Home Improvement (TV Series 1991–1999) Poster

(1991–1999)

86 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
I loved that show, and it's so hard to see it go.
Actress26 May 1999
I have watched the show "Home Improvement" ever since 1991, when I was in second grade. I must say that it is one of the absolute best shows on television, and it is so hard to see it go. I have followed the show from the time the boys were in elementary school to now, when they are all teenagers. The ideas and techniques that were put into this show are superb, like never showing Wilson Wilson's face, and the fact that Tim always got hurt in every episode! Those things kept people coming back for more. The show kept you laughing for a half hour, and also kept you crying at the final bows of the last show. The actors in this show could'nt have done a better job, and I will miss tuning in to see all of them every Tuesday. It has been a good eight years; thank goodness there will still be reruns playing! And one more thing; I LOVED how they had Al walk out in a plaid tuxedo when he took his bow! We finally saw your face Wilson!
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Truly Entertaining And Extremely Funny
mwvb15 July 2000
Tim Allen is just the best as the tool man and the rest of the cast as well provides continuous jokes and mishaps throughout every show that make it possible to watch each show more than once.

Besides just being entertaining the show deals with some important issues specifically about the differences of both male and female and their weaknesses as well as strengths.

This show is one of my two favourite shows of all time. American sitcoms can't get much better than this.
20 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The most entertaining show I've ever watched on TV
stoogedude9 October 2005
Home Improvement ranks at #1 of my all-time favorite shows ever. I have seen every episode of the show at least 10 times and I never get tired of them. Tim Allen is very funny in this show, and I will forever be a huge fan of his because of this show. The show had an excellent cast and they had great chemistry. This show would still be as good if it were still on the air, but unfortunately, Earl Hindman passed away in late 2003, a man whose character, Wilson, helped drive the show. There was never a show before this of this level of entertainment, and there will never be one like it again. Many of the people that I know always talk about how good this show is. This is a show that I hope will be played in reruns for many years to come.
47 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great fun for everyone
Petri Pelkonen9 September 1999
Home Improvement offers something for everyone in the family. It has these parents Tim Taylor (Tim Allen) and Jill Taylor (Patricia Richardson) and they have these teen boys Brad (Zachery Ty Bryan), Randy (Jonathan Taylor Thomas) and Mark (Taran Noah Smith).Tim has this show on TV called Tool Time with his Tool Time buddy Al (Richard Karn).On Tool Time Tim usually hurts himself and it's always a big disaster.And there is the tool girl Heidi (Debbe Dunning).The Taylor's have this neighbour Wilson (Earl Hindman) that the Taylor's can ask the advice for the problems.Wilson's face is always covered with something.So on Home Improvement you can watch an ordinary family with ordinary problems.And laugh at the same time.Too bad that the show ended this year.They did have great eight years.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
hilarious
mattkratz1 May 2001
This tv show ranks among my all-time favorites. After watching a couple Tim Allen comedy sketches, I saw where they got the basis of the show's humor and plot, and it was good. Allen shines as the accident-prone Tim the tool man Taylor, who wanted more power and offered advice on his cable tv show, but was a total klutz at home. His wife Jill, three kids, friend and co-host Al, and neighbor Wilson (whose face you never saw, and they came up with pretty creative ways to hide it) were around to put up with him.

Great TV entertainment!
23 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of my favorite shows ever...
Seth Nelson22 September 2005
I just want to say that "Home Improvement" is one of my favorite shows ever! Why? Because it's fun and funny! From the very first episode where Tim modifies the dishwasher using an air compressor which then causes the dishwasher to blow up!, all the way to Tim dreaming how he can move the Taylor's house all the way to Indiana, "Home Improvement" was one of the greatest, most imaginative shows ever made. Of course, this show "was the 90s." Much like Thursday nights at 8 in that decade meant "Seinfeld" was on, Tuesday nights at 8 in the 90s meant that it was time for "Home Improvement." My favorite episode ever is "The Man's Kitchen," which is from the 3rd season, due to come to DVD soon. Everything about that episode is so awesome! In fact, ever since I was a little boy watching this show, I always wanted a kitchen like that! Many other memorable moments have happened on this show that stays completely in our minds: for example, there's an episode where Tim drops an I-beam on Jill's Chevy Nomad! Of course, all throughout the series after that episode, we "HI" fans would always remember back on that funny part! If no one has ever seen "Home Improvement" yet, then I highly suggest you watch it. You, too, will be amazed!
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Classic
true_canadian21 May 2002
Home Improvement has now become like "The Simpsons" in that you are always seeking that illusive "never-seen-this-one-before" episode. Unfortunately, unlike the Simpsons, Tim Allen and the rest of the gang have stopped making Home Improvement, but I believe it will live on among the classics of family sit-coms like The Cosby Show.

Jonathan Taylor Thomas is especially brilliant in the role of smart-mouthed Randy Taylor, a role that obviously launched his career.

Tim Allen proves his slap stick humour is as brilliant as his Buzz Lightyear character, and support from Patricia Richardson (as Jill Taylor), Earl Hindman (as the hidden Wilson Wilson) and Richard Karn (as "my assistant Al Borland") makes Home Improvement great fun!

Be sure to tune in for the "Salute to...." humour!
23 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This was my favorite show!
Monika-514 January 2000
I grew up with "Home Improvement". I followed "HI" from its very first episode (I had just started 6th grade) to its last (I had finished my first year of college). This was a fun show because you could relate to the Taylor family. I always laughed at Al's flannel wardrobe, his mom (!), and his relationship with Ilene. I loved the episode of Tool Time with the car alarm ("Back away, Flannel Man!")

It was a great eight seasons. I miss "Home Improvement" and the people on it. But we'll always have our memories. (and reruns!)
22 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a half-way good run
mcfly-3119 October 2000
The first four seasons of this fam-com had some of the most sharply written battle of the sexes dialogue anywhere. The bi-play of Allen and Richardson was perfect, which makes you glad her character was re-cast at the last minute. It would be hard to imagine anyone else with better timing to play his wife. But unfortunately at about the beginning of the 94-95 season, much of the writing and producing staff changed and the show suffered. They managed to crank out a decent amount of good episodes the next couple of years, but after that, it plain and simple just didn't make me laugh anymore. Bland scripts, with none of the earlier punch that the show had, took up the last few years, that mercifully ended in May of 99. Hard to believe that Allen and Co. lasted almost a whole decade in our living rooms, but for me the loyal viewing ended about midway into the run. Before the writing went in the standard sitcom direction, the show offered some of the funniest stuff I'd scene. Allen's silly outlook on life, that included worshipping auto racers and football players, and living and dying with his tools and hot rods, was fodder for a lot of good episodes. The kids were good in the mix, too, with Thomas being the real star of the 3, a good young actor with terrific delivery. Bryan, though older, was a subpar performer, with dull line readings the entire run of the show. And Smith sort of forgotten in the backround as the youngest son, doing neither good or bad with his part. He was just kind of there, and turned into some kind of goth lover, wearing all black most of the time and dying his hair that same color. Karn rounded out one of the better comedy teams as Allen's goody-goody assistant on his home improvement cable tv show. The show itself introduced some unconventional teqniques, like the screen dropping cuts to the next scene, the use of bloopers in the final credits and the often heard but never seen neighbor, Hindman. As Wilson, he usually offered up some sort of poetic advice which Allen would inadvertently twist and contort that would net an easy laugh. There were also a pair of gorgeous "tool girls" that spiced up Allen's show, Pam Anderson and the stunning Debbe Dunning. In catching up on the some of the years I missed thru re-runs, it seemed they introduced more of the extended family later on. Richardson's parents and sisters and Allen's brother's, one of which became a regular (O' Leary). He actually ended up getting seperated from his wife at one point, and seemed to become a full time performer, but then had his role limited to guest shots. Young Thomas left the show in his own, one year before the final season. Citing that he wanted to concentrate on college, it was later revealed that he and Allen had a bad off-screen relationship. Thomas didn't even turn up for the finale. Tim's poker and tool shop buddies became more widely used on the show, though I could've done without the worthless, brain-dead moocher, Benny. Everything came to a close as Al was married off to a frumpy millionaire and the family relocated to give Jill a chance at her dream job. The final moment was a ridiculous shot of the family towing their house across water(!) so they wouldn't have to live without it. I have to say that the behind the scenes look back and curtain calls were better than the actual episode. Oh, well, some good years in there made it enjoyable for awhile.
28 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Still holds almost 10 years later
Josef Silvia5 July 2008
As a young kid growing up in the 90s, I distinctly remember watching this show when over my friends' house, or whenever my parents watched it--which wasn't much because my Dad hardly ever watched sitcoms. When the show went into syndication, that's when I started really watching the shows, although by then they were reruns.

Now, as a young adult and watching this show on DVD, I must really say that it still holds up well. Very few things are outdated, thanks to the good writing and acting. For a modern sitcom, it's very clean (of course many 90s shows were) and very enjoyable. Good, wholesome family fun, which can't be said of many sitcoms today (unfortunately).

I give the show a 8 out of 10, simply because nothing is perfect, and Home Improvement has never claimed to be perfect, but it sure is a lot of fun.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this