IMDb > Oscar (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A nearly perfect comedy.

Author: Hypnerotomachia from USA
3 August 2003

Excellent timing, a fantastic cast, great soundtrack... actually, everything about this movie is terrific. It centers around mixed (and missed) messages, so a lot of it depends upon timing and straight delivery. These are accomplished in a major way.

The main center of the comedy, the valise, gets treated in a way that gets a bit old, but overall, I can't get tired of this movie. Stallone does such fantastic comedy and has such an exquisite sense of timing and delivery, it's a wonder anybody lets him do action movies. He missed his calling. Look for Ornella Muti (Princess Aura from "Flash Gordon") as the superb, dignified, and fiery-tempered Sophia, as Snaps' wife and source of fear for the entire cast, and Tim Curry as Dr. Poole, in a genius turn as a mild-mannered professor discovering love for the first time. It's a fairly obscure movie, but if you get the chance to see it, do treat yourself.

Should be mandatory viewing for those who rip on Sly

Author: Verbal-17 from Spokane, WA
7 June 2001

This got some of the best reviews of any recent Stallone film, and after seeing it, I understand why. It's an absolutely hilarious, wonderful movie that shows one of Sly's best performances, and a great supporting cast. It was a long time before I got around to seeing it, but man, am I glad I did. I haven't laughed this much in a long time. And to those of you who jump on the negative hype bandwagon and make fun of Stallone like a bunch of lemmings, check this one out.

Great

Author: drummer-3 from Denmark
10 March 1999

I just love to see Sylvester playing anything else but macho studs, and in this movie he does and doesn't if you catch my drift. I think his portrayal of a godfather going straight is fantastic and the whole movie had me in hysterics more than once, fun stuff.!!

A comedic gangster film?? Yes, & it works!

Author: Dianna Trent from nj
6 June 2000

If you love Sly, if you love comedy, if you love gangster films, then this one's for you! It's got all that & more! Marisa Tomei playing Sly's daughter?? It works! The beautiful Italian import, Ornella Muti playing Sly's wife? It works! Chazz Palminteri playing a hood yet once again? That always works! Whatcha got here is 1 Mob Boss (the ever-elegant Sly) tryin' to go straight 'cuz he promised his dying father (Kirk Douglas's cameo), cops who just won't buy it, bankers who can't stand it, a mix-up with "a little black bag", a search for a husband for Sly's daughter, an annoying accountant who skims $$$ off the top to marry Sly's "other daughter, the one that's not Lisa", & this all happens in ONE MORNING!! Ya gotta feel sorry for the guy! How can he cope? He does it - just as Sly as he can be, too!

Buy this one if you can still find it. It's a comedy of 'great ethnic proportions'!

Perky up-beat comedy that'll make you laugh.

Author: jack_abberline from London
19 October 2002

Personally, I love this film.

You look past the Syvester Stallone attempt at comedy, you're left with a neat fast paced funny film that'll make you laugh. How many things can go wrong and backfire between 8am and 12noon? Well, there's 3 possible husbands for a pregnant daughter who isn't pregnant. One of whom wants to marry the father's other daughter who isn't his daughter............don't even get me started on the 3 bags of money/jewels/knickers.

I could watch this film over and over again. In fact - I have.

It's better than you think it will be!

Author: karina-3 from Austin TX
14 April 1999

Oh I know, Sylvester Stallone in an urbane period farce? Impossible, you say? No sir! He's actually very funny - as is the script (adapted from the play) and all the supporting cast! I totally love this movie and I show it to everyone I meet, despite their initial reactions - and they all enjoy it! Tim Curry is priceless as always and it's also Marisa Tomei's first movie. Vincent Spano, Peter Reigert, Yvonne de Carlo, Don Ameche, Kirk Douglas, Chazz Palminteri - more! It's so awesome!

Who'd have thought Sly could be so hilarious?

Author: nathan000000 from California
27 November 2003

I am very selective about the movies I buy for my personal library, and this one passed. The whole movie takes place between 8:30 a.m. and 12:00 noon, and the twists and complications never stop. It's packed with memorable one-liners and hilarious images: former hit-men being butlers and making fruit salad, a linguist (Tim Curry) whose unsolicited grammar corrections keep getting misunderstood, the melodramatic daughter (Marisa Tomei) of a gangster named after a cheese.

Few movies carry this many successive gut laughs. It's quite an ab workout. It's also comparitively clean—five or six swear words and some allusions to premarital pregnancy and activities. I highly recommend it.

One of the best comedies I have ever seen

Author: Ludmil Johnev from Sofia, Bulgaria
24 November 2004

This is maybe one of the best comedies I have seen. The whole story is nothing much, but the actors made it it unforgettable. The thing that makes this movie so good is the cast, the actors are really perfectly chosen and they play it really well. There isn't a one single actor who doesn't play good in this movie. Well if you expect Stalone to shoot out crates of ammo, then you will be disappointed. This is the movie that made me realize that Sylvester Stalone can act not just shoot. With two words this is a movie to make you laugh. Tip: if you have a heart condition you probably shouldn't watch this movie without some medical personal attending.(your heart may burst from laughing)

Excellent Movie! ~!

Author: Roxburyfunny1
8 February 2004

This movie was a great one you can laugh really hard and not care who's around. If the words "Yes Boss" don't get you laughing then i don't know what will. Tim Curry is notorious for comedy or just being a bad guy in alot of movie but he did an excellent job in this movie with slyvester Stallone. This movie has alot of laughter great characters and a really good unique story line that you don't see very often. Yes indeed the story get's a little confusing but you can't help but love the era of the movie and the way everyone's does so well with their characters. Recommended for a movie night or just for a few good laughs! ~!

Classic, underrated film... rent it! (minor spoilers)

Author: Spiner-2 from Bountiful, UT
19 June 2001

I'll get the bad stuff out of the way right now: This movie is somewhat predictable and Sly mugs for the camera too much.

That's it. That's all the bad stuff I could think of to say about this movie. The rest is all good.

People tend to react with disbelief when they hear about a comedy starring Sylvester Stallone. While I'm not sure about the range of Sly's comedic abilities, "Oscar" proves that he CAN do comedy, and given the right part, can do it very well.

Sly plays Angelo "Snaps" Provolone, a mob boss who promises to his dying father to give up the crime racket for good. The movie focuses on the morning in which "Snaps" is preparing to join the ranks of a bank administration at noon. During that morning, his daughter gets engaged... three times. She also reveals that she's pregnant... except she's not. "Snaps" repeatedly loses and regains $100,000 dollars... and a bag of women's underwear. And then there's his "other" daughter who's not (he thinks) really his daughter. Behind him all the way are his flunkies, reduced from robbing banks to scooping melon balls, and incapable of breaking the habit of calling him "boss" if their lives depended on it.

Kudos for expert scene theft go to Peter Riegert as the shifty Aldo, Marisa Tomei as the spoiled brat Lisa Provolone, Martin Ferrero and Harry Shearer as the Finucci brothers and Tim Curry as the unctuous Dr. Thorntone Poole.

The critics panned this movie. Rent it anyway and find out just how wrong they were.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]