IMDb > High Strung (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
High Strung

High Strung More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

I am sorry that this film has gotten a bad rap.

Author: criggar from indy
14 February 2001

I can not believe that this film has received so many poor votes. It is just insane. Honestly, if you have ever complained about something, and you thought that your complaint was legitimate, then see this film. You will be rolling on the ground, especially if you find complanatory statements to be amusing. (Warning: This film is a great cult film, only for those who can truly find humor in the truth.) See it, and see what I mean.

It's a hit or miss movie

Author: Random439 from United States
4 June 2005

I was working at a video store when this movie came to my attention. I had seen the box any number of times and thought about checking it out because it has Jim Carrey in it, but never got around to it. Then one day a customer returned the movie while I was working and I asked how it was. "Terrible!" he said. "It's just some guy hanging out in his apartment, complaining about everything that annoys him." And that's when I decided to see it; to me, that sounded like a pretty decent film. I was pleasantly surprised. It was better than decent; it is one of my favorite films of all time. The directing is interesting, the acting is not great, and the plot is light but cute. The reason to watch this film is for Steve Odekirk ranting about all the things that annoy him, from smokers to people on gameshows, to Happy The Clam. It's good, it's funny, and it stands up extremely well to repeat viewing (I can't get bored of it). But you probably need the right personality type to appreciate it.

The one to watch when your having one of Those days

Author: vamp88 from WI
2 October 2002

Never has a movie been so funny with so little plot. There is a small amount of story here, but mostly just a guy fed up with the world and he spends the whole movie telling you why he'd rather be dead. Very, very funny stuff. I love to watch this when I'm having a bad day. It has so little plot you can jump in anywhere and watch as long as you want 5 mins or the whole thing, you'll get a few laughs and not miss a story. If you don't like the first ten minutes turn it off, it's not going to change. But if you can relate to the main character like I belive most of us can you'll have a great time laughing with and agreeing with this man who's just fed up with ...well, everything and everybody. Interesting note Jani Lane (lead singer for the band Warrant) makes his film debut, and Jim Carrey has a role as well. Get angry prepare to laugh and enjoy.

Bringing the world closer together

Author: DrGoot from Alaska
25 February 2002

I saw this with a Brazilian guy and a couple of Russian guys who rented it because it had Jim Carey in it. (Is it like a cultural thing that Russians like Jim Carey?) The Russians were disappointed. Not enough Jim Carey. (Jim Carey fans...be warned...if that's the only thing you think sounds interesting, don't see this unless you've seen everything else he's in and are desperate to just complete the collection. This is a small movie with a small part from a big star, so it may be sold with his name on it. He's an important but tiny part.) The brazilian guy and I quoted lines from that movie at each other for months. ("Hello Mr. Clam, may I take your...HAT!?")

Steve Odekerk is a genius. He has hits and misses (ever see that real-time computer animation special of his? Ugh), but if he's had a large role in the creation of anything, it will be original. High Strung, BTW, is definitely a hit.

A great way to discover your friend's personality type

Author: personmn from United States
29 November 2005

This film is very revealing. If you enjoy it, you'll know what I mean... you'll have shared it with dozens of friends- some will get it, some just wont. This is a roll-on-the-floor-laughing film for me, and for those close friends who share my sense of humor. For those who just can't find the humor in it, good night and good bye.

Also, you might try this one out as a "filter" of sorts for people you're dating... don't want to consider getting serious with someone who just doesn't share your spice for life and all things satirical...

If you haven't seen the film, I highly recommend giving it a try. If you like it, good for you. If you find it dull, unengaging or dry then I recommend spending some time taking yourself less seriously and trying again- you're sure to love it eventually!

This is one of my favorite movies of all time

Author: matrixmary-theone from United States
8 May 2006

I love movies so when asked the question what is my favorite movie, I can never narrow it down to one, but if I had to, I think this one may possibly be it. I don't think it is good for "mainstream" people, but if you are a fan of quirky movies, this is IT! My two daughters and I absolutely love this movie and probably quote it on a daily basis. I don't know why they like it, but I can tell you that one of the things I love about it is I can relate to it. I can definitely get on a rant, and then I sound a lot like Thane Furrows!! I think there's a little Thane in all of us, and those of us who aren't ashamed to admit it can find the humor in this movie. Besides, how can you not love a movie where Jim Carrey plays death? I would highly recommend that everyone see this movie at least once, and if you're like me, you'll want to see it again and again! A real off-beat comedy classic!!

Steve is a genius...

Author: madhater_da_killa (madhater_da_killa@hotmail.com) from Carbondale Illinois
14 May 2003

Steve Oedekerk is a genius when it comes to well written comedies, so when I heard about high strung I nearly freaked out. Basically in this film, one of Steve's more independent workings, Thane Furrows, portrayed by Steve, stays locked in his apartment and bitches about stuff. The movie was fairly engaging and had a lot of good one liners but some of the rants that Oedekerk launches into are a little lame. The original comedy in this movie; especially Furrow's boss and his description of his job. Jim Carrey does play a small role in the film, death in particular, but he is a pivitol part of the plot and comes into a little more prominence in the end of the film. Also another noticable appearance on this film is Kirsten Dunst playing a small girl right after a scene with Thompas Wilson AKA Biff from Back To The Future... not that we really care but... for Carrey fans I wouldn't reccomend High Strung. Though many of you would enjoy it a great deal would be looking for a Jim Carrey movie and Oedekerk's style is to slowly paced for most Carrey fans.

Under rated comedy extrodinaire

Author: twolanebl from Michigan
20 September 2002

This movie cracked me up. Steve K. puts in a great performance as Thane, and Jim Carrey cracks me up as Death. The whole movie is basically one big rant, but you will find yourself telling your friends about it. Those children's books were hysterical! I've rented it about 5 times and am about to rent it again this weekend. Simply hilarious.

Jim Carrey, The Chosen One, and Fred Willard

Author: Max_Doobermin (psychopatrick7@yahoo.com) from Hammond, IN
13 August 2002

This movie is great! Jim Carrey has an uncredited role. I won't say who it is I don't wanna give it away. This movie is out of print. But if you can find it at your video store you will not be disappointed. I can't get enough of this movie. It's about a guy who gets mad at everyone and everything. He also writes children's books. The star, and writer, is the star, director, and writer of Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. Which is also a hilarious movie. Steve Oedekerk is a funny, funny guy. WATCH THIS MOVIE!! It is my favorite movie of all time. So watch it and you will be laughin so hard. It's basically just Thane in his apartment alone talking to the camera the whole time but it is funny. It also has a cameo from Fred Willard. He's funny!

Good fun, and very entertaining.

Author: Toronto2sec-1 from Toronto, Ontario
24 September 2001

A good presentation on the part of Steve Oedekerk.

The plot is basically about one Thane Furrows, A very up-tight, mean and sarcastic guy. Who hangs around his apartment all the time. It follows the plot of him speaking right to the camera, about his everyday life, which everything he talks about, he hates. Some sequences involve Jim Carrey playing Death. Which is hilarious. It also involves his friend Al and his Boss. Who don't see the camera as he does.

Out of 10 I'd give it what is already explained. 7.2.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]