IMDb > Love Potion No. 9 (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Fun Little Film

Author: Matador07 from United States
1 March 2002

This movie is not great cinema, but as long as you don't go into it looking for earth-shattering insight and emotional depth, its actually an amusing little time waster. The movie's goofy but original premise conceals its relatively cliched plots, and all concerned appear to be having fun. Bottomline, if you avoid taking either the movie or yourself too seriously, LP #9 is good for a few laughs.

"Nerds in love." One of my favorite "guilty pleasures"

Author: xavrush89 from Illinois, U.S.A.
2 January 2004

Guilty because I know if I admit how much I like it, I might lose some cred as a film buff. But it's a great fairy tale, Anne Bancroft's brief scenes are funny, and Tate Donovan is a man I can get behind! The scene where the nasty superficial gal crushes his ego at the bar must really hit home with a lot of men. And say what you want about Bullock, but here she shows why she became a huge star with her megawatt smile! But my favorite is Mary Mara, a great character actor given a chance to play a broadly funny, well, broad. If you ask me, Pretty Woman is overrated and this movie is underrated!

silly but fun fantasy

Author: blanche-2 from United States
26 June 2005

Sandra Bullock has the type of looks that can go either way, i.e., plain Jane or knockout. She does this very successfully in Love Potion No. 9, a cute film based on the song of the same name. The film sports a cameo by Anne Bancroft.

Bullock and Tate Donovan play scientists who fool around with a love potion (number 8) which Bancroft gives Donovan to try. He doesn't try it; his cat does. After being overrun by horny cats, Donovan and Bullock move on to Bullock's chimps and then themselves.

This all eventually leads to a return visit to Bancroft, this time for love potion number 9 and a very madcap finale.

Entertaining. Bullock is always a delight.

Cute, funny, worth seeing.

Author: Draykov from Texas, USA
11 July 2002

It is sort of a guilty pleasure, but I have to admit, I love this movie. Caveat: a lot of that has to do with the fact that I have a special place in my heart for Sandra Bullock. It seems some people have gone from loving her to trying to not love her. Me, I never got off the "loving her" bus.

With that said, this is a cute movie. Some of the humor is a bit crude, but not so much as to make the film seem moronic. It has a nice message and even though it is a bit dated and silly, I still get that warm, fuzzy, happy feeling when I watch it. There is extensive use of music from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker within the film to amusing effect.

Good for viewers seeking yet another romantic comedy

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
20 August 2003

Paul (Tate Donovan) is a single, somewhat nerdy, biochemist who strikes out with women at every opportunity. Diane (Sandra Bullock) is a geeky fellow scientist who is not a hit with the guys, either. Hoping to change his luck, Paul goes to a gypsy and acquires a potion that will make him attractive to women. It works quite well. That's when Paul discovers he's in love with Diane. Diane, however, is also making use of the potion and is suddenly surrounded by suitors. Will Paul win the affections of Diane?

This is just a fair entry into the genre of romantic comedies. The two leads are likable but the plot is plodding in parts and detracts from the overall success of the film. Also, the movie has some funny moments but overall does not register high on the laugh-o-meter. The ending is predictable and somewhat satisfying yet just does not elicit great feelings of joy. Fans of Sandra Bullock will probably want to see this early example of her work. Others who are crazy about romantic comedies are likely to want to spend an evening with this film, too.

Started well, but loses steam in second half

Author: Tito-8 from North Bay, Ontario
19 August 1999

I almost convinced myself that this was a good movie, but after giving it some thought, this is average at best. Things start out well, as the two leads take full advantage of the potion, but then the film bogs down and becomes too formulaic. Much of the second half of the film is hopelessly predictable, and is routine in the extreme. Things remain conventional right to the end, when the obvious conclusion takes place. The leads are both likable, and the there are several funny moments, but the best comedic bits are in the first half. The thoroughly unoriginal second half left a bitter taste in my mouth, and that made it too standard to recommend.

Love potion # 8

Author: jotix100 from New York
9 October 2006

Imagine if there ever was a strong potion that would make plain, unattractive people into glamorous ones. That's what happens to Paul Matthews, a nerdy scientist, who doesn't have much luck in the love department. When he decides to visit Madame Ruth, she tells him he is a lost case, but with the help of one of her magical preparations, he will be a winner. Well, Paul, a man of science, knows better, and never takes the seer's advice. His cat, on the other hand, discovers the magical powers when it licks the preparation that Paul threw in the garbage can.

Diane Farrows, another scientist, sticks out like a sore thumb when we see her with some friends at a restaurant. She is a shy woman who has a car problem. She is in danger of losing her insurance as the traffic cop keeps writing her up for speeding. When Paul tells her about his discovery, she decides to experiment with one of the monkeys in her lab. Little prepares her for the results. Diane takes matters into her own hands and suddenly she is a popular girl who even attracts Prince Geoffrey, a hunk, who falls for the new woman.

Dale Launer, a screen writer with a lot of hits, directs this mildly funny comedy we never had seen before, but which turns out to be a harmless way to spend an evening. Mr. Launer knows what he wants and he goes after it. He was lucky in casting the two talented principals in roles that with other actors might not have been as funny.

Sandra Bullock appeared in this film before she made a splash in "Speed" and "While You Were Sleeping". She plays the nerdy scientist with great panache. She goes a total transformation and we see her beauty that was hidden inside of what looked a homely girl. Tate Donovan also does good work as the nerdy Paul. Anne Bancroft is seen as the gypsy woman who can see the future. The rest of the cast do excellent work for Mr. Launer.

Watch the film the next time it is shown on cable and let it work its magic on you. Mr. Launer knows how to write comedy, as he clearly proves it with this movie, once again.

Very cute

Author: choeli from Washington
12 February 2001

This was a very cute movie. I love the plot of how computer "nerds" can attract even the "uppercrust". It also shows that you should never judge a book by it's cover and you never know who will be your soulmate. Being an avid Adrian Paul fan also made the film that much more enjoyable.

Mindless fun

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
31 December 2008

I did not really have an aching desire to see this movie, but I enjoy Sandra Bullock, and mainly wanted to see it because she starred and thought it would be an enjoyable experience in at least one way or another. Love Potion #9 is not a masterpiece, nor was it terrible. It is just a fun little film meant to entertain and give the audience a good time, and it did just that, but here again, it did only that, so I am not positive it would be as good on a rewatch.

I thought, even though sometimes the movie got annoying and uninteresting, it did a good job at keeping the audience's attention, and it nevertheless entertained with the story plot and performances. I love Sandra Bullock and seeing her in this film made me smile, because she is one of my favorite actresses, and even though there wasn't anything to highly praise, it was very cute and edgy, and overall I liked the movie for what it was. Don't sit down expecting the worst or best. Just clear your head of all expectations and you are bound to enjoy something about it, because it is enjoyable indeed, in my honest opinion.

Tell Your Troubles To The Gypsy

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
28 February 2011

I suppose that any of us living in urban areas have many times wanted to visit one of those basement apartments inhabited by alleged gypsies who have all kinds of cures for whatever ails you. If it's an affair of the heart there are test model love potions running all the way from one to Love Potion No. 9.

Poor nerdy Tate Donovan can't seem to get a date nowhere, no how is persuaded by friends to visit one of those gypsies played with real bite by Anne Bancroft. She gives him Love Potion No. 8 and the stuff really does work. And Donovan being a biochemist actually figures out just how. In fact he and colleague Sandra Bullock try and boy do they like it and each other.

But they have to experiment and Bullock hits the jackpot with the Prince of Wales played by Dylan Baker over here on a goodwill visit across the pond. He gets within the prescribed distance of Bullock and she could be the next Queen of Great Britain. As for a girl that Donovan's been putting his normally clumsy moves on, Mary Mara, she winds up in the end with more boyfriends than she could possibly have time for.

It all comes to a head when a guy Bullock has been off and on seeing for years all of a sudden becomes madly infatuated with her again and they're about to be wed. Dale Midkiff of course has an agenda of his own and if Donovan's to stop him he'll need out of Anne Bancroft's medicine cabinet, the latest model, Love Potion No. 9.

Donovan and Bullock are amusing and the rest of the cast gives them good support. I think you'll get a laugh from the doings at 34th and Vine and a little bottle of Love Potion No. 9.

Good for what ails you.