Through a case of mistaken identity, he suddenly finds himself in a world of trouble, running from drug lords and cops, because (insert forced gasp here) he picks up the same gym as another person who was smuggling dope. Well, not to give away to much of the story, he finds this quirky girl to help him out.

Out of Bounds is very similar to Run in that, through mistaken assumptions, a kid is on the run from both the mob and crooked cops. A girl helps this kid out in his desperate struggle to escape a whole slew of maniacs. Run and Out of Time are both basically films about kids spending a whole movie trying to figure out how they're going to avoid their doom.

Run, however, makes for a much better movie than Out of Time, despite people's inclination for early Anthony Michael Hall movies. In Out of Time, he hardly acted like he wanted to be in the movie. Other than the girl that helps him out, it is a whole lot of nothing and rather predictable "coincidences."

Though only a B movie, it Run is much more exciting with efforts in acting as well as action scenes (such as the police car falling off of the mall parking garage and the man dangling over the edge from his pants leg). If you like Patrick Dempsey and Kelly Preston, you're probably certain to enjoy this film. It's actually a good lazy day kind of film.

Surprising-good chase film

Author: isenberg-e from Corrales, New Mexico
24 July 2002

OK, it isn't Lawrence of Arabia, but this film is a fun chase movie that pits a college kid against the combined might of a small community crime figure and many of his paid-off local cops. The ways Patrick Dempsey, the hero, succeeds is a far cry from the super-competent methods of previous and more formulaic eras. There is just the right mixture of humor and suspense that makes one enjoy this film in spite of knowing that it isn't exactly high-brow entertainment.

an awesome action movie

Author: moviecollector from WI.
28 April 2004

I just checked this out yesterday on the Mystery channel, I expected it to be a lame action movie. But this 1 surprised me, I was entertained through the whole thing. Nice action set pieces like the 1 in the bowling alley. & this is the best P. Dempsey movie I've seen with him, plus he's Sean Penn's look-a-like in the movie. I was convinced that Sean Penn was in this movie cause Patrick looks so much like a younger version of Sean. I'm sure the plot has been mentioned b4, so I'll end by saying that this was a great little entertaining action flick. Its worth seeing. :)

Luck Is His Name

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
25 July 2006

In Boston, the law student and lucky poker player Charlie Farrow (Patrick Dempsey) works in a garage and is hired by his boss to deliver a Porsche in Atlantic City. The car has an injection problem on the highway, and while waiting the repair, Charlie asks the cab driver to take him to a restaurant. The guy sees the fancy car and the destination, Atlantic City, and wrongly decides to take Charlie to a local casino, believing he is a millionaire. Charlie wins all the gambles and the loser Denny Halloran (Alan C. Peterson) tries to hit Charlie, but accidentally stumbles, hits his head on a counter and dies. His father, the powerful mobster Matt Halloran (Ken Pogue), puts a reward on Charlie, and the gangsters and dirty cops chase him along the night. Charlie runs to save his life, with the support of Karen Landers (Kelly Preston).

"Run" is one of the most entertainment chase movies I have ever seen. The story is flawed, I know, but is also very charming and funny. The lead actor Patrick Dempsey is perfect for the role, and his character looks like a cat with seven lives, lucky to win the game, survive the chasing and seduce the adorable Kelly Preston. Her astonishing beauty is another plus in this underrated, amusing and highly recommended action movie. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Fugindo Para Viver" ("Escaping to Live")

A fast paced roller coaster thrill ride

Author: anonymous from London, England
18 June 1999

In response to another person's valid comment about this movie, I would like to say that they are wrong to say this movie is Hitchcockian, the so called master director couldn't ever hope to make anything this good.

Run, is as fast paced as its title suggests. A brilliant masterwork about a young, naiive man who finds himself on the run from about everyone within a community when he is wrongfully accused of killing a mobster's son.

There is great support from all the cast, and it's without a doubt there hasn't been a better cat and mouse thriller since its release. Underrated actor Patrick Dempsey's second best movie since Can't Buy Me Love, which by the way is better than the more than adequately enjoyable, She's All That.

A "B" film that works overtime to deliver the goods

Author: lemon_magic from Wavy Wheat, Nebraska
6 January 2006

"Run" is one of those underrated gems that you hope to find when you take a chance and rent (or watch) a movie that you know very little about. I first rented this in 1991 when it came out on VHS and found it extremely entertaining...when the Mystery channel showed it again a while back, I made a point of catching it, and was pleased to note how well it holds up. This is the kind of movie where the performances are 'fat free' and underplayed and effective, where the stunts and action pieces are inventive and inspired without drawing too much attention to themselves, where the writing is economical and streamlined.

Admittedly, "Run" is definite "B" caliber, with a pretty shallow plot and cardboard characters, but within its parameters (action/crime thriller with Hitchcokian elements) it does a wonderful job. Patrick Dempsey is a completely believable 'everyman', a skinny nerdish type who shows up at the wrong place at the wrong time and gets into a heap of trouble. With corrupt cops and angry hoodlums chasing him, he has no choice but to try to get out of a town that the Mafia seems to own from City Hall on down. The screenplay is tightly plotted, with the screws being turned tighter and tighter on poor Dempsey with each new development, and his character's only advantage is that he is, well, extremely slippery.

Casting a skinny "geek" like Dempsey in this role was an inspired stroke . Dempsey is no one's idea of a typical 'action hero' and so he doesn't act like one...as a result his characters reactions are extremely credible. He can't do an "Ah-nold" or shoot things out like Dirty Harry - all he can do is squirm and wriggle and dodge his way out of tighter and tighter situations. And boy, does he (or his stunt doubles) wriggle. Action scenes and stunts in this movie are thus keyed to evasion,deception and Desperation. Our 'hero' slithers down stadium stairs and slides headfirst down bowling alleys and hurdles steeplejack style over and under obstacles and in general just runs like a rabbit from danger. Even at the climax, when he's finally been caught and subdued and is about to be thrown off a rooftop, he squirms so hard and frenziedly that the two hoodlums that were meant to toss him off end up losing their balance and falling in his place!

"Run" is very enjoyable for what it is, and can be enjoyed by any fan of films like "The Man Who Knew Too Much". After a long slump, Dempsey eventually went on to great success on television (most recently in "Grey's Anatomy") and went from a skinny geek to something of a "hunk"...that cheers me immensely...there may be hope for us all.

Run Run Run !!!

Author: thebigmovieguy from Montreal, Québec
1 August 2003

"Run" tells the story of law student Charlie Farrow (Patrick Dempsey) whose working part time as a mechanic on a campus in Boston. His boss offers him money to deliver the car to a man in Atlantic City. Unfortunately, the car breaks down only half way to Atlantic City. Charlie leaves the car in a garage for repairs and enters a casino/restaurant ran by the local mob. As a lucky gambler, Charlie plays poker with the mobster's son who doesn't accept failure and gets in a fight with Charlie. The guy accidently kills himself in a bad fall, leaving Charlie as the only witness. The mobster sends his goons and the police after Charlie who can't prove his innocence without the help of a beautiful croupier who saw everything.

*SPOILERS*

I must say this movie contains some never before seen action scenes (to my experience) in a movie. 1) Charlie is chased down a bowling alley. 2) Charlie gets thrown of the top of a building but hangs on after a henchman's pants. 3) Charlie kills the mobster with the "bait" used in dog races.

A great performance from highly underrated actor Patrick Dempsey who has yet starred in a big blockbuster. Kelly Preston is gorgeous and also gives a believable performance. The rest of the cast is okay as well as the direction and script. This movie is fast paced which makes it so entertaining to watch more than once. I bought this movie and recommend it to anyone who loves chase movies such as "The Fugitive", "US Marshals", "The Hunted" and the new movie "Pressure" (which looks much like "Run"). Overall, a nice little movie worth a least one watch and a 7 rating on 10.

The title says it all!

Author: Fred Manteghian (fredmant@ct1.nai.net)
17 January 2000

I saw this movie only once, on the small screen, but I put it in my top 10 of most anxiously awaited DVDs. A college student finds himself on the wrong side of town (intentionally), but ends up doing some very bad things (not intentionally) that make him the subject of a man hunt by a mobster who definitely doesn't respect a suspects rights. The kid has one choice -- Run!

A Great Non-Stop Adrenaline Rush!