IMDb > Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Gojira vs. Kingu Gidorâ

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah More at IMDbPro »Gojira vs. Kingu Gidorâ (original title)

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Admirable late-night programming - fantastic fun entertainment!

Author: Ben_Cheshire from Oz
28 June 2004

Hitchcock would have admired the no-nonsense progression of this movie. There's no stuffing around with unnecessary sub-plots or boring character histories basically what we want to hear about is Godzilla.

This is from the modern series of Godzilla redoes. The original was 1955, and millions of camp sequels followed in the 60's - and now these latest movies in the 90's. So this looks like a modern movie - with modern technology available, yet they've retained the puppet-like Godzilla. Many have complained at how fake it looks - but considering all the other self-reference, they've definitely done it one purpose. Why do Godzilla computer animated when the vintage puppet Godzilla is so fun!

There's nothing better than a camp movie that knows its camp - this is very fun stuff. For example, the obvious parody of American sci-fi flicks: we see two US soldiers discussing casually how they'll take over the island they've just discovered "yes, the stars and stripes will fly here too." And they see our heroes flying in on their time machine/ufo and think its a space ship (which it is). One says to the other: "Let's just keep this secret. You can tell your son about it, when he's born, Major Spielberg." The slickness of the entertainment actually is the best homage to Spielberg here. These are the kinds of movies Spielberg makes, and the kind of movies we all used to love when we were kids. Good on them, I say.

There is plenty of sci-fi action: UFOs, time machines and futuristic creatures. There are also references to American war movies in the war-like sequences with US troops fighting Godzilla on the Bikini Atoll (or whatever atoll it is - one famous for Nuclear testing). There's adventure, also: the troupe going back in a time machine to 1954 to try and wipe Godzilla from existence is a very exciting adventure premise.

7/10. Thoroughly recommended entertainment.

TAKE THAT, YOU DINOSAUR!

Author: bob brasher (bbrasher1) from Chicago, Il., U.S.A.
24 November 2003

***** BUY THIS DVD **** A MUST-SEE *** WELL DONE ** HAS REDEEMING MERIT * PATHETIC TIME-WASTER 0 DOG TURD

As a time travel story, GODZILLA vs. KING GHIDORAH isn't very good.

As a knock-down drag out kaiju flick, it's a must-see.

Three years after his battle with Biollante, Godzilla still poses a threat to Japan(so what else is new?). At this point, visitors from the distant future appear out of nowhere and offer to get rid of Mr. G by erasing his existence. Unfortunately, they replace him with King Ghidorah and threaten to wipe out Japan unless the government caves into their demands to rebuild the country on their terms. To no one's surprise, one of the visitors happens to be a descendant of Chicago Mayor Richard J. Daley.(just kidding folks!)

On the minus side, GxKG contains plot holes big enough to drive a truck through. One example being, if Godzilla was erased from history, why do people from the present time still acknowledge his existence?

On the plus side, there is enough monster mayhem to make up for any shortcomings. The battle scenes and city stomping are among the best seen in any movie of its kind. Along with that, there is the most inane Plan-nine-from-outer-space type dialog (this among the American "actors" on the battleship) ever seen in a Godzilla movie. It's bad enough to be entertaining!

Overall, GODZILLA vs. KING GHIDORAH is worth the time...and you can tell that to your son when he's born, Major Spielberg!

Rating: **** out of ***** (original Japanese version)

the Godzilla flick of the decade

Author: dr_foreman from Brooklyn, NY
23 January 2004

Every ten years or so, Toho grinds out a great little Godzilla movie. This was their classic for the 1990s.

I usually don't like my Godzilla films to get cluttered up with silly science fiction, but in this movie, the time-travel elements are used very deftly to give us insight into the big G's origins. I also love the appearance of a cybernetic King Ghidorah in the final battle, who looks a heck of a lot cooler than any version of Mechagodzilla.

Some of the more interesting elements include a businessman who owes a debt to Godzilla (yes, really!) and renegades from the future who want to destroy Japan's economy. There's a fair amount of criticism leveled at the Americans, but also some self-criticism too, so in the end I think the cultural conflicts in this film are explored rather fairly.

Special effects are definitely a cut above what you'd expect. Ray beams zing back and forth between the battling titans, leveling all those lovely model buildings in the way. Somehow, the spectacle works; it makes me wish that we'd do more model effects in America, but we seem firmly entrenched in the era of lame CGI.

On the downside, the World War II battle segments are tacky, and some plot elements are glossed over (it seems absurdly easy to change M11 into a good guy!). However, this is still the most fun you'll have with Godzilla; the only superior entries in the series, the original "Gojira" and the mighty "GMK," are more dramatic in tone.

The Best Ever ( with the exception of the original )

Author: bruce-marshall2 from United Kingdom
22 December 2004

Godzilla films were cheap and tacky in the sixty's ( if you have seen one you will know what I mean ). But things were looking up because after a short break Godzilla returned in 1984 to his old city bashing self. I myself have not seen the "Return of Godzilla", but I have seen the film Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. To tell you the truth I love the film!!!!!!!! It is by far my favourite along with the "Original" and "Godzilla vs Destoroyah". Godzilla was redesigned and the men in suits were replaced with.... MORE MEN IN SUITS!!! But at least they looked like real monsters and not an over wait deformed puppy. My favourite monster was also redesigned, King Ghidorah looks amazing compared with his original form. The plot, men (and a woman) from the future come and stop Godzilla being born and in stead stick three little animals in its place, they then turn into King Ghidorah. Who go's on a complete rampage until Godzilla turns up. There is a huge fight in which King Ghidorah dies and the Future men are killed apart from one. She go's back to her time creates Mecha-Ghidorah. To save Japan from Godzilla who in the mean time continued King Ghidorah rampage. I give this film 10/10

Don't miss this one

Author: John Seal from Oakland CA
4 December 1999

The first of Toho's new cycle of Godzilla features is also the best. It explains a considerable amount of daikaiju mythology (the creation of Godzilla, his love/hate relationship with Japan, the creation of Ghidrah) and has an exciting story with political overtones that also explores the love/hate relationship between Japan and the United States. Top rate.

Godzilla, King Ghidorah, and Time Travel......

Author: gigan-92 from United States
27 April 2009

The third entry in the Heisei Godzilla series, and a great one at that. One reason to love it if you're a fan, as myself, is that King Ghidorah returns!! Just as maniacal and evil as he was in the Showa films. Unfortunately, King Ghidorah would be a 'good guy' the next time him and Godzilla face off, in GMK, in ten years. This film is famous for revealing the Monster King's origin. More on that later...

Akira Ifukbe also returns to score the film, bringing back Godzilla and Ghidorah's original themes, which both sound spectacular. The human characters are pretty throughout,but the action sequences sub-par. One major problem with this film is simply that Kazuki Omori's screenplay called for too much human action that the budget was definitely not big enough for. However that wasn't the point in this film, at least most of the time, with its political statements and essentially deep plot, if you look at it in a satirical yet intricate perspective. In fact there are quite a bit of themes in this film if you dig deep enough and don't dismiss the film for Toho's expected budget. Moving away from that, Ghidorah not only has a new look, but a new origin. I could explain it, but you'll get it after seeing it a few times I assume. The King of Darkness looked great and his rampage scenes look awesome. The only thing I didn't like about him was that he wasn't given his original roar ( or shriek, whatever you want to call it) and instead a modified Rodan-cackle. Whatever....

Godzilla looks incredible and I love his roar. He doesn't appear till the last 38 minutes but once he does he gets plenty of action scenes that were well done for the most part. The Godzillasaurus was a cool monster and its fight with the Navy vessels was great. It wasn't till later I realized they used Gamera's roar as the creature dies, I guess a bit of a spoof of some sort. I guess Toho had no idea Gamera would return in 1995 with a new series of films that would challenge Godzilla as the Monster King. Mecha-King Ghidorah was a nice edition as well and the final battle was top notch. To me, however, the battle between the two title monsters was the best and one of the best in the Heisei series. I admire it for its creativity and for its physical side. The part where Ghidorah uses his python like necks to strangle Godzilla was my favorite moment.

Mr. Shindo and Godzilla's confrontation was actually a bit moving. But when a story involves time travel, there are bound to be flaws. To go into this continuity catastrophe with great detail would be too much for this review. So despite the continuity of the Heisei series now ruined, this film deserves respect for great monsters and its other aspects and I still find it enjoyable to watch. You'll literally rate it two stars lower if you watch the Sony Tristar dub, seeing as it was f*ckin terrible to say the least.

Giant monsters + Time Traveling = Awesome goodness

Author: AwesomeWolf from Australia
5 November 2004

Version: Japanese, with English subtitles. Possible Spoilers.

Although it may not sound like it, this is one of Godzilla's best movies. Some dudes from the future visit Japan in 1991, and inform the Japanese government that Japan in the future has been nearly destroyed by Godzilla, and they have come back to help. Why 1991? Well, at that time, Kenichiro Terasawa is writing his book about the origins of Godzilla. So, the future dudes take a team from 1991 back in time to see Godzilla before he was famous, living on an island in the Pacific. Godzilla is wounded by US Navy ships, and transported to the icy Bering Sea. Of course, when they return to 1991, it becomes apparent that the future-dudes have their own agenda (bet ya didn't see that coming). Godzilla has disappeared from history, and King Ghidorah has emerged, and is trashing Japan, and of course controlled by the future dudes who are holding modern-Japan to ransom.

The story is pretty complicated, especially given all the time-travel stuff. Why the big-G has it in for Japan comes out a bit in an in interesting sub-plot. They missed a good opportunity to explore fate & destiny (ala Chrono Cross), but I suppose it would have detracted from the giant-monster action (and why else would you watch a Godzilla movie?).

The giant-monster action in this movie is way cool. We see King Ghidorah trashing Japan, Godzilla (before he was famous) stomp all over US marines, Godzilla trashing Japan, and finally, the big-G and King Ghidorah face-off in Tokyo, in one of my favourite kaiju fight-scenes ever.

The acting by the American characters is generally pretty bad, and the references to Steven Spielberg and The Terminator are funny (in a cheesy way).

a true clash of the titans

Author: notyep051798 from Chicago, Illinois
8 April 2004

This Godzilla film, being the third in the second series, offers a lot of things for the fan . This is the plot: People from the future come to present day Japan to warn the citizens about the threat that is Godzilla and that he will totally destroy Japan and offer their assistance to get rid of it. The futurians deves a plan to go back to the past to the event in which Godzilla was created by moving him from the site where the atomic bomb was used to create him to a neutral location. However, the futurians have an ulterior motive, they create King Ghidorah and use him to destroy Japan, for economical reasons. Unfortunately thier plan to get rid of Godzilla backfires greatly. Not only did they not get rid of Godzilla, but he comes back bigger and more powerful than he was before, and that spells major trouble for both the futurians and Japan.

Gojira vs. Kingu Gidorâ (1991)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
13 December 2011

Godzilla and time travel fumble around with each other in an enjoyable but confusing entry. It mostly confuses because the time travel plot doesn't make much sense. Why do the aliens just move Godzilla? Who knows. It's great to see a bit more origin, even if it doesn't all add up. There are some excellent comedic scenes, aided by some hammy acting. The scene with a Mr. Spielberg is a great laugh out loud moment. The war scenes are a little something new, and the anti Americanism has been blown out of proportion. One of the characters even says that the dinosaur was just protecting its island. Ghidorah soon makes an appearance, and there's even more fun to be had with Mecha-Ghidorah. This was a jump back into the cheesiness of earlier films, but after the undeserved failure of the previous installment, that was to be expected.

monsters and mutations

Author: antipas2000 from United Kingdom
5 June 2007

I first saw Godzilla vs King Ghidorah on a "monster-movie" night on TV. I loved it, however with all Godzilla movies, it takes some time for the action to start up. There is a whole story plot about having to go back in time to save Tokyo from... (guess who) Aliens from the future. But they actually want to destroy the city and re-shape and build it how they see fit. And while in the past, they release three cuddly-looking creatures referred to as "Dorats". The Dorats are exposed to the same nuclear radiation as the Godzilla dinosaur. Enter - King Ghidorah.

King Ghidorah has always been referred to as one of the space monsters. Another example would be the creature "Gigan". But this story brings forth King Ghidorah in a new way and the aliens have full control over the creature. Of course, Godzilla arrives and there are some really good fight scenes that really credit this film to glory.

However, the real fun comes at the turning point whilst Godzilla rampages through the city, one of the aliens (not a bad one), goes to the future to the same spot in the sea where King Ghidorah fell in his battle with Godzilla, and users future technology to upgrade, power-up and revive King Ghidorah. My heart jumped when the new King Ghidorah appeared in the sky in a flash of lightening and surging power.

In the first fight with Godzilla, the centre head of King Ghidorah was literally blown off. But he comes back with a powerful metallic head that really takes your breath away. It is like a powerful Tri-headed dragon robot. The thing even has spikes added the ends of its two tails! It is brilliant and the film makers have done a remarkable job at futuristic possibilities, fantasy and imagination.

I have revealed quite a bit in this rather short comment, but I will not ruin things for you by telling you what happens and who wins in the end. Enjoy this film because as Godzilla movies go, this is probably one of the better ones. The designs of the monsters have been greatly improved and look much more real that just a person wearing a dinosaur suit.

You can really believe that these are real, even in reality and in your mind. Look closely at the details of King Ghidorah's heads. Much better than when King Ghidorah first appeared and continued to re-appear against Godzilla. He looked really old and shaggy in the original Godzilla's, but now - "it" looks much better.

I give this film a high score in its own right.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]