IMDb > Body Parts (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Body Parts

Body Parts More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

This Frankenstein revisited picture, is a B+++ movie!!!

Author: rbrb
24 March 2010

The film is enjoyable and is good fun.

The main character loses his arm in an accident, and gets a replacement from a dubious source leading to all sorts of macabre events, and the play includes having a mad scientist/doctor.

What I like about this picture is that even though the story spirals into absurdity and is preposterous, all the lead actors take themselves and the story very seriously making the movie even more hilarious.

Everyone gives full throttle performances which keeps the viewer nicely entertained!

I wonder if we have or will get a body Parts II?!

Worthy of a solid:

Don't stick your arm out the window...

Author: KnatLouie from Copenhagen, Denmark
19 December 2001

When I first heard about this movie, I read about the story: Guys gets a killers body-parts, and now "someone" wants them back. Then I studied the cast: the main character was played by Jeff Fahey (who I knew from "The Lawnmower Man" and "Silverado"), and then I saw Brad Dourif (from the "Child's Play"-movies amongst other spooky flicks, like "Alien 4" and "Nightwatch" ). I thought that it would be watchable only because they were in it, but it actually had a quite interesting story, which raised a couple of questions, such as the mysterious nature of body-part-transplanting, and how bad it could go!

I think there was some spectacular stunts in this movie, and many original ideas (especially when Fahey gets in a driving vehicle!), and it never really stops being exciting! - The final scenes are pretty gross, but generally I thought that the movie was okay! My rating is 7/10

Unusual horror film nicely blends with thriller and science fiction

Author: Lucien Lessard from Canada
24 November 2007

Criminal psychologist Bill Chrushank (Jeff Fahey) survived from an horrible car accident but he loses his arm. But when a gifted mysterious Dr. Agatha Webb (Lindsay Duncan) manages to find a donor to have a new arm for Bill. When his wife Karen (Kim Delaney) agrees with the doctor for the operation. When the operation is a success and then its takes weeks for Bill's new arm to be working. In fact, he finds his new arm to be much better than his old one. But then, it's starts doing things that he doesn't want to do and being having vivid nightmares. He finds out that his arm belongs to Charley Fletcher (John Walsh). A violent serial killer, who got executed on the operation table. When Bill got his new arm from. But Bill finds out that he's not the only one, who got spear parts from the infamous murderer. Then after meeting two people (Brad Dourif and Peter Murnik), who got spear body parts from Charley. But when Bill wants his arm off, the Dr. Webb refused to do it. Bill has a feeling or two that Dr. Webb is not what she seems to be and he feels, there's something out there is coming for him.

Directed by Eric Red (Bad Moon, Cohen and Tate, Undertow) made an intriguing horror film with some effective moments of suspense and thrills. This was an box office disappointment, when it was released in the summer of 1991. The critics were not kind to this movie as well. Sure, the premise isn't original anymore. But director Red tries to make something different here by adding some neat ideals to the already often filmed premise of the picture. The underrated Fahey gives an strong performance. Dourif gives an memorable small role as the artist, who finds sudden success with his paintings. Red does his best work so far as a filmmaker here. Red wasn't made a movie or wrote a script in years but it seems, he trying to make a comeback with his latest work "100 Feet". That film will be released sometime in 2008. Like most of Red's works, "Body Parts" has become a cult classic. It's certainly one of the most underrated horror movies of the 1990's. Effective music score by Loek Dikker. Insipred from the novel "Choice Cuts" by Pierre Boileau and Thomas Narcejac (Which they wrote the classic book together "Diabolique"). Co-scripted by the director and Norman Snider (Dead Ringers, Rated X). Screen-story by Patricia Herskovic (Producer of cult classics like "Deadly Blessing", "Mother's Boys" and "Toy Soldiers") and Joyce Taylor. Don't miss it. Panavision. (****/*****).

Gruesome, low-budget film that works

Author: King_Opossum from somewhere much higher than you...
25 April 2000

Now I must admit I really didn't think I was going to like this one! This terrible judgement was down to its corny title, obviously low budget, and that awful actor Jeff Fahey! I have never seen a movie with this actor that I have truly been impressed with, due to his wooden acting and bland expression. Sadly this movie was no different, but it was saved by some very neat performances.

The story is simply a re-hash of a tried and tested idea - some guy (in this case a criminal psychologist) loses a limb, and a replacement is sewn on - subsequently it comes to light that the limb is of a dead psychopath. The question is, who does the arm now really belong to? There are some nice treats given to those who pay attention to the script ("I have the blood of a murderer running through my body" is a chilling line, even by the dismal Fahey!). There are some good performances too, most notably from the two female leads. Kim Delaney plays the wife very well, and her panic at the apparently unexplainable situation feels very real. Lindsay Duncan turns in a fine performance as the doctor who's surgical efforts bring more than GBH to the picture! Loek Dikker (!) has composed an interestingly dissonant score, that unfortunately goes a little too over the top in places, but is good nonetheless. The gore is plentiful, and well done. I cannot often stomach realistic surgical drama, and I did have to turn away on numerous gruesome occasions!

This film will not disappoint a punter who feels like 90 minutes of brain-easy escapism. An enjoyable movie!

You must own this Horror to make others watch it at gunpoint.

Author: RabbitMayhem from United States
6 September 2007

This is what happens when the two best movie genres in the world meet each other and have passionate sex. It's SCI-FI mixed in with sick old fashioned HORROR. It's the most beautiful mix ever and it was done in this ERIC RED masterpiece. All the best aspects for a good horror/sci-fi were perfectly aligned for this one. An outstanding lead actor, JEFF FAHEY (The Lawnmower Man), a great movie maker, ERIC RED, and a good book, "CHOICE CUTS" from BOILEAU-NARCEJAC. It's starts off good, then it gets better, but it doesn't stop there. It becomes eerie, then sick, then crazy, and all of a sudden you end up watching a violent twisted ending. Once you get passed the "yeah right" idea of the body grafting, you're in and hooked. You cannot expect CGI, or witty modern dialogue, due to the fact that it was made in 1991 just before the big change between good old-fashioned bloody gore and the new commercial stuff you see today. You will, at the very least, be moved by the fact that you saw it and can make a constructive criticism yourself without outside judgment. It was missed by the popular audience but will always be remembered by HORROR fanatics everywhere. It's a definite keeper.

A good horrifying idea gone somewhat awry~~

Author: Wavehill24 from United States
9 June 2005

As bad and ridiculous as this movie was, i found the premise compelling and the questions it posed. Jeff Fahey started to look more and more demonic as the movie went on, and his hair changed too. I wouldn't recommend the film, but i think it was horrifying in a Frankensteinian way and fun in the way Blue Velvet was fun, in that dark, film noir kind of way,but Parts was without the aesthetics. I had to laugh because certain scenes reminded me of Robinson Crusoe on Mars, and then in other parts i actually wondered what was going on, like maybe there was a cohesive, tightly woven plot. I think i was mistaken on that. Too bad, the movie sort of had some kind of appeal. Anyone agree? I kind of thought the painter who received the other arm was a classic nut case in a way that was so over the top as to be humorous.

I actually felt that his family relationships were kind of honest and touching, even though they saw their dad unraveling. Perhaps one of the highlights of the film.

Not as bad as I thought.

Author: Peach-2 from Netherlands
17 November 1998

Body Parts wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It turned out to be pretty entertaining and had a few moments that made me jump out of my seat. I believe the director, Eric Red, will one day be a more popular film-maker. He does a good job and creates some genuine tension.

Good, But Marred By Outlandish Finale

Author: jonathon_naylor from Manitoba, Canada
19 July 2006

An outlandish conclusion mars this otherwise decent little early '90s thriller. Jeff Fahey, he of "Lawnmower Man" fame, stars as Bill Chrushank, a shrink who tragically loses his arm in a brutal car wreck. But through the miracle of science, and with the consent of his wife, Chrushank is given a second chance at an able-bodied life via a groundbreaking transplant. All seems well until the limb, formerly belonging to a murderous death row inmate, seems to take on a life of its own. Is the killer living more than vicariously through Chrushank, or is it all in his head?

One of the biggest complaints the big-name critics had with this one was that the story is all too familiar (i.e. "Hands of Orlac"). Yet a borrowed story is no reason to automatically dismiss a picture. Look at how many cop pictures and romantic comedies steal elements from their predecessors. So yes, this basic tale has been told before, but director Eric Red (I've never heard of him, either) makes it all work pretty good. Until, that is, the aforementioned climax rears its ugly head. It's then that Chrushank discovers the sinister origins of his surgery. I won't give it away, but let's just say there are plenty of four-letter words to describe it: lame, poor, nuts, crap. This film just could have been so great with a great finale.

Part-ially Hilarious!

Author: jtk57 from Baltimore, USA
30 June 2002

I saw this movie in college and forgot almost everything about it except for the car chase scene with the handcuffs, so when I saw it again recently, I was pretty much waiting to see if it was as cool as I had remembered. It was, and there were other scenes that induced a chuckle in this cheesy entry. Jeff Fahey, who looks like a poor man's Ray Liotta with better skin and not as much acting ability, plays a nurturing criminal psychologist who spends his days dealing with crazy criminals who say f*ck a lot. After studying a dangerously wobbling wheel on the car in front of him during his commute to work in the morning, he is actually surprised when it snaps off and he gets creamed by an 18 wheeler. Maybe I was in a weird mood, but the sight of him flying through the windshield was unintentionally hilarious. After he gets the killer's arm sewn onto his stump, he begins to act strangely. He starts to cut himself and curse while shaving with the killer's hand. He cracks his kid in the side of the head while wrestling in the family room. He tries to choke out his wife while she's asleep. I found all of this to be really, really funny for some reason. I just couldn't take Fahey's performance seriously. What can I say? It just made me think of the Simpson's episode where Homer gets the hair transplant from Snake the convict. The gore effects where decent, and the sound effects, unusually enough , were very well done, especially the "flesh ripping" sounds that come into play later in the movie. I dare you to keep a straight face when the killer comes back in a neck brace and tries to get his arm back. He is silent except for his mugging face and gurgling sounds as he "takes back what's his". Yeah this movie is "bad", but if that is a good thing to you like it is to me, it's worth seeing. Plus, if you are an unfortunate Blockbuster slave who can't get movies anywhere else, I believe that this is one of the few horror movies they carry that was made before "Scream" and doesn't revolve around Freddy Prinze Jr. or star any Arquette family members. Whatever happened to the talented Mr. Fahey anyway?!

Eric Red is without a doubt the master of suspense, and this is his best.

Author: Big Daddy from Marhta's Vineyard
20 August 2000

Right from the opening scene, if you let it, this movie will give you goose-bumps. Not that the first scene consisting of two people talking is particularly scary, it is just shot in such a brilliant subtly eerie way (as are all the scenes) that you can't help but be somewhat creeped out. The plot--involving a man receiving a new arm after losing his in a terrible auto accident and discovering that it belonged to a serial killer that happens to want it back--sounds ludicrous, yet somehow Red lets the story unfold seamlessly and realistically and you find yourself believing every detail. This movie is about as intensely spooky as you can get, and every last moment of terror is executed perfectly. Red never lets you relax, because the minute you think things are settling down, something completely unexpected and wonderfully of-beat will leap out of no where are scare you silly. And finally, Body Parts succeeds in the extraordinary-visuals category not by throwing a bunch of flashy special effects in your face, but by remarkably original scenes fantastically constructed from ordinary things that become almost mesmerizing. This is the best horror film I have seen to date (August 20, 2000) and I have seen many. Just remember not to take it all too seriously, because this movie relies on emotions and characters to convey it realistically, not situations or plotting which are more fantastical than real-life based. But if, like myself, you let yourself become completely absorbed in the story, characters, and suspense, you are in for a true treat.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]