IMDb > Nothing But Trouble (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Nothing But Trouble

Nothing But Trouble More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I think this movie traumatized more kids than "Jaws"

Author: rooprect from New York City
26 January 2012

If your idea of a dark comedy is something like "Beetlejuice" or "Deathtrap" or "Heathers", then watch out. This one makes them look like Peewee's Playhouse.

You know how certain horror movies cross over into comedy? Like when Freddy Krueger says "Welcome to prime time b!tch!!" and slams a girl's head into the TV? Well, this is the opposite: comedy crossing over into horror. It gets pretty weird, and if you're not expecting it, it can be downright upsetting.

I think that's what makes so many people hate this movie. With an all-star comedic cast like it has, it promises to be a laugh riot like the DVD cover says. I was expecting something like "Ghostbusters" meets "Fletch" meets "Summer Rental". Instead it's more like "Planes, Trains & Automobiles" meets "Deliverance". In other words the comedy is very low-key, not quite enough to offset the disturbing story.

Dan Akroyd, who plays a sadistic murdering judge, is just plain frightening. John Candy, who plays the sympathetic policeman, gives the story an air of tragedy. Chevy Chase is his usual wisecracking self, but it can't compete with the horror & violence of the plot (being trapped in a hicktown house while people are getting brutally murdered all around you). You really have to be ready for it, otherwise you might end up traumatized. The "Bonestripper" scene will give lifelong nightmares to any kid under the age of 12, as well as impressionable adults.

But now that you've been warned, perhaps you'll be able to take it in stride. I'm not sure if writer Dan Akroyd intended this to be so nightmarish, but it sure is. Definitely a one-of-a-kind. NOT for young kids!!

Give this movie a try before you pass it by...

Author: flhero311 from United States
15 October 2005

I, unlike a lot of others, found this movie to be extremely funny- both in a smart way and a sort of gross out way. Chevy Chase is really funny with his sort of smart-ass, dry wit, probably his best performance after Christmas Vacation. From the movies I've seen Demi Moore in, this ranks as her best and shows that she can do comedy. Dan Akroyd and John Candy each pull double duty in this one and do it well- I couldn't even tell the second character Dan was playing until the credits rolled. The sets are unreal- from the junkyard (complete with piles and PILES of random junk and the Baby Huey-esquire Lil' Debil and Bobo) to the house of the honorable judge, it's hard to believe they actually put this together. Don't take everybody's word, check it out and you won't be sorry...

Okay, so no one was expecting "Schindler's List"

Author: Daniel Emery Taylor (alicespawn@yahoo.com)
23 July 1999

This isn't a four star classic. This isn't a motion picture epic to be adored for ages to come. This is not the measuring stick by which all comedies should be measured. However, this movie has gotten a bad reputation, undeservedly so. So, what is this movie? It's a harmless, mindless romp through an amusing storyline played out by the witty rapport of the core characters. The sight gags and slapstick, while cliche' and childish, are sure to bring a slight giggle. What's more fun than a judge who's idea for a great execution is dumping the accused in a rollercoaster called the "Bonestripper?" (Complete with Damn Yankees theme music, no less.) The performance of the Digital Underground brings a shimmer of surrealism to the whole ordeal. No, this isn't the best movie in the world, but it's far from the worst.

A surreal comedy.

Author: ait from Jacksonville, Florida
15 May 2001

This film is bound to become a cult legend, and shows Dan Aykroyd at his finest. I highly recommend it to anyone who finds humor in the absurd. The film, though bizarre, reflects society in an uncanny way. Somehow, the characters portrayed in the movie seem strangely familiar, and this can even be unsettling (where have I seen them before?). A lot of work went into this film, and it should, IMHO, be taken very seriously as comic art of the highest form. I gave it this film a 9 out of 10!

Unconventional Comedy That Gets A Bad Wrap

Author: burnmps from United States
30 June 2007

I look up all of the movies I watch on IMDb, and I'm surprised that this one is so disliked. I think the main reason is that with a cast of such comedy legends as Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd and John Candy, people were expecting a more conventional comedy. Most of their audience was probably expecting something along of the lines of "The Couch Trip", "Delirious" or "Fletch". I think people like me, who appreciate campy horror films like "2001 Maniacs", "The Butcher" and any of the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" series, are more likely to find some humor in this film.

Thanks to the remarkably bland title, I had no idea that this was a comedy with a horror twist when I found it on a cable channel. The completely pointless start of the film, which involves a party and some sort of talk of some sort of business deal, also doesn't hint at what the film is really about. It isn't until the protagonists get arrested that all of the fun starts.

What follows is something in between comedy and horror. It skews more towards horror, with tons of gross-out scenes thanks to Dan Aykroyd's various grotesque characters. There are tons of bones, but not a lot of blood. Unlike conventional horror movies, where body-counts are generally in the double digits, only one group of ne'er-do-wells end up slaughtered over the course of the film. Even the two annoying ancillary characters who are along for the ride, who would be dead meat in any real horror film, end up getting a reprieve and a happy ending.

By far the strangest part, and my personal favorite, is the musical performance in the middle of the film. When I saw a limo pulling up in a scene halfway through the film, I thought, okay here come some more victims. I was surprised to say the least that the occupants of the vehicle turned out to be the entire Digital Underground crew, including the instantly recognizable Shock G (aka Humpty Hump)! Instead of being murdered, they all perform a song (unfortunately not their one major hit, the far superior "Humpty Hump"). You can even see the late-great Tupac Shakur as one of the members of Digital Underground, before he started his solo career. I would recommend this film to anyone just for this surreal moment, but if you have no idea who Tupac or Digital Underground are then you probably won't enjoy it as much.

After a few fake endings and the actual goofy cartoon ending, the movie is over. All in all, it doesn't have that many laughs, and it's definitely not scary, but it is rarely boring. The Digital Underground cameo is excellent and the cast plays their roles well. This is certainly not the best movie I've seen, but I would rank it better than any bad comedy and most bad horror movies. In fact, I'd say this film is just a few buckets of blood and a few crazy gross-out scenes away from a cult classic.

This is...

Author: toronto_ghostbuster from Canada
24 April 2008

A movie you can watch when you want lots of interesting characters, scenery, and complete nonsense everywhere you look. This movie was never intended to be an intellectual masterpiece...it was made to make people laugh, and to entertain. On many levels its very similar to movies like Scary movie, and the burbs...which have decent ratings. I just don't understand the average person these days, and what they seem to like about anything. Movies like traffic get 10's, and movies like this get 3.5's...traffic was a total bore fest, and this movie kept me entertained. Before everyone starts thinking "this guy is out to lunch" Keep in mind that one of my favorite movies of all time is Brazil..a movie which got amazing reviews, and in my opinion is equally as unsettling.

A Wacky Horror Comedy From Start To Finish

Author: comedymovies123 from New Zealand
4 January 2012

Hi there, Monstermaster13 here with a review. This review is for Nothing But Trouble - and underrated gem of a movie that came out into the early 90's.

Apparently loosely based on a true story, the movie stars Dan Akyroyd (it's also directed by him as well), Chevy Chase, Demi Moore and the always great and (it pains me to say this) late John Candy.

Chevy Chase and Demi Moore play a couple who end up in the town of Valkanvania after having a run in with the police, and the end up at the judge's house where they meet the crazy J.P Valkanheiser and Bobo and Lil Debul as well as the police cop's sister Eldona (also played by John Candy).

The judges house is filled with all sorts of kooky mechanical devices, and all sorts of hijinks insue in this.

A lot of critics tend to bash this one on the grounds of it's plot, but it's supposed to be weird because it's a black comedy and it doesn't have to make sense for you to enjoy it.

I heavily recommend watching this movie.

Forget Trouble. Nothing is Good.

Author: thesar-2 from United States
13 April 2014

In 1991 – actually, starting back in 1988, I made it my mission to watch as many movies as I could. I loved going to the cinema and literally seeing everything. And yet, in early 1991, I decidedly avoided Nothing But Trouble.

Damn, I must've been a smart kid.

This movie was so richly bad, so incredibly awful, so repulsive and so spiteful of the human race, it should never had been made. Hell, it didn't know at any point if it wanted to be a comedy, horror or both and never settled in on any genre.

Basically, Chevy Chase's Chris agrees to take both an obnoxious and absolutely appalling couple of nitwits and Demi Moore's Diane to Atlantic City from New York but get sidetracked when they run a stop sign. Apparently, this is the end all to all sin in this small town on the way to the Eastern gambling destination.

Once they get caught and led to the local judge, the movie title kicks in.

In honesty and all that is good, I watched this train wreck of a disgusting and horrifyingly bad movie because the hilarious How Did This Get Made podcast covered it and I needed to see it before I listened to their show.

After seeing this mess, this repulsive pile of sh|t, get progressively worse – think Garbage Pail Kids: The Movie Part II, you truly wonder if any one, at any time, thought any of this was a good idea.

But, if you must see this pointless, aimless and poorly written romp, at very least listen to the How Did This Get Made podcast following. At least you'd finally get a good laugh out of this time wasted.

* * * Final thoughts: I remember the only two positives I saw during this: Demi looked amazing! and I was impressed with the 1991 technology. I mean, who knew they had GPS in cars in 1991?

Now, think about it. Are those two positives worth wasting another 94 minutes of your life over?

One of the worst movies I have ever seen

Author: Anthony Iessi
16 December 2013

Take a moment to realize that a long time ago, comedy legends Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase made a movie so unspeakably bad that its almost impossible to watch. A movie so grotesque in nature that it just sits there on screen like turd burning in the hot sun. This movie is called, Nothing But Trouble, and its buried in cinematic obscurity, but for all the right reasons. Whats even more insulting is the fact that Dan Aykroyd actually wrote and directed this picture, as if this was the movie he was dreaming to get made. He must have been on some strong dope. Here, he plays a deteriorating old man with a penis shaped nose who stands as the justice of the peace of a rural northeastern town. Among his family is a duo of mentally challenged mutant toad- humanoids and John Candy in drag. Not to mention, the whole area surrounding them is a toxic waste dump complete with dead corpses. Essentially, you are looking at a parody of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, minus everything that could have been potentially funny about a Texas Chainsaw parody. Its pure bunk, plain and simple. For those of you who are fans of this picture, God bless you, because I couldn't find a damn thing likable about this putrid mess. Yes, I know its supposed to be surreal and gross. If they wanted to really do that they should have hired David Lynch.

This movie supposed to be Stupid

Author: cheeseboy80
7 August 2000

This film is a comedy, what do you expect?? It supposed to be stupid and silly, that's the point. I can't believe anyone take this picture so seriously. This is a funny movie, maybe not the funniest film ever. It still a pretty funny movie. Relax and turn off your brain, you'll enjoy this movie.

I give this film 6.5 out of 10