IMDb > Oscar (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 10 of 12: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Hilarious

Author: jody3232 from Buhl, ID
27 April 2002

Oscar is simply one of the funniest movies I have seen in years. The cast was superbly chosen, and the laughs came at a rapid pace. The plot was full of a thousand twists, and although many were predictable, they still evoked uproarious laughter. If you are looking for some bellylaughs, then this movie is for you. You'll put the video away and still be laughing.

Completely underrated

Author: Mister Hollywood from Canada
27 March 2002

I rented this movie when it first came out on video years ago, and for one reason or another I never got through the entire thing. I heard about how bad it was over the years, so I never gave seeing it again much of a thought. But, it was on TV recently, and I figured I'd give it a chance. Let's just say, I'm not sorry I did.

I don't understand why everyone said this movie was so terrible. It had a great cast, it was pretty funny (I thought the recurring underwear gag was pretty good), and it was nothing more than light-hearted fun. Yes, the story was completely ridiculous, and to think all this stuff could happen over 90 minutes is insane. The thing about a comedy is you'll either laugh or you won't. It's about the most subjective genre of movies, and I guess you'd find things funnier if you were already in a good mood when you started watching it.

So, Stallone and John Landis fans, especially, should give this a chance. Rent it, or catch if they show it on TV some time. Anyone who doesn't fall into one or both of those groups might still enjoy it for what it is.

Rating: 6.5/10

A classic!

Author: jennydowd from Georgia by way of NJ
3 March 2002

*VERY* funny movie with great performances from all the actors. Stallone, Palminteri and Tomei give great comedic performances and Tim Curry is hysterical as Dr. Thornton Poole. Well cast, and full of memorable, quotable lines.

A classic!

Author: jennydowd from Georgia by way of NJ
3 March 2002

Hilarious!!!

Author: CrazyC24-1 from Cantonment, Florida USA
28 November 2001

Sly Stallone gets a bad rap among movie critics in Hollywood they dont like him as an actor. WHY??? I mean he played heros like "Rocky" altho I may be one of very few who didnt think the first 'Rocky" was really all that good. But anyway I think anyone who can make you cheer in movies such as "Rocky" & "Over The Top" (my personal favorite Stallone flick)Granted he did have some awful and I do mean awful movies such as Cop Land and Get Carter (what a display of 2 collassal wastes of talent)But all in all I think Stallone is one of the era's great actors and this movie by far has to rank in the top 10 if not the top 5 comedies in the world I laughed so hard my sides split and tho I know whats coming next I still laugh every single time I see it. It just keeps getting funnier. With an all star supporting cast: the late great Don Ameche, Oscar winner Marisa Tomei, Tim Curry, Kirk Douglas, and Peter Riegert and Chazz Palmenteri this movie will go down as one of the all time classics. Oh by the way whoever nominated this movie for a Razzie obviously was watching a different movie.

Dumb but very funny

Author: eddy_currents from Canada
24 October 2001

I don't know why this was rated so low, I would give it at least a 7. I saw it when it came out and thought it was very funny, and I just saw it again on HBO and still think it is funny. The plot is complicated but well paced and easy to follow (and yeah the ending is a little predictable). The acting is great, including Stallone who suits the role well. There are many people who dislike a movie because they don't like the actor. For them I say, the movie is funny in spite of Stallone.

can be watched over and over and over... again

Author: tinasgalaxy from lebanon
26 July 2001

Ever seen Stallone in a suit? The first time I watched this movie, I laughed my head off. With a perfect cast, it never gets boring, there's always something happening... The actors look made for that film, they fit in perfectly. The theme is so cute, with the cartoon guy that sings it. A MUST SEE.

who says SLY cant be fun?

Author: jank123
21 July 2001

I am actually not a that big fan of sly movies but i liked this one, since it has the taste of an european movie. It did not look like a hollywood movie at the beginning. I think it has just something to do with the casting and the story. This movie is one of the best comedy movies i have seen. Its lots of funnier than Police Acadamy. That kind of movies mostly scare and make uncomfortable at the beginning but OSCAR makes you laugh from the beginning to the end. The jokes are very funny and INTELLIGENT. The movie start with a slow tempo, like about 1 joke every minute but late in the movie the bombardment of jokes start. It makes you laugh simply the sh*t out of you. I have never liked another comedy like this one. Please watch this one. You MUST see it.

A great Stallone comedy

Author: lesdoanj from Dallas, Texas
26 February 2001

Again, I don't know why this movie was rated so low. We all know that Stallone is not a comedian, but this role seems perfect for him to play. If one of his trademark brute/destroy everything characters was forced to go strait, how else do you think he would go about it? Come on, Stallone and elocution lessons? Cut the man some slack! I think this movie is a wonderful and very funny comedy with lots of silly characters, beautiful sets (Provolone's mansion is exquisite) and a great story. I especially enjoyed Tim Curry's Dr. Poole character.

Fantastic

Author: Daniel Wells (BleauxMe) from Austin, Texas
14 February 2001

A lot of people knock this movie, but I think it is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. I think Stallone gives an amazing performance, especially considering the departure from his usual genre. Marissa Tomei is excellent as well. It is furiously fast paced, and non-stop laughs. Fantastic script, and well acted; a must see.

Page 10 of 12: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]