IMDb > Raise the Red Lantern (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Da hong deng long gao gao gua

Raise the Red Lantern More at IMDbPro »Da hong deng long gao gao gua (original title)

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Subtitler of Incredible Power

Author: secragt from United States
10 October 2003

Good movies sweep you away in exotic and convincing landscapes you've never seen or conceived of before. The best movies create new rules to go with this new universe and integrate the two with an internal logic which opens doors to corridors of perception and possibility in your own mind. RAISE THE RED LANTERN is one of the latter for me. It's one of the best foreign films I think I'll probably ever see.

As an American with very little background in 1920s China, I was immediately immersed in the totally new setting. The devious characters and surprisingly slippery plot soon similarly captured my imagination. Almost entirely a one-set production, RAISE THE RED LANTERN's claustrophobia is appropriate to the similarly stifled life of the protagonist. The characterizations of the four mistress rivals are all fascinating and disarming; none of these women are quite what they appear to be, but they are all consistent. Fascinating to watch, the strange camraderie between the four rivals for their master's affections is a testament to their isolation and loneliness, which their master seems to rely on. Obviously the social politics of marriage and the sexes aren't very different anywhere in the world, though some of the Chinese customs might appear to be.

I don't want to spoil any of the surprises so I'll close by saying that this film is accessible for anyone. Although it does have the seeming liabilities of being a costumed period piece, subtitled and ostensibly a chick flick given it's clearly female-skewed POV, this is still surprisingly mainstream, especially if you have any interest in a culture outside your own. Even if you're not interested in broadening your horizons, I suspect it will be of value for the light it sheds on the way women think. Deeply moving and thought-provoking, RAISE THE RED LANTERN is an eye-opener. It doesn't always make you feel warm inside, but you will feel something, and it will be real. 10 / 10.

poignant and beautiful

Author: studentgrant75 from United States
7 January 2010

I will be thinking about this movie for a long time. It is one of the visually most beautiful movies I have ever seen. The acting and plot and dialogue are all top notch. I'm talking myself into giving it 10/10.

The protagonist genuinely develops as the film progresses and your views on each of the main characters continually shifts. One of the most powerful elements is that you do feel pity for the protagonist even after her petulant and vindictive behavior.

The title of the movie appeared very odd to me. Probably the most apt title of any film as the weary rituals of the ancient household form more and more meaning. The symbolism of raising the red lantern is the soul of the picture. It represents the total power of the polygamist over his harem.

Spoiler: One of the most interesting displays of this dichotomy between the power of the men and women that the man is having an affair. But when discovered nothing happens. He is already legitimately sleeping with 4 women. When wife number three is caught the penalty is death. I also loved the little power the women enjoyed: whomever has the lantern may set the menu. Our protagonist decides that what is happening is beneath humanity and would rather die than be part of it.

The film feels slow burning but the intensity builds and builds as layers are added to the plot and each character. For a fan of foreign cinema: unmissable.

Exotic and hopeless; how does one describe great sadness?

Author: Terrell-4 from San Antonio, Texas
10 May 2008

Can inevitable and hopeless sadness ever be adequately described? Maybe, but not, I think, by amateur film enthusiasts or any but a few professional critics, and only then if they can tame their professional enthusiasms, can write well and know when to stop. That leaves out, among us amateurs, nearly all of us. As for the professionals, I've read only two or three commentaries by professional film critics that I think do justice to Raise the Red Lantern. Partly, this is due to the utterly foreign, cloistered culture we're observing. Partly, it's due to the intense but withheld emotions and motivations we gradually become aware of. Mainly, I think, it's due to the fact that deep sadness simply can't be adequately described, and the more we try, the less we convey.

Songlian (Gong Li), a 19-year-old student in 1920 China, must leave college when her father dies. Her stepmother arranges for her to marry a rich man as a fourth "wife." From then, Songlian's life, everything, depends on the attention she will receive from this man we scarcely see. The first mistress is middle-aged, serene and cool. The second is attractive and appears sympathetic and friendly. The third is young, beautiful and intensely jealous that Songlian may replace her as the most favored by Master Chen. Each has a maid. The servants reflect the attitudes of those they serve, but above all else, they reflect their roles in the Master's house. Again and again we return to an overhead shot that shows us where the universe begins and ends for Songlian...a stone courtyard with stone buildings on either side and the entrance at the end of the courtyard leading up low stairs to where Songlian now will live. When the Master intends to visit one of the wives for the night, it is the custom that the servants ceremoniously raise red lanterns outside the apartment of the favored wife.

And this is all that their lives...and now, Songlian's life...consists of. There is no outside world, only their duty to serve the Master and to follow the customs of the Chen family, which goes back generations. If the red lantern is raised frequently outside Songlian's doorway, a servant tells her, she will soon be running the establishment. The other wives know this. Songlian is educated, sullen and resentful. She may realize that she must establish herself in the favor of the Master and find her place in the world of the wives, but we realize she may not have the guile needed. The intensity of establishing and maintaining "place" means resentments and betrayals. There can be no friendships. Songlian does not play this game well. Songlian's life eventually becomes as desolate as the cold snow that drifts down into the courtyard.

Raise the Red Lantern is a gorgeous movie, as are most of Yimou Zhang's films. The seasons change from spring to summer to fall and to winter. We keep returning to Songlian and to the view of the courtyard, but we also see out over what seems the endless tile roofs of the Master's mansion. High on the roof is a small stone shed that is kept locked and which, it is whispered, had something to do with a former wife.

At first the stone exteriors seem small and the interiors seem to go on and on. We see Songlian dressed lavishly to await the Master's visits. We see ornate furniture, wall scrolls, braziers against the chill and the red lanterns. We seldom see tears. Raise the Red Lantern is no tragedy, but it is a kind of slow-playing, hopeless melodrama. It is a reserved world where for these four women and their servants, everything depends on the Master. For Songlian, everything depends on her willingness to bend completely to this life from which she cannot leave, and to accept that there can be no relief from the need to scheme and plot to maintain a position against the other wives. To befriend can lead to betrayal. To sympathize can lead to rejection. To let slip a secret can lead to death. The customs of the ancient Chen family must be honored and followed, and can be cruel. To serve the Master whenever he wishes, with skill and charm, and to bear him a son, is what life has become, and there is no escape. The Master's life goes on. Our last view of Songlian is in the courtyard, in winter, wandering.

Anyone who reads this should shake their head and wonder what all the fuss is about. Get the movie and watch it, then you try to describe it. You'll feel inadequate.

Incredibly Memorable

Author: Rachel from United States
9 August 2006

This movie was amazing. I can't even remember the first time I saw it, but I was about seven or eight. I scarcely understood the deeper complications of the story, but it moved me, even then, and even though it was in a language completely foreign to me. The tension between the wives is always intriguing, and I enjoy watching it every time. Seriously, if a seven-year-old remembered the name of a foreign, subtitled film for more than a decade, and STILL enjoyed it when she saw it later, I think most people would get at least a smidgen of enjoyment from this movie. (note: this movie is not necessarily appropriate for seven-year-old's. watch it, then use your best judgment.)

We are all the Master's Robes

Author: Meganeguard from Kansas
30 August 2005

Set in 1920s China, Raise the Red Lantern begins with a close-up of Songlian's face. Harassed by her stepmother to get married for over three days, Songlian finally consents. When asked whom will she marry, Songlian answers that she will marry a rich man. The stepmother then intones that if she marries a rich man then she will be nothing more than a concubine. Songlian answers that it matters little.

Dressed in her university clothes, Songlian makes her way to the family compound of the Chen family where she is installed as the Fourth Mistress. Only nineteen-years-old, Songlian looks to be several years, by two, three, or four decades, younger than the first mistress. Who Songlian states must be one hundred years old. The Third Mistress, a former opera singer, is quite aloof and avoids making contact with Songlian. The only mistress Songlian seems to be able to get along with is the Second Mistress, a pleasant faced older woman.

Within the environs of the family compound there are a number of rules. Besides small things like the specific table where the family sits for meals and pregnancy rituals, several red lanterns illuminate the Mistress's rooms where the Master will sleep the night and the Mistress of said rooms will receive a foot massage given by the skillful Auntie Cao. While the lanterns and foots massages seem inconsequential, one of the mistresses informs Songlian that if one goes without a foot massages for three day, i.e. the Master does not pay her a visit, the servants begin treating her differently. Also, the owner of the room where the lanterns were illuminated the night before can also chose specified meals.

It is within this environment that Songlian has come to live. Seemingly hated by the Third Mistress and even her own maidservant Yan'er, Songlian, who was attending a University until her father died, finds herself tangled in a system of tradition where backstabbing is the rule of the game. However, Songlian is not scared to attack back even at the risk of the safety of others.

Played by the stunning Gong Li, Songlian comes off as a strong, intelligent young woman who is unfortunately ensnared in a less than ideal situation. While living in luxury, one can sense the boredom she must feel. Seemingly imprisoned in her rooms, Songlian is not even able to keep a flute, an heirloom of her father's, because Master Chen is worried that it was a gift from a boy at Songlian's university.

Like other Zhang Yimou films, Raise the Red Lantern is a visual delight. Set entirely within the environs of the Chen compound, one can see a cinematic glimpse into the lives of the Chinese privileged during the 1920s. While quite different than the Su Tong novella on which it was based, there were no red lanterns and the First Mistress's son had a special friend, Raise the Red Lantern is quite an experience that was filmed during the height of the Zhang Yimou/Gong Li collaboration.

Bhavachakra (Wheel of Becoming)

Author: chaos-rampant from Greece
18 January 2016

This is a fascinating movie that you deserve to see mindfully. Zhang truly does it, in that he both gives us a clear picture whereby we can see ourselves with clarity and allows our gaze to wonder outside the walls of that picture. A fascinating interplay between these two notions of concentrating the gaze and letting float just so happens to power Chinese spiritual life, more on this in a bit.

But now quickly to see what is it about, what clear picture emerges? A young girl has to enter a household as concubine, becoming one of four wives of a rich merchant who live inside a walled compound. So immediately the outside world of myriad possibilities and stories closes down behind her and us and life acquires a palpable order.

Various rituals take place that together comprise a larger harmony. Magnificent red lanterns are lit outside the home of whichever wife the husband has chosen to spend the night with; the rest have to return disappointed to dark houses. A foot massage is given to the chosen wife that night, punctuated with a repetitive sound that echoes like temple chimes signaling the time for prayer. Other rituals: the camera itself doesn't roam freely but specific views are established. Looking down from the tiled roof, another facing the bed. The husband is never seen from up close, as if he exists outside this order.

Taken together all these modes insinuate a world that is meticulously groomed and controlled, given structure and color that ritualize appearances. Very Chinese. Each time the lanterns are lit we know one woman has been chosen to be the center of this world for a fleeting night, life given a ceremonial glow.

But is this harmony that we see? The obvious point is a critique of traditional mores left over from the old days and accepted unthinkingly, lives stifled by the walls imposed on them and how the four women scheme and vie for primacy in the order of things. It doubletimes just as well as a veiled critique of communist walls. Party censors thought as much and the work was banned in China.

All of this will be readily available to the Western viewer from our own traditions of painterly beauty and institutionalized oppression. We can rest there and speak the usual platitudes about "the human condition", walk away thinking the film is all about how bad life was for women in China. Or we can - as with Mizoguchi before - attempt to cross into the world that gives rise to these images and reflects a more encompassing view.

Zhang's meticulous abstraction (color - sound - camera - all of it bound by the cyclical turn of weathers outside) comes from a worldview where the same energy is felt to move through man and nature alike, not Western in the least. He's working in a long Chinese line of practiced abstraction with roots in the tea ceremony and the calligrapher's scroll where the effort is not decorative beauty for its sake. It's cultivated awareness that guides the spiritual realization that we are what we bring to life. The calligrapher controls his hand like someone who meditates concentrates his attention - so that it will begin to radiate effortlessly with what rises up from a unfettered, mindful heart.

So if you don't just pass by like a visitor who looks pitifully at the cruelty of some faraway time and its victim? If you use the film to center within the walls of your own life that happened to you? In that case the film has wisdom in store, another view of seeing self and world.

This is the notion that you have been born into this life and have now come to this house, circumstances made it so. Life could have been better, it could have been worse. We see a housemaid who'd love nothing more than to be a wife while the third wife manages to live a life without despair and regret that lets her sing freely. Will you add to the unhappiness, cause unhappiness to others, go mad?

The title of this post refers to a mandala - a sacred space for the concentration of the gaze in Buddhism - frequently seen in Chinese temples; it depicts the universe as wheel and at the center lie craving and ego. See this like a mandala, see yourself in a life that you set in motion around the one ordained from above.

Something to meditate upon

Raise the Red Lantern (1991)

Author: mevmijaumau from Croatia
15 April 2015

Zhang Yimou's Raise the Red Lantern, based on Su Tong's 1990 novel Wives and Concubines, is simply a sublime film which explores the social climate of China's past and present through the story of a young woman becoming a wealthy man's fourth wife in the 1920s. The film has sometimes been read as a comment on communism or feminism, but in its heart it seems to me like a comment on the human condition in general, and remains one of the best Asian films I've seen. The film's now famous distribution issues started in China actually, where the film was supposedly banned for a short time even though the script was approved by the censors. The controversy was apparently raised because the movie can be read as a criticism of traditional Confucian ideals. It was later adapted into a homonymous ballet by the National Ballet of China, also directed by Yimou Zhang.

The movie is set in a single family compound and practically every scene happens inside its walls. This location also serves as a microcosm in encapsulating the past (or the current even) Chinese society in a nutshell. It's a story of several women trying to get recognition or control the situation in which they're practically powerless, bound to a master whose face is constantly obscured or out of camera's reach. The final shot of the Fourth Wife walking in circles outside her ex-room is particularly striking as it shows that fighting for progress and standing up for yourself is basically pointless and will get you nowhere as the system will run you over.

The story takes place throughout the four seasons, and many of the outdoor shots repeat with a different weather mechanic or differently arranged lanterns decorating it, to portray the never-ending cycle of cruel tradition which lives on and on, regardless of the time period. The weather may change, but the lanterns stay. But really, you just have to love the visual design of this movie. Static camera and very formal framing, the beautiful usage of shades of red, the huge traditional housing location whose magnitude completely swallows the characters... I also love how the four mistresses' respective rooms are all designed differently, my personal favorite being the Third Mistress' room, full of colorful theatrical masks. It's just a beautiful movie in every sense of word.

silently deadly

Author: Samiam3 from Canada
12 August 2009

Quite a contrast to his later films, here, Zhang Yimou orchestrates a quiet toned but extremely deadly film. There is not a speck of the glamour from films like House of Flying Daggers, and Hero. It was the success of this which probably earned him the respect and funding for those big budget films. Raise the Red Lantern, has a Kurosawa quality to it; very slow, very dramatic and very thought provoking.

Set around the beginning of the 20th century, The film is about the conflict between four concubines in the massive household of a Chinese lord. Every night he chooses to sleep with a different one. Red lanterns are lit and hung outside the room of whichever he chooses. The story is told from Gong Li's perspective - she has is the latest concubine. The tension is all about the competition among the women for the only power they can have - access to the lord.

Raise the Red Lantern, has a very barren feeling, and with so many wide establishing shots, this truly does resemble a Kurosawa design. The story rumbles with a grim ambiance and hardly ever escalates to an overly-dramatic scale. Zhang deliberately keeps things fairly distant and uncertain, and concludes the story on a dramatic and disturbing note. Such qualities of storytelling are rare, making Raise the Red Lantern a great film to see.

One master, four wives, too much conflict

Author: jackpf18 from United States
7 June 2007

After her father's death, Songlian is forced into a marriage at the young age of 19 to a master who already has three other wives. As Songlian moves into the master's mansion, there is a sense of jealousy along with conflict within her and the other three wives. The competition for the master's attention becomes tough as Songlian will soon find out. Songlian never seems to be happy throughout the whole film. I don't think I've ever recalled a scene where she even smiled other than the time she got drunk. She does not even wear a wedding dress on the day of her wedding with the master. All she wears is a school uniform. By her wearing this outfit, the audience can get a feeling that Songlian is unhappy about her marriage with the master. Hoping to get the master's attention back after cutting the second wife's ear, Songlian made a statement claiming that she is pregnant. The pregnancy becomes false when Yan'er discovers blood on the white pants of Songlian meaning that she had her period and could not have been pregnant. Things are just going to get worst from there on. Ever since Songlian moved into the mansion, everything bad has been going on. This film revolves around a 19-year-old college student forced into a marriage. It has a great storyline to it along with the costumes to abstract the backgrounds. The director's camera angles were great in this. This is one of the best Chinese films I've seen. I would give this film a rating of 8 out of 10 and highly recommend people to go and watch it.

Beautiful and Tragic

Author: babysweets718 from United States
7 June 2007

Raise the Red Lantern directed by Zhang Yimou is the perfect testament to the harsh realities women had to face during the 1920's in China. Zhang Yimou offers a glimpse into the time period of concubines and shows the story of our main protagonist, Songlian. Songlian is first portrayed as an independent young woman who has more than enough education women need during the 20's in China. Zhang Yimou develops the story of Songlian to show that no concubine can survive being independent without facing the consequences. Songlian is put through many obstacles and learns that obedience is number one in the concubine lifestyle after witnessing the execution of the third wife. Raise the Red Lantern shows the different side of being a concubine in China, which is the life of loneliness and distance from the outside world that concubines must lead.

Zhang Yimou's direction in Raise the Red Lantern is the true star of the movie. Yimou's constant use of long shots is employed to convey the sense that everything is kept secret in this lifestyle. Yimou's use of color to make the scenery gray is used to show that this is a mundane lifestyle and that there is no getting out. The director's strongest message during the movie was with the third wife when the fourth wife came to watch her sing. The beautiful red kimono against the gray backdrop of the houses showed that these concubines do have souls and personalities outside of their duties as concubines, but as soon as the third wife saw Songlian, she quickly took off the red kimono showing that she must now obey and hide her true self. Yimou accomplished his task of showing the oppressive lives that these women must live and through the use of Songlian he showed that there is no way out.

The only flaw in Raise the Red Lantern was the acting. Songlian did not convey much feeling and as the protagonist this was a mistake. The third and second wives were extremely good in playing their parts and showed their secret attempts to keep a hold of their true personalities. Although the acting was not much to rave about, Zhang Yimou created a beautiful film and in-depth look into the lackluster lives of concubines.

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]