IMDb > The Cloning of Joanna May (1992) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Cloning of Joanna May (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Edgy ego drama with SF elements

Author: karlpov from Columbia MD
14 January 2003

A wealthy, self-centered monster loses the woman he loves, but determines to re-create her. He has a number of clones developed, and sits back while they grow to maturity, unknown to each other, in a wide variety of circumstances. He then invites them all to a gathering and announces that he will be picking one of them as his bride. Of course, the women's reactions are not what he anticipates, and the ending is suitably surprising and ironic.

Like the good version of The Life and Loves of a She-Devil (not the Roseanne Barr version), this is an adaptation of a Fay Weldon novel and stars the lovely Patricia Hodge. What more could one ask for?

Is it a comedy?

Author: jdgrapho from United Kingdom
2 April 2011

I absolutely love She Devil and Patricia Hodge and bought this thinking I would be in for a treat. How disappointing. I just didn't feel drawn in to this strange world with its unrealistic characters.

The clones seemed ridiculous cardboard things and May himself seemed to be hamming up his performance. Patricia Hodge was convincing as Joanna but all the other characters, including the detective played by the absolutely wonderful Billie Whitelaw, were plain silly, like Carry On stereotypes.

I wondered, towards the end, whether it's supposed to be a comedy rather than a chilling drama. I shan't bother to keep it on my shelf with my other dvds as I shan't watch it ever again.

An intriguing concept

Author: angelaboyko from Alberta, Canada
22 August 2004

I discovered this on A&E. It was a great TV movie, weaving the realities of divorce and loss, with the sci-fi elements of cloning.

Very interestingly, the three actresses cast as the clones didn't look that much alike, aside from being red haired and fair. But the way it was directed, they instantly knew they were sisters when they first saw each other, and when Joanna and Carl saw them too. There was a kinship between the three clones that leaped off the screen.

In fact, it was the supernatural kinship of the clones that made this a compelling movie to watch. Is it really the clones who appear underwater when Carl swims? Did they cause his death?

And what will become of the Carl clone when he grows up? I wish there was a sequel.

I ended up getting the book from the library. This TV movie was a very good adaptation.