IMDb > "Darkwing Duck" (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Darkwing Duck"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Darkwing Duck" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Should Have Taped More Episodes.

Author: Nicholai from Minnesota
21 July 2003

This show represents the ultimate regret that I failed to tape more shows from the halcyon days when the cartoons were kings. I taped all of two episodes from that show and blindly placed my trust that the tradition of great cartooning would continue for me to enjoy even as an adult.

Now those cartoons are replaced by cable-channel reruns, cheap Japanese imports, or superfluous morning news programs, and I'm left with the slowly fading memories of those shows.

But the one show that refuses to be forgotten because of it's uniqueness and charm is the one, the only Dark-weeeeeng Duck!

I've heard of superheros who got into the business in order to defend truth, justice and - well, you know the rest.

I've heard of superheros who were inspired to do so because of some life-changing trauma they've experienced at the hands of a criminal.

But a superhero who gets his kicks because of an ego streak?

That's Darkwing Duck for you: the daring, death-defying duck-billed defender of the denizens against the evil forces of darkness, doom and any other grandiloquent alliterations that looks good in a comic book panel. Heck, who needs a comic book when you have a vainglorious vigilante who constantly provides his own narration - even while making breakfast (if he can achieve that in one piece!)

This setup makes for perhaps the most satisfying half-hour of superhero-based animation I have ever experienced. Sure, Superman, Batman, the G.I. Joes and other conventional heros in this genre are all good and well, but they are as never as full-rounded as Darkwing Duck. Those other heroes can be so. . .so. . .morally, ethically and methodically impeccable in such a way that it gets boring after a while. Hell, I frequently find myself rooting for the bad guys just so those darn boy scouts will be revealed as, well, HUMAN.

Not so with DW. The show successfully lampoons all those other superhero show by having Darkwing encompass pretty much all of the antihero qualities you aren't supposed to occur in a conventional animated superhero. He's obstinant, short sighted, short-tempered, impetuous, arrogant, imperious, clumsy to the point that recalls Inspector Clouseau. Did I forget to mention the "ego the size of a small planet"? At times, these traits get so in the way of his crimefighting that it becomes difficult to tell the "hero" apart from the villain.

When you think about it, the idea that superheros can constantly save the day without developing a severe ego streak is ridiculous on its face. So it's should be logical that that should happen in this case, especially when you are dealing with a character who tries deperately to compensate for his lack of actual superpowers.

We all know that in the end, even when he seems overwhelmed by his negatives, his positive attributes will eventually win over and help him defeat the villain du jour. When he's at his best, he really is daring, ingenious, resourceful and kindhearted to boot.

Darkwing/Drake Mallard's adopted daughter Gosalyn provides the heart needed for this show, plus she provides a worthy counterpart to DW's more explosive personality. She is also independent minded, hot-tempered and careless, yet at the bottom very sweet. Launchpad, besides providing a bridge to that other popular duckbilled show, makes up for his simpleminded ways with his unwavering loyalty to DW.

If there's a failing for this show, it would be the fact that since it's a children's show it can get peurile at times (plus it leaves me starving for more violence). But I won't hold that against them and give it the sterling accolades it deserves.

**** out of ****

The Terror that Flaps - an absolute gem

Author: Darkwing-16 from Lancaster, England
1 March 2001

Probably the best cartoon to come out of Disney in quite a while, Darkwing Duck was somewhat darker than the average Disney fare and managed to touch upon some serious issues. However, it also could be extremely funny, with Darkwing's over-dramatic entrances, his ego 'the size of a small planet' and his arguments with his daughter.

There's a whole new set of villains to be thwarted by the terror that flaps: NegaDuck, Megavolt, Quackerjack, Liquidator (a parody of Penguin from Batman) and Bushroot; collectively the Fearsome Five. Not to mention the evil F.O.W.L. and its chief agent, Steelbeak.

Fortunately, DW has help. DuckTales' Launchpad McQuack is on his usual form, performing some excellent crashes in DW's Thunderquack and playing a good sidekick; GizmoDuck occasionally shows up fresh from Duckberg to drive DW crazy; Gosalyn, his daughter (who has a greater capacity for getting into trouble than Huey, Dewey and Louie put together!); and, last but not least, Morgana McCawber, sorceress and one-time crook.

As you can probably tell, this is my favourite Disney cartoon bar none. A couple of videos were released in Britain, and DW played on the Disney Channel for a while, but it has been far too long since Darkwing graced our terrestrial screens. Any Americans who have the Disney Channel and/or Toon Disney should count themselves very lucky indeed to be able to watch this absolute gem.

This aint Disney!!

Author: Movie Mac from Queensland, Australia
31 January 2001

I wouldn't have been surprised if Paul Verhoeven or Tim Burton directed one or two of the episodes of this show! I can't believe Disney let it through, of all studios!! This is real biting stuff, and it's twisted, demented and weird. I loved it. It was my favourite Saturday morning cartoon and my pick as the best of Disney's animated series'. This was a show like "The Simpsons", where every scene was a rip-off of something. And yet it existed in its own imaginative world, not so over-the-top that it doesn't make some kind-of sense. Darkwing's enormous ego is the best rip-off of superheroes I have ever encountered. And those villains!!!! Batman would have stopped to say: Nice powers. As far as TV goes, especially animated TV, this is among the best of it, I think!

Very Funny Cartoon!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
21 May 2004

Darkwing Duck is the most hilarious cartoon done by Disney! Darkwing Duck is a show that spoofs famous superheroes! Plus in this cartoon Launchpad McQuack from Ducktales is in this cartoon as Darkwing's sidekick and Gizmoduck is in it also who Darkwing is very jealous of for stealing his fame in St. Conard! My favorite villains on Darkwing Duck are Negaduck (my #1 favorite DWD villain), Megavolt, Bushroot, Liquidator and Steelbeak! I don't like Quackerjack because he is so annoying because he uses toys as weapons and his plans are not clever! Plus I liked a lot of Darkwing's gadgets he uses like his gas gun and other things. Darkwing Duck brings back a lot of my childhood memories, not to mention I dressed liked him once for halloween. It sucks how Disney now airs terrible cartoons that are just unoriginal and just crap, 1990's Disney Afternoon cartoons are the best and they're will never be a replacement for that! Overall awesome cartoon and hilarious!

One of the wittiest, funniest cartoons ever made.

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
21 March 2004

I love this show and I used to watch it during its short four-year stretch on ABC. Jim Cummings (Tigger, Winnie the Pooh, the guard from "Shrek") provides the voice of Darkwing Duck, a sort of equivalent of Batman for a duck world.

Along with his pilot sidekick, daughter and trusty motorcycle, Darkwing Duck fights crime with a vengeance -- and a pretty good sense of humor.

I love this show and I really hope they'll release the DVD so I can revisit them. I haven't seen an episode in years and I've love to see some again.

ABC/Disney, please release a DVD!

Sigh... A classic of my childhood.

Author: crowrobot
8 August 2005

When I was growing up, a little child of the 90's, the coolest show around (in my opinion) was Disney's highly hilarious superhero cartoon "Darkwing Duck". Every chance I got I followed the adventures of the egotistical crime fighter. Sadly, those days are gone and done, with mostly crap cartoons littering the networks these days. But "Darkwing Duck" reigns supreme.

One thing that you always remember about the show was it's sense of humor. The jokes ranged from cartoony pratfalls to satire to the just plain odd. The voice talent is also hilarious, with the immortal Jim Cummings in the spotlight as the title role (and about 4 or 5 other characters). Cummings was truly uproarious as the crimefighter with "the ego the size of a small planet" (in one villain's words).

It's been a long time since "Darkwing Duck" was canceled. But it lives on in all children of the 90's memories. Disney, PLEASE release a DVD!

Let's get dangerous... but not too dangerous.

Author: SSJAniFan from Pine Valley, California
16 July 2003

In short........ DARKWING DUCK ROCKS! IT'S ONE OF DISNEY'S BEST! IT'S BRILLIANT!!!!! IT'S CRAZY! IT HAS SOME OF THE BEST SUPERHERO PARODIES EVER!

Who could forget the episode where we learned the "real," origin of Darkwing, which was a parody of Superman. Or the Spider-man parody episode? Or that Darkwing's rogues gallery mirrored other comic book supervillains?

This was hilarious, with of course due thanks to Jim Cummings, who provided Darkwing's voice. What can I say, he's a genius! It's so funny when Darkwing is constantly trying to get attention, but failing to do so, or losing it to someone like Gizmo-duck!

I have a question though: why'd they change the theme song? It was played on the Disney Channel when DD first appeared, but after it was moved to Fox, they changed it, and it has stayed that way since. I have an original episode that plays the first version of the theme song, and I prefer it much more.

BOTTOM LINE: A funny cartoon! A Disney great! Too bad now they're making junk like Teacher's Pet.

A Disney classic

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
4 January 2000

A fun cartoon series for the family, Darkwing Duck was a clever parody of DC and Marvel comics. Unlike all those other parodies, this show was smart and could pull it off. The stories were inventive right up to the end of the show. And even though it was smart, it didn't mean it had to be serious. This was a crazy, funny and zany cartoon.

Fully as it was quacked up to be!

Author: uds3 from Longmont, Colorado
22 March 2002

Hey, what would life have been a decade ago without DARKWING DUCK?

I actually bought a video years back for my (then) young kids who were transfixed by the deeds of Mr Darkwing. Obviously lifted from the BATMAN concept and with nefarious villains around to allow DARKWING DUCK to win out ultimately, bringing with each victory some social lesson to be learned, each episode was a feathered triumph to savor. As his inimitable "Bruce Wayne" alter ego Drake Mallard, Darkwing would defend to the death the honor of the least threatened creature while reminding us of many of life's little obligations.

Multi-layered animation for the aware.

Cartoons Of The 90's: Darkwing Duck

Author: FloatingOpera7 from United States
21 April 2006

Disney's Darkwing Duck (1990-1993): Starring Jim Cummings, Terence McGovern, Christine Cavanaugh, Katie Leigh, Dan Castalleneta, Charles Adler, Jack Angel, Michael Bell, Sheryl Bernstein, Allice Beasley, Don Bonvinglo, S. Scott Bullock, Will Calloway, Joey Carmen, Miriam Flynn, Ron Feinberg, Arnold Geldermen, Gerard Hernandez, Phil Hartman..Director John Benke, Writers Jon Benke and Gordon Bressack From around 1987 to 1993, Disney produced its own cartoons- first DuckTales and then this spin-off Darkwing Duck. Both cartoons focused on the adventures of ducks. Launchpad MacQuack, the clumsy but ultimately wonderful pilot/hero from DuckTales reprises his role in this cartoon. The premise: Darkwing Duck (Jim Cummings) is a comic parody of Bat Man and basically every other Super Hero. He is however more like a pathetic, lovable Don Quixote. He thinks he's the best hero in the universe but he's a walking disaster area. He speaks grandiloquently about every little task he performs. Ultimately, it's his pre-teen, sweet but resourceful ward Gosalyn Mallard and her smart/nerdy best friend Honkers who saves the day. He fought crime his own way, though, and often managed to do well for himself. His arch-nemesis was the Quakerjack, a Jack-in-the-box-Duck who is an obvious parody of the Joker in Batman. Other villains included The Liquidator who had the power to flood the world as he was made of water. Gizmo Duck from DuckTales returned various times to the show, probably because he was so cool and popular. The show's plots are now hazy memories. What I do remember is that this cartoon series was one of dozens that hit daytime television for kids after school. Back then, cartoons were a lot better for various reasons. The characters were far more interesting and well-developed, there was formal plots and there was no inside agenda like the deliberate endorsement of products or toys. Too bad it's not available on DVD. They should at least show it on Cartoon Network. It was truly a great cartoon series with a lot of great writing, it was hilarious, it was engaging and it was fun. Darkwing's true love was the eerie, vampiric Morgana who had ghoulish relatives. ....He was the terror that flapped in the night. you know the rest...

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]