IMDb > "Blossom" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Blossom"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Blossom" More at IMDbPro »

Quite possible the greatest achievement in the history of mankind

Author: Gacrux from Valencia, CA
30 October 2006

If aliens landed on planet earth I would give them four things to help them understand humanity: #1- Marcel Proust's "À la recherche du temps perdu." #2- Beethoven's "Symphony No. 9 in D minor, opus 125." #3- Da Vinci's "The Last Supper." #4- The complete series of NBC's "Blossom." Now why would I say such a thing. To provoke a strong reaction or elicit a chuckle? That is but 10% of the reason why. This is a criminally underrated show. The dialogue took your average sitcom to the intellectual woodshed and the fantasy conversations gave it a whuppin' with the leather strap of self-referential meta-fantasy. We are not dealing with simple characters here. We are dealing with Jungian archetypes taken to a depth that most people can't understand. Joey is perhaps the greatest example of "Puer Aeternus" I've ever seen in my lifetime. And his "whoa." Whoa. It's existential. Like "if a tree falls in the woods..." The answer is "Whoa." If you want challenging TV drama I suggest you delve into the labyrinthine complexities of the world we privileged few know as... "Blossom."

This and Full House every weekday

Author: Renee
11 November 2001

I am only 15, so I don't really remember this show when it originally aired. But a few years ago (I was maybe ten) they used to play it every week day after I got home from school. I started watching it and soon it was just a daily habbit I couldn't break. Although, the fashions & some of the antics are completely outdated..whenever I see it it brings back good memories. This and Full House every weekday...and they were shows that made me feel happy.

Haven't watched it on 5 years but the memories are good.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
21 January 2007

Overall entertaining family sitcom with the occasional sensual situations and the problems of growing...

With a not so conventional beauty like Mayim Bialik, "Blossom" centered on all of it's main characters to develop a plot on every episode. Blossom was the principal character but the show didn't focused on her 100%. Joey Lawrence was a rising star and at some points in the series run, he was stealing the show. The character of six also had her great moments.

Well I started watching this show for Bialik. I felt attracted to her for unknown reasons. I mean, she isn't beautiful in the likes of Hollywood but she had an on screen charm that only a few have.

The situations were surprisingly interesting in most episodes and involved problems of teens and young adults. So don't expect a "Full House" comedy situations.

Give a try to "Blossom" because it's certainly different. Those were the days...

One of the best sit-coms of the 90's

Author: amanda_adams122000 from West Midlands, England
25 January 2004

It was not only funny, but a lot of the situations that Blossom went through was what I experienced as a teenager growing up and therefore I could relate to. It had a positive message in educating young people about issues such as alcohol, drugs and teenage pregnancy. It also showed what it's like for a single father to raise three children and his fear for the dates that his daughter brings home and above all how to overcome their problems as a family unit. Many stars fade out past their teens, but Joey Lawrence's career has esculated further as a result of Blossom's success so it couldn't been all that bad for him, playing a complete dimwit.

This Is Such A Classic Show!

Author: famousgir1 from London/England
15 September 2001

Blossom is definitely a classic show, which will be remembered forever by all those who watched it. The show is about teenager Blossom Russo, played brilliantly by Mayim Bialik. She lives with her father, Nick (Ted Wass.) and her two brothers, Joey (Cute Joey Lawrence.) and Anthony. (Michael Stoyanov.) and has a boy crazy 'chatterbox' best friend, Six. ( Jenna von Oÿ.) The show follows Blossom's life, with her ups and downs, her boyfriends and of course, her family life and much more. There's a great cast in the show, including, the special guests that have appeared. I love the theme song to the show too. It's really great. One more mention to the brilliant Mayim Bialik, who is a fantastic actress. (And, has a GREAT great sense too.) I hope to see more of her in the future. Blossom is an award winning 10/10 show.

i loved this show!

Author: louisemcmahon (louisemcmahon@smackdown96.freeserve.co.uk) from london
21 September 2002

i discovered blossom when i was at home years ago off sick from school and ever since i was hooked! I loved the character of her brother joey. he always made me crack up just because he was so dumb! i also really liked the character vinnie in show (purely because of his good looks!!) i'm surprised that most of the people i talk to either dont like the show or havent even heard of it! I love it and still watch the re runs whenever they were on.

I really adore this one!!!

Author: canto-3 from RIo Grande Do Sul, Brazil
20 November 1999

I must to say. This show is one of the best shows ever done. The actors are amazing and the histories are excellent. The characters are very well developed through the show, and each episode is best than the other.

This show treats about problems that happen in youngsters life. Every episode is very funny and good, and here in Brazil, it gives high audience. And I can proof this. SBT, the channel that airs Blossom Sunday to Friday, aired the show from the start to the end, and repeated 3 seasons (I´m not sure) around 4 times. And it´s still been aired. I watch the episodes several times and love to see them again. This show is serious when it has to be, and funny when it has to be.

A good mother/daughter show.

Author: swedensm from southern Sweden
26 November 2003

Blossom wasn't supposed to be "MacBeth". Okay, there was a lot of fluff and silliness in the show -- sometimes embarrassingly so. But I had three teenage daughters during it's run and the show opened a lot of opportunity for us to talk about important things.

I will always remember this show with great fondness and Bill Bixby has been a favorite since the old "Courtship of Eddie's Father" series (yes, I'm THAT old!). He brought class to everything he touched.

Striking in its day

Author: analyst12 from Tucson, AZ
26 September 2005

Here's the short version: though it looked like many of its contemporaries (such as Full House and Family Matters), Blossom got to tackle several groundbreaking issues, which is ultimately what defined the show as a series.

I know it seems trite; there were whole seasons where we heard about another "very special Blossom" where they tackled some social issue, but the fact is, they *were* taking them on. Yes, Joey Lawrence was a pretty boy, and yes, in retrospect the plot seems kind of contrived. However, in a comparison against more recent shows, 7th heaven has an entire cast of resurrected Joey Lawrences, and traditionally ripped off half of Blossom's scripts.

I'll tell you what I remember. I remember that this show had the first TV dad that I actually felt empathy for *consistently* and that I'll never forget the time that he almost hit his eldest son for falling off the wagon. To this day, I still have mixed feelings about watching that episode, but not one of those feelings is disdain.

If you can, check out the first few seasons of the show - especially the "very special Blossom's."

Wow!

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
6 April 2006

Blossom Russo's (Mayim Bialik) mother has left the family.She has to share the house with men, the father Nick (Ted Wass) and two brothers, a recovering drug addict Tony (Michael Stoyanov) and the dummy Joey (Joey Lawrence).Her best friend is Six (Jenna von Oÿ), who could talk incredibly fast.A boyfriend for a couple of years was Vinnie (David Lascher).Carol (Finola Hughes) became Nick's love interest and she had a daughter called Kennedy (Courtney Chase).Barnard Hughes was the granddad Buzz Richman.Blossom ran in the years 1991-1995 with a spectacular cast.Mayim Bialik was born for the role of Blossom.The show was pretty darn funny but it also dealt with dramatic subjects.It did it with style.I became a huge fan of the show in the mid 90's.It's a shame they haven't showed it here in about ten years.I sure do miss it.