IMDb > Dying Young (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dying Young

Dying Young More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

my favorite movie in all times

Author: mariemj80 from Sweden
7 November 2005

Since i was 11 years old back in 1991 this movie has been my favorite and I guess it always will be. I just wish I could have this one om DVD cause my tape is running out and are almost not watchable any more. =( I wish everyone would see this amazing film. And see what a great joy it is. Campbell Scott is a beautiful person. And I hope that one day I will be able to meet him. If anyone fells the same way I do please write it down here and tell anyone else so they don't miss this wonderful movie. Leukemia is something that I have been facinated buy ever since I saw this movie and I hope we will find a cure for it soon. Thank you everyone who made this film or my life would not be the same.

Want to feel? Then feel this movie. Sheer Excellence!

Author: Jessica Angel from Australia
2 August 2005

Absolutely amazing, well done on this flick, sheer excellence. Julia Roberts knocks us all for a loop once again with her superior acting. Campbell Scott, brilliant performance, he will have you believing his condition. This may be a chick flick but certainly one that you will not forget. If you have the chance, add this flick to your collection, take it and run. You wont be disappointed with this film. The portrayals of both characters is superbly done. It reaches into your heart and tears it out. If you don't shed a single tear through this film, then you don't have a heart. If a film can move you its worth your time. Get the Kleenex out, you are going to need it. Don't miss this film!!

A raw cow dead is more exciting.

Author: tamimarie228 from Iowa
9 September 2006

Hilary isn't a nurse so she goes to apply for a nursing/care taking position for Victor. Victor is dying of cancer and he needs Hilary to help him get through it. Well, she isn't a nurse but she still gets hired and then they go on a date 20 minutes into the movie. Then they live in a beach house and I think the friendship of this movie is very touching but the romance just doesn't work very well. Victor has a very boring personality. It's like watching Ben Stein when he is really bored.

Then there is this meaningless love triangle which doesn't do much to help the movie. Hilary fights with Victor when he gets sick and I thought that she was his caretaker. Guess not.

It had a good ending because the ending didn't drag on and on- it just ended nicely. I wish they had just a nice friendship, it would been better than a strange maze of graves.

I thought I might Die before it ended...

Author: dwissba from Milwaukee/ United States
4 August 2009

This film might have been better had it tried harder at showing a man fighting heart and soul to beat his cancer. Instead all I got out of it was some whinny self-pitying boob. Julia Roberts plays the part of a woman hired to be a nurse maid to Campbell Scott (as Victor Geddes)as he goes through the agony of blood cancer treatments. Victor Geddes comes from a well to do family with lots of money, and it struck me as strange that the father that hired Julia would not want to find a professional nurse instead of some blue-collar street girl. In any case Victor's cancer goes into remission and then they of course fall in love and head off into the woods. It has all the clichés of any cheesy love story.....Victor's cancer comes back of course and their love is tested but they are strong and he will fight the cancer and win.

This film has 3 parts:

1) Man has cancer--lost in self pity--meets cute blond chick with no knowledge of being a nurse.

2) Mans cancer goes into remission---man and cute blond chick fall in love---run away to the ocean.

3) Cancer comes back---love is tested---end of story.

Painful to watch because of content!

Author: miken-3 (kataman1@verizon.net) from United States
26 January 2005

had a real hard-time viewing this film. It is hard to watch a movie about someone going through chemotherapy. That is why I rated the movie low. If it doesn't bother you, you may give the movie a higher rating. I also was not convinced by Julia Roberts performance and saw no reason for her to gradually fall in love with the gentleman that is going through the ordeal. He seemed to be very obnoxious the whole time!

The scenes where he goes through his painful chemotherapy are very difficult to watch and one wonders why Roberts is willing to stay with him.

If you want to see a really moving story with Julia Roberts about death, I highly recommend the movie Flatliners. Roberts gave a much better performance in that one.

a drama of terminal love

Author: quibus from United States
27 February 2006

A modern opera of love, music and dying. Julia Roberts is as young and beautiful as ever. Campbell Scott dramatizes the physical and psychological effects of chemotherapy on a young man, dying from leukemia, to perfection. I could not think of a better setting than the rocky Pacific coast of Mendocino, California with its melancholic moods and its somewhat eccentric population, to give perspective to the end of this tragic story. The pieces of modern art, shown in this movie, are gorgeous and most appropriate. I am no fan of the saxophone of Kenny G. Give me Ben Webster, Charlie Parker, Gerry Mulligan, Coleman Hawkins or John Coltrane anytime. This is a film for mature audiences. I am afraid that most young people don't relate very well to this kind of story.

Good film that's very romantic, touching, heartwarming, and moving

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
17 November 2005

Julia Roberts and Campbell Scott shine as an aimless young woman and a young man suffering from leukemia. DYING YOUNG is a good film that's very romantic, touching, heartwarming, and moving. It's a love story that ultimately tests the boundaries of true love. The music is good, too, especially "All The Way," which is the song that Victor (Campbell Scott) played at his home at one point in the movie. Also, I thought that he looked good with his hair slicked back at Estelle's (Colleen Dewhurst) Christmas party. In addition, I thought that Hilary (Julia Roberts) looked very beautiful in the long, white dress she wore to Estelle's Christmas party. In conclusion, if you like love stories that are happy and sad at the same time, this is the movie to see. You will really be touched by it.

Good film that's very romantic, touching, heart-warming, and moving

Author: Catherine Grace Zeh (FilmGirlGZ@aol.com) from Vienna, Virginia, USA
15 August 2001

Julia (Roberts) and Campbell (Scott) shine as an aimless young woman and a young man suffering from leukemia. DYING YOUNG is a good film that's very romantic, touching and moving. It's a love story that ultimately tests the boundaries of true love. The music is good, too -- Especially "All The Way," which is the song Victor (Campbell Scott) played at his home at one point in the movie. Also, I thought that he looked good with his hair slicked back at Estelle's (Colleen Dewhurst) Christmas party. Some of my favorite quotes are, "That's all this redhead could find. There's no real food in the house," "No, uh..." "Unless you want a Twinkie omelet." "Ha! Twinkie omelet!" I practically laughed my head off at that! I thought that Hilary (Julia Roberts) looked VERY beautiful in the long, white dress she wore to Estelle's Christmas party. In conclusion, if you like love stories that are happy and sad at the same time, this is the movie to see. You will REALLY be touched by it.

Sweeter than honey. Only for the genre lovers

Author: Ricardo Carranco from México, DF
3 August 1999

Sometimes moving, sometimes slow, this is a classical Julia Roberts movie. If you like the touching movies this is it. A young man has cancer and is condemned to death. A young woman is hired to take care of him and, of course, a romance is on view. You can see how love can make your few last days the best days of your life. Everything the young man does, he does it for her. She dares to love him even knowing he's going to die.

As I said before, nice but a little too sweet, mellow.

I felt like I was dying

Author: hausrathman
20 February 2003

Julia Roberts plays a young, beautiful, working-class woman who is hired to nurse a rich young man, Campbell Scott, who is dying of leukemia. Guess what? They fall in love. This trite, confused, and overly-stylized film, directed by Joel Shumacher, is nothing short of a disaster. There isn't a single genuine or convincing moment in this entire flick, which is really saying something since you'd think they would have hit upon at least one or two by accident. This is undoubtably the worst tear-jerking romance since "Love Story" stank up the screens. The only reason I rate this one film higher than that film is because Julia Roberts is better actress, and nicer on the eyes, than Ali Macgraw, and Julia, thank God, doesn't spend the entire film calling Campbell Scott 'preppy.'

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]