IMDb > "Salute Your Shorts" (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Greatest Show of My Childhood

Author: Brandon Hall from Pennsylvania
2 February 2003

This has to be one of the greatest shows ever aired in the history of television. First off, it starts at camp, which is always interesting. It was about a group of teenage campers facing everyday problems, at camp! The writing for the show was very creative, and it was very well acted. It seems like Nickelodeon is unable to air shows like this today because the crappy cartoons take up the whole schedule. I wish that Nickelodeon would just take one week and air episodes of "Salute Your Shorts," "Hey Dude," "Welcome Freshmen," "You Can't Do That On Television," "Nick Arcade," and "Wild and Crazy Kids." Maybe if these shows would air today, a new generation would be able to enjoy them. Ah, those were the days when you would come home from school and have these shows to look forward to. Too bad they've taken it away.

I miss back when...

Author: dmarie8908 from United States
27 August 2005

I bet anyone my age who had cable television can remember the greatness of good old Nickelodeon. Salute Your Shorts was absolutely my favorite show! The plots were easy to understand and the characters were (mostly) likable. Whenever I see someone watching Nickelodeon all I can think of is the hours I spent watching the greatest television. I suggest that Nickelodeon brings back all the shows from my childhood: Salute Your Shorts, Clarissa Explains It All, The Secret World of Alex Mack, Rocko's Modern Life, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, The Adventures of Pete and Pete, Double Dare with Marc Summers, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Guts, the old Rugrats(before they grew up and before they went to Paris), and Doug. It seems like yesterday when i heard the Patti Mayonnaise music, got extremely scared from a television show, watched Sam climb into Clarissa's window by climbing a ladder and Alex Mack turn into this liquid mercury stuff, went through the dryer at the laundromat to find Spunky, got extremely slimy with someone else's family, talked to some big rock, used a screwdriver to get out of a playpen, climbed a huge mountain, and went to summer camp. I guess those shows are considered classics now and I really hope that kids who grew up with these shows never forget about them.

Aw-ful Waff-el! Aw-ful Waff-el!

Author: Scott (scott.m.hathaway@gmail.com) from Greensboro, N.C.
22 December 2001

My second favorite non-animated show on Nickelodeon. The first, of course, would have to be the Adventures of Pete and Pete. There were so many great things about this show, they're too many to list. All I can say is Nick needs to get back in gear and start running these old shows that came of Nickelodeon back when I was a kid. Shows like Pete and Pete, Rocko's Modern Life, Salute Your Shorts (of course) Clarissa Explains it All (did you know she went to see Pearl Jam in one episode, and Nirvana in another?) and maybe even some Roundhouse. Definitely don't bring back stupid Alex Mack or even Hey! Dude. I wasn't really too fond of either of those shows. They were just too cheesy without enough comedy. Hell, Alex Mack wasn't even a comedy, it was just a sad attempt at a kid's action/drama.

All I can say is, bring back the better shows. The shows from back in the day when the ads for Nick had a dog in a karate outfit dancing on two legs while an ocapella sang "Ni-ni-ni-n'nick-nick-nick- Nick-el-o-deon!

A Great Show!

Author: Ginger87 from New York City
4 June 2005

I remember watching this show when I was little on Nickelodeon. I haven't seen it in a long time and I really miss it. I remember watching this show with other Nickelodeon classics, like the older Rugrats episodes, Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, Aaahh! Real Monsters, Double Dare, Legends of the Hidden Temple, and many other great Nick shows. I really miss the days when Nick aired good shows like this.

Salute Your Shorts told the story of a bunch of kids at camp Anawanna. There was the camp counselor Kevin Ug Lee who the kids always abused, which was hysterical. There was also the mysterious Dr. Kahn, who was never seen, only heard. He was in charge of the camp. My favorite episode was "Ellen Comes to Camp". I give this show 10/10 stars.

One of Nickelodeon's greatest!

Author: Joel (Tenchi64589@aol.com) from Flower Mound, Texas
28 January 2004

Man, I used to not be able to wait for the weekends, and just sit there until 2 PM and just switch it to Nickelodeon and watch this show.

I think this show not only made me crack up compulsively, but it also opened me up to classical music.

I have way too many favorite episodes to name... especially Pinsky's first episode.

Is it just me, or did anyone think Dina was damn hot?

Too bad all this politically correct crap has flooded Nick now.

It was one of the greats... along with Pete and Pete, the early episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark, and Hey Dude.

BRING 'EM BACK!!!

Memorable show about summer camp...

Author: Mulliga from United States
7 July 2003

"Salute Your Shorts" (SYS) began with all the stereotypical characters. It became something else entirely. With inspired mayhem like a visit from Ug's horrific niece to a capture the flag game gone "Apocalypse Now," SYS is a sister show to "Hey Dude" - somewhat realistic, but always funny. The use of classical music (such as Tchaichovsky's "Marche Slave") as a soundtrack in many places gives the show a nice ironic, surreal feel that current Nick comedies sorely lack.

Fave Eps

Capture the Flag - Very cool spoofs of many war movies. Go Donkey Lips and ZeeZee!

Wrestling Team - Seeing Donkey Lips and Sponge trying to make the team is hilarious and heartwarming, too.

A night at the movies - A change of setting means cinema based hilarity.

great screwball comedy

Author: cousteau
14 September 2000

Before I saw this show, I never really knew the stigmas attached to the word *CAMP* and the dread that kids have over it. I've never been, maybe that's why!

Anywayz-z-z, I enjoy all the characters, but most of all, my fave would have to be Ug-Lee. He is *hilarious* as the hated goofy, but good-guy counselor. He provided 99.999% of the slapstick and physical comedy of "Salute". (Remember when he goes into a movie theatre, and tells the concession lady, "I'll take a popcorn, AND YOU, to go!"(goofy laugh)?!)

My favourite episode, I think, was either the one where Budnick falls for Dina, or the one with the curse of that ox skull, when the guys split from the girls and each go into a cave, when Dina and Telly are fighting at first, but then make-up, while the guys try plucking one of Ug's nosehairs out for the "skull" ritual.

Of course, who could forget Capture the Flag and all those food fights?

-Sep

Holds up after all these years

Author: spectre316-1 from USA
18 August 2003

"Salute Your Shorts" may not be the finest television program ever created, but it sure does rank pretty high when concerning Nickelodeon shows. Thanks to Nick GAS (a channel that also airs "Double Dare," "Finders Keepers," "Legends of the Hidden Temple," etc) I've been catching it once or twice every weekend this summer.

I wasn't expecting much, to tell you the truth. I was a young kid the last time I saw this show, and, of course, my tastes have since irreversibly changed.

I was quite surprised to find a very entertaining show. The cinematography and camera angles are actually compelling; the direction is sure-handed and solid. Although the acting can sometimes lean a bit toward the amateurish side at times, it kind of adds to the show's charm. Don't get me wrong -- there is some really good acting here, too.

One of the few old Nickelodeon shows to hold up so well, "Salute Your Shorts" is a lost classic that deserves far more credit than it gets.

What a great show!

Author: Juniore from georgia
2 January 2002

This show was fabulous. It was original, creative, and enjoyable. It had everything u could ever want. The characters on this show were interesting, and the plotlines and settings were dramaticly nice. The only negative thing about this show is that it cancelled so quickly. They should have made more episodes. 26 is not enough. But since it's over, they should at least bring back the wonderul reruns of it.

great screwball comedy

Author: stu-22 from tracy, CA
27 May 2000

This was my favorite show on Nickelodeon as a little kid. My favorite episode was always the one about the Capture the Flag game against the other camp. My favorite part was when Donkey Lips came up behind a guy and creamed him with a water balloon up close while he was on the ground. Michael was a pretty cool guy, but I think his replacement, Pinsky, was a lot more animated. I also enjoyed the schemes they both pulled along with Sponge, Donkey Lips, and Budnick. Ug was also hilarious in the ways that he made a complete a** of himself all the time. I don't think Nickelodeon airs the show anymore. A definite kids show classic.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]