IMDb > Father of the Bride (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

American "1991" Values

Author: Florida2 from Fort Lauderdale
9 July 2006

It's hard to ignore Steve Martin's comedy, but, the film makes me cringe, especially if this movie is seen in countries whose citizens think this is the "average" American family of today. For example, George's opening comment that he lives in an "average" house - one that looks like it came from a magazine cover - would today sell for several million dollars! What also makes me cringe is the shear extravagance, with Mom justifying it all because "we don't go to Europe" - again, it must give non-Americans (especially those in third-world countries) the idea that every American citizen lives this way, and, is easily able to spend incredible sums of money on an afternoon wedding.

While this film may have been good for a laugh in the early '90s, today's world is much different, and poorer (even for Americans), and, considering the often harsh criticism of American values today, perhaps it's time for this film to be removed from distribution - before it misleads anyone else.

One of the most romantic, heart-warming, and enchanting comedies I have ever seen

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
21 November 2005

FATHER OF THE BRIDE, in my opinion, is one of the most romantic, heart-warming, and enchanting comedies I have ever seen. If you ask me, Alan Silvestri's score was absolutely romantic. In addition, I thought that the performances were superior, the directing was excellent, the costumes were perfectly designed, and the casting was perfect. Also, I was surprised that Martin Short sported his accent. Kudos to Charles Shyer and everyone involved for a job well done. Now, in conclusion, if you are a fan Steve Martin, Diane Keaton, or Martin Short, I highly recommend this movie. You're in for a feel good time, so see this movie today. You're in for a good time, so go to the video store, rent it or buy it, kick back with a friend, and watch it.

Funny!

Author: Monika-5 from United States
25 October 1999

I loved the warm, homey feeling this movie has, and you can relate to the characters. Even though I've seen this movie many times, I still HOWL at these 2 scenes: George envisioning the wedding reception with crepe paper, balloons, and himself slinging burgers wearing a chef's hat, and the scene where he goes crazy over the hot dog buns in the supermarket! Steve Martin's George is a scream and totally lovable, and Kimberly Williams is radiant and delightful as the bride-to-be. A totally enjoyable film.

"I Used To Think A Wedding Was A Simple Affair"

Author: Michael Coy (michael.coy@virgin.net) from London, England
21 January 1999

George loves his house and his neighbourhood and his only daughter. Into his comfortable world intrudes the eventuality he has been dreading for 22 years - his little Annie is getting married.

This 1991 remake of the Spencer Tracy comedy is very loyal to the original, replicating verbatim large sections of the dialogue. It's all here - the sentimentality, the materialism, the self-indulgence ... and the Venus de Milo navel-clock.

Martin takes off his shoes amid the post-reception debris and addresses the camera directly, just as Tracy did. The movie proceeds as a series of comic episodes, linked by George's voice-over.

Kimberly Williams is excellent as Annie, the bride-to-be. Like Elizabeth Taylor in the original, she has the daffy, unrealistic outlook of a pampered youngster, but manages to make her character much more likeable than Taylor did.

Martin plays George Banks with his usual wacky energy. The script is serviceable, with some good jokes, and Martin adds some slapstick and face-pulling. His comical expressions in the 'blender' scene are excellent.

Diane Keaton as George's wife has nothing to do. She simpers in the right places, and is suitably sensible as the counterbalance to Martin's antics, but is woefully under-used.

The one-on-one basketball scene is a memorable passage, conveying something of the special bond between this father and daughter. An effective and poignant joke is the 'warm coat' sequence, lifted wholesale from the earlier movie. The parade of irritating boyfriends is wisely omitted - it didn't come off in the 1950 version. The bandleader audition is much funnier. Franck the wedding co-ordinator is one of this film's glories, completely outclassing Leo Carroll, who played the equivalent role first time round.

The young couple are attractive, Martin is amusing and the story is told competently enough, but one wonders whether the world needed another "Father of the Bride" at all. The original was so good as to be definitive. Surely Martin, with his box-office clout, can find fresh new projects, rather than rehashing movies which can still hold their own.

Cryogenically Frozen

Author: August1991 from Montréal
19 April 2004

This film makes about as much sense as an 'Ozzie & Harriet' or a 'Father Knows Best' episode. An old copy of Reader's Digest (circa 1962) would provide more insight into modern life, or the relationship between a father and a daughter, than this weird concoction.

I was surprised with Diane Keaton. She appears to sleepwalk through the film. (Given the film's title, I realize that hers was a supporting role but even Martin Short managed a distinct, supporting character.)

I can understand the attraction of an imaginary world created in a good romantic comedy. But this film is the prozac version of an imaginary world. I'm frightened to consider that anyone could enjoy it even as pure fantasy.

Steve Martin at his best

Author: studioAT from United Kingdom
25 August 2015

I find Steve Martin's films a bit inconsistent but there is no doubting the talent of the man, and this film highlights those perfectly.

There isn't really much plot to talk about really. It's the story of how a father reacts to his daughters upcoming wedding.

However what makes this film so special is that it is full of lovely moments and sentimental without becoming cloying.

Steve Martin may be the central point for the comedy but credit must also be given to Diane Keaton and Kimberly Williams who do well in their roles. As for Martin Short's role...well, you'll either love it or hate it.

Overall a lovely sweet hearted film. I've not seen the sequel as yet but to be honest I think this is one film that could have been left alone.

Martin Shines in Very Good Film

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
8 February 2014

Father of the Bride (1991)

*** (out of 4)

Very funny remake of the Spencer Tracy-Elizabeth Taylor classic has Steve Martin stepping into the role of the father who finds himself losing his mind once he learns that his daughter is about to be married. The original version of this film is a pretty straight-forward comedy that plays itself out as a rather down-to-Earth and realistic film. It certainly deserves its classic label and this remake is actually a lot funnier, although it does go for a more slapstick approach. I think what makes this film so memorable is the performance of Martin who was clearly given a type of role that would allow him to deliver his comic talent but also give him a few tender scenes. I thought this was pretty much a greatest hits type package for the actor because there's a wide range of comedy going on here and he perfectly nails all of it. It could be the various weird faces and reactions he gives and this is on perfect display when he first hears about the wedding. He's given some physical comedy, which is perfectly done during a sequence where he's in the in-laws house causing trouble. Then you've got some over-the-top but hilarious moments with the best being inside a grocery and involves hot dogs and buns. Martin's given a nice supporting cast including Diane Keaton as his wife, Kimberly Williams as the daughter and then there's Martin Short who's perfect as the wedding planner. The film obviously goes for the big laughs and it gets plenty of them. The screenplay is pretty straight-forward and as you'd expect there are the funny moments but we're also given some more quiet and tender moments, which actually work quite well and especially the wedding sequence. FATHER OF THE BRIDE is a great example of a remake that actually works.

He drove too fast....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
27 December 2013

George Banks is an ordinary man whose 21 year-old daughter Annie has decided to marry a man she met in Rome, but George can't think of what life would be like without his daughter.

His wife tries to make him happy for Annie's sake, but when the wedding takes place at their home and a bizarre wedding planner takes over the ceremony, George must try to handle the fact that people grow up, and move on...

Any father with a daughter of a certain age, will take heed with this movie, because its simply so true, and Martin nails it as the titular character.

All his worries and quandaries are true and are dealt with in a wonderful way, despite the film being wonderfully hilarious.

There are the odd movies that lay on the schmaltz and sugar coat every aspect of the narrative, and you really don't mind them doing it, in fact, you hoped they would do it a little bit more, just to make it that little more heartwarming.

The cast are fantastic, Martin in my opinion hasn't been this good since, and the whole film is just nice, funny, and heartwarming.

You will want to ring your daughter after seeing this, just to let her know you love her.

I like this movie

Author: jeanettehu4 from United States
25 November 2013

it was one of the sweetest movies I watched. I watched two movies today, one was When Harry Met Sally and the other one was this movie. I like this way better than that, may be it is because the stories about family always touch me more than the stories about love. I knew both of these to movies from my text book"the American way", the chapter talks about the American family. I think the movie"When Harry Met Sally" is about the relationship between men and women, and this movie is about the relationship between father and daughter. Anyway, I do like this movie a lot, it was funny and warm. :) And the other thing I was glad about was, this movie doesn't have subtitle, but surprisingly I understood almost all.

Wonderfully funny and charming.

Author: Advait Kamat from India
17 May 2013

I have often thought that Steve Martin always deserved more respect and honor than he has already received, given the fact that he has pulled off both screen writing and acting with unrivaled avidity. And the fact still remains that, if Steve Martin is acting in a film, the film belongs to him all the way. Even if the film is the ruefully boring and a near-disastrous rendition of the 1963 classic "The Pink Panther", in which he played the iconic role of Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau. In "Father Of The Bride", he once again takes on a role made iconic by Spencer Tracy, though this time he gives it a skin of its own, thus succeeding in transforming a mawkishly-constructed drama into a zingy comedy.

George Banks' (Steve Martin) life changes when his daughter Annie (Kimberly Williams) tells him that she has decided to get married to Bryan MacKenzie (George Newbern), a guy she had met in Rome a few months before. Unable to cope up with the idea of living his life without Annie, George finds himself getting increasingly flustered with the preparations for the wedding. His wife Nina (Diane Keaton) finds Annie a wedding coordinator Franck Eggelhoffer (Martin Short) when she finds out that George isn't quite willing to let Annie get married. The plot focuses on the subsequent wedding and how George embraces the little occasions it brings.

Something that struck me before anything else did was how quickly the plot kicked in, not wanting to fool around with the frivolous bits. This, of course, led to the protracted development of a few characters though Martin got enough screen time to imbue his character of George Banks with disarming sincerity and embellish him into a likable and congenial father. Though the story roisters itself through a rather predictable narrative, the funny parts come in little details. And somehow you feel as if they weren't put there to make you laugh because they seem so familiar. That's one way to know how delightful a comedy really is, when it makes you laugh, not because it is funny but because how honest it is. "Father Of The Bride" is a commendable addition to that category because it doesn't have to try hard to make you smile. It's a useful little trick and director Charles Shyer sneakily uses it to magnificent effect.

One of the many niggles I have with this film is how many insignificant details it cramps in its plot, like the utterly inconsequential scene where George decides to investigate the MacKenzies and finally ends up in their pool after an overlong, overused cliché of wrecking a perfectly set-up meeting. If it was an an attempt to show George's desperation, it came off as a tawdry plea to evoke laughter. The underwritten character of Nina is a minor flaw which could've easily been rectified, had Shyer let the plot unravel at its own pace. At the end of the first hour, George's anguish at letting Annie go begins to take its toll on your patience, and more than once I had wanted to yell "Get on with it!", though I couldn't shake off the feeling that the intention was deliberate. Either way, I found it to be vaguely irksome.

Of the performances, Steve Martin turns in a supremely well-balanced performance with his portrayal of George Banks, playing the distressed and hesitantly supportive father with a calm demeanor. Diane Keaton is wonderful in her role as his wife Nina, though a little more writing could have greatly helped her character to be as delightful. Kimberly Williams' lack of confidence in her role as Annie is evident though she maintains a dignified presence throughout.

"Father Of The Bride" is one of those rare comedies that don't age with time. If you can get past it's predictable plot, it's one film that has enough substance to make your day.

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]