IMDb > Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Gojira vs. Kingu Gidorâ

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah More at IMDbPro »Gojira vs. Kingu Gidorâ (original title)

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

TAKE THAT, YOU DINOSAUR!

Author: bob brasher (bbrasher1) from Chicago, Il., U.S.A.
24 November 2003

***** BUY THIS DVD **** A MUST-SEE *** WELL DONE ** HAS REDEEMING MERIT * PATHETIC TIME-WASTER 0 DOG TURD

As a time travel story, GODZILLA vs. KING GHIDORAH isn't very good.

As a knock-down drag out kaiju flick, it's a must-see.

Three years after his battle with Biollante, Godzilla still poses a threat to Japan(so what else is new?). At this point, visitors from the distant future appear out of nowhere and offer to get rid of Mr. G by erasing his existence. Unfortunately, they replace him with King Ghidorah and threaten to wipe out Japan unless the government caves into their demands to rebuild the country on their terms. To no one's surprise, one of the visitors happens to be a descendant of Chicago Mayor Richard J. Daley.(just kidding folks!)

On the minus side, GxKG contains plot holes big enough to drive a truck through. One example being, if Godzilla was erased from history, why do people from the present time still acknowledge his existence?

On the plus side, there is enough monster mayhem to make up for any shortcomings. The battle scenes and city stomping are among the best seen in any movie of its kind. Along with that, there is the most inane Plan-nine-from-outer-space type dialog (this among the American "actors" on the battleship) ever seen in a Godzilla movie. It's bad enough to be entertaining!

Overall, GODZILLA vs. KING GHIDORAH is worth the time...and you can tell that to your son when he's born, Major Spielberg!

Rating: **** out of ***** (original Japanese version)

Admirable late-night programming - fantastic fun entertainment!

Author: Ben Parker (ben.cheshire@optusnet.com.au) from Australia
28 June 2004

Hitchcock would have admired the no-nonsense progression of this movie. There's no stuffing around with unnecessary sub-plots or boring character histories basically what we want to hear about is Godzilla.

This is from the modern series of Godzilla redoes. The original was 1955, and millions of camp sequels followed in the 60's - and now these latest movies in the 90's. So this looks like a modern movie - with modern technology available, yet they've retained the puppet-like Godzilla. Many have complained at how fake it looks - but considering all the other self-reference, they've definitely done it one purpose. Why do Godzilla computer animated when the vintage puppet Godzilla is so fun!

There's nothing better than a camp movie that knows its camp - this is very fun stuff. For example, the obvious parody of American sci-fi flicks: we see two US soldiers discussing casually how they'll take over the island they've just discovered "yes, the stars and stripes will fly here too." And they see our heroes flying in on their time machine/ufo and think its a space ship (which it is). One says to the other: "Let's just keep this secret. You can tell your son about it, when he's born, Major Spielberg." The slickness of the entertainment actually is the best homage to Spielberg here. These are the kinds of movies Spielberg makes, and the kind of movies we all used to love when we were kids. Good on them, I say.

There is plenty of sci-fi action: UFOs, time machines and futuristic creatures. There are also references to American war movies in the war-like sequences with US troops fighting Godzilla on the Bikini Atoll (or whatever atoll it is - one famous for Nuclear testing). There's adventure, also: the troupe going back in a time machine to 1954 to try and wipe Godzilla from existence is a very exciting adventure premise.

7/10. Thoroughly recommended entertainment.

No more Mr. Nice Godzilla

Author: TVholic from New York
3 November 1999

"Size does matter." So proclaimed the ad campaign of the Americanized Godzilla foisted upon us by Emmerich and Devlin in 1998. If only they had paid more attention to movies like this before they tried to retool Godzilla. Because their overgrown iguana is no match for the towering behemoth of indestructible, nuclear-fueled fury introduced in this movie.

Untold legions of fans grew up with the original Godzilla in the '60s and '70s. We found comfort in the quite cheesy special effects, massive plot holes, extreme overacting, and hilarious dubbing. Not to mention the martial strains of Akira Ifukube's trademark musical scores. The heisei series of second generation Godzilla movies may have offended some purists, but did stick with many of the same elements. Many of the effects were now very good, but others were still unintentionally laughable. The dubbing, of course, was as bad as ever. Logic is the last thing one should expect from a Godzilla plot, and it's not very much in evidence here. But this is all how we like it!

From the tortuous contortions of the time travel plot came a new Godzilla, leaner and far meaner than ever before. No more would he be the protector of Japan. Along with the new origin backstory for Godzilla, we're treated to one for this new King Ghidora, which resembles the original Ghidrah only in name and appearance. But while it took the combined might of all of Japan's monsters to slay Ghidrah, the new and improved Godzilla singlehandedly slew Ghidorah without working up a sweat. Truly a force to be reckoned with.

It's a shame that the second generation films were never released theatrically in the US and only recently released on video. Americans deserved to see that there wasn't a vacuum between Godzilla 1985 and Godzilla (1998). And a generation of American kids, too young to find the old films interesting, lost a chance to be hooked on what's arguably a cultural icon.

the Godzilla flick of the decade

Author: dr_foreman from Brooklyn, NY
23 January 2004

Every ten years or so, Toho grinds out a great little Godzilla movie. This was their classic for the 1990s.

I usually don't like my Godzilla films to get cluttered up with silly science fiction, but in this movie, the time-travel elements are used very deftly to give us insight into the big G's origins. I also love the appearance of a cybernetic King Ghidorah in the final battle, who looks a heck of a lot cooler than any version of Mechagodzilla.

Some of the more interesting elements include a businessman who owes a debt to Godzilla (yes, really!) and renegades from the future who want to destroy Japan's economy. There's a fair amount of criticism leveled at the Americans, but also some self-criticism too, so in the end I think the cultural conflicts in this film are explored rather fairly.

Special effects are definitely a cut above what you'd expect. Ray beams zing back and forth between the battling titans, leveling all those lovely model buildings in the way. Somehow, the spectacle works; it makes me wish that we'd do more model effects in America, but we seem firmly entrenched in the era of lame CGI.

On the downside, the World War II battle segments are tacky, and some plot elements are glossed over (it seems absurdly easy to change M11 into a good guy!). However, this is still the most fun you'll have with Godzilla; the only superior entries in the series, the original "Gojira" and the mighty "GMK," are more dramatic in tone.

Giant monsters + Time Traveling = Awesome goodness

Author: AwesomeWolf from Australia
5 November 2004

Version: Japanese, with English subtitles. Possible Spoilers.

Although it may not sound like it, this is one of Godzilla's best movies. Some dudes from the future visit Japan in 1991, and inform the Japanese government that Japan in the future has been nearly destroyed by Godzilla, and they have come back to help. Why 1991? Well, at that time, Kenichiro Terasawa is writing his book about the origins of Godzilla. So, the future dudes take a team from 1991 back in time to see Godzilla before he was famous, living on an island in the Pacific. Godzilla is wounded by US Navy ships, and transported to the icy Bering Sea. Of course, when they return to 1991, it becomes apparent that the future-dudes have their own agenda (bet ya didn't see that coming). Godzilla has disappeared from history, and King Ghidorah has emerged, and is trashing Japan, and of course controlled by the future dudes who are holding modern-Japan to ransom.

The story is pretty complicated, especially given all the time-travel stuff. Why the big-G has it in for Japan comes out a bit in an in interesting sub-plot. They missed a good opportunity to explore fate & destiny (ala Chrono Cross), but I suppose it would have detracted from the giant-monster action (and why else would you watch a Godzilla movie?).

The giant-monster action in this movie is way cool. We see King Ghidorah trashing Japan, Godzilla (before he was famous) stomp all over US marines, Godzilla trashing Japan, and finally, the big-G and King Ghidorah face-off in Tokyo, in one of my favourite kaiju fight-scenes ever.

The acting by the American characters is generally pretty bad, and the references to Steven Spielberg and The Terminator are funny (in a cheesy way).

The Best Ever ( with the exception of the original )

Author: bruce-marshall2 from United Kingdom
22 December 2004

Godzilla films were cheap and tacky in the sixty's ( if you have seen one you will know what I mean ). But things were looking up because after a short break Godzilla returned in 1984 to his old city bashing self. I myself have not seen the "Return of Godzilla", but I have seen the film Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. To tell you the truth I love the film!!!!!!!! It is by far my favourite along with the "Original" and "Godzilla vs Destoroyah". Godzilla was redesigned and the men in suits were replaced with.... MORE MEN IN SUITS!!! But at least they looked like real monsters and not an over wait deformed puppy. My favourite monster was also redesigned, King Ghidorah looks amazing compared with his original form. The plot, men (and a woman) from the future come and stop Godzilla being born and in stead stick three little animals in its place, they then turn into King Ghidorah. Who go's on a complete rampage until Godzilla turns up. There is a huge fight in which King Ghidorah dies and the Future men are killed apart from one. She go's back to her time creates Mecha-Ghidorah. To save Japan from Godzilla who in the mean time continued King Ghidorah rampage. I give this film 10/10

a true clash of the titans

Author: notyep051798 from Chicago, Illinois
8 April 2004

This Godzilla film, being the third in the second series, offers a lot of things for the fan . This is the plot: People from the future come to present day Japan to warn the citizens about the threat that is Godzilla and that he will totally destroy Japan and offer their assistance to get rid of it. The futurians deves a plan to go back to the past to the event in which Godzilla was created by moving him from the site where the atomic bomb was used to create him to a neutral location. However, the futurians have an ulterior motive, they create King Ghidorah and use him to destroy Japan, for economical reasons. Unfortunately thier plan to get rid of Godzilla backfires greatly. Not only did they not get rid of Godzilla, but he comes back bigger and more powerful than he was before, and that spells major trouble for both the futurians and Japan.

Don't miss this one

Author: John Seal from Oakland CA
4 December 1999

The first of Toho's new cycle of Godzilla features is also the best. It explains a considerable amount of daikaiju mythology (the creation of Godzilla, his love/hate relationship with Japan, the creation of Ghidrah) and has an exciting story with political overtones that also explores the love/hate relationship between Japan and the United States. Top rate.

Make my day

Author: wilson trivino from United States
26 August 2014

This film came to my attention when I attended the first Monsterama Con in 2014 in Atlanta. One of the honored guests was Robert Scott Field who played an android. According to Fields, this film has been recognized as the third best Godzilla movie of all time. In Japan it received the equivalent to our Oscar Award. This film delves back to the origin of Godzilla and the epic battle with his equal King Ghidorah. The future visitors to modern 1990 Japan warn of destruction and want to change the course of the future but manipulating the present. A fun use of old school special effects and fun to see movies made pre- CGI. This movie is a joy for any Godzilla enthusiast. His name is Godzilla!

Gojira vs. Kingu Gidorâ (1991)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
13 December 2011

Godzilla and time travel fumble around with each other in an enjoyable but confusing entry. It mostly confuses because the time travel plot doesn't make much sense. Why do the aliens just move Godzilla? Who knows. It's great to see a bit more origin, even if it doesn't all add up. There are some excellent comedic scenes, aided by some hammy acting. The scene with a Mr. Spielberg is a great laugh out loud moment. The war scenes are a little something new, and the anti Americanism has been blown out of proportion. One of the characters even says that the dinosaur was just protecting its island. Ghidorah soon makes an appearance, and there's even more fun to be had with Mecha-Ghidorah. This was a jump back into the cheesiness of earlier films, but after the undeserved failure of the previous installment, that was to be expected.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]