IMDb > The Boy Who Cried Bitch (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Boy Who Cried Bitch More at IMDbPro »

This never appeared on video

Author: gunnarvl from Seattle, WA
11 August 2001

The Boy Who Cried Bitch was an extremely limited release film from 1991. It was playing in one theater in Manhattan and I saw it four times. It features a terrific performance by Harley Cross as the disturbed child. The film is very depressing. It never was released on any format and I rarely find other people who know anything about it. I'd love to find a copy. I highly recommend this film.

Great Movie, great performances

Author: Maddis from United States
15 April 2004

After seeing the Boy Who Cried Bitch, you might be left wondering what happened in 1991 that they couldn't release this film. This movie is one of the few effortlessly fused Theater Release with TV Movie of the Week that perhaps it lost it's footing in both venues. A shame that more people didn't get the chance to see what is surely a great performance by a young Harley Cross. This is before "Shriek If you know what I did Last Friday the 13th" but shortly after Believers.

Harley was a young actor to watch with notable films "Cohen and Tate" peeking with "Perdita Durango" and an otherwise downward slide to obscurity since. He certainly shines in this role as a confused and psychotic adolescent on the brink of madness struggling to find a place in the outside that compliments his inner demons. Rarely have we seen a young actor display such range and for this reason alone, this movie should have shucked the title and some of the cursing for something a bit more palatable to the mainstream public.

BWCB was unique in that it explored some of the complexities of child abuse, manic depression and a mother's ultimate failure to connect with her child in a way that is not cliché. For example a good scene early on has Dan (Cross) being seduced by a groundskeeper who obviously tries to fill a father's role and lure the boy into a man-boy relationship. Dan turns the power position around and immediately uses the man for beer and food for his brothers and friends. This film takes an honest look at young teens, not shying away from the way they talk and the amount of insight they have with their adult relationships.

I recommend this film for those looking for a good hearted, insightful, sometimes dark and emotional journey through a troubled teen's life.

6/10 Maddis

Very depressing...and fascinating

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
12 April 2004

Disturbing movie of a child (Harley Cross) who slowly begins to go crazy...and drags his family down with him.

This got no release back in 1991 (probably because of the title and subject matter). It had only one showing at the Boston Film Festival. We actually had the director introduce the film and take questions afterwords. Most of the audience was stunned and speechless and VERY depressed at the end. The director acknowledged the film was disturbing--but that's why he made it. Also the original ending of the film was even WORSE than what was filmed.

**SPOILER AHEAD** In the release version the mother has to kill her own child. In the original script, the kid killed his whole family before killing himself! The director thought that was going TOO far and changed it. **END SPOLIER**

The whole cast was superb--especially Cross. Naturally this film was (as far as I know) never released on video so we'll probably never see a DVD version either. That's really too bad. I saw this film over 10 years ago and I've never forgotten it. I really wish I could see it again.

wow, what a great movie!!!

Author: jesse-james from Metropolis, Nimmerland
18 January 2005

i bought a copy of this movie at ebay. i did not expect much from that title and to my big surprise it turned out to be a great psychological thriller. i can't believe that this movie did not find any distributor. if i had the money i would distribute it myself... my advice, if you get the chance to watch it then don't miss it. i also liked that movie because it shows a huge famelyproblem. a problem i'm experiencing in my own family too. it shows how hard it is for a family to live with a emotional disturbed child. you can't just get rid of your own kids by putting them into a psychic institution. i mean their your kids and you love them. however, thanks god that my problem is not as big as the mothers problem in that movie. and that is the shocking thing about that movie. it is made so realistic and the plot and actors are also very realistic so it scared me...

Extremely Powerful Film About A Family In Turmoil...

Author: EVOL666 from St. John's Abortion Clinic
4 November 2006

Honestly, I'd never even heard of THE BOY WHO CRIED BITCH until a few days ago. I grabbed it from a friend with no prior knowledge or expectations - and I have to say that I was EXTREMELY impressed with this rare find. I'm surprised that the film hasn't gotten a wider release considering how powerful of a film that it is - but I also can see that it may not garner wide-spread acclaim as many "mainstream" viewers would probably find the subject-matter and extremely realistic portrayals a bit too much to handle...

Dan is a kid who suffers from some SERIOUS mental issues. It's never addressed as to what exactly his problem is - but it seems to be a mix of psychosis, some sort of "rage" disorder, and perhaps a touch of Tourette's syndrome. Dan is completely out of control and can't seem to control his violent outbursts, which puts a strain on his mother and two brothers. His mother eventually commits him to a private mental hospital where no progress is made in helping either identify or treat Dan's condition - in fact, he seems to only get worse in the institutional environment. After becoming violent to the staff of the institution, they decide that they can not keep him there any longer, and if other arrangements aren't made - he will be turned over for lock-up into a state-run facility. Unable to find proper care or treatment for her son, the mother brings him home, which with no boundaries or professional help to keep him in-check, turns out to be a bad move...

THE BOY WHO CRIED BITCH is one of the more powerful films I've seen in a while. Strong performances by all the leads (especially Harley Cross as Dan), and some notable supporting roles by a young Adrien Brody and also Moira Kelly elevate this film to near-perfect status. The downbeat and uncompromising nature of the film is a refreshing change from all the Hollywood happy-ending bullsh!t that assaults the cinema these days - another reason whey this film will probably never receive the recognition it deserves. A damn good film for those that enjoy more "challenging" material - don't pass this one up if you have the chance to see it...9/10

Realistic and Sad look into a Dysfunctional Family.

Author: ElijahCSkuggs from Happy Land, who lives in a Gumdrop House on Lolly Pop Lane
30 June 2008

The Boy Who Cried Bitch, is not only one of the best flicks I've seen in a while, but it's also one of the best movie titles I've ever come across.

The story basically follows a young boy who suffers from serious mental issues. From his interactions with his family and how he rules the roost, to his interaction with the people who run the institution he eventually heads to.

The Boy Who Cried Bitch was a incredibly intimate feeling flick that was really realistic in it's story-telling and it's portrayal of a young boy not being able to cope with the outside world. From not having a father to guide him and to having an incredibly immature and imbalanced mother, all the ingredients are there for a young kid to go awry and not benefit from a nurturing family.

I've seriously got to commend the little dude who played the disturbed young kid. Harley Cross (cool ass name), is a genuine child-star and one performance I'll never forget. He's actually reason enough to watch this flick. I should give the producers and directors some love too, since I'm sure it's somewhat tough to direct young kids. And to do it as well as this, is damn impressive.

It's been a while since I've seen a flick where I've been grabbed so fast and yanked right into the feel and atmosphere. Right away, you've got Harley screaming at his mother, "Slut bitch!" And not long after you've got the Mom yanking her shirt showing.....never mind, I'll just simply say, if you get the chance to see The Boy Who Cried Bitch don't let it pass by. This a really, really good flick.

Powerful performance all the way through~

Author: rtjoby from Texas, USA
20 May 2002

HARLEY CROSS gives an amazingly powerful performance as a young boy with a psychotic mental problem. This is a movie that will have you on the edge of your seat one minute and almost crying the next. It is beyond belief at how the most amazing movie performance of the young actor's career would get absolutely no recognition. The movie goes deep inside the boy's crazed mind through some heavy suspenseful scenes which if anything helps one truly understand someone with a mental problem a little better. Also it's probably the first time JASON BIGGS has ever been seen in a movie at a very young 9 years old. If you ever find the rare chance to watch a copy of this hard-to-find unreleased movie on video----do not pass the chance. The shock-ending will blow you away.

Thanks Campanella

Author: kalispero from London, UK
3 March 2002

Just to say it´s one of the greatest movies ever for me. I have seen it at least ten times and even more the last 15 minutes, a truly spine-chilling end. Any adjective to describe the sound track would be incomplete and, above all, the main actor performance is a lesson to Hollywood business empty 'big' stars Russell Crowe, Brad Pitt, etc, etc ..

Impossible to find it in video/DVD, it´s unknown even for movie rental shops. A real real pity.

A very potent, unnerving and unjustly neglected indie drama gem

16 February 2007

A very stark, sad and sobering drama about angry, surly, fatherless, alienated, stuttering and oppositional misogynistic 12-year-old Dan Love (a frightfully credible and exceptional performance by Harley Cross), a malcontent adolescent who's ignored and unloved by his neurotic and equally unstable mother Candice (excellently played by Karen Young). Dan gets sent to a mental institution so he can be cured of his violent, psychotic mood swings. Alas, he only becomes increasingly crazed and volatile due to the woefully impersonal, ineffective and uncompassionate psychiatric treatment he receives. Director Juan Jose Campanella pulls no punches and offers no easy answers in this deeply disturbing and ultimately quite tragic tale of teenage misery beget by severe parental neglect. Moreover, Campanella also illustrates in chillingly lucid terms just how miserably ill-equipped most professional institutions are in properly rehabilitating a borderline psychopath. Catherine May Levin's sharply observant, provocative and confrontational script likewise hits hard with its stinging social commentary, pointing out that Dan is the toxic product of a horribly lackluster upbringing and how his basic poignant need for love and affection gets continually overlooked by so-called "experts" who are supposed to help, but more often really make things much worse instead. A then unknown pre-stardom Adrien Brody impresses in an early substantial co-starring role. A genuinely unnerving and extremely powerful film.

Praiseworthy performance by Harley Cross

Author: babalbew from Japan
27 March 2010

I am very fond of looking socially aware dramas acted by young actors as a leading or a key supporting roles. From this point of view, Harley Cross in this movie is the most brilliant among them. He plays main character who has a personality disorder and whose situation turns progressively worse by a mental hospital. His part is so difficult to act even by an adult actor. But he did it only by 12 old years old. It is very touching to view the superb acting which has never done by his age. As a result, he won the Best Actor at Valladolid International Film Festival in 1991. When we check the winner at that time, we can see Antonio Banderas (1989), Dirk Bogarde (1990), Jack Lemmon, Al Pacino et al. from "Glengarry Glen Ross" (1992) and Gian Maria Volonté (1993). There were distinguished representatives in those epoch. As a result, this movie is worth to see only by looking his performance. It is really sorry for him he has not recognized as talented child actor after this movie.