IMDb > Once Upon a Crime... (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Once Upon a Crime... More at IMDbPro »

I love this movie!

Author: PoorMrBook from Vancouver, Canada
13 January 2003

Americans tourists vacationing in Monaco become suspects in a murder case as their dumb mistakes and attempts at cover-up make them more and more suspicious. This a great ensemble movie that makes me laugh everytime and the plot is complex enough to warrant repeat viewing.

Certainly above par!

Author: Artemis-9 from Portugal
6 November 2003

I came across this comedy on channel TV during my usual zapping exercises. I'm too old, have seen too much, know too many movies by heart... Something caught my attention, and that was well before Sybill Sheperd put on her 'old' black dressing gown. I stayed on until the film ended, and liked it a lot.

Know what? A few days ago I was doing my zapping again, and came across a title, Once Upon a Crime, just as film credits were rolling. I thought it was a funny title, and stayed to see it what it was about. Soon I was laughing, then I discovered it was the same entertaining comedy, and stayed on until the film ended, and liked it more.

Believe me: if this comedy makes me laugh out loud three times in a second viewing, barely two months from the first, it's because it is decidedly good.

You've got to see it at least once

Author: culwin
15 November 1998

The story and characters are interesting to the end: the movie is funny, and features good acting by a star-studded cast. This movie isn't going to win any Oscars, but it's good entertainment for 2 hours. I give this movie an 8 out of 10.

My Favourite Movie Ever. The Possibly John Candy's best work.

Author: chiraag87 from Australia
13 February 2003

John Candy's Performance in Once Upon A Crime is possibly his best ever. It's been My Favourite Movie since it came out. I Spent 5 Years searching for it. That's How Good It Is. If You Disagree, well, that's your opinion. Enjoy The Movie.

In the genre of a good detective movie, this one was highly enjoyable.

Author: the_faircloths (thefaircloths@hotmail.com) from TN, US
7 July 2001

With a well thought out cast, this movie was a great comedic relief. The plot is well-written and the cast was knockout. Every bit as good as the reviews suggested (a rarity) and was highly entertaining. Being a huge John Candy fan myself, this movie was no disappointment.

Light, charming with wonderful cast

Author: trpdean from New York, New York
9 March 2002

I'd never heard of this and just saw it on television. It's charming.

I thought George Hamilton was particularly good as an Italian gigolo -he had mastered a terrifically funny accent (among other things, he creates new syllables - as in "jump - ED" or "laugh-ED").

I had not seen Giancarlo Giannini in anything since the 1970s - and he's wonderful in the only serious part - the Monegasque (correct spelling for one from Monaco?) detective.

Sean Young throws herself into this comedic role and Richard Lewis, John Candy, Cybill Shepherd, and Jim Belushi are fine.

I do recommend this movie highly - it's light and frothy, but with many funny lines. As others have said, it has a beautiful setting - in the Hotel de Paris and Monaco in general. For whatever reason, this movie seems to be unpopular in Ohio (the two negative comments are both from Ohioans) - if you're in the other 49 states or overseas, you're sure to enjoy it.

This movie is great!!!!

Author: travler69r from New Castle, Colorado
6 September 2006

This movie has an all star cast, John Candy, Richard Lewis, Ornella Mutti, Cybill Shepard, and Jim Belushi to name a few, run amuck in Monte Carlo, as well as some other beautiful European locations, and is very funny. The trouble that everyone gets in when they lie to protect themselves is great, and I highly recommend that you see this movie, it is well worth it! John Candy is in top form in Once Upon A Crime, as is everyone else! If you and your family are looking for a great family film, this is your ticket. Everyone gives stellar performances, great acting, great comedy, and great timing, which is rare in movies these days. Great plot, great mystery, (which I love anyways) and overall, well worth the money you spend on it. So get the kids, grab some popcorn, juice, or tea, or sodas, and enjoy the show!!!!

Funny, light mystery akin to What's Up, Doc?

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
30 October 2003

Marilyn (Cybill Shepherd) and her husband, Neil (James Belushi) are on the train to Monte Carlo to enjoy a well-earned vacation. While they are aboard, they run into businessman Augie Morosco (John Candy) as well as Phoebe (Sean Young) and Julian (Richard Lewis). Phoebe and Julian are soon ordered to leave the train, as they have a dog with them. Surprisingly, it turns out not to be their dog, but rather a canine they found and are returning to the female owner for the reward money. When they arrive at the owner's mansion, Phoebe and Julian soon discover that the owner has been murdered. Naturally, they are afraid that they will be blamed and flee the area. Meanwhile, Marilyn and Neil are experiencing different results at the gaming tables. Through various happenstances, all of the above characters will be suspects in the murder of the little dog's owner. Will police inspector Bonnard (Giancarlo Giannini) be able to nail the correct killer?

This comedic whodunit has an adorable cast (especially the quite stunning Sean Young) and a silly-but-fun plot that keeps the viewer pondering. John Candy's scenes are too few in number for him to steal the show, yet he generates chuckles, as usual. Instead, George Hamilton, in a small role, is the one who makes ample use of his screen time to charm and delight the audience. The scenery and costumes, also, are first rate. Viewers may have to search hard to find this film at the video store or library. Those who do will be rewarded with an evening of smiles and second-guessing as the film merits are unrolled.

Wonderful Movie

Author: joyinlagunahills from United States
30 March 2010

I love Monte Carlo and thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I thought everyone was very good. I was not familiar with Richard Lewis, I thought he made his character (Julian Peters) very personable, funny and attractive. Sean Young was very good as the befuddled rejected girl with a heart of gold. George Hamilton was charming and the perfect Italian gigolo. John Candy has a field day as the bon vivant. James Belushi is hysterical as a total jerk. Cybill Shepard gave a very sweet performance as a nice vulnerable ignored housewife. Delightful ensemble cast. Lots of talent, clever script, lots going on and beautiful locations. Just a nice pick me up for a dreary day. Especially in the winter when a trip to Europe is not anywhere on your horizon.

it's just silly entertainment, but it's actually quite good

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
6 May 2005

I admit that "Once Upon a Crime" probably will not add anything to the cinematic landscape in the near future. But it's so funny. Set in Monaco, a group of unacquainted tourists (among them John Candy, Jim Belushi and Cybill Shephard) get involved in a murder plot, the answer to which may or may not be closer than they think.

If absolutely nothing else, this movie will prove that Monaco is like Las Vegas, only much more desirable in every way. And John Candy is his usual goofy self, Jim Belushi and Cybill Shephard are at each other's heels constantly, and Giancarlo Giannini plays the police chief. More or less, the whole movie is "Murder on the Orient Express" set in Monaco. I should remind you that unless you tolerate the kind of off-the-wall humor that dominated movies throughout the '80's and early '90's, you won't like "Once Upon a Crime" one bit. Otherwise, you'll have a great time.