IMDb > Beauty and the Beast (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 38: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

The most beautiful love story ever told.

Author: Melissa Legard from Canada
28 July 2009

Beauty and the Beast is my second favorite Disney movie. I was 2 years old when it was released, I'm 20 years old now and I still love it and watch it all the time. It hasn't lost its touch and it never gets old. It's amazing how you can watch a movie over and over again and still love it. Of all movies, this is the one movie I grew up on.

Of all the Disney movies out there, how can people not like this one? I don't understand it, I really don't. It's so beautiful and heart felt and always cheers me up when I watch it. Look at the animated movies being made today. It disgusts me and makes me really sad knowing that movies like Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid and Aladdin will never be made again. Some of the animated movies nowadays aren't too bad, Kung Fu Panda and Over the Hedge I love, but will never live up to and be as good as Beauty and the Beast. This movie is pure magic and is one of the best Disney movies ever made. I don't care for the old classics like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, not that I dislike them or anything. All my favorite Disney movies are from the 90s because I grew up with those one.

Beauty and the Beast shows one of the most beautiful love stories ever told, showing us that appearance isn't everything but what's inside. Belle fell in love with the Beast, seeing the goodness inside of him. Some people don't like this movie because of why Belle loves the Beast. The message they're trying to give is that you can love someone for what's inside of them, it's just one of the key elements when in a relationship but not the only. During the ballroom dance scene, you can see that Belle and the Beast's love for each other is getting stronger and the way they look at each other, you can definitely see how they have bonded since their first meeting. It's just beautiful and makes me feel all warm inside.

The funniest part is when Gaston has his wedding prepared and hasn't even proposed to Belle yet. I mean, what's up with that, but it's funny!

Beauty and the Beast makes me miss how they used to animate Disney movies back in the day. The coloring, the gleam in the characters eyes. They added everything. It's absolutely brilliant and with the picture quality increasing nowadays on DVD it makes the movie look even better! I honestly can't tell you how many times I've seen this movie in the last 18 years growing up on it. I personally think it's the most beautiful love story ever told and this movie will stick with me until my dying day. No doubt, I'll be 50 years old and I'll still be watching Beauty and the Beast.

I missed buying the special edition when it came out in 2002 so I still have the tape, which surprisingly, still works! I'll be waiting for the re-release of Beauty and the Beast next year in 3D.

Beauty and the Beast isn't just for kids but for all ages. It's always gonna be one of my favorite movies.

This Movie Should Be In The Top 20 Best Movies Of All Time On IMDb!!!

Author: tore019 from Norway
24 June 2009

This movie is beautiful. No other word can describe this film. It's the Shawshank Redemption animated. This movie is the greatest Disney movie ever, in my opinion. Lion King is very good but it's not even close to this. It will give you bumpers, it will make you laugh, smile and cry. It will change your life in some small way, but still it will do something to you. The music is amazing, the voice acting is fail free, everything about this movie is perfect! I will not give any spoilers about this film but it is a MUST SEE for everybody! Watch this movie and you'll know that it deserves better ratings! Beautiful, just beautiful!

The Most Beautiful Story Ever Told

Author: fnch_jk from United States
4 June 2009

I saw this movie as a child, and liked it OK.

As the years passed, the VHS sat in the corner of my room and collected dust. We moved, and my family lost the copy of it. Strangely, one day, while opening an unopened box, I stumbled across some old Disney movies, and a beat up VHS player. So I hooked it up, and put in Beauty and the Beast on a whim.

The only word I could use to describe the experience is: stunning.

From the low drone of the tuba at the start of the movie accompanying the enchanting story of a selfish heart, to the triumphant end with some of the most beautiful animation I have ever seen... I was astounded.

The artists from the movie were brilliant. The beast was Perfectly scary enough to still be human, and Belle was normal enough to be beautiful. The colors used throughout the movie are perfect. The use of warm, dark colors moved with the story, creating a very atmospheric setting, relaxing enough to lull one into a dream.

Aside from the art, the music is impeccable. Every catchy tune repeatedly pops into my head just thinking about the movie. The orchestration flows smoothly throughout the movie, blending remarkably with the art, and the story.

Finally.... The story. The story is one of the most beautiful love stories of all time. The idea that a beautiful (stubborn) girl could ever fall in love with a hideous, but troubled beast- even with an evil man trying to split true (yet, perhaps, undiscovered) love apart- is so pleasing and encouraging to everyone with a heart. Whole, broken, or mended.

So, whether you watch the movie every day, or just remembered that it was in a box in the attic, you can surely appreciate the beautiful art, music, and message which is presented in this masterpiece.

Tale as Old as Time It Never Gets old.

Author: jvfunn1 from Zephyrhills FL
3 June 2009

Beauty and the Beast in my opinion never gets old! It's always young and magical. I love the characters, animation, music, and story. In the story a Prince gets transformed into a Beast for being selfish towards an enchantress disguised as an old woman. He later falls in love with a girl named Belle who he takes prisoner. His whole household who have also turned into objects from the enchantress also like her hoping that she falls in love with the Beast to break the spell and be human again. My favorite scene in the movie is towards the end when Lumiere (Jerry Orbach) and Cogsworth (David Ogden Siters)argue over who told who that Belle was gonna break the spell. That was funney. I also liked when Gaston told Belle that his little wife (Belle) was going to massage his feet while the little ones (Strapping Boys) played on the floor with the dogs. That was hilarious. Gaston in my opinion was one of the greatest animated villains ever because he's got a lot of comic in him. Filled with great animation, story, characters, and music written by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman (who sadly died of Aids before the film's release) Beauty and the Beast is an animated feature that'll go on forever and ever. I'm glad it's the only animated feature to win an award for Best Picture because I think it really deserved that and I think Walt Disney himself would of been very proud to know of that award. 10 out of 10.

A very popular Disney movie

Author: Atreyu_II from The world of artists
24 July 2007

The 30th animated Disney "classic" is, without a doubt, one of the most famous Disney classics, which is a good and a bad thing either, because its success tends somewhat to overshadow other very good Disney classics (often better than this). Or maybe what happens is that this movie gets the deserved attention, while others sadly do not have the same luck (such as "The Rescuers", "The Aristocats", "The Fox and the Hound", "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh", "Robin Hood" and others). That is the worst aspect of this movie's success. So, as one can see, it's not all roses.

Nevertheless, "Beauty and the Beast" is one of Disney's most original movies. To a point, it is every bit as creative and imaginative as "Alice in Wonderland", except that it isn't as eccentric as that one.

One thing that is very obvious from the beginning is that this is a french tale. It's quite easy to understand that because all the characters have french names. Plus, they often use french words such as "Bonjour" (which means "Good morning" in french). Lumière even uses the word «Sacré bleu» once. However, it's not very clear the exact place of our story. All we know is that it's somewhere in France.

As much as I don't like all of the movie's characters, some of them are very charming. For example: Lumière (the candelabra), Cogsworth (a clock), Mrs. Potts (a teapot), Chip (the cute little teacup), Belle, Maurice (Belle's father, who is also an inventor) and Philippe (the horse). It's funny that a horse is named Philippe (Philip in french) - LOL.

Belle is one of Disney's most beautiful chicks, together with Jasmine, Ariel and the Blue Fairy. Belle is also classy, charming, carefree, nonconformist, conservative and nice. All of this makes her an interesting character and, above all, different from the rest of her village's population, who see her as a strange girl because she likes to read and also because she can't stand Gaston (unlike the rest of women) neither the idea of being his "little wife". Belle is appropriately named like that (her name means beautiful in french).

Gaston (who is considered the villain of the movie) is a character who's got no culture at all, being the epitome of pure strength and no brain (like Biff Tannen from "Back to the Future"). Gaston is a tall, muscled, vain, arrogant, snobbish and chauvinistic guy with a heart of stone.

On the other hand, Gaston's follower and helper, Lefou, is more of a goofy guy than anything else, nearly like a comic relief. No wonder he is named Lefou (which means "The Fool" in french).

Monsieur D'Arque is a strange man with a sinister appearance that makes him seem to come from a terror film. For some children, he might be a bit of a creepy character.

My favorite character is Chip (he is the cutest of all, besides, his natural sweetness and innocence helps). However, Lumière and Belle come incredibly close to Chip when it comes to my favorite characters of this film.

The soundtrack isn't entirely spectacular, but the romantic ballad "Beauty and the Beast" is beautiful. It has 2 versions. Angela Lansbury's version is good, but the original one by Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson is extraordinary.

As for the cast, it is brand new comparing to older Disney films and most of them do well. Paige O'Hara and Angela Lansbury are among the best ones, but those who steal the show are Bradley Pierce as Chip and Jerry Orbach as Lumière. Jerry Orbach gives so much life and energy to Lumière, with such a convincing french accent.

The best part of the whole film is the famous ballroom dance sequence, which is wonderful, brilliant and very artistic (the graphics also make it look incredibly close to a live-action ballroom).

Generally speaking, this film has the main ingredients of an animated Disney movie: great picture quality (good designs, backgrounds, sceneries and colors), very good animation, creativity, originality, some charming characters, some romance, adventure, darkness, suspense, classic humor and so on...

The Prince (that is, the Beast as a human being) almost looks like Jean Michel Jarre with that long hair. That said, his change of heart during the movie is amazing. From a person who is spoiled, selfish, unkind and with an explosive temper, he becomes kind, gentle and even romantic.

Although the sequence "Human Again" was originally gonna be included in the movie, it was removed in the final version. It was recovered for the DVD. Yet, the version I consider the true one is the one without the sequence "Human Again", even if that one is not *officially* the movie's true version. But for me the true version is the one I know since 1991. It's the way I always knew it, so it makes perfect sense.

Beauty and the Beast

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
24 June 2005

I saw this Disney film some time in my childhood, so I was very eager to see it again when grown up, remembering bits and pieces, and especially hearing it was the first cartoon to be nominated the Oscar for Best Picture. Basically an old beggar with a special rose knocked on the door of selfish prince (apparently named Adam), and he turned her away twice, and when she revealed herself as a beautiful enchantress he tried to apologise to her, but seeing no love she punished him by turning him into a hideous beast. With a magic mirror as the only way to see the outside world, and a spell over the castle and all in it, the spell will be broken when he learns to love and earns their love in return before the last petal of the magical rose falls. Meanwhile, Belle (Paige O'Hara) is the bookworm and daughter of eccentric inventor Maurice (Rex Everhart) who tires of her life in the village, and is often pestered by handsome but rude and arrogant Gaston (Richard White) to marry him. Maurice leaves for a fair for one of his inventions, and when he gets lost and danger forces him into the castle, he becomes the prisoner of the Beast (Robby Benson) inside. Bell eventually finds the castle, and bargains with the Beast to have her take her father's place as the prisoner, and knowing she could be the one to break the spell he agrees, but his temper doesn't do him any favours. Bell refuses his order to have dinner with him, and the servants, candle stick formed Lumière (Jerry Orbach), carriage clock formed Cogsworth (David Ogden Stiers) and teapot formed Mrs. Potts (Angela Lansbury) go against the orders not to let her eat. Belle explores the castle, and breaks a rule not to enter the West Wing, where the rose is kept, angering the Beast and frightening her to run away, but encountering some wolves he saves her life, and she helps him heal his wounds. While Maurice leaves to go in search of Belle and Gaston plans to have him put in an insane asylum to force Belle to marry him, she and the Beast have been bonding some time, having dinner and a romantic ballroom dance. He allows her to use to mirror to see her father, and she is devastated to see him sick, and even though the rose has only hours till fully wilted he lets her go to help him, and she takes the mirror to remember him by. After saving Maurice and a mob threatening to put him in the asylum, Belle proves he is sane showing the Beast in the mirror, but Gaston, filled with murderous jealously, convinces the mob to help him go and kill the Beast. The mob storm the castle, but the servants fight against them and scare them away, while Gaston manages to find the Beast and corner him, and he is too depressed to fight back, but he gives back, and spares his life. He is happy to see Belle back, but after Gaston stabs him before falling to his death the Beast is dying from the injury, and when it looks like he is dead she whispers that she loves him. This comes just in time for the last petal that falls, and the Beast's body is lifted by magical lights that change him back into a human, Belle recognises the eyes of Prince Adam, they kiss for true love, all the servants and the castle are restored, and they all live happily ever after. Also starring Jumanji's Bradley Pierce as Chip, Jesse Corti as Lefou, Hal Smith as Philippe the horse, Jo Anne Worley as Wardrobe and Tony Jay as Monsieur D'Arque. The voices are all well chosen, the animation is superb with the moments of computer animation, including the ballroom scene with a wonderful swirl through the chandelier, the songs are all fantastic listening, and of course the story is captivating and will delight all, a must see animated musical fantasy. It won the Oscar for Best Music for Alan Menken and Best Song for "Beauty and the Beast" (sung by Lansbury in the film, and Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson at the end) (also nominated the Golden Globe), and it was nominated for Best Song for "Belle", Best Song for "Be Our Guest" (also nominated the Golden Globe) and Best Sound, it was nominated the BAFTAs for Best Original Film Score and Best Special Effects, and it won the Golden Globes for Best Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical and Best Original Score. It was number 22 on 100 Years of Musicals, it was number 34 on 100 Years, 100 Passions, it was number 23 on The 100 Greatest Family Films, and it was number 33 on The 100 Greatest Cartoons. Outstanding!

Even after two decades, this classic remains strong!

Author: CinemaCocoa from United Kingdom
13 April 2017

What a gorgeous and unique Disney movie this is.

When an inventor is imprisoned within a cursed castle, his daughter Belle goes to rescue him. But upon doing so she is trapped herself, and slowly learns of the castle's mysteries and its prince; a man under a monstrous spell.

1991's Beauty and the Beast walked away with two Academy Awards (for Original Score and Best Original Song) as well as the Golden Globes for the same awards but also for Best Picture (Musical or Comedy) and for me, as much as I love 1992's Aladdin, I would say Beauty and the Beast marks the end of the classic Disney era. What do I mean by that? Everything afterwards had a distinctly angular animation style, as well as an assortment of pop culture references or contemporary humour. This film however is heavily entrenched in the fairy tale, storybook formula that Disney-of-old relished in.

The film's greatest ingredients have got to be its three primary characters: the Beast, Belle and Gaston. They have such great layering and complexity for Disney characters. Belle may be "the girl wanting more from life" but we learn early on in the film that she is no fool; she sees straight through the narcissistic showboating Gaston instantly. She even bravely rescues her father from a monster, opposes Gaston at every turn and defends those she cares about from adversity. The Beast is a fantastic mix of incredible rage, sadness and childish stubbornness and reluctance. He is a great comedic foil with his assortment of servants-turned-household objects, a scary monster with a lovable buffoon inside. While Gaston… he has comedic yet surprisingly human motivations for his actions; he isn't powered by magic or gadgets, he's just a thick-skulled jock. The perfect villain for such an intelligent girl and her sensitive love interest.

The film is lovingly animated. The castle is both grand and full of foreboding, the servants are lively and charmingly designed. Who doesn't love Lumiere? In fact there's a lot of evidence of inspiration from Disney's third cinematic event in 1940, Fantasia. What with the living mops cleaning the castle to the fantastical dining song with Lumiere where plates and dinnerware fly around creating patterns and abstract motions. The film even includes one of Disney's first CGI interventions (technically The Great Mouse Detective's clock sequence was first) the ambitiously grand ballroom scene. It is all very colourful and exciting.

The songs, even for me and my lack of enthusiasm for musicals, are all enjoyable and very memorable! Even the villain's song, which often in Disney is a point of contention, is very entertaining. I can absolutely see why the Academy and others awarded the film so highly. Belle and The Beast's relationship is great too. With Belle's incarceration answering the question as to "why she doesn't run away", the two are forced to mingle and interact, making for great comedic and dramatic chemistry as the story continues.

There is one point that sticks out amongst this chemistry and excitable pacing, upon the beginning of the final act, the tone radically shifts as the plot is forced to escalate suddenly. It isn't bad, and it gives us a great climax, but it is a tremendous gearshift in pacing for a film that's only eighty- four minutes long.

Beauty and the Beast is a gorgeous film and I hate myself a little for abandoning it for over two decades. But it remains true to itself, in that I had fond memories for all those years and it has withstood the test of time.

The first animation to be nominated for the Oscar for best film

Author: Miguel Neto
3 June 2016

Beauty and the Beast made ​​history in being the first animation to be nominated for best picture, and is not for less , has a good story, a great look, a beautiful soundtrack, engaging characters , great dialogue , the chemistry of the characters main is excellent, not to mention the other characters who appear , some are pretty funny , others unbearable , the songs are good , Beauty and the Beast received adaptation Live Action French version , unfortunately it was not true , even with a beautiful view , the history has some modifications, and characters from the animation that not 's in the film, Beauty and the Beast is a great movie with a beautiful soundtrack, as well as being the first animation to be nominated for an Oscar . Note 8.3

Our heroine, Belle longs for adventure and little did she know, she would have one and it was truly a journey to remember.

Author: timelessparadise
20 October 2015

It was simply artful! Not only was the graphics superb, the music was resonating and it kind of blends well with the scenes at hand.

Beauty and the Beast was a great movie not only because of its physical appeal but also because of the waves of emotion felt from within. It empowered me to believe that what was seen on the outside isn't what was truly inside. "She warned him not to be deceived by appearances, for beauty is found within."

I think what I loved from the movie the most was how the character of Belle was built. Throughout the movie, it was seen that she was depicted as a humble and courageous heroine. I think I resonate with her the most since she desired so much more. She wants to venture out into the unknown and take the risks. And what I really admired was her faith that there is kindness in everyone (well, except for Gaston, just kidding). She believed the Beast that even if the world turned their backs on him, she still stood by him. (Be us against the world~)

It was truly engaging and powerful. I highly recommend this to everyone who are young and young at heart. Hands up, heads down, hats off to Disney for this amazing work of art.

Tale as old as time

Author: Anssi Vartiainen from Helsinki
14 October 2015

Song as old as rhyme. In a way that's the perfect way to sum up this film. In many ways the magnum opus of the Disney Animation Studios. The first animated film to be nominated for an Academy Award in the Best Picture category, still considered to be one of the greatest films ever made, a classic beloved by children and adults alike, a timeless tale about hatred turned into love, love twisted into hatred, about redemption, determination, sacrifice and willpower. An all-around good film, easily one of my favourite Disney films, and one of my favourite films in general.

You all know the story. You know Belle, Beast, Gaston, Lumière, Cogsworth and Mrs. Potts. You know the songs, the castle, the quiet French village. You know about the rose and the mirror, about the curse. You've all seen this movie already. And if for some baffling reason you haven't, you probably still know how the story goes. So I'm not going to talk about that. It's a great story, one of the best. That's all you need to know.

Instead, let me talk about what this movie has taught me. Belle taught me about being different, about being the odd one in a crowd. She taught me that it's okay to read, to dream, to stand up against the opinion of the many. Beast taught me about the importance of what's inside. He taught me that no matter who we are or what we look like or where we come from, it's what we do, how we act, how we treat others, that matters. Gaston taught me about the meaninglessness of public opinion. His popularity taught me that I had to make my own choices, that leaders are fallible, that good looks can hide twisted morals and empty souls. The servants of the castle taught me about loyalty. Maurice, Belle's father, taught me about not giving up. Belle and Beast together taught me about love. Their romance is considered to be one of Disney's finest for a reason.

Beauty and the Beast, to me, is one of those perfect films. Yes, you can nitpick and say, for example, that the CGI effects have aged a little bit in certain scenes. But what truly matters is the quality of the story. And I adore this story. It shaped me, as a child. It helped me grow into a better man, a better human being. And for that it has my eternal gratitude, respect and love.