IMDb > "Clarissa Explains It All" (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Clarissa Explains It All"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Clarissa Explains It All" More at IMDbPro »

Moxie and spunk.

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
26 December 2004

Clarissa Explains it All may have been modeled on the successes of 1) Ferris Bueler and 2) Blossom. Melissa Joan Hart really got her start on this Nickelodean comedy aimed for younger teen and some pre-teen audiences as Clarissa Darling, a teen girl who often had a few minor dilemmas to work out in each episode. If I were to watch this show now, I'd probably remark how extremely corny it is, but then again, the humor and depth (or lack there of) doesn't have to carry on with me as I get older, since that isn't the point.

Clarissa Explains It All, nonetheless had some great things going for it. For one, it was one of the rare occasions that a show was headlined by a young teen girl, and a rather spunky one at that. Few times do we see this in the early 90s, other than Blossom and later, with another Nickelodean series, The Secret World of Alec Max. Something like Zach Morris and Ferris Beuler were able to do, Clarissa often addressed the audience, usually to reiterate how things are going or to give advice for solving those problems. And they were usually minor things, like dealing with a sneaky older brother, Furgeson, or getting out of some mundane chore. Harmless things like that as rarely did Nickelodeon, if ever, touch upon anything but neutral topics (save the short-lived half-hour news program). She was a likable character and not whiny or obnoxious, although her parents were usually nerds. She had a pet aligator named Elvis, a cool neighbor named Sam, and usually programmed computer games as the ideal way of planning a solution to her problems. It was an amusing show that tried to do things a little differently than the same old, same old. And it seemed to have worked, since the show lasted three years (which is still pretty good, considering).

Nickelodeon did have a quite a few good teen and pre-teen based shows on air in the early 90s. Among them were 'The Adventures of Pete and Pete,' 'The Secret World of Alec Max,' 'Are You Afriad of the Dark?' and of course, 'Clarissa Explains It All.' Check out the show if you can. If American television continues creating garbage shows, then these kinds of shows are truly the last of their kind.

this came on when i was 11...

Author: melissey from boston
26 April 2001

and Clarissa quickly became my hero. I watched it all the time. Then, there were reruns, and I watched them too ~! Hahaha! I was addicted to this show, I dunno why. It did for me what Punky Brewster did for me when I was 5. I remember Blossom being on the same time and thinking Blossom wasn't half as cool as Clarissa :)

Clarissa's room was really awesome, too. Remember in the beginning when she had Elvis, the Lizard?

I wish Nick would show reruns again...

A GOOD Nick REAL LIFE Show

Author: sixersgurl91 from New Jersey
16 November 2002

Of all Nicks real life TV shows this has got to be the best. After this show Nick lost it's touch with real life TV shows (i.e. All That-new ones- The Amanda Show...). For now, Nick should just stick to making cartoon because none of their real life TV shows have hit it off. Clarissa was one of my favorite TV shows and that will never change, it dealt with real problems, had good plots, good acting, what more can you ask for in a kid's TV show.

I give this show a 10/10!

Entertaining like you can't imagine

Author: xxlittlekittenxx from United States
15 January 2003

I was born in 1986, and this show came on Nick when I was five. I was a little young during its original run to seriously enjoy it, but now that it's back on Noggin (who are also reviving the genius classic 'The Adventures of Pete and Pete') I think it's one of the most fantastically entertaining shows out there. It may not be the most ground breaking and original show I've ever seen in my life, but it really doesn't matter for the fact that you just can't get enough of it!

Clarissa Darling is a hip and smart high school girl who has the coolest outfits (not to mention the coolest room!) and often finds herself in complicated situations (such as dancing in a talent show and going on a blind date). She also has a little brother from hell named Ferguson (AKA Ferg-face or Ferg-wad), who always tries hard to become a businessman, stand-up comic... you name it.

The parents are just kind of average, but Sam's awesome because it's not too often you see a girl's best friend who's a guy (on a TV show that is).

So all in all, give this show a shot if you get Noggin. It's a classic for all of us who were born in the '80s and grew up in the early '90s. : )

Clarissa was better than most

Author: evil_dancer_girl from IL
12 March 2004

I saw a comment downing Clarissa, All i have to say to this is.. you must be young. I'm only 21 but the crap that is on tv today is just.. well.. how did you put it.. stupid. Rugrats is ok ( i liked the first two seasons best) Other than that cable isn't worth $50 a month anymore. What do I remember about my horrid childhood.. Clarissa, may not have been the most action filled, graphic intense show out there at the time but at least it taught good morals which is more than I can say about most tv out there..And yes I know I sound far older than I am.. If you still think clarssia is stupid, go out and rent "shane" or the black and white "cheaper by the dozen" even the old "parent trap" Those were low cost, cheap graphic movies as well but they are classics to everyone with character.

A Great Series

Author: Ginger87 from New York City
16 July 2005

"Clarissa Explains It All" was a classic Nick show that aired in the early '90's. I remember watching it on SNICK when I was younger with my sister.

"Clarissa Explains It All" told the story of Clarissa Darling, a young girl who wanted to be a journalist. She lived with her mom, dad, and her brother Ferguson. Her best friend was her neighbor, Sam, who came in through her window everyday. There was also her pet alligator Elvis.

My all time favorite episodes were "Haunted House" and "Sam in Love", though, all the episodes were classics. I also thought the acting in this show was very well done, including Melissa Joan Hart as Clarissa.

I miss the days when Nick aired classic shows. I give "Clarissa Explains It All" 10/10 stars.

Clarissa Still Explains It All

Author: danielagerch from Argentina
18 June 2006

Clarissa Explains It All is one of my favorites shows in my entire life and I have seen a LOT of them. I adore every minute of the series and every character... even Ferguson, the awful Ferguson. Melissa Joan Hart is really an amazing actress and as Clarissa she prove it... too bad, she hasn't had the movie carrer I wanted for her. Clarissa, rigth... one of my fav. characters is Sam. Clarissa's Best friend, who until the last episode didn't seem to know how to use the door. I don't remember much about her parentes except they were very, very funny. Clarissa is a MUST SEE to all children, teens and grown ups. Really the best show ever!!!

The way I am toward "Friends" now....

Author: cousteau
20 September 2000

....is the way I used to be with "Clarissa Explains It All." Meaning, you don't think all day 'oh, man, i gotta see the show tonight', but you kinda' plan on doing it; or if you're flipping through the channels and "Clarissa" pops up, you're glued, and HAVE to watch it til the end.

My two favorite recurring elements in the show were: (1)The animosity Clarissa had toward 'Ferg-face'(one of his many "clarissa" nicknames!), and the energetic, off-the-wall, intelligent, and of course hilarious arguments between the two because of simple childhood sibling rivalry. Also(2) The fact that the show made her look so technologically 'astute' to her computer. It was rediculous, but at the time being 12 or 13, I was actually hoping it was real so that I would be able to turn my computer screen into a cable TV screen if I got grounded from TV!!

Anyway, the parents are nothing special, Sam is ok, but the two most memorable characters by *far* were Clarissa and Ferguson Darling.

Right on the money

Author: Becca Avery (kkrabby89)
6 April 2003

You hit it right on the money, Cousteau. Clarissa was a cute show with other people who have to deal with the teen years (need I say more) Clarissa is a witty, fun character who, well, tells it like it is. The only thing I disagree with is that repetatedly she talked about her life being a teenage hell. She's pretty, popular, has awesome style, loving parents, and tons of revenge on Fergbreath. I'm so angry that Nickeloden took it off air and replaced it with Catdog, Butt Ugly, Martians, Spongebob, and all the other poor excuses for shows. We need Clarissa so Nickoloden will still have some sanity.

The pretty blonde was only the "hook".

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
20 February 2010

Man! those were the days of my early like for Nickelodeon. It was around 1993 when got cable and spent hours watching this particular channel.

"Clarissa Explains it All" was one of the most popular shows because most puberts felt identified with Clarissa. To be honest with you, I had a huge crush on Melissa Joan Hart and that's why I watched the show. She was the most perfect female blonde on t.v.!

Then, on the entertainment factor, the show had it all. It was good for kids, puberts, and probably some teens.

I can't really determine if the show could fit in today's standards for teenage fun. The show was somewhat cheesy, naive, and felt uncomfortable while trying to add a moral message when Clarissa solved her "situations". It's a new generation people!

Still, I had fond memories towards this one.