IMDb > California Casanova (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

California Casanova More at IMDbPro »

Yeah, a superb film, fabulous and fun!

Author: DanielAarden from United States
28 September 2008

Oh, wow, what a wonderful burst of fun it was to see Jerry Orbach as a retired European gigolo! And he gives Yoda like advice to his young listener, played by Tyrone Power Jr.

California Casanova was made ahead of its time. The cleverly sophisticated approach to this comedy brings modern sensibilities to a genre that is very difficult to do – screwball comedy. And it all works.

Writer-Director Nat Christian, boldly ventures into this territory with great aplomb. His screenplay presents us with a very real "Rominoffski", an aging gigolo, who has been presenting himself as something "special." You know, the guy who manages a fine hotel somewhere, and says that his family's money has been tied up or frozen somewhere in Europe for political reasons. The guy is impeccably well dressed. We know this person. He's the guy who, if you looked closely enough, would have a tiny hole at the back of his pant cuff. But one doesn't look closely at these types. They are "royalty." Their charm keeps us too charmed to look further. And they get by with it. Writer/Director, Christian also created a strong female character in this film.

As a director, Christian very creatively ties in romance and spiced poignancy with comedy. Under his direction, the actors are relaxed and they give outstanding performances.

Jerry Orbach, who had normally been a song and dance man, until he became street tough guys, plays this character beautifully and poetically. What a real joy.

Audrey Landers (whom I had seen in Chorus Line) plays a singer who is caught between a tough guy ex-boyfriend, Brian Genesse, and a geek. Landers has never been more real and vulnerable in a role. It's the first time I saw a wide range with her and couldn't help but think that that this actress could be a major international star.

Tyrone Power Jr. plays well opposite Mr. Orbach. Brian Genesse, is charismatic and funny.

One of the executive producers is Ruth Landers, Audrey's mother apparently. And this probably was a vehicle for her daughter. Though, I would have preferred to see more of a buddy picture, with Orbach and Power, because I feel that is where the strength of this movie was, Audrey's performance was a real joy to watch.

California Casanova delivers. Maybe delivered a little ahead of it's time, but that's the great thing about DVDs!

A rare gem!

Author: FilmCrazy from New York City, USA
15 February 2003

I just loved this stylish, charming, escapist and romantic movie. It's not often that you see a screwball comedy that works, and this one does. The story has a lot of heart, and it delivers, moving with light, but effective strokes of the brush. Jerry Orbach is great as an older gigolo. I definitely recommend this one.

I loved this delightful and charming movie!

Author: Fastframe
6 January 2003

This film made me laugh and touched my heart at the same time. To see Jerry Orbach running around like an aristocratic Count was just delightful. The filmmaking gave us a light charming comedy with a touching romantic under plot. I won't give away the plot, but several scenes were sensationally funny. I loved it.

A funny, warm and classy ride.

Author: Cynthia176 from Huston, Texas
16 September 2000

Jerry Orbach is terrific as the aging gigolo who befriends a young nerd and helps transform him into a modern day Casanova. or at least he tries to. A surprisingly vulnerable and revealing performance by Audrey Landers, along with a very appealing cameo performances by Ken Kercheval. This was a great movie to watch.

A wonderful, wonderful, funny movie!

Author: viewer97 from Carlsbad, CA
18 February 2003

Every once in awhile I happen to catch something that is a rarity. A good movie. It has been playing recently and I watched it twice. Who would have thought of Jerry Orbach as an aging charmer named `Constantin Rominoffski'? Although it is basically a comedy, there are some poignant moments between Rominoffski and Peter, the young geeky guy that he tries to help out.

Loved it, and will watch it again.

Author: Girl2 from Beverly Hills, USA
16 February 2003

I just saw this movie. I can't believe what a find this is. It's truly an original. Moving at its own rhythm, this film offers a lot of laughs and a whole lot of heart. Jerry Orbach and Audrey Landers deliver fine performances. The direction is outstanding, and the production value (for an obviously low budget independent film) is wonderful. I give it a high recommendation.

A gem of a movie.

Author: Irene-21 from Portland, Oregon
12 July 2000

This comedy, though quirky, really touched me. A bumbling, penniless, down and out young man is saved, or thinks he is, by an old man of charm and grace. The kind of person who is always impeccably dressed and seems to have the attention of all the ladies, but is nevertheless penniless himself. The type of person who is usually a guest at someone's house because he claims that his vast fortune is "frozen" in some European bank account, so all he has is his style. Naturally, the advice given to the younger man gives birth to a lot of comedic scenes, but in the end, the two learn a lot from each other. I loved it.

A poignant "buddy picture" underscoring a barrel of laughs.

Author: rtaft111111 from Manchester, New Hampshire
16 February 2003

I just saw this film about a down on his luck loser who meets an older guy who has no clue about anything, but nevertheless has a lot of charm. The older guy tries to help our young hero in getting girls.. or rather to become a "Casanova." It's a very funny and original film. I adored it.

Delightful, delightful. Absolutely delightful!

Author: NYcritic2 from New York City, USA
17 January 2003

First of all, this film delivers a stylish, lighthearted, romantic punch. Jerry Orbach plays an aging Casanova who mentors a down and out, "nerdy" guy. Well, what can I say? This character is unlike anything Mr. Orbach has done in the past, but it certainly allows him to showcase his wonderful talent in comedy. I enjoyed this movie thoroughly.

"This is one heck of a special film"

Author: Movie Fan-4 from Phoenix, Arizona
12 July 2000

I was very touched by this warm and endearing comedy. An aging count from an era that has almost completely disappeared befriends your classic loser and coaches him on how to become a successful modern day Casanova. The comedy arises out of the fact that the older man's mind set is of that disappearing era. The "buddy" relationship could have gone on and on and I would never have gotten bored. This special romantic comedy is packed with the kind of "screw ball" flavor that is rare to find.