IMDb > Beauty and the Beast (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 35: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Simply Beautiful

Author: (freakezette@hotmail.com)
19 November 2002

I just got this movie on the special edition dvd, and what can I say, this is such a great movie. I love it more than I did when I 9 and I would play with my Belle doll and run around the house singing the songs. The animation is gorgeous, you could never guess this movie came out 11 years ago, the songs, the story, the characters, it's just so great.

Almost Be the First Animation to Win Oscar

Author: Steven Prasetya (prasetya.steven@mailcity.com) from Singapore
16 March 2001

If only "The Silence of the Lambs" was not on the way, this movie could be the first animation to win Oscar as best picture. The characters are so alive, the music and songs are very entertaining, and the storyline is great.

The most memorable character is actually Lumiere. But other characters are also very well-developed.

Robby Benson is great as the Beast. He gets into character perfectly and is able to give the audience the right feeling at the right moment.

In terms of entertainment, it still looses out to both "Aladdin" and "The Little Mermaid". In terms of movie as a whole, maybe it's better. However, I still prefer the other two movies.

Wonderful, and my most favorite movie of all time!!!!!!

Author: Jonathan Young (joung37@gmail.com) from United States
15 November 2010

This wonderful Disney film is just magical and great, with its fun songs and touching story. I remember going on the Disney website and looking at the top 20 animated features of all the time, and guess what... This movie was #1!!!!!! Right when I saw that on the page, my face was starting to get really happy, while my eyeballs were wide open and my eyebrows were going up. My sister and I used to watch this movie when we were kids, about eight years ago, when I was seven and she was ten. I think this film is a very important masterpiece, and a lot of people would agree with me, because of all the things I just said. But who really makes this a worth-seeing movie is the heroine, Belle (also known as 'the Beauty'), because she is gorgeous and sweet all the time, plus is even considered to be the best Disney heroine of all time. She even resembles me in a nice and neat way, because I love to read books, see the good in everybody around me, and even willing to be selfless for everyone in the world. Most of the songs made it to the top 100 Disney songs of all time, with the exception of the Mob Song and Human Again. But Be Our Guest and Beauty and the Beast were really high the list. So if you are a Disney or romance fan, this definitely worth seeing. Verdict: 12 out of 10; Way Beyond Perfect!!

Capturing The Heart

Author: Melissa Mendelson from United States
1 November 2009

Illusion melted away. A world gone dark was brilliant again, and two hearts became one.

Beauty and the Beast is a beautiful tale that captures our heart. Its essence soars through us, reminding to not judge on appearances because deep beneath the layers lies more than what is seen. Its music pulls the strings of emotion, bringing laughter to our heart and tears to our eyes. Imagination drinks us in, and we are carried off across the pages of faraway worlds and extraordinary journeys. And an unforgotten tale is written, surrounding us in the depth of love, and making us wish to live more than the ordinary life.

Pure Beauty.

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
5 September 2009

Beauty and the beast is beautiful. It may sound a little gay to some, but they can go to hell. Beauty and the beast is one of the best animated films. I mean before Pixar came along, it was one of the best animated films ever. I was one of the rare few who loved The Aristorcats, my favorite. Beauty and the beast is a sad and romantic epic that was actually nominated for Best picture. Not best animated picture, best picture. Might I say, it damn well deserved it. Beauty and the beast was my favorite film of 1991. I ma sorry to say this, but I'm not going to go into the plot with you because I don't want to spoil any of the beauty for you. There aren't many voice talents, but they are great anyways. Angela Lansbury(Murder, she wrote), who I think has a cute voice, is cute as a teapot. Jerry Orbach is pretty funny as the candle. Those are really the only famous voice talents. The film is fantastic enough without voice talents. Like The Little Mermaid, the film is cute and an eyeful. I really had a great time with Beauty and the beast. it's a great film filled with story and it's one of the best animated films ever. Beauty and the Beast is true beauty and it's a beauty film.

My favourite of all Disney films

Author: walsh-22 from United Kingdom
29 June 2009

This is my favourite of all the Disney films, I just love all the aspects of the film- the music, the story, the characters and the animation.

It has stayed a favourite of mine since I first watched it on video. Beauty and the Beast has always been one of my favourite fairy tales and the film does justice to the spirit of the story. I really like the characters, I don't think there was one that I didn't like but my favourites have to be Belle voiced by Paige O'Hara, Lumiere voiced by Jerry Orbach and Cogsworth voiced by David Ogden Stiers.

The songs also make the film what it is, they are so catchy and you can't stop yourself singing along to these wonderful, jolly songs.

The animation is amazing and I know how so much has happened since the film came out and the technology has moved on considerably but it was breathtaking at the time particularly the ball room scene which has been talked about a lot and quite rightly.

It is a good film to watch when you have had a bad day, it is sure to brighten your day up again.

Just as I remembered it, as always

Author: julcltr (julcltr@telus.net) from Canada
10 April 2009

I remember first seeing this on VHS when I was four years old at a friend's house (my family couldn't get this on VHS because this is older than me), and, no surprise, I loved it. We also saw this in the IMAX a few years ago, and not only did I love it, I adored it, too. Since then, it renewed my love for Disney musicals. And now, watching it on DVD, it just keeps getting better and better every single time I see it. They say that most Disney movies are meant for kids, but they're really meant for the entire family, no matter how old you are. The only thing though, the beast might be quite scary for littlest kids, so make sure you're supervising them when they watch it. Oh, I neglected to mention that this film will be re-released again next year, in 3D! (Is this enough to grab your attention?)

Disney's beautifully animated twist on de Beaumont's famous fairy tale

Author: Julia Arsenault (ja_kitty_71) from Canada
27 February 2009

Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite French Fairy tales. I am terribly in particular about stories from different countries.

Based upon Madame Le Prince de Beaumont's famous fairy tale (with a few twists here and there), this film is about a beautiful young peasant woman named Belle is considered strange by the villagers because her preference for reading books and dislike of being courted by the local hero, Gaston, who is an egomaniac and 'positively primeval'. At one point Gaston offers his hand in marriage to Belle,but she rejects and this serves a hard blow to Gaston's ego.

While traveling to a fair, Maurice who is Belle's father and an eccentric inventor , becomes lost and loses his horse Phillipe in the night as wolves chase him. Cold and tired, he stumbles upon a mysterious castle and enters it. One by one, the enchanted household items, Lumière the candelabra, Mrs. Potts the teapot and Cogsworth the clock and head of the household warmly welcome him and shelter him from the cold. But a horrifying Beast discovers Maurice and, in a fury, locks him in a dungeon on top of the castle tower. Belle, who worries when Phillipe, returns home without him, decides to seek out her father. Eventually, Belle winds up at the Beast's castle. She finds him at the tower dungeon and tries to break him free, but the Beast catches her instead. She offers herself in exchange for her father's life, against his wishes. The Beast agrees and releases her father. That's all I could tell you folks, you will have to see the film for yourself how it ends.

I love the film's prologue, told in stained glass windows, with David Ogden Stiers' (Cogsworth) narration. And I also love the scene where Belle asks if she can see her father and the magic mirror reveals that Maurice is lost and sick in the forest. The Beast, having fallen in love with Belle, releases her to rescue her father; even though his heart is breaking and he would give up his humanity.

I do love Belle, beside being a bookworm (just like me, my mom and my grandmother), she is strong-willed, and not a slave to petty superficial things - being a house-wife and raising children. She is also independent and allow herself to see inner beauty without sacrificing her own values. Belle is a perfect role-model for girls. Beauty and the Beast was also the first animated movie to be nominated for the Oscar for Best Movie of 1991, and had an equally successful adaptation for Broadway in 1994.

Overall I love this film - from beginning to end, and you know, it's kind of hard to choose which film version of the story is the best I would say this version; the French version made in 1946 and the 1987 "Canon Movie Tales" version are the best to me.

A Sweet and Beautiful Love Story that Happens to be a Kids Movie

Author: ridiculionius from Canada
15 February 2009

Beauty and the Beast is arguably one of the best Disney films ever (second only to The Hunchback of Notre Dame), as well as one of the most touching love stories of all time. The relationship between Belle and the Beast is both funny and endearing, the songs are remarkably good, and the animation is beautiful. A lot of the humour is very witty (even though most of it was childish, it can also give the parents a chuckle or two), and, while it is quite violent for a kid's movie, it gives very good messages; the most poignant of which is "appearances aren't everything".

It's based on a very old story, but it has been altered to become Disney-fied. Belle (French for "beautiful") is a gorgeous but odd girl who confounds her entire town with her looks and strange ways. Her father is an inventor, ridiculed as well for his seeming madness, though everyone accepts that he's harmless.

When Belle's father goes off to enter his wood-chopping invention at the fair, he gets lost and stumbles into a strange castle inhabited by living objects, like clocks, candelabras, feather dusters and teapots. However, his warm welcome at the castle is cut short when a ferocious beast appears and locks him away. When her father doesn't return home (but his horse does), Belle goes off in search of him, only to find the castle herself and to exchange herself for her father. The Beast keeps her prisoner, in hopes that she will fall in love with him and break the spell that has been cast over him and his servants. But between the Beast's temper, Belle's stubbornness, and the constant plotting of muscle-man Gaston, determined to win Belle at any cost, this won't be so easy...

As I said before, the relationship between Belle and the Beast is funny and endearing - funny, because at first, they can't stand each other. The Beast appears crude and frightening, and Belle is determined to be as difficult as possible. Once they begin to bond, however, a different kind of comedy emerges - the Beast is hilariously awkward and eager to please (though he isn't really sure how), and Belle is gently guiding him in the ways of human interaction. It's endearing for almost the same reason - essentially, the film turns from a tale of a jailer and captor's unexpected romance, into the story of two outcasts who find both acceptance and love in each other.

The music is wonderful (again, as I said before), especially the songs "Gaston", "There May be Something There (That Wasn't There Before)" and the eternal classic "Beauty and the Beast", sung by the teapot character Mrs Potts, voiced by Angela Lansbury. The lyrics are at times funny, at times poetic, at times somewhere in between.

The merging of the timeless love story, the conflict and drama, the humour, the songs, the animation, and the classic Disney talking things that shouldn't talk creates a thing of beauty. The story of a pair of oddities who fall for each other; the story of a man who was a monster; the story of a beast who learns to love; the story of the girl who taught him how. Truly a masterpiece.

More Than Meets The Eye

Author: Milanista90 from United States
1 January 2009

We all know that animations tend to get overlooked, as many believe that they are directed towards the children audience. Well, in some cases that is true, but this one is anything but. The Lion King is widely considered the best animation of all time, and it certainly is spectacular, but Beauty and the Beast elevates the level of animations to an unprecedented level. To be honest, it doesn't feel like a child's tale at all, with some themes being rather mature (although there is no inappropriate for a child). As with all Disney animations, imagery and symbolism is frequent, but in this case it works flawlessly. Characterization is utterly spectacular, and the characters themselves are perfectly designed. The music is enthralling, and the character songs are once again top notch. While children will certainly enjoy this, adults will be even more astonished at how masterfully crafted this animation is. To this day, it is the only animation to be nominated for Best Picture, and it should have won that as it truly was the best film of the year. Believe me, this movie is that good. If you haven't seen it, do so as soon as possible, because there are only a handful of movies that are actually better than this. Remember, this might be an animation, but if you look past its exterior, and absorb the message of the film, you will discover that it is something much more...it is beautiful.