IMDb > I Still Dream of Jeannie (1991) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
I Still Dream of Jeannie

I Still Dream of Jeannie (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Second sequel doesn't live up to the first

Author: S Bradford from New York, NY
17 September 2001

Jeannie seems to have lost her newfound independence from the last TV sequel, as well as her reason for being with the absence of her master, who's off on an extended space mission (Larry Hagman is absent again). With the exception of the existence of Jeannie and Tony's son, none of the continuity developed for the earlier "15 Years Later" movie is followed.

The plot is contrived (Jeannie must find a temporary master while Tony is away), and there's little nostalgia value, as Jeannie and Roger are the only two characters from the original series present. If you want to see how things turned out for Jeannie and Tony after the original series ended, skip this one and seek out the earlier reunion, instead.

I don't Dream of Jeannie

Author: sunznc from Los Angeles
30 March 2008

I have always loved "I Dream of Jeannie". Larry Hagman and Barbara Eden did such a good job with what they had to work with. It's almost like a cartoon with human actors. Slightly over the top, frenetic energy and very colorful.

It's entertaining. And who doesn't love that fluffy, bright pink smoke coming from Jeannie's ornately painted bottle? Unfortunately, "I Still Dream of Jeannie" lacks any frenetic energy or creativity at all. We have the ornately painted bottles but where is the fluffy pink smoke? We have blurry CGI smoke.

The acting isn't bad but it isn't entertaining either. There is a dry, somber feeling to this that makes the movie feel flat. The dialogue is terrible and I felt embarrassed for some of the characters in some scenes. The funniest scenes in my opinion are when a general's cigar explodes in his face, leaving his skin black and when an elderly lady picks up Jeannie's sister on the side of a country road. That was prime Jeannie. But where were more of those scenes? Did anyone even try to come up with anything funny here? Sure didn't feel like it. All in all disappointing and boring. Just watch Jeannie on DVD instead.

I still dream of Barbara Eden

Author: Thomas E. Thorsen (thorsen1146@comcast.net) from United States
24 February 2006

Barbara Eden is probably my favorite T.V. actress of all time she did her movie time in the 50's and early 60's. But what she did in this movie is almost a crime. I mean how can a 60 year old woman look so good in a Jeannie costume. She has the body of a 30 year old in this I'm still in shock and I saw this movie six years ago. She even had me debating with myself if she had a body double through half the movie when I then realized that would've been impossible. I could keep writing about how shockingly beautiful she was but I really shouldn't be shocked she has always been gorgeous. So I'll get on with the movie. Her husband (tony) is lost in space and after a certain period of time is gone I think 30 days she's going to have to go back home if they can't find tony. So she has to go find a new master naturally her sister jeannietwo shows up and tries to mess up the situation even more. It was a watchable movie and if you were an I dream of Jeannie fan like I've been my whole life since I was 4 even at four I thought I was going to get in trouble for watching it because of her outfits in the show. Eventually I realized I wasn't going to get in trouble though. You might think I'm nuts for giving this movie a 10 but I can't change it Barbara Eden was just too good looking in this movie to give it anything lower.

It is decent.

Author: Richard Latanville from Canada
4 February 2013

First off this movie lacks cast. With 2 of 4 original cast in this final Jeannie update. Barbara Eden looking fabulous for a immortal genie. And lovable Roger reprise their roles of the classic 60s sitcom. Hayden Rorke who played Dr Bellows passed away in 1987 and Larry Hagman spending last 13 years of Dallas on vacation. This movie lacks the depth the characters made Jeannie. Having no Tony for Jeannie is just wrong, it's what make Jeannie and Tony tick.

Having said this, they try fill in the gap by updating the feel towards the 90s. There are 2 plots. Main plot: Tony is unaccounted for 3 months and Jeannie must look for him, and Jeannie 2 reminds the head of Genies that Jeannie must look for Tony or find a temporary master or send back to Babylon with the influence of Jeannie 2 to prevent this from happening. Sub-plot, her son got kidnapped by Jeannie 2 to divert her search for Tony, and the son broke free but got kidnapped again by 2 thieves. I find the movie somewhat enjoyable, but not mind blowing.

B-plot better than A-plot

Author: Gravity06 from Florida, USA
2 February 2001

I thought the B-plot (Tony Jr. is kidnapped ... and Jeannie has less than a week to find him) was better than the main (or A) plot (Jeannie has less than two weeks to find a new master ... or be sent back to Baghdad forever). The main plot could've been done away with altogether, in my opinion ... leaving only the kidnap story.

I loved the ending!! (Let's just say Jeannie kicks a** ... as only Jeannie can).