IMDb > An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

my favorite movie ever

Author: todd2u from Ohio
8 June 2002

This is my absolutely most favorite cartoon movie ever. it has action, romance, adventure, and gun slinging. The music was really good. I loved every minute of this movie. I'm a big fan. I've loved this movie since I was in 1st grade,( thats when it came out into theaters). I recommend this movie to anyone who loves a good cartoon movie. This one is a classic. You wont be disappointed.

A worthy sequel to a great classic

Author: Akbar Shahzad (rapt0r_claw-1) from Karachi, Pakistan
19 July 2004

Fievel, the cute little mouse from An American Tail, is going west for Fievel Goes West. This is one of very few sequels that really deserve the title of the original classics. Fievel Goes West may not have as many touching moments as the original, but that's because it's more of a fast-paced western comedy rather than a heartwarming, sometimes tragic tale (tail?) as An American Tail was.

A by-product of the comedic approach is the look of the movie. Instead of the dark, dull, forbidding color scheme of the first movie, the sequel is supposed to be bright, funny, and altogether welcoming. Thus, you get bright sunshine (sometimes a bit too bright from the characters' point of view) and varied color. The animation hasn't changed all too much, unlike The Land Before Time's sequels for video. The animation retains a bit of Don Bluth's touch, though still a bit different. Altogether, the animation is just about as good as it could be in 1991.

The film as a whole is a gem, but the one thing truly, wonderfully beautiful thing about Fievel Goes West is James Horner's immortal soundtrack. The songs are just as good as An American Tail, which is saying a lot; besides, you have a brutally edited reprise of "Somewhere Out There" from the first film, sung by Tanya. Speaking of Tanya, she's voiced by someone different, presumably to allow for her great singing. For proof, all you need to do is listen to "Dreams To Dream". Great though the aspiring singer is, the end credits rendition of the song by the crazy Lindstradt lady is beautiful.

In Fievel Goes West, our title protagonist is lost on the way to Green River, where he will supposedly find a new lease on life with his family and lots of other hopeful mice. But the dream is shattered when Fievel explores the train, and finds a bunch of cats and a huge spider, led by the smooth talking Cat R. Waul, plotting to befriend the mice before turning them into mouse-burgers by means of a mysterious "better mousetrap"! But Fievel is found out, and the spider knocks him off the train, leaving him hopelessly lost in the desert. I thought they might have made up something different, not the whole mouse-gets-lost-must-return-to-family routine. I couldn't help feeling they'd done that before. However, Dom DeLuise returns for a bigger part alongside the legendary canine sheriff Wylie Burp.

So, overall, what of this sequel? Well, it certainly does the original justice. Yes, it does lack the heart of the original, but having less heart than An American Tail does in no way mean being heartless. Don Bluth might not have had a hand in this, but Fievel Goes West lives up to Bluth's classic story of a little mouse called Fievel.

Animation-9/10; Story-7/10; Plot-7/10; Comedy-8.5/10 = Overall-8/10

A charming little film...

Author: Nick Jamieson (Machiko) from Sherwood Park, Alberta
25 September 2001

I'm not necessarily one to grab a bowl of popcorn, dim the lights, and plop onto the couch and throw in, say, "Snow White." Animated films, specifically those Disney and otherwise aimed at five-to-ten year-olds, have never really interested me. However, this movie was one of such grace and humor, I can't help but enjoy it over and over. The lovable Fievel returns once more as his family journeys across the Great old USA in search of a better life in the west. Unfortunately, the nefarious Cat R. Waul had some rather devious plans for them. John Cleese is so funny, it's hard to sit through any of his movies and not laugh once. Dom DeLouise is also quite comic, being one of the greater comics of the past two decades- for proof, see Cannonball Run series, Robin Hood-Men In Tights, and this movie. "Dancing Buffalo Bones? Nah!"

Better than the original

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
21 August 2005

I enjoyed the original "American Tail" movie because of its appeal towards adults as well as children (it uses mice and cats as a metaphor for the Jews and Germans during WWII, with immigrants fleeing to the US). However the dark edge of the movie was a bit too much for me and I felt as a children's tale it was probably a bit too scary.

Don Bluth returned in '91 to film the sequel to his last hit, this one a satire of the westerns. Fievel the mischievous mouse returns as his parents are shipping off to Green River to escape the cats, led by Cat R. Wall (voiced by John Cleese).

Along the way a spider (voiced by Jon Lovitz) tries to kill Fievel and he falls off the train, into the desert, where he pines for his feline friend from the first film (voiced by Dom DeLuise).

Eventually Fievel finds his way out of the desert and finds a dog-sheriff (voiced by Jimmy Stewart) who decides to help train him so that he can fight off Cat R. Wall, who has moved out west to spread his reign of terror.

I enjoy this movie more than the first one because it's not as dark (something I just have a problem with in a kid's movie). The satire isn't as strong and the whole WWII edge is lost but it still retains the cats vs. mice, which is a nice element.

The animation in my opinion is more classical and the musical sequences are more lively. The voice talents are far more impressive and I love Jimmy Stewart and John Cleese in this movie - talk about great casting! Overall this is better than the original and it surprises me that more people don't actually know about it. As a nice little family adventure film it's pretty entertaining and in terms of animation it represents everything Don Bluth is known for.

Perfect for the kids...

Author: moviemanMA from Massachusetts
11 July 2005

When I look back on my childhood, I think of fond, fuzzy memories, often linked with good movies. The Jungle Book, Peter Pan, really any animated movie will do, especially Disney. For some reason, these movies capture what it means to be a kid, to have fun. What we have hear is one of those funny, heartwarming treasures that will light up a child's face when he or she sees it.

In An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, Fievel Mousekewitz and his family are tricked into leaving the big city in the hopes of finding freedom "way out west". Little do they know that the evil feline Cat R. Waul (John Cleese) is behind this. With the help of his friend Tiger (Dom DeLuise) and sheriff Wiley Burp (Jimmy Stewart), this trio will try and take down Cat R. Waul and his gang of villainous cats.

This well animated sequel to An American Tail is one that will bring a smile to anyones face. Clever humor that appeals to little kids is found throughout. This movie is one that will become an instant classic in your collection. It can be passed down from generation to generation. Granted, this isn't a movie that will be watched late at night by you and your buddies. This movie does what it's supposed to do, entertain the little ones. Your children will have you rewinding over and over again (thank God for DVD's!).

Excellent sequel for all ages that will warm your heart!

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
26 July 2006

If you ask me, this is an excellent sequel for all ages that will warm your heart! When Tiger (voice of Dom DeLuise) got dumped, I wanted to cry. Although some of the characters were diabolical, I liked everybody. Well, it's hard to say which character was my favorite. If I had to choose, I'd probably choose Tiger, although the mice were good too. The music was good, everyone was cast perfectly, and the direction was flawless. In conclusion, I highly recommend this excellent sequel for all ages that will warm your heart to anyone who hasn't seen it. You're in for a real treat and a good time, so go to the video store, rent it or buy it, kick back with someone close to you, and watch it.

In some ways, better and worse than the original

Author: Vladimir from Sydney, Australia
1 November 2003

For whatever reason, The American Tail films were two of the films I was brought up on. I still own both of them on video and still watch them from time to time. In most ways, this sequel is worse than the original. The brief story of Feivel being separated and lost from his family again is really underplayed in comparison to the first one, which revolved purely around this plot. In Feivel Goes West it's almost as though the family are a bit blasé about losing their only son. It's also hard to top the musical score of the first one. There is a repeat singing of "Somewhere Out There" that is rudely cut short but without the whole song, it doesn't have the same warming effect. The feature song of this film, "Dreams to Dream" is very beautiful, however it and the other songs of FGW can't match up to those of AAT.

Despite these flaws, there is quite a lot more to enjoy in this film. If you're a fan of westerns as I am, you will enjoy an animated take on the theme, particularly the very enjoyably cartoonist showdown at the end. Secondly, the voice cast of FGW is far superior to that of AAT. Not content with Dom DeLuise as the loveable cat Tiger, they add to that cast for the sequel the likes of John Cleese, Amy Irving, Jon Lovitz and none other than the great James Stewart himself playing the sheriff of a one-horse western town. They're all impeccably cast and pull off a wonderful job.

All this said and done, is the sequel better or worse? I have to say I think it's completely equal. Still the same level of childish fun and heartwarming moments, wonderful voice talents and great musical score. Definitely worth showing your kids. ***1/2 / *****

James Stewart's voice was the one and only highlight of this movie.

Author: (moviebuff-2) from NC
27 May 2001

This episodic sequel to "An American Tail" is worth seeing if for nothing more than to hear James Stewart's voice as Sheriff Wylie Burp. Stewart is my favorite actor of the past times, and it's always a delight to hear him. The rest of the movie is mediocre and forgettable at best. Some people thought it was an improvement over the first film, but I wonder why? Sure, the original was sentimental and predictable, but it had the classic song "Somewhere Out There" written by James Horner, and also a much better, straight-forward story. The second movie seems more of a Saturday-morning cartoon style western comedy. There's very little story or heart. I guess more people prefer the light-heartedness of this movie than the sentimentality of the first. Now I won't knock this movie for some who like it, but I wish the first film was more appreciated by people. See this only for James Stewart's voice. Note: I also liked the main character of Fievel better as an immigrant from the first movie.

In some ways better, in some ways worse than the original.

Author: VelvetOctopusProductions from Australia
8 September 2011

I wasn't a huge fan of the original 'An American Tail', but with my curiosity for animated films, I took a look at the sequel, the film I'm reviewing now.

All the voice actors are back, the music, the animation looks pretty damn similar too, but one thing is gone, the director. Don Bluth was replaced by Simon Wells, in his directorial debut. As someone who finds Simon Wells' films to be enjoyable but not top notch (especially in the writing department), this is exactly what we get here.

Many people will complain that there are very few plot similarities to the original, this is true, the film's plot is nothing like the original, which I thought was a good thing in my opinion.

The characters I found to be much more memorable compared to the original, including the villain, played by John Cleese. Dom DeLuise returns as tiger and is much more funny and less annoying than in the original. Feivel the mouse continues to have a lack of a real character but I still thought he was an improvement to the original, possibly because of his maturing voice actor.

The film does not contain nearly the same dark elements as the original, but in my opinion, is more funnier and more fun. The songs are either catchy or not at all, the films signature song 'Dreams to Dream', is as good or possibly better as the original's 'Somewhere out there'. The score by James Horner is a treat, just like the original.

All real complaints come from the writing, there are small plot holes, a pointless subplot revolving around Feival's sister Tanya, and sometimes the plot seems a little too convenient.

Kids will probably like the film, fans of the original may or may not, I personally rate it lower than the original, but by not too much.

Cleese, Stewart, DeLuise, all good...

Author: Cephyran from Alberta
20 September 2003

As far as animated movies go, this is one I enjoyed. The American Tail story takes on a classic western feel as Fievel and his family journey into the heart of the west. The real quality comes from John Cleese as the slimy conniving cat, and the late great James Stewart as Wylie Burp, the reserved town sheriff in the form of a bedraggled dog. A lot of the fun is the dynamic action humor of the last quarter. But, the big comedic boost for these movies is Dom DeLuise, who is just great as the overweight loveable cat. He's one of the reasons to see this.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]