The Prince of Tides
Quicklinks
Top Links
trailers and videosfull cast and crewtriviaofficial sitesmemorable quotes
Overview
main detailscombined detailsfull cast and crewcompany credits
Awards & Reviews
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsparents guidemessage board
Plot & Quotes
plot summarysynopsisplot keywordsmemorable quotes
Did You Know?
triviagoofssoundtrack listingcrazy creditsalternate versionsmovie connectionsFAQ
Other Info
box office/businessrelease datesfilming locationstechnical specsliterature listingsNewsDesk
Promotional
taglines trailers and videos posters photo gallery
External Links
showtimesofficial sitesmiscellaneousphotographssound clipsvideo clips

Connect with IMDb



2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2007 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002

11 items from 2016


Composer James Newton Howard to Be Honored for Career Achievement by Bmi

12 April 2016 3:47 PM, PDT | Variety - Film News | See recent Variety - Film News news »

Performing rights organization Broadcast Music Inc. is presenting its career achievement laurel, the Bmi Icon Award, to composer James Newton Howard at its 2016 Film & Television Awards, to be held May 11 at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills.

The remarkably prolific film and TV maestro, with almost 150 scoring credits to his name dating back to 1985, has been nominated for a total of eight Oscars in the original song and music categories, which include his work for “The Prince of Tides,” “My Best Friend’s Wedding” and “The Fugitive.”

His latest score is for “The Hunstman: Winter’s War,” which opens April 22, following his work on the blockbuster that spawned it, “Snow White and the Huntsman” (2012). He’s also scored the entire “The Hunger Games” franchise, and last year’s “Concussion.”

“He is truly one of the most revered film composers in the world because of his masterful chameleon-like skills,” said Doreen Ringer-Ross, »

- Steve Chagollan

Permalink | Report a problem


Composer James Newton Howard to Be Honored for Career Achievement by Bmi

12 April 2016 3:47 PM, PDT | Variety - TV News | See recent Variety - TV News news »

Performing rights organization Broadcast Music Inc. is presenting its career achievement laurel, the Bmi Icon Award, to composer James Newton Howard at its 2016 Film & Television Awards, to be held May 11 at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills.

The remarkably prolific film and TV maestro, with almost 150 scoring credits to his name dating back to 1985, has been nominated for a total of eight Oscars in the original song and music categories, which include his work for “The Prince of Tides,” “My Best Friend’s Wedding” and “The Fugitive.”

His latest score is for “The Hunstman: Winter’s War,” which opens April 22, following his work on the blockbuster that spawned it, “Snow White and the Huntsman” (2012). He’s also scored the entire “The Hunger Games” franchise, and last year’s “Concussion.”

“He is truly one of the most revered film composers in the world because of his masterful chameleon-like skills,” said Doreen Ringer-Ross, »

- Steve Chagollan

Permalink | Report a problem


Pat Conroy Dies: ‘Prince Of Tides’ Author Was 70

4 March 2016 10:01 PM, PST | Deadline | See recent Deadline news »

Updated With Barbra Streisand Quote Barbra Streisand, who directed and starred in The Prince of Tides, has released the following statement: “First, I fell in love with Pat Conroy's book, The Prince of Tides, and then I fell in love with him. He was generous and kind, humble and loving…such a joy to work with. I was so honored that he entrusted his beautiful book to me. Pat's natural language was poetry…he wrote sentences that are like an incantation. He observed every… »

Permalink | Report a problem


Pat Conroy, Author of ‘The Prince of Tides,’ ‘The Great Santini,’ Dies at 70

4 March 2016 9:48 PM, PST | Variety - Film News | See recent Variety - Film News news »

Pat Conroy, the South Carolina author of bestsellers including “The Prince of Tides,” “The Great Santini” and “The Lords of Discipline,” died Friday in Beaufort, S.C. He was 70 and had been battling pancreatic cancer.

Conroy was known for his family novels and memoirs that were often based on his life and featured a lush, florid writing style.

Conroy’s wife, novelist Cassandra Conroy, said in a statement, “The water is wide and he has now passed over.”

The Prince of Tides” was adapted as a 1986 film starring Nick Nolte and Barbra Streisand. “The Great Santini,” which was made into a film starring Robert Duvall, was drawn from Conroy’s experiences as the oldest of seven children of an abusive Marine Corps colonel.

The 1980 adaptation of “The Lords of Discipline” was also inspired by his life, as a cadet at the Citadel military academy.

His other books included “My Losing Season, »

- Pat Saperstein

Permalink | Report a problem


Pat Conroy, Author of ‘The Prince of Tides,’ Dies at 70

4 March 2016 8:42 PM, PST | The Wrap | See recent The Wrap news »

Pat Conroy, the South Carolina-based novelist whose works included best-sellers “The Prince of Tides” and “The Great Santini,” died Friday at his home in Beaufort, S.C., according to the Beaufort Gazette. He was 70 and had been battling pancreatic cancer. Conroy shared an Oscar nomination with Becky Johnston for the screenplay for director Barbra Streisand‘s 1991 screen adaptation of his 1986 best-seller “The Prince of Tides.” The film, starring Nick Nolte as a troubled man who falls for his suicidal sister’s psychiatrist (Streisand), received seven total Academy Award nominations, including for Best Picture. Conroy’s rich and often autobiographical novels were frequently adapted for. »

- Thom Geier

Permalink | Report a problem


The Prince of Tides Author Pat Conroy Dead at 70

4 March 2016 5:00 PM, PST | PEOPLE.com | See recent PEOPLE.com news »

Pat Conroy has died at the age of 70, Todd Doughty, vice president and executive director of publicity at Doubleday confirmed to The New York Times. The author, best known for The Prince of Tides, lost his battle with pancreatic cancer on Friday in Beaufort, South Carolina. "The water is wide and he has now passed over," wife Cassandra said in a statement to Variety. Conroy announced his diagnosis in February with a Facebook post writing, "I have been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. With the help of the wonderful people at M.D. Anderson [Cancer Center], I intend to fight it hard. I »

- Karen Mizoguchi

Permalink | Report a problem


Oscar predictions panic: To change or not?

26 February 2016 12:55 PM, PST | Gold Derby | See recent Gold Derby news »

Here is my definition of "bittersweet": I was in the audience at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in 1992 when Kathy Bates, the Best Actress Oscar winner the year before for “Misery,” opened the envelope for Best Actor and revealed that Anthony Hopkins had won for “Silence of the Lambs.” “Yes!” I muttered to myself as I rose with the rest of the tux-and-begowned crowd to give Hopkins the longest and loudest ovation of the night. He deserved to win for his brilliant depiction of Hannibal Lector and I wanted him to win. Sweet. -Break- Subscribe to Gold Derby Breaking News Alerts & Experts’ Latest Oscar Predictions Unfortunately, for me and readers of New York’s Newsday who had taken my advice while filling out their office Oscar pool ballots, I didn’t pick him to win. I had taken the advice of a usually reliable Hollywood source who told me that »

Permalink | Report a problem


Prince of Tides Author Pat Conroy Reveals He Has Pancreatic Cancer

15 February 2016 2:00 PM, PST | PEOPLE.com | See recent PEOPLE.com news »

Author Pat Conroy has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, his publicist confirmed on Monday. The 70-year-old writer, best known for The Prince of Tides took to Facebook to announce his diagnosis and tell supporters he is being treated at a hospital in Houston. "I have been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer," Conroy said in the post. "With the help of the wonderful people at M.D. Anderson [Cancer Center], I intend to fight it hard. I am grateful to all my beloved readers, my friends and my family for their prayers. I owe you a novel and intend to deliver it." His publisher, »

- Blake Bakkila, @bcbakkila

Permalink | Report a problem


Prince of Tides Author Pat Conroy Reveals He Has Pancreatic Cancer

15 February 2016 2:00 PM, PST | PEOPLE.com | See recent PEOPLE.com news »

Author Pat Conroy has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, his publicist confirmed on Monday. The 70-year-old writer, best known for The Prince of Tides took to Facebook to announce his diagnosis and tell supporters he is being treated at a hospital in Houston. "I have been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer," Conroy said in the post. "With the help of the wonderful people at M.D. Anderson [Cancer Center], I intend to fight it hard. I am grateful to all my beloved readers, my friends and my family for their prayers. I owe you a novel and intend to deliver it." His publisher, »

- Blake Bakkila, @bcbakkila

Permalink | Report a problem


'Salt' TV Series In The Works

15 February 2016 11:00 AM, PST | The Playlist | See recent The Playlist news »

Since 2010's Angelina Jolie-starring spy thriller "Salt" earned nearly $295 million worldwide, Sony predictably saw franchise potential as such. Kurt Winner, who penned the first film, wrote a draft for "Salt 2" which was apparently turned down by Jolie, and at the end of 2012, “The Prince of Tides” and “Seven Years in Tibet” scribe Becky Johnston was tapped to write another version. But it seems Sony has finally realized no one wants a "Salt" sequel, and are exploring an option that makes a bit more sense in terms of brand extension. Read More: Angelina Jolie Pitt's Commendable, Arty And Retro "By The Sea" Co-Starring Brad Pitt   Screen Daily reports that a "Salt" TV series is in the works. “We want to bring it to Europe in a completely different way,” said Diego Suarez, Sony's Vice President Of International Television Production. There is no word yet on the talent that will be involved, »

- Kevin Jagernauth

Permalink | Report a problem


'Salt' TV Series In The Works

15 February 2016 11:00 AM, PST | Indiewire Television | See recent Indiewire Television news »

Since 2010's Angelina Jolie-starring spy thriller "Salt" earned nearly $295 million worldwide, Sony predictably saw franchise potential as such. Kurt Winner, who penned the first film, wrote a draft for "Salt 2" which was apparently turned down by Jolie, and at the end of 2012, “The Prince of Tides” and “Seven Years in Tibet” scribe Becky Johnston was tapped to write another version. But it seems Sony has finally realized no one wants a "Salt" sequel, and are exploring an option that makes a bit more sense in terms of brand extension. Read More: Angelina Jolie Pitt's Commendable, Arty And Retro "By The Sea" Co-Starring Brad Pitt   Screen Daily reports that a "Salt" TV series is in the works. “We want to bring it to Europe in a completely different way,” said Diego Suarez, Sony's Vice President Of International Television Production. There is no word yet on the talent that will be involved, »

- Kevin Jagernauth

Permalink | Report a problem


2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2007 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002

11 items from 2016


IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.

See our NewsDesk partners