IMDb > All I Want for Christmas (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

All I Want for Christmas More at IMDbPro »

A Cute Little Christmas Story

Author: livingdeadgirl_13 from vancouver
20 December 2002

All I want For Christmas is about two kids that are very upset by their parents divorce and the only thing they want for christmas is for them to get back again and be a happy family. It's a cute nice little story, but this stuff never happens in real life. Divorced Parents hardly ever get back together, it's an ugly reality, but that's why we have movies such as these to make us feel happy. Thora Birch gives a great performance, cute little thora. I would give All I Want For Christmas 8/10

I love this film

Author: Peter Chrichard (Mr. Pete) from Darlington, England
20 August 1999

This film carried me through my parents separation when i was Twelve years old. I was left in a total state of shock which imprisoned me in my bedroom for several weeks with the only comfort being the television, VCR and a copy of all i want for christmas.

I can't honestly say what it is I like about this film, it could be one thing or a million things.....it is completely mesmorising. From the bad acting to the in-film songs......this film is a classic.

Having seen the film now around 200 times I know the complete script off by heart and can pre-empt every forthcoming scene with childish glee.

Opening scene

"From the top" "God bless thee......"

I am not mental

Adorable Christmas movie

Author: Sarah-Embry from Canada
13 January 2003

I think this is a great movie. Perfect for families to watch on christmas eve together. Ethan Embry(credited as Ethan Randall) gave a stunning performance for a 12-13 year old, in only his second starring role. Flawless New York accent. Thora Birch was of course perfect for the role of Hallie, and seeing Leslie Nielson as Santa was cool. Kevin Nealon deserves some credit for his role, that man always amuses me.

Although the movie is quite typical for a family christmas film, I like it better than most.

8.5/10 stars.

Good family entertainment

Author: Monika-5 from United States
10 October 2000

I saw this years ago at the theater at Christmastime. I haven't seen it since, but I remember it made me feel warm and happy. Leslie Nielson and Lauren Bacall as Santa and Grandma were both wonderful. Thora Birch's first major role was in this movie. She played the cute as a button little sister and was absolutely charming. Too bad my most vivid memory of her these days is seeing her topless in American Beauty. But that's another story. Good holiday fun!

um yes

Author: flaye2000 from Royal oak, mi
22 December 2003

I greatly enjoyed this movie...yeah...not many have seen it, but its one of me and my bestfriends favorite movies..i recommend it. Its cheezy, but also such good times...i really dont remember where i first saw this movie. Since mice are one of my favorite animals it made it all the more better.

Family fun

Author: GUMBLOID from Canada
17 November 2006

I enjoyed this movie the first time around. True there may be some cliché themes, but it is a Christmas movie. So, give it a break. I know the critics hated it. Perhaps they lost sight of what the movie is supposed to be about: asking Santa for the ultimate gift a re-united family.

Now that I am a parent I appreciate this film even more. The daughter who is now 6, loves the film and can immediately identify with the character Hailey, played by Thora Birch. Laruen Bacall reminds me a lot of my own grandmother. Bottom line: if you haven't seen this film yet, watch it with an open mind. Even better, watch it with a child.

A good film for all families and broken familys alike

Author: Neo-21
10 July 1999

This movie is a great movie for all those who have been in a situation that you thought you would have no control of. This movie goes with the whole parent trap idea of getting two parents back together. Through a series of events they attempt to. This movie gives hope to all young children who's parents have split. For those children who's parents haven't it's good family fun.

Thora Birch ( Monkey Trouble, Now and Then) is young in this movie, she's very cute though. Ethan Embry ( Can't Hardly Wait, Empire Records) is also very good in this movie, his performance is fairly powerful for a kids movie, you really understand how much he wants his parents together. Leslie Nielsen plays a good Santa Clause, it's a small part but he plays it well. Lauren Bacall plays a very impressive role, her character is very down to earth and a very likable person. She plays a veteran actress in this movie who knows what's going on around her.

If you haven't seen this movie I suggest renting it. It's worth a rent, you just have to adapt to the fact that it's a movie for younger kids, but it's a movie we can all relate to.

Sweet and Simple

Author: jefferies55 from United States
17 August 2007

This cheesy little Christmas movie is my favorite of all time. When my children were younger we never missed sitting and watching it together. Now we all own a copy on DVD and it has become our traditional Christmas movie along with the classics. The costumes in this movie, especially Santa's, are gorgeous. The relationships between parents and children, brother and sister, grandmother... are endearing. The performance of Baby It's Cold Outside is a definite highlight. The movie does a good job of giving off the New York feel of Christmas. I hate to admit it, but my children and I so love this movie, that I am Nana to my grandchild because of it.

Parent Trap at Christmas...cute, predictable but fun and entertaining

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
18 January 2015

I think I'm beginning to realize that its very easy to have exactly the right expectations when going into a Christmas film. You can read a synopsis or even a title in some cases and you should know exactly what it will be. All I Want For Christmas is one of those films. Its not amazing, its not terrible, its a cute, fun, family friendly movie about two kids trying to get their parents back together. Its similar to Parent Trap (though not as good) and set at Christmas to give it some ambiance. The cast is good, the story is good, the direction is good...everything is good. Someone looking for something unique or extremely emotional won't find it here. This is mildly predictable and obvious and you know how it will turn out and it doesn't try to extend itself outside of the box.

Ethan Embry and Thora Birch are insatiably adorable as the O'Fallon siblings who want nothing more than their beloved parents to be back together again. Both have decent charisma on screen and they are really good together. They are definitely believable as mildly trouble makers with a plan. Harley Jane Kozak and Jamey Sheridan are their parents and they are also good in their roles. They suit the roles, they're believable and entertaining without being anywhere near mind blowing. The film even features a couple of legends in small supporting roles, Lauren Bacall and Andrea Martin.

The best way to describe this film is a cute made for TV type film. I actually think it probably had a theatrical release but it has more of that feel to it. It definitely has a certain nostalgic feel to it for a lot of 80's kids and they love it for that reason and there is nothing wrong with that but if you're going into it now as an adult for the first time, you'll find it mildly entertaining but mostly forgettable. If you look at director Robert Lieberman you'll see a long history of Television specials which definitely plays into the feel of the film. He is all over the board for genre but if he plays everything simple enough he could spread himself over various genres. I feel like I've trashed this movie throughout this review but that isn't my intention. Its just very simple and very cute but not much more. It was still fun to watch. 7/10

everyone hated, somehow I loved...

Author: mcfly-31 from anaheim, ca
30 December 2001

One of the few films where I first say that chances you'll like it are slim. It's childish, poorly acted in spots, completely unbelievable. But also extremely harmless and a rare Christmas adventure. Randall and Birch's parents got divorced earlier in the year. They aren't quite prepared for their first Christmas as a broken family. Little Birch (who's adorable) asks Santa to get them back together, but Randall knows better that it's pretty much left up to him. That's probably the element I enjoyed most about the film, as the older brother wanting to grant his little sisters Christmas wish. So, they hatch one of those totally implausible schemes to get their folks back, where everything falls perfectly into place and could only succeed in movie land. But, again, I was into it (and a nice bonus is that the film is wonderfully edited). Though I could've done without the obligatory moment where Santa flies thru the air and really does exist. Such a worn out scene that should've been dropped. But, maybe it was the atmosphere of the snow and seasonal setting, and innocence of the characters that had me compelled. Randall is an absolutely terrible young actor, but when with Birch, the two have a terrific chemistry as bro and sis. Which baffles me, as Randall had already done a film earlier in the year ("Dutch", with Ed O' Neill) and though he wasn't awesome, he was at least decent. Here he constantly repeats himself, rambles a lot and is always adding a nervous giggle. Made him hard to watch at times. Same with Oberer as his crush. She tends to talk with a smile and shortness of breath. Birch comes off best as the spunky 7-year-old. Bacall is barely glimpsed, with Sheridan and Kozak good as the folks. The ending loses points as well, with Randall's endless speech about wanting to be a family again. Then the expected return of Kozak's cliche, tight-ass boyfriend so he can berate her kids and make her realize he aint the one. But I loved Randall's last line of "Thank you, Santa!" after being kissed on the neck by Oberer. So if you need one for the kids or maybe a viewing by the whole family, give this a shot. Surprised by the G-rating, though. Talk of divorce, one sort of swear (the word "sucks") and a big painting of a naked woman with huge knockas (and, yes, its complete with her "flower" exposed as well).