IMDb > Raise the Red Lantern (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Da hong deng long gao gao gua

Raise the Red Lantern More at IMDbPro »Da hong deng long gao gao gua (original title)

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The fate of three loving women

Author: andré grisell (qcw832q@tninet.se) from Stockholm, Sweden
8 June 1999

This film is a display of art by straight lines, red colors and architecture. This is what impresses a lot of viewers (and me too). But I would like to add another aspect, the genuine tragedy of three women carrying love, illusions, passions and expectations. The sad fate of Songlian touches everyone today, yet only a century ago this was reality in most of the world. This film shows culture and traditions very little known to us (in the Western World), and still there is the universal problem of equality for women. That's why the story of Songlian's maid, Nan'er, affected me even more. Not only was she a woman, but a servant to another woman; the lower of the lowest. The scene where Songlian unveils her in her apartment and the subsequent quarrel is one of the most touching film scenes I know. The character of the third wife is ambiguous. Having regained the husband's approval, and dating another man, she can't conceal her jealousy towards Songlian. Jealousy for what reason? 'Raise the red lantern' is a document of a time and a culture forgotten by most, but, as other events in history, has to be reminded of.

Yimou Zhang & Li Gong equals much pleasure

Author: lastliberal from United States
17 February 2008

This Oscar-nominated film which was the favorite of many film critics represents the eighth collaboration between Yimou Zhang (Hero, House of Flying Daggers, Curse of the Golden Flower) and Li Gong (Miami Vice, 2046, Zhou Yu's Train). They make an incredible team and this is an incredible movie.

It provides an inside look at Chinese custom as four wives fight for the right to have the lanterns lit at their house each night representing whom the Master will sleep with. There are really only three, as the Master is not going to choose old wife number one.

Wife number three is a former opera singer and a diva that pouts when not selected, even though she has a backup plan or two. Wife number two is devious and uses others to get what she wants.

But, this is about wife number four, who had to become a concubine after the death of her father. It is a magnificent performance by Li Gong and the costuming and set decoration serve to enhance her incredible beauty.

I never tire of watching her and can never tore of watching any Yimou Zhang film.

Masterfully written and beautifully filmed

Author: Harrison from United States
16 June 2006

"Raise the Red Lantern" is not the first Chinese film I have seen, but I think it certainly ranks in the highest echelons of foreign films. The depth - and psychological terror - of the film makes it a classic in my opinion.

Songlian - a university student 1920's China - is thrown into a marriage with "the master," a polygamist who already has three wives. The competition for the master's attention (and the privileges that come with it) are the sole focus of the wives. Songlian is the only wife that has been educated... and has known what is to be "free." In the constricted, feudal environment of the Master's palatial house, Zhang Yimou shows Songlian's physical and psychological imprisonment in a "gilded cage."

The most horrific thing about this movie is the fact that, in 20s era China, something like this could conceivably happen. The way Zhang Yimou gradually unwinds the story, with sumptuous colors and the incredibly believable acting of Gong Li and the rest of the cast, is beautiful and has a depth that most Hollywood movies lack.

Very beautiful film

Author: jenweeks21 from Austin, TX
24 August 2003

This film is absolutely gorgeous. Its not necessarily the type of movie I would have rented on my own though, I was actually forced to watch it in my english class in 10th grade. A few years later, I saw it at Blockbuster, rented it, and saw exactly why it was a great movie, and its still in the top 5 of my favorite movies.

Set in 1920's China, the story is about Songlian, a 19 year old university student who decides to marry a rich, older man after the death of her father. She moves into his large "court" and becomes his Fourth Mistress. She has a servant named Yan'er, who is in love with the Master, and is also the "evil doer" of someone of who is trying to sabotage the appearance of Songlian. When the Master decides that he would like to spend the night with one of his 4 mistresses, each one is called to a long hall, and a red lantern is placed in front of them, and then lanterns are hung, lit, and the mistress may have anything she desires for dinner, and gets to spend the night with the Master. This does not suit Songlian very well. We see that she has some sort of feeling for the Master, but after the First Sister's (they refer to each other as sisters) son, Feipu, comes along, she seems to lose interest in the Master.

Songlian befriends Meishan, the Third Sister (a former opera singer) and sees just how far deceit can go in this "happy household." I dont want to give anything away for first time viewers because the ending is a shocker. I give this movie a 9 out of 10 mainly because there are a few slow parts in the beginning. I wouldnt classify this film as being artsy, but it is definately beautiful and was written very well. This deserved its Oscar Nod back in 1991.

A Game of Light

Author: kurosawakira from Onomichi, 1953
12 January 2014

Zhang Yimou's film "Da hong deng long gao gao gua" (1991) has become one of my few safehavens: a film I retreat to when I return from my film adventures and long for refreshment.

What I like the most is how this is shot, that is, With such discipline: the shots are highly symmetrical, either horizontally or in depth, and often than not in depth. It's amazing, and shows what three-dimensional filmmaking really is all about. I talk of discipline, since they could have shot each scene the ordinary way, going far closer than they do, but instead they step back and let the space of the place suck you in. This creates a wonderful sense of loneliness in the context of the film, and the closeups then have added power.

Speaking of which, this has somewhat ousted another architecturally brilliant film from the same year (1991), just as radical if not more in its use of space, but a lot tougher to sit through.

The same with sound: the contrapuntal dance of sounds and silence, just like that of long shots and closeups, beautifully emphasizes the few important motifs that the soundscape offers us.

But the riches of the film far transcend only the technical, no matter how reinvigorating and masterful they be. Songlian's marriage, as demonstrated by the first scene, is actually an act of rebellion towards her mother and the values her mother represents. Dramaturgically there is an unexpected symmetry there, since when she gets to the house, she finds that all the women do just that, rebel and play the game with far greater ruthlessness than her.

Indeed, the film plays out just like a game of light. The lanterns are lit, they change houses, with it all the perceived authorial power in the game (I think this aspect is occasionally misinterpreted as melodrama). But it wouldn't have worked without Gong Li, who is lovable, beautiful and subtle enough so that in the end we start reading our own projections and assumption on her face.

As far as I know, there isn't a decent Blu-ray of the film in existence. I own a French Blu-ray, which is unfortunately not of a very good quality, and might pose problems for people who don't know French (or Mandarin!), since it's the only subtitle option available.

The Perfect Depiction of Competition and Deception

Author: Pat M from Philippines
9 April 2013

Raise the Red Lantern is one of the best Chinese movies I have seen. The acting is so realistic, the time and location is historic and exotic, and the colors and music is just luscious. On top of that is the story line which is tragic yet beautiful.

This movie is the perfect depiction of competition and deception. Those who you think of as friends are actually your enemies. Those closest to you will betray you. Those that you cannot stand might as well be your closest allies. And in the end, are all the layers of deception and pointless competition really worth it?

I really recommend this film. The pace might be a bit slow, but it perfectly fits the mood of the movie and it gives you time to think about what happens next.

Beautiful to look at and engrossing plot

Author: primona from United States
12 February 2013

This beautifully made film ranks high among my list of favorite movies. One reason is because of its film star, Li Gong, who I loved in Ju Dou, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Curse of the Golden Flower. The second reason is because of Director Yimou Zhang who directed Ju Dou, Hero, House of the Flying Daggers, and Curse of the Golden Flower, all films that should be on your IMDb watchlist if you haven't seen them. The third reason is the exquisite writing and plot. The film is about 19 year old Songlian (Li Gong) whose family falls on hard times after the death of her father. She marries into the wealthy Chen family and becomes the fourth wife of Master Chen. The competition for his attention and affection among the wives is fierce. This is because the Master decides on a daily basis which wife he will spend the night with. Whomever he chooses gets her lanterns lit and special treatment including a foot massage, her choice of food at mealtime, and the most attention and respect from the servants. The first wife is routinely passed over so the other wives ignore her but the remaining wives hate each other and resort to trickery and backstabbing. The unhealthy environment leads to tragedy.

This film is one that will have you continuing to look at the screen five minutes after it has ended. The wonderfully rich colors shown in the movie are in sharp contrast to the dark, depressing life of Songlian who once dreamed of a happy life before being forced into marriage

Mr. Yimou's use of colour is unmatched!

Author: worst-nightmare13 from Muscat, Oman
17 October 2012

It's no secret that Zhang Yimou directs some of the beautiful movies in cinema history. His extensive and vivid use of colour is gorgeous. More than 10 years before he directed his modern-classics, Hero and House of Flying Daggers, Raise the Red Lantern was there. The film has a simple storyline, a restricted location and a great cinematography. Oh, and it also employs beautiful use of colour. Sometimes I think Zhang Yimou is a product of an explosion in a colour factory.

Raise the Red Lantern quite literally pits 4 women against each other and the film observes enviness, jealousy, hatred, anger, love & sorrow. Also, to some extend, Totalitarianism. Every woman wants to be the top mistress in front of the master and wants the red lanterns hung in front of their house. The 4th Mistress quickly catches the eye of her personal maid, Ya'ver, the 3rd Mistress & the 2nd Mistress. One thing leads to another and the 3rd Mistress ends up dead, the maid ends up dead, and the 4th Mistress goes insane, causing The Master to marry once more. Enter 5th Mistress, but thank goodness the film ends there, because another 2 hours would've been hectic. Not that I would've minded it, but enough is enough! I think the appropriate title should've been Personality Clash or This is how Women silently kill each other, or something like that.

The pacing of the film is good. The slow and smooth camera movements did the trick. Red Lantern also employs repetition and I think it was a good move. It kept reminding us of what we're watching and what the film's story is all about. Unlike Hero or House of Flying Daggers which were clearly story-driven, this film was more character-and-music driven. The heavy metal? background music was awesome and I think it perfectly matches the mood and characteristics of the film and the women, respectively.

From the performances, Gong-Li had the upper-hand, while He Caifi was just a rung below, but both were amazing in their characters. They both, out of all, portrayed the frustration, the anger, the hidden hatred, and then a sudden affection for each other, almost perfectly. The film was entirely on their shoulders and both handled the weight flawlessly!

My ending note will be: Not just a great film. A landmark film! It has characters which are divided in two: Either you end up hating them, or loving them. A quite-powerful film that demands a repeat!

A bird trapped in a cage

Author: Champcai from China
19 July 2012

The film itself is quite perfect in most aspects. The story is a replica of a feudal society family in old China. It tells a story of a young student who is forced to drop out of university and marry a wealthy business man due to poor economic reasons. What is worse, she is the fourth wife.

The casting is also fabulous to include Gong Li and even the male protagonist who never reveals his face during the whole film is a very professional actor.

The description of atmosphere is another thing that is adding colors. It is very oppressive living in such a yard isolated with the outside world. The silence of the yard, the red lanterns which are strong in symbolism both escalate exquisiteness of the film.

The husband, the four wives and the servants living in the yard is a miniature of feudal society which is full of power, status, deceit and conspiracy.Songlian thinks she is educated and different from the the rest of family. Actually, she is not. The power of the surrounding environment is so overwhelming that she unconsciously turns into one member of them as she gradually gets used to the life there.

In the end, she becomes crazy for seeing the third wife killed; however, the story is unfinished with the coming of another prospective victim, the fifth wife.

Film review of Raise The Red Lantern

Author: wenxin5767 from New Zealand
12 September 2010

Film review

The film Raise The Red Lantern is one of the most famous film of Yimou Zhang. It is a successful film. Under the rule of polygamy, the film narrated a tragic story. All the concubines live in a big house, the relationship between these concubines are not good, it bring a lot of strife openly and secretly. Song Lian is the main character of the film, the actress (Gong Li) made a perfect performance. The director Yimou Zhang used the simple scene and language to show viewers a shocking story, and also criticize the rotten old society. I think that the film have a lot of mentionable aspects.

First of all, the film is full of Chinese characteristics. In the film, the traditional thought (Confucianism) showed in some plots. The steward always mentioned that all of people should obey the old rules. All the four concubines wanted to have a son. In ancient China, man have important position in a family. All the women should be compliant and loyal to their husband, or they will be punished. The third concubine was hang because of her disloyalty. The whole messuage likes a society, all the people are influenced by old rules, the patriarchy is entrenched. Besides, the costume of the film is filled with traditional element, the messuage is also Chinese outdatedbuilding. The music of the film used a lot of blow and beat mode. In addition, the third concubine performs the Beijing opera, which is traditional Chinese culture.

Secondly, I want to say the character of the film and the stage set are well-designed. Especially the role of Song Lian, she is an undergraduate, so she has new ideas in that age. Because of that, in the film, Song Lian did not sit bridal sedan chair, took the luggage by herself, and did not like foot massage. However, as the time going, she became a depraved person. The design of this character highlight the feudal thought has huge influence in that period, even though the educated undergraduate also cannot escape its influence. In addition, the first wife is an old woman, the second concubine is a deceitful person, the third concubine is a singer of drama. These four women have different backgrounds and personalities, these arrangements enrich the storyline. What's more, there are many detailed design about stage set. The four women have different designs of room. The first wife is an old woman, so her boudoir is dark, the furniture is old, and the clothing is fuscous. The third concubine is a singer of Beijing opera, thus her room is full of dramatic element.

Thirdly, I think the film has ingenious narrative approach and good foreshadowing. Director made use of the four seasons (summer, autumn, winter, spring) to narrate a whole story. It is simple and clear, but it is quite impressive. The beginning of the film is the dialogue between Song Lian and stepmother, the last words of Song Lian said: "woman is just like that", and then there are two lines of tears on her face. This scene let audience know the film is about the tragedy of woman. It is also a good foreshadowing for the following story. Besides, the word conflict between Song Lian and Yan'er is also an important foreshadowing for the succedent things.

Fourthly, I think the use of long shot, close-up and music make the film more resultful. At the beginning of the film, there is a close-up on Song Lian for a few minutes. With the background of white window, the atmosphere has sense of loneliness and futureless. Director used a lot of long shot and close-up on red lantern, it work in concert with the title of film. In the film, master is a lightspot, as he never has full-face shot. Director through words embody the existence of master. Although we cannot see the face of master completely, the role of master fully reflect the patriarchy, he is a marblehearted people. This is a deliberate arrangement, it can serve as a foil to the dark of feudalism. In this film, a large amount of music is dramatic music. This can reflect the epitasis and the depressive atmosphere of the big house. The sound of foot massage is gripping, the singing of the Mei Shan (the third concubine) is bleak. The combination between lens shift and music make the character and atmosphere very dismal.

Finally, I feel the scene of the film is exquisite, it is cinematography. The red lantern plays an important role. When the servants kindle the lanterns, the whole surroundings are full of vitality. However, when the servants extinguish the red lanterns, the whole environment is hopeless and tenebrous. This contrast further highlights the theme of the film. In addition, the scene of the four seasons is true to nature. Especially in winter, the landscape is beautiful, it is like a perfect picture.

In a word, the film is well worth seeing. The story, the shoot, the costume, stage set and the music are all art. The film Raise The Red Lantern is a classic work.

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]