IMDb > Rock-A-Doodle (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rock-A-Doodle

Rock-A-Doodle More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Fair, but not a true winner

Author: staisil2 from Wisconsin
23 August 2003

Rock-A-Doodle could have been something more, something better than what it was since it was done by Don Bluth, the man who also did The Land Before Time and All Dogs Go To Heaven. I mean, this cartoon is ok, and the music is kind of fun, but other than that, the movie kinda sucks and it is just for little kids to keep them occupied for a while. 5.5 out of 10.

isn't it romantic, when roosters fall in love?

Author: Sarah Cunningham (sjcunn01@athena.louisville.edu) from louisville, kentucky
4 August 1999

this is so awful. good thing elvis is dead because the embarrassment of this may have killed him. i like to watch this and laugh. if you don't want to watch the whole thing, just watch the end for the final song and dance. laughs all around. i especially like the way they blend the real life boy (who has coon skin cap hair) with the hideous animation.

Say it ain't so, Don...

Author: La Gremlin from Boston, MA
18 September 2000

Let me begin by saying that "the Secret of NIMH" is my favorite movie of all time. I've often wondered why Don Bluth has never made any movie that has been anywhere near as good as this one (granted "NIMH" is about as perfect as any animated movie can get, so it's sort of a tough act to follow). Then I had the Golden Moment: Bluth is a Hayao Miyazaki trapped in the body of a Michael Eisner. On the one hand, he wants to elevate animation to an art form capable of heart rending beauty. On the other, he feels like he has to make films that are marketable, and that will be hits. In short, he's been clipping his own wings.

With that in mind, watching "Rock-a-Doodle" made me physically ill. It is the one movie that has completely screwed up my "is it worse that 'Theodore Rex'?" rating system, because it is so depressing to watch. Why did Bluth greenlight this story (if you can call it that)? You can be a parody of the old Elvis musicals, you can be an adventure with some animals lost in a strange city, you can be a fantasy with an evil wizard who wants an eternal night, you can be a dumb little kids' movie with some stupid kid dancing with cartoon animals. You can be any *ONE* of these movies but you cannot be all four at once!

Rock a doodle... don't

Author: anxietyresister from United Kingdom
14 November 2006

Before I get into this film, I'd just like to comment on the last few minutes, when little Edmund enters into his fantasy world of singing daisies, talking birds and day-glo skies for the first time (can I take some of what he's having)? Can you say WORST USE OF CARTOON SPLICED WITH LIVE ACTION EVER?! The black lines around the boy and the difference between his movements and the animation is so bad you expect to spot a blue screen any minute. Some advice: only attempt this difficult feat if you have the budget and the technical know-how. Roger Rabbit got away with it. Cool World survived by the skin of it's teeth. This, however is just embarrassing. Attempting it on a movie which isn't backed by the big bucks is like trying to purchase an engagement ring for 10p... you'll only end up with a cheap imitation. Seriously, Don Bluth should be ashamed of himself for the whole mess, and after watching how bad the effects are at the end it's almost impossible to remember the rest of the movie. But I'll try.

So here we go: A young boy turned into a cat by a wicked Owl, must venture into the the city with his animal friends and locate an escapee rooster from the farm whose crow every morning helped the sun rise. Without him, the weather has turned to torrential rain and darkness, which suits Mr Owl and his buddies to a tee. Only problem is, their rooster buddy has now discovered a new talent for harmonising Elvis Presley-type rock tunes, and his new manager won't let him go because the old miser has been rolling it in cold hard cash ever since. Does THIS sound like the sort of movie you wanna see? If so, then good luck to ya...

Mind you, at only 71 minutes long you could do worst things with your life. Going to sleep for instance, or working on your garden (Why do old people find weeding so stimulating?). But still, watching a loud, obnoxious cartoon feature with precious little to interest those over 9 is not really worth a chunk out of your day. Ever heard of Disney? Yeah, they might suck as a company, but they sure have made some quality films over the years. Unfortunately, but rather predictably, Rock-A-Doodle falls well short of those lofty goals. Ask yourself: in a world with Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Pinocchio et all... why would you put THIS on instead? How ironic, that in the early 80's, Don Bluth left the Disney stable to set up his own production company, because he felt Walt and co weren't making very good films any more. Having sat through this, Thumbelina and (spit) The Pebble and the Penguin, and I can safely say he has become what he was seeking to avoid. Shame that... 4/10

One awful animated movie

Author: Mario Rodgers from San Antonio, TX
27 September 2000

This movie is just really pathetic. It has a weak story and gets exceedingly cheesy at times. Even the most average of Disney films is many times better than this mess. It's hard to imagine that the same man who did the wonderful Secret of Nimh also did this piece of trash. While the Secret of Nimh was exceptionally animated and had vibrant colors, this had poor animation and very weak colors. The villain was also one of the weakest I've ever seen. The attempts at humor are pathetic and an insult to the audience's intelligence. This is possibly Bluth at his worst, although it's a toss up between this and A Troll in Central Park.

Great if you're young, horrible if you're old

Author: PinkBubbles
2 July 2000

This movie was around when I was six years old, and I must admit, I was too young to see how trashy this movie really was.

However, years later, I went into my collection of childhood favourites. Hm, "Rock-a-Doodle". I watched it for about 30 minutes, and then turned it off. Although full of creativity, this movie lacks far too much.

When you're a little child though, you can easily be amused by the "cute characters".

I wouldn't complain though. This movie is an award winner when compared to A Troll in Central Park, something I'm ashamed to say was also directed by Don Bluth.

My rating: *1/2 (out of 5 *'s)

Oh, Sadness...

Author: wileyjp from Canada
10 December 2000

I recently saw this movie again. I remember it being really bad, but not THIS bad! The characters are ugly. I mean, I know that they wouldn't be on par with Disney's characters, but they shouldn't be deliberately made ugly just because the AREN'T Disney. Relative body sizes and proportions shift constantly, and characters suddenly grow new facial features for one close-up shot and then lose it again. Watching this film reminds me of those surrealistic nightmares we all have where figures constantly change shape and you can't keep up with them. The kid is just plain ugly, the cat is ugly, the cat is uglier when he dresses up as Daniel Boone (because he was a naked cat! HA!), his voice stinks and the end where he joins his animated friends hurts the eyes with its using-a-fan-as-a-toilet badness.

The incidences in the farm and in the city seem like they were from two separate movies. Chanticleer (or should I say "Shonty-clair") is little more than a prop, and he spends most of his time incapacitated. The kid's inferiority complex is more laboured than an elephant giving birth, to the point where he says "I'm too small to [fill in the blank]" out of nowhere, just so we get the point. The songs are crap, and there are twice as many songs as there should have been. A prime example is the horrible Bouncer Toad song. See it and try to believe that it was considered a good enough idea to be included in a movie, even if it was this movie.

The ONLY scene I enjoyed is where the warbling dancing bees get wiped out by snowflakes, but even that is of no consequence, does not lead into or out of anything, and looks like it was taken from the storyboards of another movie which never was made, inserted just for a laugh.

Just plain don't see this movie, unless you like crap animation that isn't from Japan or are a devoted fan of Charles "Hollywood Squares" Nelson Reilly.

Won't appeal to anyone with pubic hair.

Author: _stonecold1231 from Canada
28 August 2000

Even the least interesting Disney animated flicks are light years ahead of "Rock-A-Doodle". I cringed in terror during each and every single second of this crapola film.

Just when you think the movie couldn't get any worse, there's that atrocious song and dance number at the end. Why did Don Bluth insist on combining live action with animation (the only time it truly worked was in the excellent "Who Framed Roger Rabbit")? And what was the point of involving that little kid in the story to begin with?

"Rock-A-Doodle" is probably one of the worst movies in general I've ever had the misfortune of seeing. I'm sure the money wasted on this steaming pile of excrement could have better used to feed several Third World countries.

Animation at its worst

Author: nutz4n64 from Schaumburg, IL
25 February 2000

Ah, I remember the days of my childhood. Animation was the biggest thing at the time. I remember the advertisements this movie got and how much I wanted to see it. Why? I was 8. Why else? It looked cool. I begged my parents to take me and finally, my wish came true. We found a theater showing Rock-A-Doodle. Well, after seeing it, Mom and Dad obviously had to ask what I thought. I mumbled, "Yeah, good." Did I mean it. Uh, no. I was in a stage of my life when I never wanted to call a movie bad, so if it was, I'd lie. I sat through the entire movie, waiting to actually become interested and excited by it. Well, whenever it looked like it would get good, it just sunk lower. I hated how they mixed the real life characters with this storybook cartoon. I hated the ending. I couldn't stand this movie. If you've read any of my reviews, you'd probably know that I don't like all this bad talk on the Pokemon movie. Everyone that said it was "the worst animated movie you've ever seen," just rent this movie. The characters were hardly likeable. The story was dumb. You will throw your VCR out the window in a split second. 1/10 Recommendable to no one.

Just say no

Author: etg1701 from United States
9 September 2006

Every so often, the basest elements of the human race, from the Holocaust to the Great Leap Forward, gush forth and wreak havoc on the world. With the release of this atrocious work, they have struck again. OK, that may be a bit much, but I think I've made my point. Perhaps I'm being a classical snob, but I can't help feeling a bit of annoyance at the Elvis vs. Bach set-up of the movie. However, what really gets under my skin are the silly characters (talking animals as usual, one with a "cute", that is to say pointless, speech impediment), the dull, insipid plot, the heavy-handed narration, and so on. In short, when it comes to Rock-a-doodle, just say no.

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]