IMDb > The Double Life of Veronique (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
La double vie de Veronique

The Double Life of Veronique More at IMDbPro »La double vie de Veronique (original title)

Page 6 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Beyond Incredible

Author: Aaron White from Philadelphia
10 April 2015

I love this film. It's the work of a true master filmmaker and it's a masterpiece. Irene Jacobs is perfect in her two roles. Her performance is truly flawless. Everything about this film is beautiful. Just the fact it exists is beautiful. The fact that it happened. Krzysztof Kieslowski made one of cinemas most important films ever. I really wonder what would have came next after the following Three Colors trilogy. This film will continue to inspire me for the rest of my life. I'm taking it to the grave. I love this film on a personal level and I pretty much think anyone with a soul would. Those who agree with me should understand how masterful this film is.

The Fourth Color: Gold

Author: xtian_durden from Philippines
1 April 2015

Krzysztof Kieslowski loves to delve in the idea of chance versus fate versus free will. The Double Life of Veronique is a haunting musical epiphany and with such visual poetry, it is filled with symbolism, some frank eroticism, and a slight dark humor. Kieslowski loves to filter colors to have an effect on his films, if it was part of his Three Colors Trilogy, it would've been "Gold". The photography was nostalgic, the lighting gives different shades on different moods of the characters. Irene Jacobs was enigmatic and sensual in her role as Weronika and Veronique. The story is simple, but there is more than the plot here, Kieslowski is more concerned in the visual rhyme, and his mystical narration of the story. He kind of connect the whole film together with strings but still leaves it like a scattered puzzle, it encourages uncertainty, and that is what I really liked about it. It leaves us with haunting questions that remains for us to answer, maybe in our own lives, rather than making us a complacent viewer that understands everything about the film and the world. I admire how Kieslowski made the film a reflection on the possibilities that the film indicates a reality beyond physical mundane lives. This film is both delicate and mysterious. I'd love to watch it again anytime, in a calmer and peaceful place with a cup of coffee at my hand.

Art in its maximum expression

Author: inioi from Spain
20 September 2014

Music, image and script combines to offer a very personal work.

The film transcends the usual conventions. Do not waste time with unnecessary dramas or unrealistic love stories, and shows us something very unusual: the feminine inner world, subtle perceptions, intuition, omens, strange coincidences...

The unspoken moments in the film reveals an intimate atmosphere along the dreamlike and sensual photography.

Irene Jacob does an amazing job so natural that it is.

Also highlight the music, as in the trilogy BLUE, RED AND WHITE

It is a movie to let go,see it without preconceived ideas.

Author: Armand from Romania
13 December 2013

Kieslowski in pure form. same search of characters. same need of roots. and a beautiful performance of Irene Jacob, part of Three colors chain. a film about existence like a watercolor painting. or a porcelain doll. a life. a border. and the way to yourself. at first sigh, a verdict from many, a film about nothing. in essence, like each Kieslowski movie, a portrait of deep rooms of viewer soul. an exercise of honesty. who has the charm of childhood story, the force of answer of maturity, delicacy of wisdom of old age . it is only a great movie for its director precise art of transfigure ordinary pieces of everyday life.and for the feel of travel. in a world who can be not only real but a slide from yourself.

A unique experience

Author: aaskillz69 from United States
9 October 2013

So i was very interested in seeing this movie, what first made me interested in seeing the movie was the fact that it was directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski, the director of the well known Three Color: Trilogy, which i really like, i had also seen another movie of his,A Short Film About Love, so i had liked what i had seen from him, certainly not mainstream stuff, but very interesting work. Another reason was the fact that this was his first collaboration with Irène Jacob who later appeared in his masterpiece Three Colors: Red. So yeah i wanted to see their first collaboration. My expectations i would say were not big, because i had heard that many people did not get the movie, but i hoped for the best.

The Double Life of Veronique is directed and written by Krzysztof Kieslowski and it stars Irène Jacob, Wladyslaw Kowalski and Halina Gryglaszewska. And i got to say that my biggest fear has come true, because i cant understand not in a whole what this movie is about. The movie follows two identical Veroniques, born on the same day - one Polish, one French, both with an identical heart condition and the same great operatic singing voice,both look like each other, they are like separated twins.

We never really truly understand the connection between the two Veronique's they both look the same, the same thing is happening to both, and they feel something that they cant describe, they never feel alone, they always in a way feel each other.

Its weird because i cant say that i disliked the movie, and i don't understand much of what happens, at times i felt like i was under a spell, very weird felling, some scenes are almost hypnotizing. Because of Kieslowski visual beauty, the yellows and oranges on screen perfect, but also because of Irène Jacob, she is amazing. The luminous Irène Jacob does wonders with her difficult double role as Veronika/Véronique, which requires her presence in nearly every frame of film. Guided by the sure hand of Kieslowski, Jacob projects an authentic goodness and innocence, coupled with a palpable sensuality and sensitivity. And this seems effortless. And to think that Andie MacDowell was almost cast to be in the movie, No way she would had been as great as Irène.

While watching it i was amazed by the visual beauty that once again Kieslowski managed to put on screen, by the charming star that Irène Jacob is on screen, but after the movie ended, the movie left me with questions lots of them, it left me confused.

I think Kieslowski wanted us to end the puzzle by ourselves the thing is that he doesn't give enough pieces, maybe the puzzle just cant be done, and in film i like to finish my puzzle. Rating:B

Underseen Masterpiece

Author: Bruno Youn from São Paulo, Brazil
3 October 2013

The Double Life of Véronique is the most sensorial and spiritual experience I've had in a while and I was completely astonished by every single frame of this film. It has a very unique visual style, which encompasses interesting distorted shots and several colorful scenes that looked vibrant and gorgeous. Also, the music in this film is beautiful and very emotional, serving as a powerful companion piece to the more dramatic moments. I was always fascinated by the symbolisms and how ambiguous the characters were here. The story is essentially about these two people who feel they are somehow connected with each other's lives in an intimate but elusive way. It's just incredible how it approaches so profoundly themes like duplicity, fatherhood, the despair and regret of losing that strong bond forever and finally death.

Irène Jacob was magnificent as Weronika / Véronique, genuinely demonstrating the subtle differences between these two women she portrays. While Weronika is cheerful, focused and ethereal, Véronique is a more practical, sensuous individual who is easily influenced and manipulated by the people that surround her. Seeing these differences is crucial to have a better understanding of how the actions they take affect the course of their lives and how Véronique feels about herself by the end of the film.

The Double Life of Véronique is only my first contact with Krzysztof Kieślowski's work and it's already become one of my absolute favorites of all time! Next stop: The Three Colors trilogy.

It has an effect for everybody in some way.

Author: Alex Harsanyi from Hungary
12 September 2013

This film just inspired me to watch more older films. In the summer i was in a Christian camp where they showed the main scene (for me it is) when Alexandre Fabbri is playing with the marionette ballerina. When I arrived home I immediately started searching for this film and finally i found it! It took me 3 days to watch it. This became my favorite film of all my life. There are scenes and quotes that mean so much to me. I feel I am not the only one with this feeling because as I can see, there are events that are alternative, and has effects that are different for you and your friends either.What is the most interesting thing what i've ever seen/heard? There is only one music in the film and makes you happy or sad depending on the scene. The cameraman's work is excellent too! :) I absolutely would nominate this for Golden Globe of all times.

"Cinematic, cinematographic, psychological and lyrical..."

Author: Sindre Kaspersen from Norway
3 May 2013

Polish screenwriter and director Krzysztof Kieslowski's ninth feature film which he co-wrote with Polish screenwriter Krzysztof Piesiewicz, premiered In competition at the 44th Cannes International Film Festival in 1991, was shot on location in France and Poland and is a France-Poland-Norway co-production which was produced by producer Leonardo De La Fuente. It tells the story about and educated singer and pianist named Weronika who lives in an apartment in Poland and who is in a relationship with a man named Antek. After experiencing a feeling of not being alone which she is instigated to act upon, Weronika travels to Krakow where her aunt lives and when she gets there she notices a woman whom she has never seen before and who bears a striking resemblance to herself.

Distinctly and subtly directed by Polish filmmaker Krzysztof Kieslowski, this finely tuned fictional tale which is narrated mostly from the two main character's point of view, draws a virtuous portrayal of the life of a Polish woman named Weronika and a French woman named Veroniqué who are identical and who one day coincidentally or determined by destiny crosses paths. While notable for it's naturalistic and atmospheric milieu depictions, distinct production design by production designer Patrice Mercier, cinematography by polish cinematographer Slawomir Idziak, costume design by costume designers Laurence Brignon, Claudy Fellous and Elzbieta Radke, fine editing by French film editor Jacques Witta and use of colors and light, this character-driven and narrative-driven story where the director could focus more on the cinematic aspects of his film and less on the political which was characteristic in many of his previous productions due to the political situation in his country, depicts two interrelated and empathic studies of character and contains a great score by Polish composer Zbigniew Preisner.

This dramatic, literary, somewhat surreal, romantic and humanistic drama from the early 1990s about identity and faith which is the last feature film Krzysztof Kieslowski made before ending his career with the Three Colours trilogy which consisted of "Blue" (1993), "White" (1994) and "Red" (1994) and which is set in the capital city of France and the capital city of Poland in the early 1990s and where a music teacher for children named Veroniqué who lives in France experiences a feeling of being alone, is impelled and reinforced by it's brilliant narrative structure, substantial character development, subtle continuity, interrelated stories, endearing characters, poetic scenes and the memorable acting performance by French actress Irène Jacob. A cinematic, cinematographic, psychological and lyrical mystery which gained, among numerous other awards, the FIPRESCI Prize Krzysztof Kieslowski, the Prize of the Ecumenical Jury and the award for Best Actress Irène Jacob at the 44th Cannes Film Festival in 1991.

Author: levelllll5
2 May 2013

"All my life I've felt like I was here and somewhere else at the same time"

Weronika lives in Poland. She lost her mother as a kid. She has a gift for music, and especially singing. She likes to apply a golden ring around her eye. She runs a lot. She is always breathless because of a heart defect that she is unaware of. She is searching for love. Veronique lives in France. She lost her mother as a kid. She has a gift for music, and she teaches it to young children. She likes to apply a golden ring around her eye. She runs a lot. She is always breathless because of a heart defect that has just been found out. She is searching for love. Weronika sees Véronique in Krakow, the city she lives in. She stops in the middle of a place crowded with people demonstrating and riot squads. Her alter ego is getting on a bus which will take her back to France. Before the bus leaves, Véronique has time to take pictures of the place and of Weronika, but she does not see her. During the first half-hour of the film, the subjective shots which represent Weronika's vision are unsteady, the fisheye angle twists the perspectives, until Weronika herself collapses, on the stage, among the music instruments and in front of the audience, in the middle of a song. After Weronika's death, we follow Véronique. She is making love with a man, and, right after it, she feels an immense sadness. She says to her lover « It's as if I were grieving » but she is unable to explain why. She decides to give up on the concert she was preparing, the same concert, we can imagine, during which Weronika died. Véronique follows her intuition, and Weronika's death prevents her from dying herself. In the school where Véronique teaches, a man manipulates puppets for the children. He makes the puppet die and become a sort of angel. Later on, Vétonique receives an anonymous phone call, then she gets a lace in the mail, and then an audio tape thanks to which she finds the place from where the anonymous man sends his objects to her. She finds him in a bar in the Gare Saint Lazare in Paris. She recognizes the puppeteer. In a hotel, after they have made love, and confessed their love, she empties her purse on the bed because he wants to know her better. He looks at the photos she took during her trip in Eastern Europe. He says that she is pretty on the pictures. She notices Weronika for the first time. She starts to cry. Weeks, maybe months later, she wakes up in the middle of the night and finds her lover making a second puppet of herself. She asks why he made two puppets of her, and he says that it is because they get damaged. She manipulates one puppet, while the other is lying motionless. The puppeteer reads to her the first version of a tale he is writing about two women on two different continents who are in fact two versions of the same person. This focus on the puppets reminded me of an essay written by Furio Jesi on Rilke's poetry. Jesi writes: the doll, in its form, tragically announces to men that it is her, not them, who will survive in the Infinite. ». To me, the puppets are a reminder of the fate that awaits Véronique as well, that is death. The two women will disappear in death but the two puppets will remain. There is a very important dreamlike dimension in the film which features a dwarf who is also a lawyer, an old exhibitionnist, conversations of secondary characters with no beginning and no end, a subjective shot of the dead Weronika being buried. The film is also very poetic. I think of two shots in particular: the two versions of the old lady crossing the screen, and the image of the old church reflected backwards in a plastic ball. To appreciate this film, you need to get rid of the need to understand and analyze everything, and accept the absurd side of reality. My sister saw the film with me, and at one point she said: « there is something in this film that is us. » That « something » can be defined as the atmosphere, the setting, the green and red colors. the light. Kieslowski's movie addresses that part of our brain that is the center of our emotions, of our sensations, and of the memories of those sensations. It remains with us like an old dream that we had forgotten.

It Makes You Feel

Author: brtndr from United States
16 August 2012

It makes you feel like you've fallen asleep and entered into someone else's surrealistic dream world. Fortunately, there are two beautiful young women Veronique and Veronicka (both played by Irene Jacobs) who are at the center of that alien dream world you've entered into. And, you are just as engaged in the lives of the two woman as you would be if your own life was passing before your eyes.

The two lives of Veronique and Veronicka reflect each other, but are only subconsciously aware of it, which is eerie in its very nature. Two people who have two entirely different lives, obviously destined to never really meet, but unexpectedly spot each other across a crowded court yard one day. The experience briefly hypnotically paralyzes them both as they stare in amazement at the sight of one another. A moment that appears to confirm for both woman what they've always felt, but could never bring themselves to believe until then.

This encounter between the two ends as quickly as it accidentally occurred, and they continue on with their separate lives without ever really acknowledging the entire breadth and depth of their shared accidental encounter. However, after the experience neither one of them are the same physically or emotionally again.

There is so much going on both visually and emotionally in the film which makes 'The Double Life of Veronique' one of the most worthy films for endless coffee house discussions and analysis. A highly recommended A+ excellent foreign movie that you'll enjoy discussing for hours afterwards with cinema enthusiast. Perhaps, while enjoying a cup of Mocha Espresso with a dollop of milk?

Page 6 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]