IMDb > Grand Canyon (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Wonderful story, incredible music

Author: Mark Kauppila from Novi, MI
7 November 1999

This is one of those movies that I just love to watch. There is a little something for everyone. It's got an amazing soundtrack, good acting, and an incredible story. I wish the world worked right also I guess and can really relate to the story line. The world shouldn't be as messed up as it is.

School Violence and "Grand Canyon"

Author: Gary Nicholson (holokine@sisna.com) from New Mexico
7 June 1999

I recently re-watched this movie. In the context of the recent school shootings, this movie should be required viewing for teenagers. It provides an alternative view of Hollywood and media and a better way to be in our society. Thanks to Mr. Kasden.

An ingenious combination of many talents

Author: contorty from Newark, DE
15 March 1999

It is wonderful how the distinct styles and presence of the actors in this film play together so well. I could not imagine many of these actors in the same movie, but it is ingenious how their roles interact so carefully to avoid clashes on screen. Each character has their own storyline which naturally plays together with the others.

Some of the morals suggested by this story are made too obvious at times, but it has a strong message and is delivered in a very effective manner. Definitely see this movie!

One of the most introspective movies I've seen

Author: Spudster from Simi Valley, CA
6 January 1999

I personally found Grand Canyon to be quite insightful. I must admit I had to watch it at least three times before I could fully appreciate it, though. The soundtrack and scenery were awe-inspiring and really brought you into the plot. The acting was incredibly poignant and I was actually quite surprised by some of the performances. Being a visitor to the "real" Grand Canyon myself, I must say that this movie took a great plot and merged it with that little ditch quite nicely.

Inspires occasionally

Author: gcd70 from Melbourne, Australia
8 September 2007

With "Grand Canyon", our esteemed director Lawrence Kasdan brings us a rather disjointed look at the lives of a few people (and life itself overall), and how those lives intertwine with each other.

While the film has some inspired and inspiring scenes, it is rarely consistent and never reaches its promised potential. Performances are good though (except for Steve Martin who should stick to comedy), in a film that can really make you laugh, and maybe even cry. Sadly though, it does not do this enough.

Kasdan never quite achieves any real clarity or sense of purpose, in a film that ends abruptly, as though it were a pilot for a TV Series.

Sunday, May 10, 1992 - Hoyts Forest Hill Chase

This country is gone to sh*t.

Author: lastliberal from United States
6 July 2007

I was really trying to think about every word in this film written by Lawrence and Meg Kasdan. and directed by Lawrence. It gets weird in parts, but it is the conversation that really makes you think.

Like when Simon (Danny Glover) is trying to explain to Mack (Kevin Kline) about the Grand Cayon: You ever been to the Grand Canyon? Its pretty, but thats not the thing of it. You can sit on the edge of that big ol' thing and those rocks... the cliffs and rocks are so old... it took so long for that thing to get like that... and it ain't done either! It happens right there while your watching it. Its happening right now as we are sitting here in this ugly town. When you sit on the edge of that thing, you realize what a joke we people really are... what big heads we have thinking that what we do is gonna matter all that much... thinking that our time here means didly to those rocks. Just a split second we have been here, the whole lot of us. That's a piece of time so small to even get a name. Those rocks are laughing at me right now, me and my worries... Yeah, its real humorous, that Grand Canyon. Its laughing at me right now. You know what I felt like? I felt like a gnat that lands on the ass of a cow chewing his cud on the side of the road that you drive by doing 70 mph.

So, how do we keep from going crazy when the world around us is going to sh*t? We keep a perspective. We are pretty insignificant and our problems are insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

We take it as it comes and deal with it. No, I don't buy the miracle thing that appears to be a thread in this film, but we have to be open to things that can and do happen and just go with it.

We also have to keep our eye on the bigger picture as Davis (Steve Martin) tells Mack: The point is there's a gulf in this country; an ever-widening abyss between the people who have stuff, and the people who don't have sh*t. It's like this big hole in the ground, as big as the f*cking Grand Canyon, and what's come pouring out is an eruption of rage, and the rage creates violence, and the violence is real, Mack. Nothing's gonna make it go away, until someone changes something, which is not going to happen. And you may not like it, even I may not like it, but I can't pretend it isn't there because that it is a lie, and when art lies, it becomes worthless. So I gotta keep telling the truth, even if it scares the sh*t out of me, like it scares the sh*t out of you. Even if it means some motherf*cker can blow a big hole in my leg for a watch, and I'm gonna walk with a f*cking limp for the rest of my life and call myself lucky.

We gotta keep telling the truth, and the truth is that this movie is worth your time.

Mary McDonnell was really great, and I am in love with Mary-Louise Parker, always have been and always will be.

Great movie, script, and direction!

Author: paulholland1 from Richmond, Virginia
1 March 2003

This is a great movie and script. And the director takes you for a great ride that ends up with view of the Grand Canyon.

I really like the feel of the movie.

The characters are believable.

Kasdan's best work to date

Author: editorbob from Ohio
1 February 2003

Kasdan, Glover, Kline, McDonnell, and Woodard fashion a fine, graceful piece of work. Dialog and story have style and substance; performances have wit and flair. Makes our spiritual evolution seem more than just a dream. Kasdan's best film. My favorite Danny Glover movie (and I'm a fan of the Lethal Weapon series). For

McDonnell's and Woodard's best, see "Passion Fish." Kevin, well, he can be great in a good film (as here or in "A Fish Called Wanda"), he can make a mediocre movie worth watching (see "Life as a House"), and heck, he can even make the boring ones tolerable (see "French Kiss" or "Dave"--yeah, I know I'm gonna step on some toes with that last one, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em). One of the good movies.

Filmed Spirituality.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
6 July 2002

A nice ensemble which includes Danny Glover, Steve Martin, Kevin Kline, Alfre Woodard and Mary McDonnell shine in Lawrence Kasdan's story of life and spirituality in Los Angeles. All the characters seem down for one reason or another, but if they can just get to the "Grand Canyon" they can all see the true wonders of the world they live in. An idea that could have crumbled early on works really well here. Kasdan's Oscar-nominated screenplay and his subtle direction raise the levels of his key players throughout the film's running time. 4 stars out of 5.

Best Dream Sequence Ever... "CBG"

Author: shlotkin from North Carolina
13 June 2002

I generally prefer movies that entertain rather than preach. Grand Canyon, for the most part, falls under the latter. Nothing in the film really enlightened me, but I thoroughly enjoyed all of the acting- definitely Mary McDonnell at her best. Also, just about every scene is directed to perfection. Kasdan creates what is perhaps the most realistic dream sequence of movie history. Not so much with Kevin Kline's dream as with that of Mary McDonnell. The way the scene quickly progresses into such bizarre, mentally over-bearing circumstances was magnificent. (If anyone can think of a better one, please tell me about it- and Yes, I've seen Kurisawa's "Dreams") This scene alone makes it impossible for me NOT to recommend this film- you should definitely rent it as a date movie! It should also satisfy anyone with an appreciation for good directing.