IMDb > Oscar (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Oscar

Oscar More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

An absolutely great comedy, one of the best there is

Author: Scarface30 from Moscow, Russia
8 December 2009

A great comedy with wonderfully simple yet extremely funny plot, remarkable characters and absolutely amazing cast of actors, both main and supporting. This movie has clearly shown, to me at least, what a good actor Sly is. Thumbs up! I keep this movie in my collection of all-time favorites since its release almost 20 years ago, alongside such jewels as Dr. Strangelove and Fargo. I wish there were more movies like this - full of memorable one-liners that will always make you smile afterwards:

- She seems to have such nicely rounded diphthongs! - That's what got her into this jam!

Sorry, boss...

High art it ain't....

Author: policy134 from Denmark
25 January 2009

Sylvester Stallone in a comedy after a disastrous attempt in Rhinestone almost a decade earlier. He does an admirable job and it is probably the only time where he's actually intelligible. Although, he and most of the other co-stars are overacting their hearts out (that is part of farce), except a surprisingly subdued, Tim Curry, the master of overacting.

The plot belongs in a Katharine Hepburn/Cary Grant comedy and it doesn't really really reach high logic. Whatever happened to that bag of money, for instance and who cares? Stallone and company tries hard to actually make the words they are spouting make sense.

The film is a bit too long, though and the slamming doors and characters walking in and out does get a little boring at the end. The most thankless part is Chazz Palminteri's as Connie, one of the henchman. He has one priceless bit, though, reminiscent of a ZAZ routine that is pretty old but still makes me laugh. Most of the time he is made to look dumb and a runner between he and Stallone (Yes, boss... Don't call me boss... and so on) is only funny the first time.

The whole thing is flooded with familiar faces and they are too numerous to mention and that is part of nearly all of John Landis' movies but they don't really add anything. Ornella Muti, a relatively unknown looks very uncomfortable in comedy surroundings and she is kind of shrill and annoying.

Still, the movie is not a total bomb that it was made out to be back then and it is a vast improvement from Stallone's embarrassing turn with Estelle Getty a year later.

Stop Panning It! It's actually pretty funny

Author: spencer10 from United States
14 November 2007

Why does everyone think Sylvester Stallone is terrible at comedy? I never saw "Rhinestone" as that is considered one of the worst movies ever made and while I thought "Stop! or my mom will shoot" was illogical and hokey at times it was mostly entertaining. But "Oscar" out of all his attempts at comedy is Sylvester Stallone's best attempt at comedy and it remains a mystery to me why this did so terrible critically and financially. Maybe critics and audiences had trouble accepting Stallone as a gangster doing something different from "Rocky" or "Rambo". I mean yes like "Stop! or my mom will shoot" this one is very illogical and confusing at times. But if you put your full mind into the movie and think about it you will realize it is very funny. While Stallone is terrific I think some of the best scenes in this film belong to Tim Curry. Some of his scenes made me want to laugh out loud! I cannot really summarize the film because many parts are confusing but I can certainly say that critics and audiences need to stop putting it down and give it another try because they don't know what their missing. Sure it's no "Godfather" or "Goodfellas" but it is a very funny little gangster comedy that has the intelligence one misses in comedies. All in all "Oscar" is no masterpiece but it is very funny and enjoyable and that's enough for me to recommend it. It also proves that Sylvester Stallone is not a terrible comedy movie star.

Gangster flick goes straight....for laughs

Author: gcd70 from Melbourne, Australia
30 July 2007

"Oscar" is quite a funny movie from director John Landis about an early thirties gangster called Snaps. One day, Snaps (played by action hero Sylvester Stallone)gets up one morning and decides he will clean up his act and go straight.

All the cast are very enjoyable, including Kirk Douglas, Don Ameche and Tim Curry, while Sly Stallone does well in the role of Snaps. Handled well all round, the film never takes itself seriously, while being consistently humorous. "Oscar" is a good night's entertainment thanks to Michael Barrie and Jim Mulholland's simple adaptation of Claude Magnier's original play.

Sunday, July 28, 1991 - Knox District Centre

Absolutely fantastic

Author: oto_bohil from Komárno, Slovakia
18 July 2006

What I like about this movie the most is, what very few people recognize. The art in a gangster comedy movie. You must have noticed that this movie is actually a theater role play captured on film. The scenes and scenery are made as if you were sitting in a theater and were watching a role play. Sly plays just great. Doesn't really have to act to much, but its great to see an action hero making jokes than blowing up buildings. And putting Chazz Palminteri,one of the biggest gangsters of Hollywood in the role of Connie the most stupid of them all was an amazing idea. Too bad I have only two hands because I can give only 2 thumbs up, otherwise it would be definitely more:-)

The best film of Stallone and no mistake

Author: mista from Hungary
6 September 2005

this is the best Stallone-film! i don't know why this movie is rated so low! or ... i know why!

i've heard this movie was failure in the USA. it's not surprising. the average viewers' taste is horrible in the USA, so the viewers are lowbrow on average.

well, it's not an action movie, not a killer and bloody movie, but this movie is very funny and the actors and actress are brilliant! the typical American viewers didn't feel this movie, i think. this is like a play - you know, in the theatre - and this is like a typical European comedy. i think the viewers in the USA doesn't like the typical European films, and the European comedies. so, the average American viewers doesn't like this film.

i feel sorrow for the American viewers, because the feeling of this movie is fantastic, professional, and very funny! really funny!

Jewls, Money and Women's Underwear?!?

Author: Tetki-Chan from Tokyo
24 July 2005

I watched this film every night for about a month and found if just as funny each time I watched it as the day I first saw it! this film is about a Gangster named "Snaps" Provolone whose father dies and his fathers last wish is that he would "give up his shameful life" of being a gangster and do some thing honorable with his life. the best part of this film (it happens to be a running gag) is when there is a mix-up with a suitcase full of 50Gs in cash and a identical suitcase filled with 50Gs in Jewls and another identical suitcase full of woman's undergarments. "Snaps" Provolone is trying to get both the suitcases full of 50Gs in his possession but oddly enough keeps getting the suitcase of underwear!! its a merry-go-round of comedy, mix-ups and fun! it is a film for 12 and ups, I don't think younger kids would quite understand what is happening in this film but then again thats just my opinion.

Very under-rated

Author: kylemcd77 from Auckland, New Zealand
30 December 2003

I don't know why this movie is rated so low. This is a good old fashioned farce that is done very well and most the actors, especially Chaz Palmenteri (I don't know how to spell that name).

People must have knocked it because they can't accept Stallone in anything other than action films. This is one of the funniest films I have ever seen.

Enjoyable Farce

Author: knsevy from KCMO
1 December 2003

***SPOILERS, IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY HEARD***

Sylvester Stallone turns in a surprisingly good performance in this stage play brought to the big screen, and the supporting cast delivers sufficient chemistry to maintain the viewer's attention in what could easily have become one more dull farce from the Hollywood meat grinder. The film comes across as very playlike, with pacing that admirably mimics a live production.

All the primary characters are memorable and well-defined, which also serves to enhance the live-on-stage appeal of the movie. I have never seen this work performed live, but it's easy to imagine how it could be staged, even how the sets would be constructed.

The movie is loaded with memorable dialogue and wordplay - in fact, if any criticism could be made against it, it would be the excess of verbage - and even Stallone manages to slip in a few nice touches, here and there (the Oliver Hardy-like look of suffering into the camera, for instance). The two Fennucci brothers' interplay is as skilled and as natural as Tom and Dick Smothers, who really WERE brothers. Sometimes various characters' accents will slip - was that REALLY supposed to be an Irish brogue spewing from the maid? - but by and large, the individual performances overshadow occasional goofs. The 'Irish' maid and Sofia Provolone are the two weakest characters, not really having enough lines (or enough CONVINCING lines) to show any depth of character.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, though I hate farces, as a rule. I think a lot of the reviewers who claimed to despise it are just having a knee-jerk reaction to Stallone's presence, and have overlooked the quality of the story itself.

Entertaining!

Author: PolySciCo from TEXAS
13 November 2003

I really enjoyed this film.

I was impressed with the casting and the actors' portrayals. For those of you who didn't like it....WHY? It is meant to be slapstick comedy and that's what it is. If you're expecting something else, then you'll be greatly disappointed. It if smack full of one-liners and inuendo. I believe it does an excellent job.

I thought Sly did a great job as Snaps. M Tomei stole the show as Snaps daughter Lisa - awesome performance. Great group of actors who all carried their character to form. If you walk away from this movie disappointed, then I can only surmise you wanted more out of it. I think the movie is wonderful for its genre.

There were a few plot issues that weren't addressed or solved and just kind of ignored as necessary. Even with that the film works.

Few comedies can I sit through repeatedly; this is one of them.

Page 5 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]