IMDb > "Blossom" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Blossom"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Blossom" More at IMDbPro »

i loved this show!

Author: louisemcmahon (louisemcmahon@smackdown96.freeserve.co.uk) from london
21 September 2002

i discovered blossom when i was at home years ago off sick from school and ever since i was hooked! I loved the character of her brother joey. he always made me crack up just because he was so dumb! i also really liked the character vinnie in show (purely because of his good looks!!) i'm surprised that most of the people i talk to either dont like the show or havent even heard of it! I love it and still watch the re runs whenever they were on.

I really adore this one!!!

Author: canto-3 from RIo Grande Do Sul, Brazil
20 November 1999

I must to say. This show is one of the best shows ever done. The actors are amazing and the histories are excellent. The characters are very well developed through the show, and each episode is best than the other.

This show treats about problems that happen in youngsters life. Every episode is very funny and good, and here in Brazil, it gives high audience. And I can proof this. SBT, the channel that airs Blossom Sunday to Friday, aired the show from the start to the end, and repeated 3 seasons (I´m not sure) around 4 times. And it´s still been aired. I watch the episodes several times and love to see them again. This show is serious when it has to be, and funny when it has to be.

A good mother/daughter show.

Author: swedensm from southern Sweden
26 November 2003

Blossom wasn't supposed to be "MacBeth". Okay, there was a lot of fluff and silliness in the show -- sometimes embarrassingly so. But I had three teenage daughters during it's run and the show opened a lot of opportunity for us to talk about important things.

I will always remember this show with great fondness and Bill Bixby has been a favorite since the old "Courtship of Eddie's Father" series (yes, I'm THAT old!). He brought class to everything he touched.

not bad...

Author: angeldust-rcg
22 March 2002

I've been watching the re-runs of "Blossom", and I feel guilty because I like it. This show has good acting, kind of funny plots, and a beautiful and skilled lead .. uhm, actress. Watch "Blossom" if you don't have anything else to do.

Striking in its day

Author: analyst12 from Tucson, AZ
26 September 2005

Here's the short version: though it looked like many of its contemporaries (such as Full House and Family Matters), Blossom got to tackle several groundbreaking issues, which is ultimately what defined the show as a series.

I know it seems trite; there were whole seasons where we heard about another "very special Blossom" where they tackled some social issue, but the fact is, they *were* taking them on. Yes, Joey Lawrence was a pretty boy, and yes, in retrospect the plot seems kind of contrived. However, in a comparison against more recent shows, 7th heaven has an entire cast of resurrected Joey Lawrences, and traditionally ripped off half of Blossom's scripts.

I'll tell you what I remember. I remember that this show had the first TV dad that I actually felt empathy for *consistently* and that I'll never forget the time that he almost hit his eldest son for falling off the wagon. To this day, I still have mixed feelings about watching that episode, but not one of those feelings is disdain.

If you can, check out the first few seasons of the show - especially the "very special Blossom's."

Wow!

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
6 April 2006

Blossom Russo's (Mayim Bialik) mother has left the family.She has to share the house with men, the father Nick (Ted Wass) and two brothers, a recovering drug addict Tony (Michael Stoyanov) and the dummy Joey (Joey Lawrence).Her best friend is Six (Jenna von Oÿ), who could talk incredibly fast.A boyfriend for a couple of years was Vinnie (David Lascher).Carol (Finola Hughes) became Nick's love interest and she had a daughter called Kennedy (Courtney Chase).Barnard Hughes was the granddad Buzz Richman.Blossom ran in the years 1991-1995 with a spectacular cast.Mayim Bialik was born for the role of Blossom.The show was pretty darn funny but it also dealt with dramatic subjects.It did it with style.I became a huge fan of the show in the mid 90's.It's a shame they haven't showed it here in about ten years.I sure do miss it.

Sun is going to surely shine

Author: hellraiser7 from United States
6 June 2016

I was a kid from the 90's and of course it was an era when the comedy/sitcom shows were still strong and colorful. And yeah I watched a lot of these late night and this show was one of them.

This show I feel is a bit of an under the radar gem, it's hasn't exactly been overlooked or underrated because this show was actually really popular for it's time, heck it even had a doll lineup released for three of the characters of the show Blossom, Six, and Joey. But as time went on it's became slightly forgotten but as a kid from the 90's decade I've never forgotten, and despite not being a big fan of the comedy show genre, this show I have a soft spot for where I actually don't mind seeing again every once in a while.

What I like about the show is how it sort of broke conventional dynamic, instead of the usual by the numbers family unit here this was a girl whom lives with two older brothers and a single father. Which I personally found interesting and something different seeing how this one single girl lives with a family unit that's all male, I find there is some truth to this because there are some family units which consist of idiosyncrasy combinations.

I really like the character Blossom, Mayim I think is a solid and I think a bit of an underrated actress that I don't feel gets enough. I like the fact that this is a teenager that doesn't look like someone from the CW or MTV whom always look like damn supermodels which is kinda strange when you think about it. She really looks like someone you could of easily saw or passed by at your school, which makes her easy to identify and relate to, and personally I think pretty and kinda cute.

But her persona I think is great and I think it was a little based on the actress herself as she not the kind of girl that would be in a in crowd or popular, but she doesn't want to be either of them she is a person that just wants to do her own thing, much like most of the clothes she wears. She's spunky, energetic, she has sharp and at time smart alec charisma, highly intelligent, responsible, insecure sometimes, she has big dreams and does her best to make them come true; so in a way her character is a bit of a role model.

However the show isn't all about Blossom as it does focus and develop on some of the other characters around her. Six (Jenny Von Oy) I also thought was pretty and cute, I really like the back and forth between both Blossom and her, it's sort of a quirky dynamic. One thing that was unique about her is how she is this dam of information that just completely bursts and flood out when she spouts it all out as fast as someone that drank a few too many capachinos.

Joey (Joey Larance) I really like, he was sort of a modern day Vinny Barbarino, he was oh so handsome and yet oh so dumb. Though I don't think he really that dumb he can actually be really smart sometime when he actually focuses hard enough. But what I liked about him was despite his head not being in the right place his heart always was. I like that he does have humanity he is there for his family and also he alone has big dreams to and puts effort to give himself the best.

Nick Russo I really like, he really feels like a real single dad as he is worried about the well being of his children and he is doing the best he can to keep a roof over their head, give them the best, but also himself the best as we see him struggling to maintain and possibly make it big in his career in music/entertainment.

This also makes the parenting dynamic with Blossom interesting because instead of a mom to rely on for wisdom it's her dad, which can be a bit challenging as there are some issues that he might not be able to help Blossom with due to the content but he tries all the same and even tries to understand her perspective on things which makes it all the more touching.

I really like most of the episodes where some are really colorful like one of my favs is the "Seven Deadly Sins" episode which was fun just seeing the cast exercise the different persona aspects. To even some really serious ones like a really sad episode of Joey recollecting the ball games his mom never made it too.

And of course there is that theme song "In my Opinionation"which I think is solid fun and really catchy, from the dancing and outfits that are put on that theme sequence it just screams 90's. And that another thing that sort of makes the show stand out, it's almost like looking into a time capsule as we how much this show really was a piece of it's decade. The hair styles, music, wardrobe, trends, dances, bits of dialog, you name it it's all there.

So it definitely worth watching if your into 90's nostalgia, or if you interested in classic comedy/sitcom shows then like any flower it is worth a look.

The Sun surely shines for Blossom.

Rating: 3 stars

blooming cute

Author: RavenGlamDVDCollector from South Africa
31 October 2014

This is cute, it is like so cute. Before I go on, be advised my review is simply based on just having seen the 1990 pilot episode, and the 1991 first episode (which is quite confusing, what with the cast change / whole set-up change)

I read about this show years and years ago in mags like SEVENTEEN when it was new. During those days, you had to rely on your local TV to bring the shows home and, well, they fell far, far short. A couple of decades later, with a fanfare, here's DVD, and I can import whatever I choose... if it has been released. So, last year I got BLOSSOM after initially being told it wasn't available. Only got to it tonight after delving through my stacks last week. I can see why I wanted to see it back then, though I cannot remember the articles & photographs.

Mayim Bialik is absolutely a must-see. She is the very definition of cute. A certain inner energy. A scene stealer. Although, okay, she cannot really steal what she has already pocketed from The Word Go. The cast change (with the two Dads) doesn't really matter, however confusing I felt it to be tonight. It's all about Mayim. She is a tiny little force.

A pity these things happened, let me count, 24 years ago! Otherwise I'd have sat here tonight and predicted great things for her in Hollywood.

Kids of today will be puzzled by a show with land-line telephones and Madonna-era fashion, but they should all concur that the character is gloriously charming. Mothers, it is not often that RavenGlamDVDCollector reviews something as innocuous as this, but here's something that this old guy just likes, and that you would like, and if you can tear your little brats away from the mass- produced junk out there today, stupid reality shows and questionable hip-hop dreck, they would at least have seen something from a better age...

Great show

Author: jhu262 from United States
4 February 2009

well Mayim Bialik went back to school and got her PhD in neuroscience at Yale or Harvard she was accepted at both, she hasn't done too badly I hear she getting back to acting slowly she is a very Bright Young Lady joey Lawrence is still acting but with not much success but he was very good on Blossom as was Ted Wass and the girl who played Six. This show was thought provoking and had dealt with serious issues I think it was a very good writing show I'm glad it has finally been released on DVD way over due i hope they release the rest of the series soon They need more shows like this that are well written and acted And less of Hanna Montana and Disney

One of my all time favorite TV shows

Author: jmarieinca from United States
29 January 2008

I loved this show because I was a teenager at the time and now in my 20's I still love it because it brings back memories. Looking back now, I related to Blossom's situations and I have/had a huge crush on Joey Lawrence, especially when he blossomed! This show has good values, and is family oriented. I also like the guest stars on, but I don't know names, their faces look familiar. I especially like the Paris episodes when Blossom goes to try find her mother and the Beach Blossom Party episodes - they stand out the most to me. I think his Joey' real-life brothers are on one of the episodes, too. I wish this TV show lasted longer, at least until '96, this show is a blast to watch over again.