IMDb > Late for Dinner (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

I really love this one

Author: Mario Bergeron from Cap-de-la-Madeleine, Canada
21 April 2001

The idea is not new. The idea is dangereous. I think Mel Gibson made a film similar... While I was watching this, I was thinking how stupid it should have been with Julia Roberts or Harrison Ford in it. But because it was made with a low budget, because the actors are not stars (both guys are very good), because it's away from Hollywood, it goes on very well, and had some sort of sincere credibility. The finale is a very warm touching love scene. Independant low budget films are the only ones representative of the US cinema. This is a good example of just simple quality film without millions or stars, or Oscars, or anything silly of< that sort.

Nice Story And A Real 'Sleeper' Of A Film

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
13 April 2006

This was kind of a 'sleeper' in that I have never heard much about this film - it's not well-known, but it's very good: almost like an old-fashioned classic era story in that is guaranteed to bring a tear or two to your eyes at the end. I say "almost" because, unlike classic films, there is some profanity in here and a few unnecessary political cheap shots typical of Hollywood.

Otherwise, it's a nice drama (not a "comedy" as it's often labeled) featuring two men (brothers-in-law), one older one looking after his younger, mentally-slow relative. Brian Wimmer plays "Willie," the caring older in-law and Peter Berg is the younger "Frank." There is some action in the beginning, the film then turns a bit sci-fi as the brothers are accidentally frozen in time, and then the last third is a romance. Along the way, there is comedy from time to time.

In other words, you get a little bit of everything in here, but in the end it is a drama that entertains throughout the hour-and-a-half. I'm still waiting for this to be issued on DVD.

An all-time favorite

Author: Bob Stout from Houston, Texas, USA
15 May 2004

As I noted in my review for "Quest For Love", there are very few films in the SF/Romance genre. It is, after all, a tough combination to do right. Fortunately, "Late For Dinner" does it right.

The plot has some similarities to Mel Gibson's "Forever Young". Both are the stories of someone being the guinea pig for a cryonics experiment, only to be thawed out many years in the future when their mate has aged without them. In this case, two brothers are frozen after an accident sends them on the run, accused of murder. One is Willy, a family man devoted to his wife and daughter. The other is Frank, mildly retarded and slowly dying of a degenerative incurable disease. Frank has become part of Willy's extended family, with everyone accepting his oddities and looking out for him. The issues we care about are the love story between Willy and his wife and whether there will be a cure for Frank's disease by the time he's thawed out.

What raises this above the Gibson film is that you believe from the beginning that the romantic leads (Willy and his wife) are really in love. The relationship of the two brothers is caring without being idealized - they fight and argue, but you believe in how much they really care for one another. In "Forever Young", the characters display none of the depth of feeling that you associate with real love. Gibson's character lives in the world of Hollywood script writers where all relationships are self-gratifying and transitory, while this film is firmly rooted in the world we've hopefully all lived in at some point in our lives and would like to believe we could live in forever.

The performances are excellent - touching without being maudlin. The three principles - Brian Wimmer, Peter Berg, and Marcia Gay Harden - are all totally believable. The secondary roles don't fail us, and especially so that of Colleen Flynn as Willy's grown daughter.

All SF requires that you suspend disbelief to some degree, but that requirement is minimal here. The characters and their actions are all totally believable. What's more, they're good people - not perfect, but good. You really want things to work out for them.

A diamond in the rough

Author: becca18 (beckyboo79@hotmail.com) from Victoria, Australia
22 June 2002

When Willy and his brother in law Frank (Peter Berg) who is intellectually disabled run into some trouble after a misunderstanding with a land developer (Peter Gallager), which leaves Willy injured and the land developer dead, they leave there home town of Santa Fe and travel to California, where they are helped by a Dr who asks Frank if he could have a really good nights sleep and wake up with a new kidney (Frank has health problems besides his disability), would he be willing to try it, Frank wholeheartedly agrees accept Willy and Frank are cryongenically frozen and woken up 29 years later after the tanks they are in become damaged from a cable reel falling through the roof of the warehouse they are in, They then embark on a journey home to Santa Fe to get there lives back, however what they once had may not be so easy to get back, as they discover. This movie although not a smash hit or a box office hit, was in my mind quite good, Peter Gallager as the slimey land developer delivers a steller performance and Peter Berg as Frank delivers one of his best performances to date, though I am biased in that regard as I absolutely love this actor and have been following his career religiously for a while now. I'd recomend this film to all audiences, young and old.

Sentimental favorite...

Author: Marshall W. Carter (guirunkaryyk) from Irmo, SC
20 June 2004

Sure, this movie may be a bit on the predictable side, and the whole cryo-stasis thing might be a bit hard to swallow, but once you're able to get to the suspension of belief, what's left is a sweet, sentimental movie that's perfect for you and your special someone to cuddle up to as you watch.

Brian Wimmer and Peter Berg turn in terrific performances as brothers-in-law on-the-run from the authorities because of a crime they didn't commit. Wimmer comes across as being just as honest, caring and sincere as he needs to, which is considerable, since his character and performance depend on it. Berg, playing a somewhat-dimwitted man with a heart of gold is perfect, as he's often been in his minor, but memorable performances. The rest of the cast is more than competent, but the success of this movie depends on its two leads, and they come through with flying colors. You can't help but pull for these guys. One of the first thing a film-maker wants to do is get the audience interested and caring about the main characters, and trust me, you will be...

Funny and sweet, this is the perfect movie for a quiet night alone with your honey. If you consider yourself at all a romantic (love conquers all...and the like), you'll love this movie.

A new Approach

Author: Richard (rod526) from Columbia, Maryland, USA
4 April 2003

I just recently saw this film and enjoyed it thoroughly. It was not what I had expected. So many of the "freeze 'em" films take a comic or campy approach. But this film tries to deal with the actual problems that could arise if a person were able to disappear and then reappear some 30 years later. A nice treatment of the question.

A hidden treasure

Author: shoosh114 from Massachusetts
24 June 2001

I saw this movie when it debuted at the Boston Movie Festival and enjoyed it. It has become one of my guilty pleasure movies and I think that it is a hidden treasure. It was a sweet and charming film. I liked the relationship between the two main characters Willie Husband played by Brian Wimmer and Frank Lovegren played by Peter Berg.

it's more than two guys getting frozen for nearly 30 years...

Author: oyvay from Nelson New Zealand
19 November 2000

I just saw 'Late for Dinner' again on TV.

I forgot how much I liked it.

It's both simple and silly but it's also sweet and endearing.

I guess, for me it seems like an Australian film that was made in America. No big bang special effects. Great characters and a laconic but genuine feel about the story, the characters, and the overall impression.

Both guys are cute and believable in this really unbelievable yarn.

I cried when Willy met up with his 'old' wife Joy. They both did it so well.

No great intellectual challenges here...just a most enjoyable movie.

An enjoyable Sunday matinee

Author: Martin Murphy from Alberta, Canada
11 July 1999

Sure, this isn't a film that rocked the movie theater, but it is a nice little picture; an enjoyable Sunday TV matinee. The premise is a little hokey, "time travelers frozen". But this is not Science Fiction here, it is only the vehicle for the story. The theme is Love: and what love it should aspire to be, something that prevails over time and the physical.

The performances, such as Peter Berg's lovable uncle, are endearing as they create this strong, believable family. In short, I cared about these people and I wanted to see them make this great love work.

To really enjoy this movie you need to suspend your disbelief a little. If you look beyond the premise and focus on the characters, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

If you lost your dad when you were a child...

Author: Pauul-2 (pdietrich2@uswest.net) from Seattle, Washington
13 May 2000

...and had youthful dreams of his return, this movie will be cathartic for you. It will fill your heart. The first half of the film is rough, coarse, silly and contrived. The second half is a very well-tuned, sensitive portrayal of the dreamt-for return of your loved one. I'm 60 years old. This film has the greatest ending of any movie I have EVER seen.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]