IMDb > Hook (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hook

Hook More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 38: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Loved Hook

Author: barney_reniface from Santa Clara
18 March 2012

All of you that are leaving comments are probably old farts that didn't grow up with this movie. This movie is a awesome fairy tale. It is a classic and probably my most favorite movie of all time. Very creative storyline. Its about Peter Pan forgetting his past and saving his kids. Robin Williams did a incredible job in this movie. I saw people dressed up as Rufio at every year at college parties. this movie was made 17 years ago and its considered a classic. I've never meet anyone that doesn't like it. So if you haven't seen it then go watch it! It has everyone one from the cartoon, like Wendy, peter pan, hook, the lost boys, tinker bell. And a new character Rufio!!!

Underrated Spielberg

Author: Jona1988 from Finland
12 February 2011

Many seem to hate Hook and specially most film critics, one I read stated he could not stand this film. It sure has quite a few flaws and doesn't hold up to many perhaps most of Spielberg's other movies. Even with the many problems I still feel: Hey it's not that bad!

Actually I don't think it's bad at all, sure could have been better but it's still very good entertainment. Steven Spielbergs forgotten grain of gold. I really like the idea of Peter Pan growing up and forgetting everything, very interesting take on the tale. The movie starts out great feeling mysterious and dark toned. The cast is not entirely satisfying. I agree with most that Julia Roberts is really miss cast as Tinker Bell and I think Robin Williams is not the perfect choice as Pan but he works, Dame Maggie Smith is great as always but she isn't in the film much. The villains make the greatest performances Dustin Hoffman steals the show from the hero and Bob Hoskins is brilliant as Smee. When the film gets to Neverland is when a little dubious feeling sets in. What is meant to be an fantasy island looks way to much as a big set, not convincing. The lost boys are OK even though they don't make the best impression and performance throughout the film. This Neverland tale is very different from the original Disney most know, feels like something else completely. Even if I really like the idea of the story the execution of it has many problems. For a big production the plot has a ridiculous lot things that don't make much sense. Many obvious plot holes (why is Peter sleeping in the snow at the end when the kids flew into the house?) but also some major ones (Why does he grow to like a teenager if Ting took him to Neverland when he was a baby?). Much of the dialogue is very cheesy(My Jack?) but still the overly sentimental stuff(I wish I had a dad like you) doesn't ruin much for me at least. The plot could have been carried out more successfully but deep within the story has some pretty sentimental points that work well. The action scenes are fun to watch even much of them also are pretty dumb like that the pirates attack Pan one at a time, still it's superb entertainment and the sword fights has a nicely working theatre feel to them. The film has it fun parts but I think it has more of a sad tone to most of it and specially at the end(Peter leaves Neverland forever). The story is definitively not wooden or empty rather the opposite it has heart and like stated earlier even an emotional depth. John Williams fantastic music greatly contributes, he is absolutely one of the best composers and for Hook he is just as good as usual. Some have said they liked this film when they were young but realised it was pretty weak when they grew older. Not so with me I feel just as joyed as I used to after seeing it. A feel-good film for everyone young, older and family. Is this a film that you either hate or love? Maybe some would say that but I don't and I admit it has many mistakes but still I like Hook.

Hook has many misses and could have been more successful in more than one or two ways. If one looks at Spielberg's entire filmography it's among the weaker ones but it doesn't mean that it's not any good. For me Hook is somewhat of a classic.

Peter, don't you know who you are? Some may think so but doesn't matter for me 6/10.

more than a good film for children

Author: Ayal Oren from Israel
31 May 2010

I'm sorry to say this is one of the best Spielberg movies ever. Personally I prefer his fantasy to his "true life dramas" because his flare for melodrama is more at place and the great story teller that he always is can really shine through. But I want to make some other points here. This is more than a story of bad parenting, and more than a simple retelling of Peter Pan. It's a story of what it means to grow up and how hard it is to be a grown up and still remember what it feels like to be a child. It's also a story about the realness of the imagination, as the film shows it more than once and ultimately proves when it doesn't sum it all up as a dream - this would've been a real cliché, if it did choose the easy way and called it all a dream - it didn't. It does dwell on some cliché situations but those are being told with an original twist and with a fresh attitude. No it's not perfect, at moments it does become a bit too melodramatic, but the superb acting by most of the actors involved compensates. And I simply love it

Good Film unexpected content

Author: triaxmetin from United Kingdom
24 December 2011

Good film that captures the imagination, liked this as a child and bought it recently for my kids to watch, but I was surprised when there was some content not mentioned in the parental advisory section.

... slight spoiler... After being knocked off Hook's boat Peter was underwater and several mermaids passed him air mouth to mouth, of course Peter quite enjoys this, and later on Tinkerbell (who becomes large) kisses Peter on the lips.

Most might not think this a problem but I would not have let my children watch this film had I known this was going to be in it.

Apart from these it is great family entertainment.

Could have been one of Spielberg's best.

Author: Bones Eijnar (namriggs@hotmail.com) from Trondheim, Norway
30 December 2010

HOOK (1991), Steven Spielberg's sequel-tale of J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan story opens fantastically and for the first 40+ minutes it's absolutely one of his most enjoyable films. Then, something happens - we leave the real world for Neverland and meet a great Dustin Hoffman as Captain Hook, so far so good, but already in Neverland we sense that things are falling apart. The story looses its magic, it's mystery and excitement, and although there are many famous actors around, few makes much impact apart from Hoffman, Charlie Korsmo (as Peter Pan's son) and Robin Williams, which I think does one of his best performances. The emotional aspect of the film is at times very capturing, and one can sense that Spielberg is quite personal throughout with his strong will in children and everything they symbolize and represent. I think it's sad that the film doesn't end on the high note it begins, and so we're left with only a partially good film.

Fun family entertainment

Author: TheFiendsThatPlagueThee from United States
16 November 2008

"You know you're not really Peter Pan, don't you? This is only a dream. When you wake up, you'll just be Peter Banning - a cold, selfish man who drinks too much, is obsessed with success, and runs and hides from his wife and children!" What if Peter Pan left Neverland and grew up? That is the premise behind Hook, when Captain Hook kidnaps the now adult Peter Pan's children and takes them back to Neverland. Peter must go back to Neverland to rescue them, but he doesn't remember how to be a kid which makes defeating, or even fighting, the dastardly Captain Hook difficult in that fantasy world.

There is a lot to be said about the importance of family in this movie and the relationship between a father and his children. And there are some jokes that will be understood better by those of us who are already adults. But my children also really enjoyed this movie-they found it funny and never found it boring.

It has a lot of action, colorful bright sets, wonderful performances by Dustin Hoffman (Captain Hook), Bob Hoskins (Smee) and Robin Williams (Peter Pan) and a "fun" tone that makes this enjoyable for the whole family.

I've watched this many times and like it more every time I see it.

"Hook" Is For Schnooks! (Just Kidding)

Author: Dalbert Pringle from New Zealand
10 June 2014

Well, movie fans, if this one isn't a stupid idea for a flick, then I don't know what is.

Get this - Peter Pan, the eternal boy, grows up and becomes, of all things, a slimy, Manhattan lawyer.

Yuck! What a despicable premise for a movie-plot.

HOOK could have only come out of the self-satisfied head of Steven Spielberg, one of America's most idiotic and over-rated directors, ever.

The children portrayed in this flick actually made my skin crawl. Yes, they were that insufferable and obnoxious.

According to this flick - Steven Spielberg is the self-appointed expert on rearing children. And, this joker says that mothers need only to be themselves. Yeah. That's OK. Mothers aren't required to do anything else, but, just that - Be mothers.

But, on the other hand - Fathers must transcend beyond just being mere fathers. They must do cartwheels and, literally, turn into Peter Pan (just like Robin Williams did) before they can be allowed to gain acceptance from their snooty, little brats.

It's the truth. If you pay real close attention to HOOK's unbelievably biased story it clearly defines the role of each parent in this ridiculous manner.

And, with that in mind - I think that Spielberg should take a good, firm grip of HOOK, and shove it right up his keister. Who the hell does he think he is? - Him and his failed marriage to Amy Irving.

Horribly fake sets, and Spielberg killed Peter Pan

Author: SnoopyStyle
28 September 2013

Peter Pan (Robin Williams) had returned to the real world, married to Wendy's granddaughter, and became a father too busy for his kids. One night Captain Hook (Dustin Hoffman) kidnaps his children, and Peter must return to Neverland with Tinkerbell (Julia Roberts). With the help of her and the Lost Boys, he remembers how to be Peter Pan again in order to battle Captain Hook and save his kids.

The sets are big, interior, and artificial. Spielberg uses all his powers to make a big production out of it. He pours all his years of movie-making skills into this. But the magic is all gone. Although it makes a great Vegas hotel decoration.

But Spielberg's biggest sin is making Peter Pan grow up. He's the boy who never grows up. Apparently Spielberg missed that part of the mythology. Are we watching his psychotherapy session here? Is Spielberg the real Peter Pan? Is he rediscovering his childhood? Too deep. Too deep.

The same can be said about Robin Williams. Is he trying to reclaim his childhood after getting clean from drugs? Again too deep. Too deep. The joy is just gone. Peter Pan starts off grumpy and we have to watch him find the joy that's missing. Why is joy so much work?

A disappointment, but quite an interesting one.

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
3 January 2009

My Take: A profound disappointment from Spielberg that does have its savory moments.

After a big disappointment in his below-average remake ALWAYS, Spielberg gives us yet another, this time with twice the budget. HOOK, released a year or so after ALWAYS, is Spielberg's big budget disappointment packed with some astonishing special effects, imaginative settings, colorful costumes, a big cast and a helluva budget. Unfortunately, its also bogged down by a half-baked story and potential that is never really fulfilled. Although bubbly and colorful, we're expecting more from a $70 million-worth production. Actually, with its elaborate settings and appealing charms, I actually loved HOOK as a kid. But after seeing it again one night, after all these years, HOOK hasn't aged real well. For a movie directed by one of the most reliable men at Hollywood, HOOK is quite a disappointment. Though sometimes, the imagination that went to the production design and special effects are noteworthy.

Peter Pan has grown up. Now Peter Banning (Robin Williams): married, successful, and a workaholic, Peter is no intention, or even memory at all, about his past as "The Boy who Never Grew Up". But when his kids are kidnapped by his old nemesis, the evil Capt. James Hook (Dustin Hoffman, serving up a loaf of ham), Peter has no choice but to head back to Neverland, be sprayed again by Pixie dust, courtesy of his old friend Tinkerbell (Julia Roberts, slightly uncomfortable), and reclaim his forgotten destiny. The story seemed fine on paper, and I actually like how the story is. It's how it goes that isn't very good. In addition to Spielberg's decline on overdone slapstick humor (the film does cost a lot, so why not spend it?), they also throw in a band of annoying, screaming Lost Boys who look more like they escaped from an audition from a GOONIES sequel. Other than that, Spielberg doesn't have much control on a few scenes, which are either tedious (when the film requires the characters to talk) or downright overcooked (the boys tormenting Pan with all sort of pie-on-the-face mayhem).

HOOK, however, earns points for the creativity and imagination devoted on special effects, costumes and set designs. The environments at Neverland couldn't have been more faithful to pages from a storybook. John Williams also deserves some credit for composing a dazzling score (including a sentimental song titled "When You're Alone"). But considering the potential that went into production, we could have expected something more.

Rating: **1/2 out of 5.

James Barrie would hate this film

Author: Richard Nathan (Richard-Nathan@att.net) from Burbank, California
28 March 2010

One of the main points that Barrie stresses in his "Peter Pan" is that childhood is a special time, but eventually there comes a time when everyone (except for Peter Pan) has to stop being a child and assume the responsibilities of adulthood. At the end of Barrie's play, Wendy cannot return to Neverland, even though she would like to, because Neverland is reserved for children.

This film is typical of the selfishness of many in the "Boomer" generation. They steal the specialness of childhood from their children by refusing to give it up themselves.

Barrie would have hated this abomination.