IMDb > My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A story about a father & a son.

Author: lauriesdell from Brunswick, Maine.
21 December 2002

HD has led a life of rodeo-ing and honky tonkin. An injury while bull riding forces him to return home to recupperate. When he gets there he finds that his sister and her idiot husband have put HD's dad into a nursing home and are trying to take the farm. HD's old girlfriend from childhood also comes back into his life and soon HD has to return to bull riding to win the $100,000.00 prize, fend off his sister, keep his dad from the old folks home, and win the love of his life.

This has become one of my most favorite films. I love Scott Glenn and Ben Johnson and this story always brings a tear to my eyes. A must see. Its a bit corny and low budget but damn worth your time.

Good old boy is forced by circumstances to become a good man

Author: ladamson1918 from United States
29 December 2006

I saw the movie when it came out, and I think perhaps it plays much better if you live in a rodeo state (I'm in Texas) so the audience really understands what's going on. They used real rodeo performers, too, like Leon Coffee, and that's the sort of detail the average movie-goer wouldn't notice. As to the movie in terms of plot, it's fairly predictable--hometown boy makes good and saves the day--but the subplots are what make this a good, underrated movie, I think. You have a hero who's almost an antihero till he's forced to grow up and take on a normal man's responsibilities; i.e., caring for his aging father. You have a young widow with a recalcitrant son, basically a good boy who needs a strong masculine role model. You have the dutiful daughter who stayed home and took on the care of her father, even though she's married and has a life of her own. The acting overall is very good. Scott Glenn is a charming scamp, and he has a flair for light comedy. Cate Capshaw--well, she could be better. Ben Johnson is excellent. Mickey Rooney does a star turn in a cameo role. And look for the old TV western character actors from the 1960s. It's a decent movie with very good moments throughout, very honest moments, too. Maybe it didn't play well in New York or Los Angeles, but in Nacogdoches, Texas, the theatre was SRO.

All hat and no cattle

Author: lastliberal from United States
21 April 2007

I cannot count the number of movies that I have seen with Scott Glen. But not one of them, with maybe the exception of the role of Alan Shepard in The Right Stuff has stuck with me. I saw him the other night in what I though was an outstanding performance, so I thought I would take another look. I was not disappointed.

Playing a role that many of us have been in, a man with a difficult relationship with his father, Glen (H.D.) really showed the right stuff in this film. he left his father, his high school sweetheart, and all responsibility to do his thing. Now, he is back trying to see if he truly is all hat and no cattle as his girlfriend Jolie (Kate Capshaw) accuses him of being. Complicating the problem is a sister (Tess Harper) that was left with all the responsibility when he left. H.D. has to get it all together to save his father and his relationship with Jolie.

Scott Glen has the right stuff and I will be revisiting a lot of films that I've seen.

Nostalgic Look At Cowboys of Yesteryear in A World Today ***

Author: edwagreen from United States
27 September 2010

While my heroes have always been teachers, I found this film to be interesting.

Supposedly, father Ben Johnson is supposed to be failing, but he is anything but. Son Scott Glenn comes home from a rodeo injured and finds that his father is in a nursing home. Sophia of The Golden Girls would have found another Shady Pines.

Glenn takes his father out and the two go back to their house. Of course, there is sister played by Tess Harper and her greedy husband, Gary Busey, looking to commit Johnson so that they can sell off the land.

We could have really had a good story here if it became one of a competency issue. Instead, we are subjected to the old rodeo theme of winning that prize money. Naturally, Johnson is suddenly well enough to encourage his son to victory.

Am still trying to figure out why Mickey Rooney appeared briefly as Johnson's resident friend in the nursing home.

horse droppings

Author: Michael Neumann from United States
13 December 2010

There isn't much to say about this rodeo 'Rocky' rip-off. In a nutshell: hard-drinkin', slow-talking', two-fisted bronco buster Scott Glenn has to ride the meanest bull on Earth to win the money needed to keep his ailing father out of a nursing home, and so forth and so on. The formula is copied right down to the inspirational training montage and sappy, uplifting music score, and there's even a little cowboy Zen philosophy from old wrangler Ben Johnson. Besides being sloppy and derivative, the film is also too influenced by the MTV aesthetic, hardly the appropriate style for a country-western ballad: the camera is too close to the actors, the scissors too handy in the editing room, and the volume of the soundtrack is cranked far too loud. Better talent has never been more wasted: Johnson and Gary Busey provide a measure of stability, but Tess Harper gives what has to be one of the most irritating performances of the year. Keep a sharp lookout for Mickey Rooney, playing Johnson's nursing home buddy…don't blink or you'll miss him.

Uneven direction or bad editing? No flow to the story line.

Author: tigerrick (tigerrick@earthlink.net) from United States
9 April 2007

What should have been a good story with a capable cast was actually hard to watch for me. Each scene seemed to be performed without any regard to the ones previous or following, and HD actually calls Jolie "Jolly" at one point (and no one caught such a basic mistake, which could have been easily corrected in post production audio work).

The ending was predictable, and disappointing in its execution. Once the final scene was underway, the acting ended, and the audience was never treated to anything like a finale that would've tied up the loose ends.

Unfortunate, given the talent available (and the cameo by Mickey Rooney).

Sheesh.

One of the worst ever

Author: t-bound from United States
15 March 2008

I am always looking for movies set in Texas/Oklahoma, etc. in modern times (post-cowboy days). I expected this one to be little corny, but I was not prepared for just how bad it was. Even though it had some decent actors, they all did a terrible job or were given a terrible script and direction in this flick. Ben Johnson is one of my all-time favorite actors. Compare this to "The Last Picture Show" and he comes off as a crude redneck with emotions that I'd expect in a kids movie. Characters changed moods and attitudes from one sentence to the next. The arguments were totally irrational and disconnected. Unless you're desperate to watch bull riding and wranglers, don't waste your time with this pitiful movie.