IMDb > "Blossom" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Blossom" More at IMDbPro »

Striking in its day

Author: analyst12 from Tucson, AZ
26 September 2005

Here's the short version: though it looked like many of its contemporaries (such as Full House and Family Matters), Blossom got to tackle several groundbreaking issues, which is ultimately what defined the show as a series.

I know it seems trite; there were whole seasons where we heard about another "very special Blossom" where they tackled some social issue, but the fact is, they *were* taking them on. Yes, Joey Lawrence was a pretty boy, and yes, in retrospect the plot seems kind of contrived. However, in a comparison against more recent shows, 7th heaven has an entire cast of resurrected Joey Lawrences, and traditionally ripped off half of Blossom's scripts.

I'll tell you what I remember. I remember that this show had the first TV dad that I actually felt empathy for *consistently* and that I'll never forget the time that he almost hit his eldest son for falling off the wagon. To this day, I still have mixed feelings about watching that episode, but not one of those feelings is disdain.

If you can, check out the first few seasons of the show - especially the "very special Blossom's."

Wow!

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
6 April 2006

Blossom Russo's (Mayim Bialik) mother has left the family.She has to share the house with men, the father Nick (Ted Wass) and two brothers, a recovering drug addict Tony (Michael Stoyanov) and the dummy Joey (Joey Lawrence).Her best friend is Six (Jenna von Oÿ), who could talk incredibly fast.A boyfriend for a couple of years was Vinnie (David Lascher).Carol (Finola Hughes) became Nick's love interest and she had a daughter called Kennedy (Courtney Chase).Barnard Hughes was the granddad Buzz Richman.Blossom ran in the years 1991-1995 with a spectacular cast.Mayim Bialik was born for the role of Blossom.The show was pretty darn funny but it also dealt with dramatic subjects.It did it with style.I became a huge fan of the show in the mid 90's.It's a shame they haven't showed it here in about ten years.I sure do miss it.

Wouldn't even last a full season in this day age

Author: adavis (aheckle@yahoo.com) from Memphis, TN
5 December 2003

If this show was created today the major networks wouldn't touch it. It would be another horrible WB sitcom that runs a season or two. When they came out with the list of 50 worst shows of all time this show should have been on it. Around this time producers were obsessed with making Mayim Bialik a major star, because of her 10 minute role in the movie Beaches. A real sign that this show wasn't as popular as the E network and Entertainment Tonight made it out to be was when they made a TV movie and it placed in the bottom 5. Another sign was the actors have not done much since the show ended. Joey Lawrence's new show only ran 2 seasons and I just saw Bialik for the first time in while on 7th heaven. In late 80's and early 90's the theme for sitcoms was to be really sappy and luckily that has changed.

Horrible! This Show Was Utter Crap!

Author: CannonBall22 from New York
24 March 2017

Blech! I remember this lame ass show. It came on after Fresh Prince on Monday nights. This show was awful and preachy. It was unfunny, badly acted, poorly written, and just plain stupid! Every episode was some serious Very Special Episode. First of all the name of the show and main character is Blossom. Aww how cute... NOT! Vomits in bucket. The opening intro was pure cringe of Mayim Bialik in some hideous supposed to be cute flowery outfit with a hat dancing around like a total doofus. The lyrics of the theme song were horrific "In my opinationation, the sun is gonna surely shine"! Yuck!

The dad was a terrible actor. I got sick of hearing about older brother Tony's past alcoholic addiction EVERY SINGLE EPISODE! Joey was the dumb idiot brother. Six was her motor mouth fast talking best friend which got old after a while. Who the hell name's their kid Six? And we've got Blossom who ugly as hell. She was unattractive and had the worst frumpy wardrobe. Are we supposed to believe she can get someone as hot as Vinnie to date her. Or the episode where Blossom dressed up and went to a party and as she walked past guys they would drop there drinks and ignore there girlfriends just to gawk at Blossom. Oh PLEASE!!!! Ugh.... How in hell did ugly horse face Mayim Bialik get her own show?

Why are the best friends in these Teen sitcoms better than the main characters. Six was way hotter and more likable than snobby know-it - all ugly bitchy brat Blossom. God, she was such an annoying goody two shoes. No high school boy with a brain would turn down Six for an ugly turd like Blossom.

The plots were stupid and ridiculous. Remember the episode when Salt N Pepa showed up at her house singing "Let's Talk About Sex" in her living room. When Blossom and Six were queuing for concert C'n'C music factory tickets and suddenly the aforementioned music factory turn up and they all start dancing to Blossom's lame beat box.

I remember the last season gotten really horrible when they tried to make it a family sitcom like Full House when the dad married that British lady and she and her daughter Kennedy and dog moved into the Russo home. Her daughter had the worst British accent I ever heard! And then they added the little black kid next door neighbor who similar to Urkel and they had Joey and Kennedy do these cutesy Uncle Jesse and Michelle like scenes. NBC's cue to cancel this trash!

The only reason this crappy show lasted as long as did was because Joey Lawrence was hot and Jenny Von Oy's sweet ass in those tight shorts and jeans. Otherwise this garbage would have bit the dust after one season. Blossom is the finest example of bad 90's fashion and television. This show was horrible in so many ways, I never understood why it was on.

One of my all time favorite TV shows

Author: jmarieinca from United States
29 January 2008

I loved this show because I was a teenager at the time and now in my 20's I still love it because it brings back memories. Looking back now, I related to Blossom's situations and I have/had a huge crush on Joey Lawrence, especially when he blossomed! This show has good values, and is family oriented. I also like the guest stars on, but I don't know names, their faces look familiar. I especially like the Paris episodes when Blossom goes to try find her mother and the Beach Blossom Party episodes - they stand out the most to me. I think his Joey' real-life brothers are on one of the episodes, too. I wish this TV show lasted longer, at least until '96, this show is a blast to watch over again.

I love this show!

Author: ladies_pinch from United Kingdom
6 September 2005

This show was and still is really, really funny so many people give it bad reviews saying how it wasn't funny and was corny! Sure it was a little corny but that was part of its charm! I mean all sitcoms are a little corny even really successful sitcoms like friends ad will and grace are corny every now and again! I never really watched it when it first aired seeing as that was in 1991 (and i was a baby!!!!) But i watched it on British channels as i got older and i really loved it! Even though it was a little dated by the time i saw it, it didn't matter it was till funny! I saw it ages ago on Nickelodeon but its off the air for now!!! Put it back on Nickelodeon!!!!!! Even though it was called 'Blossom' Joey was really the star of the show! Even though he played a really dumb character, but he was so funny and so hot! I even say his catch phrase 'WHOA!' Any way i miss the show and can't wait to some British channel puts it back in the air ! (HINT HINT NICKELODEON!!!)

Up there in re-run heaven

Author: Mickey Tveter from New York
14 January 2000

From the absolutely non-catchy theme song to the interesting assortment of characters (a druggie, a moron, another moron that wants to sleep with the first moron, etc..) to the lame storylines (Will Blossom have sex? was the topic of at least 10 episodes) Blossom never ceased to underachieve. The Russo's were like the Cosby's except for being less funny and in more need of therapy. Mr. Russo always went on about his dead wife and Joey Lawrence became the main character by default because the other characters were uber-Urkels. It was a sign of its times. Blossom, while credit is given for creativity, often wore what looked like scraps from the fabric store stapled together for the maximum defect. I see it on re-runs every now and then but why? Maybe if you want to see why NBC was always suffering low ratings in the years before "Friends" and "Seinfeld."

blooming cute

Author: RavenGlamDVDCollector from South Africa
31 October 2014

This is cute, it is like so cute. Before I go on, be advised my review is simply based on just having seen the 1990 pilot episode, and the 1991 first episode (which is quite confusing, what with the cast change / whole set-up change)

I read about this show years and years ago in mags like SEVENTEEN when it was new. During those days, you had to rely on your local TV to bring the shows home and, well, they fell far, far short. A couple of decades later, with a fanfare, here's DVD, and I can import whatever I choose... if it has been released. So, last year I got BLOSSOM after initially being told it wasn't available. Only got to it tonight after delving through my stacks last week. I can see why I wanted to see it back then, though I cannot remember the articles & photographs.

Mayim Bialik is absolutely a must-see. She is the very definition of cute. A certain inner energy. A scene stealer. Although, okay, she cannot really steal what she has already pocketed from The Word Go. The cast change (with the two Dads) doesn't really matter, however confusing I felt it to be tonight. It's all about Mayim. She is a tiny little force.

A pity these things happened, let me count, 24 years ago! Otherwise I'd have sat here tonight and predicted great things for her in Hollywood.

Kids of today will be puzzled by a show with land-line telephones and Madonna-era fashion, but they should all concur that the character is gloriously charming. Mothers, it is not often that RavenGlamDVDCollector reviews something as innocuous as this, but here's something that this old guy just likes, and that you would like, and if you can tear your little brats away from the mass- produced junk out there today, stupid reality shows and questionable hip-hop dreck, they would at least have seen something from a better age...

One of my favorite shows!!!!!!

Author: queenofdarkness
18 February 2003

First of all I want to start of that for people who haven't seen Blossom at all or are still watching, DON'T read this, cause it may spoil some things for you (sorry:)). But I just wanted to say that Blossom is one of my favorite shows it's a re-run (for the second time!!) and I still love to watch it. The show especially won my heart over, when Shelley and Anthony got married and when they had a child. I just loved that. I was a great move by the producers to make Anthony marry a woman from an other race. That proves that Love is (color)blind. I just loved Shelley and Anthony's characters. I also loved Kennedy, she was so cute!! I was 14 when the show stopped and I'm 22 now and......it's just great! It brings me back to those days and I love it!!!!!

I Don't Care If It's Never Been "Cool" to Like This Show!

Author: Jubilee-3 from New Jersey
29 April 1999

I will admit that I loved this program. It was never hip, but then again, popularity has never been my goal. I thought that the whole cast was great, and I even had a book about the show. All the characters were so cool, and I found it to be very entertaining. If anyone can catch this on syndication, do it. It'll be worth your time.