IMDb > F/X2 (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
F/X2

F/X2 More at IMDbPro »

Plot kinda zigs and Zags but its still fun...

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
18 August 2001

Decent if somewhat belated(5 years??) followup to the '86 suprise hit, has Dennehy and Brown in fine form, some involved monkey business with Vatican medallions, bad cops and computer records. You gotta like the MacGyver-ish stuff they throw in, the indestructible hit-man and of course, That Clown. The Fighting, Animitronic Klown. Quite funny in it's way.

This thing is def. tongue in cheek, at little on the confusing side if you try to think about the flips and flops in the plotting; but hey-it's all in fun. Dated but good.

**1/2 outta ****.

Almost as good as the first.

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
4 April 2004

F/X2 was actually a good sequel. But I think that's because it is very much like the first movie. And, F/X itself was a great movie because of the idea of a special effects artist trying to get himself out of a mess. Rollie Tyler (Bryan Brown) is now a toy inventor, having retired from the special effects business. His girlfriend's ex-husband, a cop named Mike, employ's Rollie's special effects expertise to set up a sting operation. But, something goes foul and the cop winds up dead. Like F/X 2, Rollie becomes once again involved with crooked cops and has to solve the whodunnit. And, part of what made the first movie great, too, was Brian Dennehy as detective Leo McCarthy, who Rollie Tyler calls on for help.

As far as the story goes, it involves a bigger scale of corruption in the law enforcement circle, but the movie is just as enjoyable. And, you still get to see Rollie Tyler using his special effects abilities, which I always thought was the best part of the first one. If you have seen the first F/X, it's probably very likely you'll like the second one. It's one of the few movies I have seen where I can say that the sequel was pretty good.

a surprisingly-good sequel

Author: MichaelM24 from California
19 March 2002

F/X 2 turned out to be a better sequel that I was expecting, as a result of what I had heard people say about it over the years. I was glad to see Bryan Brown and Brian Dennehy share more scenes together this time around (they only had one in the first film), and I was also surprised that the story was pretty good, in the same league as the first. Sure, some parts were predictable (nearly every film has got some predictability to it), but for the most part, it was nicely-paced with some good suspense and mystery. I was hoping for a better usage of special effects by the characters (after all, the series is called F/X), but Brown pretty much just MacGyvers his way through the film, especially in the supermarket sequence, one of the film's standout scenes. My personal favorite was the scene in Brown's apartment, where he uses an animatronic remote-controlled clown to handle an assassin (who, like Cliff DeYoung in the first film, mysteriously vanishes from the movie without a trace), and the battle at the mansion at the end of the film is pretty exciting, with Brown making use of a bunch of effects equipment to stop the bad guys. All-in-all, a pretty decent sequel that has me torn between which of the two films I like more. I really can't decide. I know it's been eleven years, and since this one apparently didn't perform as well at the box office as the first one did, I doubt we'll ever see an F/X 3, but I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Rollie's at it again

Author: blanche-2 from United States
19 October 2006

Special effects genius Rollie Tyler (Bryan Brown) is lured back into the world of creating illusion in "F/X2" also starring Brian Dennehy and Rachel Ticotin. It's five years since Rollie quit the film business; now he's a toy-maker with a new girlfriend, Kim (Ticotin). When Kim's ex-husband, Mike (Tom Mason), a police officer, asks for Rollie's help in catching a killer, he reluctantly agrees. Through no fault of Rollie's, Mike ends up dead and Rollie has the proof that Mike was set up. This puts Rollie in danger - deja vu. He makes a desperate call to Leo, and the two team up again.

This time around, the plot is a somewhat far-fetched, the emphasis being more on action. There are some very exciting scenes as well as some ingenious toys, including a toy clown that figures prominently in the plot. Brown and Dennehy have incredible chemistry. They're a joy to watch. My old classmate, Josie DeGuzman (here spelled Josie) is back as Leo's secret weapon in the department. Being predominantly a theater actress, her performance is somewhat stagy but she's no less likable. Joanna Gleason plays an assistant DA.

Clever effects, the great re-teaming of Brown and Dennehy, and very entertaining.

Entertaining but Typical 1980's-type Action Thriller that Had Greater Potential

Author: classicalsteve from Oakland, CA
16 March 2008

The glaring shortcoming of F/X 2 is that the main thrust of the plot, i.e. the what and why of the baddies, is not revealed until an hour or so into the film. At 109 minutes, that's well over half-way. Certainly the point was to pop our main character, Rollie Tyler (reprised by Bryan Brown from the first movie), into a life and death situation beyond his comprehension, and not until several clues are followed revealed that he (and we) find out what these circumstances are.

Briefly, Rollie, the Australian special effects wizard, is hired again by the FBI to aid in cornering a serial killer. However, the plan goes awry when the FBI man who was supposed to stop the suspect in his tracks is killed by another unknown killer. Rollie finds himself also caught in a web of intrigue. And of course, when he is on the verge of getting snuffed out, Dennehy as Leo McCarthy pops in to save his ass. Not a bad opening, all things considered.

Finally, Leo uncovers the back story, which I won't reveal, lest I be accused of "giving it away" as they say. However, the back story is described almost offhandedly, without even a flashback. Unfortunately, the downside is that, with very little screen time left, neither the history of what's behind the bad guys' motivations nor the bad guys themselves are ever fully developed. I found myself wanting to know more about the circumstances surrounding this back story, the what and the why. Of course, with these kinds of movies, a lot of screen time must be devoted to the baddies chasing the innocent by-standers in shopping malls or in car chases. I guess it's a Hollywood law that American filmmakers must devote a specified minimum amount of time to choreographed running around and shooting so they can legitimately call their project an "action movie".

Still the film has its entertainment value. There is a strange chemistry that exists between Brian Dennehy (reprising his role has Leo McCarthy) and Bryan Brown, and again I wish that had been milked for all its worth. Of course, the most entertaining sequence, like the first installment, is the use of movie effects to thwart the bad guys, which works very well. Maybe I appreciated it as a breath of fresh air from the typical cat and mouse chase with automatic weapons that typically climaxes most of these kinds of films.

Still very much in the style of a 1980's action movie, although this was 1991, with the typical rock songs spliced in for good measure. With the exception of the use of the special effects against the baddies at the finale, story-wise it is really the equivalent of a two-part episode of "Simon and Simon" with a larger budget.

Pretty good for a sequel--but don't look at it TOO closely

Author: preppy-3 from United States
5 February 2012

Retired special effects man Rollie Tyler (Bryan Brown) agrees to help trap a killer for the NYPD. The killer is caught and shot dead but a policeman also is killed. The police believe the killer was the one who did it--but Rollie was watching it on a hidden camera and caught someone else doing it. It eventually leads to hired killers going after Rollie and his girlfriend...so Rollie asks old pal Leo McCarthy (Brian Dennehy) for help.

Long delayed (5 YEARS!) sequel to "F/X" was basically ignored when it came out...but it's not bad. The story is a little needlessly convoluted but I was never bored. There are multiple twists and turns...especially at the end that caught me off guard. The action sequences are long, exciting and LOTS of fun (one with a clown was so out there it was almost surreal!). There is also some welcome humor that's actually funny (courtesy of Dennehy). However this movie has problems. The basic plot makes little sense--Brown would agree to help the cops again after what happened in the first picture? And, in a particularly stupid scene, Brown and Dennehy have a killer trapped under a truck...and drive away and let him go! Also there's a mean streak in here with some pretty bloody killings with sympathetic characters being killed and a kid and his mom being threatened at gunpoint. Still, if you ignore these lapses, this is a fun movie worth catching.

Simple and plain sequel with splendid duo protagonist as Bryan Brown and Brian Dennehy

Author: ma-cortes
17 September 2010

This agreeable follow-up packs intrigue , fast pace , action , suspense and lots of amusement . F/X was a great movie because of the idea of a special effects artist attempting to get himself out of a mess . This followup is also good but inferior to original . It deals with F/X man Rollie Tyler (Bryan Brown) as expert craftsman , nowadays he is a toymaker and settles a peaceful life . A Police agent , asks Rollie to help him to make a setup for chase a psycho-killer . As Rollie accepts because the cop is the ex-husband (Tom Mason ) of his new girlfriend (Rachel Ticotin) and he carries out the execution the phony work . The operation was going well when allegedly another murderer kills the cop . When corrupt agents double cross him on the staging the fake assassination Rollie finds himself embroiled in a deadly cover-up and he uses his special effects to trap the corrupt agents . Obviously a chief police is involved with the death , but when the things get worse Rollie calls on Leo MacCarthy (Brian Dennehy ) , confronting both of them a corrupt system . The whiz Rollie and Leo team up once more to use their special effects and advanced technology to find those responsible for the death of the cop . Rollie must use his movie magic and wits to discover the true guilty , survive and he becomes involved a mess that includes Mafia , Vatican and some golden medallions . As far as the story goes , it involves a bigger scale of corruption in the law enforcement circle .

Entertaining but ordinary 1990's-type action thriller that has some nice parts as is fast-paced , well acted , engaging and thrilling film . It has ex-Inspector Dennehy and FX wizard Brown in perfect form , developing an enjoyable relationship between the crime-busting buddies . Furthermore, good secondaries as Rachel Ticotin , Kevin J O'Connor , Joanna Gleason , Philip Bosco , all of them make fine performances . Some moments were predictable , but for the most part , it was finely-paced with action scenes efficiently handed and some good intrigue and mystery . There are some very exciting scenes as well as some ingenious special effects, including the final setup that resolves prominently the intrigue . The cinematography by Victor J. Kemper and editing are functional . Decent musical score fitting to action by Lalo Schifrin though excessive use of synthesizer . Action is pretty nicely done and fast moving with some engaging gimmickry provided by means of Animatronics and a telemetry suit , enabling the wearer to control a clown's movements via remote control that includes piloting a helicopter . The motion picture is professionally directed by Richard Franklin (Road games , Psycho II, Patrick). This is an acceptable if somewhat belated following to surprise hit realized in 1986 that was a Sleeper titled ¨FX , Murder by illusion¨ , the sequel ¨FX2¨ however, the entire thing is nowhere near as exciting and interesting . It's followed followed by an amiable TV series .

Clone before Dolly

Author: przgzr from Zagreb, Croatia
28 February 2005

First: I don't like action movies (anyone who ever read any of my comments probably knows it).

But there are a few action movies that contain enough humor to be borderline comedies, and I just love them. After 'Lethal Weapon' (No 1 in the genre) I like FX most.

And what about FX2? You can't say it's better, you can't say it's worse, you can't (unfortunately) say it's different from FX1 at all. From the very start (action scenes from making a movie) to the very last (two main characters in Europe with a lot of money belonging to no one, so they can keep it) there are so many similarities that I'm reminded on modern TV coverage of ski races where TV directors put a picture of one competitor over another to compare them. And just like the skiers, these two movies go the same path between the same gates and making the same jumps with just a little divergence from time to time.

Comparing to 'Lethal Weapon' there is far less dynamics between main characters, they act as if they do their routine job - and remembering FX1 (where they hardly met at all) and watching first part of FX2 (where they say they haven't met for a long time) you would expect that they had to take some time to adjust one to another so they can cooperate that well. There are also more hard-to-believe plot twists than in part 1, so if that one looked funny though a bit strained, this one is still funny but unbelievable. But if that doesn't bother you, and if you liked part 1, you won't regret watching this sequel (or should I say clone?).

inferior sequel

Author: SnoopyStyle
19 October 2015

Rollie Tyler (Bryan Brown) is no longer in the movies. He's now a toymaker with a girlfriend named Kim Brandon (Rachel Ticotin). Her ex-husband NYPD detective Mike Brandon asks him to use his skills to help catch a killer. As the other cops go off to take down the suspect, a mysterious assassin kills Mike. Rollie records Lt. Ray Silak tampering with the murder weapon. The assassin tracks down Rollie and Leo McCarthy (Brian Dennehy) saves him in the nick of time.

The most memorable thing in this movie is Rollie's man-size mechanical clown with a control bodysuit. It's a double-edge sword. It's fun at first but Rollie looks sillier and sillier with the control suit. In fact, a lot of this movie is pretty silly. A lot of the traps are reminiscent of "Home Alone" with chemicals and bigger tech.

Along with all the gadgetry, one of the things that Rollie is known for is his avoidance of guns. He's a MacGyver in that way. However this can go too far. In one scene, he grabs the assassin's gun in the aquarium while he's being drowned. Then for some reason he leaves it behind for the assassin to pick up and shoot at him. It's annoying when smart characters do stupid things. This is simply inferior to the original. It's not as much fun. It is sillier and not as compelling. It's not terrible but it's not good.

F/X 2; One of the best action films ever

Author: Connor Arenth (X-plosive-NITRO)
18 July 2015

This is an awesome action film with great performances by Bryan Brown and Brian Dennehy. Its fast paced action packed and full of great special f/x hence the name. I started to hear about this movie and f/x 1 about a year ago and it sounded interesting so a few months ago I went to fye and bought it and I loved it. I recommend this and F/X to all action fans. F/X is available on 1 DVD and 1 blue-ray and F/X2 is available on 1 DVD. You can find them for cheap on ebay. Although this film is underrated I think it is really awesome and that action fans would love this. If you like the movies there is also a TV series. FX2 is also known as the Deadly Art of Illusion so if you find a movie under that title it is FX2.