IMDb > Grand Canyon (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Simple and touching

Author: Gisarme from Wellington, New Zealand
19 September 2001

Although it wasn't the most cerebral movie ever, it was the forwardness and pure-heartedness of this movie that won me over. Unlike many others, it didn't start out trying to be clever, it wanted to take the viewer along, spend some time with its characters, have a think about its issues, and to FEEL what the writer must have felt. It wasn't a sociological dissemination, it was a look at the world around us.

The characters are special because they are NICE, not because they can see dead people or is half-robot, but because they are really nice people, real people, with good intentions. Especially of note is Danny Glover's character, who emanates a simple kindness and wisdom that's rarely seen.

This is a oft overlooked movie that really shouldn't be, it's well worth watching.

A fabulous movie that captures our fears and our hopes...

Author: molly from Dallas, TX
15 July 2001

This movie awed me so much that I watch it at least once a year. At times I find it uncomfortable. At times I find it empowering. And I always find the characters human and real. It is a movie that shows you the gritty reality of life in LA, starting with the recurring helicopter search lights scanning for the dangers lurking so close to the ordinary lives being carried on by the characters. It is also a movie that shows you how the kindness of a stranger can change your life and empower you to make a difference. Grand Canyon reminds you that every action you take, whether intended or not, has powerful repercussions. I found this movie to be similar in many ways to Robert Altman's film Short Cuts. Both had a star-studded roster of perfectly cast actors & actresses and both movies allowed you to gradually see how the the characters interrelated with one another and affected each other, for better or worse. Grand Canyon did a better job of providing a cohesive message, (hope in the face of despairing reality), than Altman's film, although I found them both intriguing in their own way. This film is a definite must see!!!

Reason to believe

Author: drakc from Havertown Pa
25 July 2000

Every now and then a film maker brings to life a unique group of people and lets you inside to see the things that make us human. Lawrence Kasden done this again. I always felt theBg Cill was the anthem of it's age and he has managed to do it again in Grand Canyon. Every so often we find ourselves at a point where we have the opportunity to choose life and so often we blow it. This is a film about people who find the courage to choose and experience life because of that choice. The juxtaposing of little and big events that lets us see how basically trivial most things we worry about are is truly genius. I have watched this film a number of times and am constanly surprised at how deep the emotions run through this film. Danny Glover and Kevin Kline do their roles with great tenderness and Stever Martins portrayal of a movie exec is priceless. Thank you again Mr. Kasden

Kasdan's best film

Author: F_Jenkins from la
31 January 2000

Besides being one of my all-time favorites, this film is an example of excellent writing skills and how to make a character driven movie that outside attempting to find "the meaning of life," (the grand Canyon), has no real plot. Yet, the movie is so interesting, so well done on so many levels, whether or not you've been to LA, this is a must see. It's a film I can never get tired of watching. A great cast, writing and direction. To me, this film is part of what I call the "LA Trilogy," which is "Grand CAnyon," "LA Story" (written by and starring G.C.'s Steve Martin) and "Short Cuts" based on some Raymond Carver short stories. Check them out if you get a chance.

#2 Movie of 1991

Author: MooVBabe from California
3 October 1999

This would have been my number one movie of the year for 1991, except it got beat out by the brilliant JFK. This is such a wonderful movie! I loved it. I love stories where different characters' lives intersect with others and how deal with their lives. Kevin Kline is good here, but is outshined by Danny Glover and, especially, Steve Martin. I've never much like Martin or his style, but here he is great. I loved the whole speech he gave to Kline near the end about the Grand Canyon. The writing was excellent. Larry Kasdan is, IMO, a great dialogue writer, along the ways of Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino. Here, he has formed several three-dimensional characters and well thought out storylines, and messages that give a positive feel to our lives. A truly excellent film. 4 out of 4 stars

Miracles ...

Author: anonymous
7 July 1999

How did we first meet the people we know now? More generally, how do we meet anybody in this world? At a bar over a drink? In a subway while bumping into each other? While picking up a newspaper at a street vendor?

How did we ever meet our trusty friends? You probably remember being in trouble and someone happened to be there and went out of his or her way to give you a helping hand. And I bet that person is now a good friend of yours.

Yes, this is a feel-good movie, and No it's far away from a trashy one. But you might have to wonder: are the things happening around us truly random events?

The Ultimate 90's feel-good movie

Author: Stephane BACHELARD (fafane44@hotmail.com) from Dublin, Ireland
29 March 1999

It's the ultimate feel good movie for the 90's, and I would have said "of all time" if it wasn't for It's A Wonderful Life... It is a movie about the true meaning of life and its true values, like family, friendship, solidarity and love. It is also about how small things and everyday actions can change your life forever. The casting is brilliant, the art direction is very good, as is the music !!! I love Lawrence Kasdan and I want to see more of his work !!

Effortlessly Makes My Top 20 List

Author: Phracture from United States
13 January 2006

Grand Canyon is a very strange bird. It's a completely unique urban piece, where relating the entire plot would fail to convey much.

It's central theme seems to be the inherent uncertainty life holds for people of every race, background and station. But to proclaim that THE theme of the film would be to horribly understate its scope. Similarly, to pigeonhole it in a particular genre is futile.

The film has volumes to say, though likely different volumes for every viewer, and says it all in such a non-preachy way from so many angles, that in the end, i can't even define its central message for myself.

Nevertheless, it does it's business with such laser precision; every prop, line of dialog, and bar of background music contributing to it's pervasive mood and powerful message, that i'm pleasantly surprised, and come away very thoughtful after every viewing. Still it doesn't feel at all stuffy. A sparkling film with a great cast and everything working.

One of the Greats

Author: dr_valentine_mp from United States
26 January 2005

This is an excellent movie with a stellar cast and some great acting. I never tire of watching it. I especially love the scene where Danny Glover's character and Kevin Kline's character namely Simon and Mack have brunch together. Kevin Kline is such a natural and it seems his mannerisms are effortless and one you would encounter often. SO its a very 'real' movie.

One of the most powerful scenes in the movie however, is at the beginning of the movie when Simon arrives at the scene where Mack's car has broken down. The movie also has a strong message and is unlike the stereotypical message carrying movie where there's one person preaching his guts out to an audience. Instead the actors' emotions and situations deliver an impactive message that does best without the use of words. And lastly, Mary McDonell is brilliant as always.

a remarkable film

Author: moviekid-2 from sacramento
1 January 2000

Before the L.A. riots in 1992, there was a film that captivated us all and that film is Grand Canyon. I believe that this is the film for teenage viewing. Everybody in this cast is excellent. But the best is Steve Martin's performance here as the film producer who produces violent motion pictures and sooner or later he becomes a victim of violence himself. I think that the best scene in this film is the speech near the end that Davis makes about the Grand Canyon. I also believe that Lawrence Kasdan did a good job here and i think it could have earned a Academy Award nomination for the music score here. James Newton Howard did a very good job setting the music in the right places. If anybody hasn't seen this film, SEE IT! It is a film that you'll never forget.

Page 4 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]