IMDb > Love Potion No. 9 (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Love Potion No. 9

Love Potion No. 9 More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

From ugly duckling to swan.

Author: burt kritt (elansix) from los angeles
6 April 2001

I had seen "Love Potion Number 9" many years ago and after Ms. Bullock's recent movie, "Miss Congeniality", I realized in both movies she goes from ugly duckling to swan. For me, it works in both movies. In fact "Love Potion Number 9 was the first movie I had seen her in. I am a big fan of both movies. Please note that they are comedies, not artsy message movies. Both movies are essentially silly, with some physical humor. Most importantly, they made me laugh, and I certainly enjoy watching the very gorgeous Ms. Bullock.

Tell Your Troubles To The Gypsy

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
28 February 2011

I suppose that any of us living in urban areas have many times wanted to visit one of those basement apartments inhabited by alleged gypsies who have all kinds of cures for whatever ails you. If it's an affair of the heart there are test model love potions running all the way from one to Love Potion No. 9.

Poor nerdy Tate Donovan can't seem to get a date nowhere, no how is persuaded by friends to visit one of those gypsies played with real bite by Anne Bancroft. She gives him Love Potion No. 8 and the stuff really does work. And Donovan being a biochemist actually figures out just how. In fact he and colleague Sandra Bullock try and boy do they like it and each other.

But they have to experiment and Bullock hits the jackpot with the Prince of Wales played by Dylan Baker over here on a goodwill visit across the pond. He gets within the prescribed distance of Bullock and she could be the next Queen of Great Britain. As for a girl that Donovan's been putting his normally clumsy moves on, Mary Mara, she winds up in the end with more boyfriends than she could possibly have time for.

It all comes to a head when a guy Bullock has been off and on seeing for years all of a sudden becomes madly infatuated with her again and they're about to be wed. Dale Midkiff of course has an agenda of his own and if Donovan's to stop him he'll need out of Anne Bancroft's medicine cabinet, the latest model, Love Potion No. 9.

Donovan and Bullock are amusing and the rest of the cast gives them good support. I think you'll get a laugh from the doings at 34th and Vine and a little bottle of Love Potion No. 9.

Good for what ails you.

Cute RomCom, Nice But Overdone Premise

Author: Elswet from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
23 March 2007

This is not an original premise, nor is it an original movie, but it IS sweet, funny, and entertaining. I enjoyed this flick, though it is only a flick, and it does have some cute elements.

While this IS just another RomCom, it aptly entertains anyone whose mindset is to enjoy and/or seek out this type of movie. If you're already in the mood for a PG-13 romantic comedy about a shy biochemist and a shy biologist who dabble in love through alchemy via a Gypsy's love potion, then this is definitely the movie for you.

On the whole, it rates a 4.9/10.

As a RomCom, it rates a 6.7/10.

That's an average of 5.8 from...

the Fiend :.

It's no "Great Comic Masterpiece" but has its moments

Author: Tom H. Richardson from Houston, TX area
8 January 2001

"I learned a lot about myself that day. I learned that power corrupts, and that absolute power corrupts absolutely..." -- line from LP#9

Some of the movie plot is by-the-numbers. But the best moments come when the screenwriter asks, "What would you do when you knew that, no matter what you said and no matter what you did, you couldn't miss?"

The answer is "go wild," in the case of Tate Donovan's character. Donovan gets the funniest scenes in the movie.

In the case of Sandra Bullock's character, there's a moment where she's talking to a man in his cubicle and he looks so confused as he falls in love with her. (Could have something to do with the fact that he's listening to The Village People's "YMCA" during the scene.)

Mary Mara's character puts her own spin on what to do with a love potion, and her actions complicate the plot and create some hilarious moments.

cute show about 2 sweet kids falling in love

Author: helpless_dancer from Broken Bow, Oklahoma
25 March 1999

I love Sandra Bullock; she is so cute in this kind of film.

She plays an unlovely girl who is unable to make a connection with the opposite sex except as a bed partner. She works with a guy who is exactly like her - a loser. They discover a potion which makes them attractive to others. The show romps through a series of men and women coming on to them after they use the potion. Unfortunately, some rotten folks get their hands on the stuff and use it for their own nasty selves. But, the heroes work hard to stop these nefarious slugs from hatching their evil schemes. Funny and fun movie - 4 stars.

I would like to commend Sandra Bullock for her amazing performance in Love Potion No. 9

Author: Jennifer Rogers (jen_rogers@charter.net) from Washington State, U.S.A.
6 January 2004

Being a Sandra Bullock fan already when I watched this movie, I was, of course, hoping to see a great performance by her. She was absolutely brilliant in this movie. Her portrayal of her character was so sincere and honest, just as with all of her performances. I was pleasantly surprised, however, to have been completely bewitched by this movie's cunning use of magic, romance, and intrigue. I was spellbound by the innocence and transformation of the two leads, the characters Diane and Paul, played by Sandra Bullock and Tate Donovan. Their love story completely took me back in time to when I fell in love with my husband of 7 years, and touched my soul. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who is a true romantic at heart.

Bullock is very likable in this love formula

Author: kibler@adelphia.net (jere816@verizon.net) from PA
8 November 2003

Love Potion No. 9 (1992) Tate Donovan, Sandra Bullock, Mary Mara, Dale Midkiff, Hillary Bailey Smith, Anne Bancroft, D: Dale Launer. Petty romantic-comedy fantasy about a biochemist with no luck when it comes to women and a nerdy biologist who both spark sex appeal from a gypsy's love potion that later brings them together. Spectacled, buck-toothed Bullock is very likable in this silly, protracted love formula. Inspired by the song by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. Launer produced and wrote. Running Time: 92 minutes and rated PG-13 for some language and sexual content. ** ½

Perfect romantic comedy

Author: lilskittle
12 January 2003

this movie is about a woman and man who find a love postion that makes people of the opposite sex fall in love with them. I would hate to really admit it but i loved this movie, its funny and really cute Sandra Bullock and Tate Donovan are great in this film, and you dont see any really cute movies like this anymore i would give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Are Dylan and Jordan Baker related?

Author: Goon-2 from WA
11 February 1999

It seems obvious that I cared very little about this movie, if I am reduced to asking such a question. I can ask why they decided to make it in the first place? After all, it's kind of a wacky idea to make a movie in 1991(or something)and model it after a song from the 1960's. I can also ask why the characters were supposed to be "ugly" at first, and so were represented with glasses and drab hairstyles, but then they turned "attractvie" after they had love potion? Isn't that a little shallow to determine that people only get attracted to each other because of good looks? What about personality? Well, I could ask why there two lead characters were so dull and didn't have much personality, particularly Tate Donovan. I could also ask why Dylan Baker, the only one really worth watching in this picture, had about a five second part? And then I could ask why he was cast as a British prince? And what about Jordan Baker? Who in the world was "Joanne?" I could ask why the writers did not give her more screen time so that I could find out? Well, look at all of these questions! I guess even the most sub-par of movies can provoke a little bit of wonder in viewers.

Excellent View of Sandra in a Wedding Dress !!!

Author: Richard Sargent (riky.sarg@cwcom.net) from Peterborough, England
23 December 1998

A movie about a potion that when taken makes the opposite sex want you, A good comedy for most, Sandra of course is just superb, and that wedding dress well rent the film and see!.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]