IMDb > Curly Sue (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Curly Sue

Curly Sue More at IMDbPro »

A fun movie for the whole family

Author: Cal-37 from Las Vegas
3 September 1999

Give this movie a break! Its worth at least a "7"! That little girl is a good actor and she's cute, too. Jim Belushi is a comic genius. You can't help but feel good at the end! I wish there were more wholesome shows like this, that you can enjoy with your kids!

Works as a guilty pleasure

Author: stephenhow from California, USA
26 June 2005

I remember having a pretty low regard for a venture like this when it was first released. James "Not Jim" Belushi, a hammy kid actress, and a cheesy title in a John Hughes formula. You couldn't have paid me to see it 15 years ago. But, I got caught up watching it while wasting away a Sunday afternoon, and it hits me on a couple of levels. The fairy tale (part Pretty Woman, part reverse Pretty Woman), the very vulnerable, Elizabeth_Perkins_in_Miracle_On_42nd_Street -like performance by Kelly Lynch, the escapism. Over all, it gently pulls some very nice strings. It's pretty hard not to fall into the story, develop a crush on Kelly Lynch, identify with James Belushi, dislike the stiff bad guy boyfriend, and laugh at the Curley Sue lines. Has all the ups and downs, with a happy ending, and the kind of message you want to hear. Go ahead, waste your time on this movie, it's worth it.

Sweet story about an orphan's quest for love and stability

Author: mdm-11 from United States
21 May 2005

Writer/Director John Hughes covered all bases (as usual) with this bitter-sweet "Sunday Afternoon" family movie. "Curly Sue" is a sweet, precocious orphan, cared for from infancy by "Bill". The pair live off their wits as they travel the great US of A. Fate matches them with a "very pretty" yuppie lawyer, and the rest is predictable.

Kids will love this film, as they can relate to the heroine, played by 9 year old Alisan Poter (who went on to be the "you go girl!" of Pepsi commercials). The character is supposed to be about 6 or 7, as she is urged to think about going to school. Some of her vocabulary suggests that she is every day of 9 or older.

Similar to "Home Alone", there is plenty of slap-stick and little fists punching big fat chins. Again, this is "formula" film making, aimed at a young audience. Entertaining and heartwarming. Don't look for any surprises, but be prepared to shed a tear or two.

Kelly Lynch makes this film watchable

Author: cronen from United States
18 February 2005

If you can make the leap of faith required to believe that a successful attorney would actually fall in love with a homeless man, then you will enjoy this heart warming film.

Jim Belushi does a fair job, either you like his style or you don't. The little girl is cute enough. But, Kelly Lynch was remarkably convincing. I found myself drawn into her performance in a way that was quite surprising considering a film of this nature.

This movie is billed as a comedy and it was funny enough. Besides making me laugh, it also got me choked up at times. A good film for the whole family.

One of the few movies I can watch again and again!

Author: sanniti from paradiso
29 September 2011

I'm going to give it a 10 just because the IMDb rating for this film is so surprisingly low. It deserves a higher rating. Whenever I'm feeling in a funk, I put this on and all my cares and worries just disappear! I've read the reviews and still don't understand why people don't like it...because a yuppie lawyer wouldn't fall in love with a bum, you say?! I am a career woman and still I was with a dumpster diver for 5 years. Love is blind, people. Plus, it's just a story and a good cute feel-good story. Curly Sue is adorable. How can you NOT fall in love with her?!! So, rent it, buy it and put it on when you're feeling blue. We could use more movies like this one for good old-fashion escape. Highly recommended.

Great Movie

Author: easygoing84 from Orlando, FL
5 September 2001

Very heart warming and uplifting movie. Outstanding performance by Alisan Porter (Curly Sue). I saw this movie when it was first released and enjoyed it immensely. I just caught it again on the Mplex channel, and Curly Sue touched my heart again.

This is a light show that is heartwarming and funny.

Author: Dennis Marcum from United States
11 March 2007

With all thats going on in the world sometimes we need an escape. Curly Sue is just that. Not a complicated plot or deep meaning; however it is not devoid of substance. There is more than furious action or heart pounding dramas. There are the charming little shows you can watch with your kids and have enough substance to enjoy with your date. Try it you may like it more than you think. The little girl is really smart and cute. The "Dad" and the girl go thru some slapstick routines. When a jealous boyfriend steps in, trouble brews for Curly and the life shes known may be torn asunder. Fred Thompson and Kelly Lynch play good roles as the upper crust and Alison Porter and James Belushi are a interesting fable like duo portraying street wise homeless drifters. Their worlds collide and comedy ensues.

Homeless girl who'll capture your heart...

Author: Pookyiscute from Nyiregyhaza, Hungary
12 February 2004

John Hughes brings us another sad tale of a character, who's heart is bigger than her wallet, or her guardian's brain.

James Belushi plays a bum. A man who has been unemployed traveling from city to city for the past ten or so years. And did I mention he travels with a little girl? Curly Sue is her name, and along with scams and easy ways of getting free food, and some money the two play a game with one another. Kelly Lynch, plays a very successful sophisticated lawyer, who happens to be the bait, for such a ploy the two decide to pull. After running over Bill (Belushi) with her car, she takes the two out for dinner in order to apologize for her actions. Throughout several other meetings with the two unfortunates, she takes them in for the night which turns into several nights.

It's a heart-warming tale of three unlikely people who find joy and happiness with one another. However, be prepared, that as funny as most of Hughes' films are, this one tends to be much more dramatic than you might think. But a wonderful piece that will stay with you years after you see it.

I give this film a 7 out of 10 (10 being the highest). Although I enjoy it thoroughly, it's still not the best movie Hughes has ever made or written.

And that's my review.

A movie that touches your heart!

Author: Soledad-2 from Miami, Florida
25 February 1999

This movie made me very happy. It's impossible not to love the smart and sweet orphan girl who changes the heart of a selfish lawyer only interested in pursuing success in her career. This is a very optimistic movie and I sincerely believe that we need more films like Curly Sue. It touched my heart.

If "Curly Sue" doesn't warm the cockles of your heart, you're dead.

Author: Joern from Napanee
8 December 2002

Good story. Good script. Good casting. Good acting. Good directing. Good art direction. Good photography. Good sound. Good editing. Good everything. Put it all together and you end up with good entertainment.

The shame of it is that there aren't nearly enough films of this caliber being made these days. We may count ourselves lucky that writers/directors like John Hughes are occasionally able to make their creative voices heard.

Whenever I notice that I'm watching a film for the third or fourth time and still find it thoroughly satisfying I have to conclude that something about that film is right.