IMDb > Love Potion No. 9 (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Love Potion No. 9

Love Potion No. 9 More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Only one great scene but generally unfunny

Author: SnoopyStyle
19 July 2014

Biochemist dork Paul Matthews (Tate Donovan) is horrible with women. He goes to a gypsy and is given love potion #8. He and fellow dorky lab rat Diane Farrow (Sandra Bullock) discover the potion works through their voice on the opposite sex for 4 hours. They try experimenting with the potion. It works better than expected. However the potion gets loose and the gypsy gives Paul love potion #9.

Both leads are a couple of believable dorks. Paul getting rejected at the bar is great. Bullock with bed hair looks way too hot to be dorky. Then the movie gets boring and unfunny. Quite frankly, Paul's return to the bar is not as compelling as it should be. I question if the writing from Dale Launer is actually funny. It's a disappointment since he had written some pretty funny movies. Although he's not a good director and maybe that's the problem here. Bullock is crazy adorable and Donovan is likable enough. However it doesn't have the heat or the comedy for a good rom-com.

Love In A Bottle

Author: Richard Sargent (riky.sarg@cwcom.net) from England
2 January 1999

Need Success with dating then this film is just an idea on one of the ways of getting one, with a love potion. A fair comedy with some mishaps along the way, Sandra does her usual superb acting, the best bit is when Sandra gets into a wedding dress, Fhourr!!!

Bullock's innate grace and charm has to carry this a mighty long way...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
1 May 2010

Dale Launer wrote and directed this early comedic showcase for Sandra Bullock, its title taken from the hit song of years past. Strained romantic fantasy has two science nerds made attractive and popular by a gypsy woman's love spell. Unknown at the time, Bullock asserts herself with aplomb despite supremely silly and threadbare surroundings. Picture begins well, mostly due to Sandra's dryly charming sass, but Tate Donovan emerges as little more than a moving hole in the screen and the film's second-half is all downhill. Barely released by Twentieth Century-Fox, who must have known this stiff was dead on arrival. * from ****

A Silly Tale Used Countless Times Before, but HERE'S Sandra Bullock!

Author: gradyharp from United States
21 October 2006

The title of this flimsy little outing of a film from 1992 - LOVE POTION #9 - should give you an idea of where you're headed if you rent this movie: hackneyed story about two science geeks (Sandra Bullock and Tate Donovan) whose experimentation with a 'love potion' obtained from a gypsy (Anne Bancroft playing Anne Bancroft) has kick back effects which all end up in a love story of sorts.

The reason for watching this little effort is to see one of Sandra Bullock's early forays into comedy (she actually started making things like this in 1987 but this film drew enough attention to get her into 'Speed' two years later, that famous launching pad for Bullock and Keanu Reeves). Aside from Bullock and Bancroft the remainder of the cast is forgettable as is the story...but it is a lot better than many of the similar flicks on the shelves right now. Grady Harp

At least it isn't Police Academy

Author: Hanichi from Skaville, UK
18 May 1999

This is a very silly film. The most interesting thing about it is just how awful costuming and makeup can make Sandra Bullock look. The Nerds Get Even idea can be milked for a few laughs every once in a while. But this film doesn't even begin to match the humor in such classics of the genre as Revenge of the Nerds and Weird Science. BTW, thats called d**mning with faint praise.

It was a drag.

Author: csauer from United States
29 November 2005

I saw this movie years ago and remember it as being quite good. The bar scenes were very good. I bought the VHS of it and gave it another viewing. They must have changed the VHS version as there was only one bar scene. I am wrong. It is not a good movie at all. It had Sandra in it and you can't mess her up. She was super in it as always. She did her very best to save this movie but it was not to be. It really was a drag. I can,t say for sure that it was that bad because I think they changed it quite a bit leaving some really great scenes out. It just wasn't the same as I remember it. I will say it was nice to see Anne Bancroft once again. It boils down to this. I think the first time I saw it it was okay. The version I bought was not okay. Don't get me wrong, the acting was good. The movie was bad.

Sandra Bullock is the only reason to see this movie.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
15 December 2004

"Love Potion No. 9" is the fantasy of every young boy, and I suspect a few young girls, although I have to guess on that one. I have never been a young girl, and I don't plan to start now! But take the premise, Paul (Tate Donovan) is more than a bit geeky and his dating life could be described on a very small piece of note paper. So his friends do what any good friends would do -- send him to Madame Ruth (Anne Bancroft in a nice small role) who has supernatural connections. The result? A love potion that makes it impossible for the opposite sex to resist him.

However, for me more interesting was the rest of the movie, after Sandra Bullock's character, Diane Farrow, also gains access to the love potion. She creates a great character here, for a so-so little movie, as a real, unappealing geeky girl. A quick spray and the guys can't resist her. She and Paul do what any geeky scientists would do, they treat the whole thing as a big experiment, and "evaluating the results" has some interesting and funny consequences. While this is by no means a very good movie, it is interesting to me mainly as an earlier Bullock movie, before she gained more widespread attention in 'Speed' with Keanu Reeves.

Watchable early Bullock vehicle, but rather dry and unfunny...

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
12 February 2004

Decent enough romantic "comedy" about a nerd who acquires a dose of so-called "love potion" from a mysterious gypsy fortune teller. This suddenly makes the opposite sex take notice for once. Sound routine enough for ya?

Bullock is fine in this watchable early vehicle, but it's rather dry and unfunny. Based on the iconic song, "Love Potion No. 9." Otherwise, there is no connection.

Sandra Bullock Is the Only Real Attraction Here

Author: tfrizzell from United States
27 November 2000

Funny, but somewhat dumb film about two lab-rats (Sandra Bullock and Tate Donovan) who get a love-potion from an old gypsy (Anne Bancroft) and go from dweebs to hot-lovers. Now they are having sex with anyone and everyone that they are attracted to. However they both turn jealous, realizing that they love each other. The film is funny and sappy, but nothing exceptional ever comes out of the final product. Bullock would soon become a super-star, but her film persona does not save this one. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Tries too hard to be funny and ends up being boring

Author: millennia-2 from In shame (2005 update)
11 April 2000

'Love Potion #9' is a somewhat boring comedy that yearns to be goofy, but by the end, when it does quickly show flashes of being good, you care so little for the characters and the far-fetched situation they are in, that you just don't care.

As I sort of hinted at earlier, the plot isn't very realistic or enjoyable. It bills itself as a comedy, but isn't, as the definition of comedy is usually to be funny (which it nearly achieves at the climax, but not quite).

So, after absolutely no deliberation, I grant this film a failing grade, it's neither funny or entertaining. Other than a few good lines and well thought out performances from Donovan and Bullock, this movie serves as nothing but a bad career move for all involved

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]